Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

SD Ohana - Meetup Group - Bali Hai

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 293 replies

SK

On 2013-06-24 14:18, lunavideogames wrote:
Sofa King,
Have you seen this yet? You should sue... :)

Thanks bro. My lawyer is all over this.

On 2013-06-24 14:18, lunavideogames wrote:

Bamalamalu,
Here is the Raglan "rum drink" in all its glory. Even down to the passion fruit froth. I want to go get one right now...

I think I will go get one of these today.

Will we see you guys at the Bali Hai on Monday after you get off work?

I might get one today too. Dangerous!

Yes, we will be there Monday. Sadly in August I will be out of town for a wedding. It will be good to see everyone on Monday!

P

Pacific Shores in OB has been running ads saying they feature mai-tais. They are not horrible, but just this side of it. Should have known better.

Who is ready for one of these?

Monday is the first Monday of July. See you all Monday!

Aloha!

Tiki Slinger (AKA) John

[ Edited by: Tiki Slinger 2014-03-12 02:03 ]

T

John, sorry I will miss you guys this month (unless you guys will be staying late, have to work) but hope to see everyone next month. Thanks for organizing once again.

On other San Diego Mai Tai recs, I'm still surprised by the quality (layered, Hawaiian style) & strength of one I had at Tidewaters in Solana Beach- though that was 7 or 8 years ago. Not sure if the quality is as it used to be- keep meaning to go try it out. Especially good, even if it's in a Solana Beach sports bar. C-Level makes a pretty great one, too- beautifully presented, just hard to get a seat there.

I do love the High Dive, and the owner is a huge tiki fan. They often have Mai Tais on tap- made, I think, with the new Ballast Point (local brewery and spirit maker) Mai Tai mix. If you live in SD and haven't tried any of their beers- or spirits, I highly recommend them. Their "Three Sheets Rum" for cocktails. There's a good review for it (scroll down to the bottom) here: http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/06/3-must-try-american-rums-review-railean-bull-run-pacific-rum-ballast-point-three-sheets.html

I work until 8 but they stay open til 10ish, so we will still be there. You should try to make it if you can!

[ Edited by: lunavideogames 2013-06-30 16:28 ]

A

I expect I'll be there by 6.

P

I'll be there on time for last call if I make it all!

Planning to be there by around 7. We can't stay too late, but hopefully we'll be able catch both some of the earlier and later arrivals!

A very fun afternoon and I had a blast with some really cool people! This is it San Diego, we've gotta make it happen!

[ Edited by: Rapa Nui Rich 2013-07-01 20:57 ]

[ Edited by: Rapa Nui Rich 2013-07-01 20:59 ]

The July Meet-up was a good one. We closed the place again this month.

The July group was strong.

The group with special guests Bill Graff, Alan Knepper and Maria Ferro.

Ted and Amy.

Patric, Mark and Cynde.

Elena and I.

Barry, Joni and Chris.

Mahalo to all that came out. For those of you who haven't joined us, be there for the August meet-up!

Tiki Slinger (AKA) John

[ Edited by: Tiki Slinger 2014-03-12 02:03 ]

A
Al-ii posted on Tue, Jul 2, 2013 7:57 AM

It was a stones groove my man!!! I'll see you at the next one!!

A

You guys closed the place? Wow, you're tougher than me. Anyway, good to see everyone.

Stay Tiki, my friends.....

T

Thanks for all the information about goings-on in San Diego! I really appreciate it. One more question, though. Has anyone been to Islands Sushi and PuPu Bar at the Crown Plaza? Is it just Polynesian food, or id there any tiki tilt to the place?

I have not been, but I believe they are tikiless.

On 2013-07-09 15:30, TikiTie wrote:
Thanks for all the information about goings-on in San Diego! I really appreciate it. One more question, though. Has anyone been to Islands Sushi and PuPu Bar at the Crown Plaza? Is it just Polynesian food, or id there any tiki tilt to the place?

It is just a Sushi place, but plenty of Tiki around the Crown Plaza.

T

Thanks!

KS

Not that good a sushi place either..:

Umi Sushi is great in my opinion, right by Trader Mort's.

I think Kiwi Steve liked it too.

I love the Lobster Rolls!

[ Edited by: lunavideogames 2013-07-09 19:37 ]

KS

Yes, Umi sushi is way better!!! Have some sashimi, then head over to the Bali Hai for drinks & apps... Good Times!!!!!!!

On 2013-07-09 19:05, Kiwi Steve wrote:
Not that good a sushi place either..:

I concur....

On 2013-07-02 09:06, arriano wrote:
You guys closed the place? Wow, you're tougher than me. Anyway, good to see everyone.

We are going to close it again this Monday. Come out and join us and see what all the fun is about. One of our members has a special announcement and we are going to discuss the upcoming Tiki Oasis here in town, so don't miss it. See you on Monday.

Also if you haven't seen our Facebook page here is the link below. Join us on FB.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/620008348012136/

Mahalo!

I'll be joining you guys for the next one!

On 2013-08-01 12:50, PolynesianPop wrote:
I'll be joining you guys for the next one!

Welcome Adrian,

It will be good to see you on Monday.

Aloha!

Tiki Slinger (AKA) John

[ Edited by: Tiki Slinger 2014-03-12 02:04 ]

P

Gonna have to miss this one. I'll be at the Hollywood Bowl that night.

• Anders
A

We'll be there -- probably around 6

I won't be able to make it tonight, I am off to a wedding. Please have a Mai Tai for me, and a Navy Grog, and a Goof Punch.

Have fun!

T

John, I'll be there (unfortunately, after happy hour ends). Looking forward to seeing all of the SD Ohana!

KS

I'll be there too, but later... Don't run them dry just yet!!!

SK

How late in the evening do these gathering usually last?

We usually close the place down. We stay until 10 or they kick us out.

M

Sounds like fun.

Nice to see you all. Here's a pic from Al-ii's phone last night. Any other pics?

Biggest meet up yet! We had 36 people last night and close the place once again..

We took over the entire lounge area.

Some of the ladies got their Lava Slide on.

Come join us next month if there's anything left of you after Tiki Oasis.

We had many new faces this month and we want to see more next time. Thanks Adrian for coming down from Corona to see us yesterday.

See you guys soon.

Mahalo

Tiki Slinger (AKA) John

[ Edited by: Tiki Slinger 2013-08-06 12:15 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Slinger 2014-03-12 02:05 ]

T

Wow, great turn out last night as the SD Ohana took over the Bali Hai! Sorry I had to split early, but another great meet up. Thanks so much John for organizing once again.

Great folks, drinks, and eats. I think soon we'll need a bigger boat (I may have said this yesterday, but it IS Shark Week all week....)

Surprisingly only one photo this time:

S

So great to see you guys doing this night! How lucky you all are to have such a beautiful place to meet up also :)

Cannot wait to get to the Bali Hai next week for Oasis after a far too long break between visits.

Thanks for the pictures!

Great turnout! We almost didn't make it and unfortunately had to bail out early, but were really glad we went.
Looking forward to next month!

Aloha Friends,

Our next get together is Monday the 2nd, Labor Day. The question has been asked, will we meet on Labor Day? The answer is, yes. Come out and join the fun. Since some of you won't be working, you might be able to get there before the end of Happy Hour at 6 PM. Elena and I will be there early on Monday, at 5 PM. We need to unwind and recap all the craziness from Tiki Oasis. Lots of good stories this year.

See you all then.

Mahalo

Tiki Slinger (AKA) John

[ Edited by: Tiki Slinger 2014-03-12 02:04 ]

Timing is good for me. I'll see you guys there!

On 2013-08-26 10:43, PolynesianPop wrote:
Timing is good for me. I'll see you guys there!

GREAT!

I'll be there, especially to take advantage of happy hour...

I will make it, but I have to work so I will be there later. See you there!

Since I missed the Thurs nite of oasis,
I'm gonna try to make it down for this.

Jeff btd

sounds like fun.

We're planning to be there, but it'll be on the early side (5-ish?) since we'll be coming straight from the airport again (I swear we don't really go to Frankie's EVERY month.)

T

Sorry to say will have to miss this one- celebrating anniversary w/ wife, apparently I'm not supposed to celebrate w/ 30 of my closest tiki friends (according to her. We'll see, it's an argument in process). :)

bamalamalu, SURE you don't go to Frankie's every month... every week?

John, thanks for organizing once again.... the first go at the SD Ohana pendant didn't go so well (cracked), will post photos as the sculpt continues!

Tiki Ano/ David

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 293 replies