Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

SD Ohana - Meetup Group - Bali Hai

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 293 replies

Sorry for the late Meet Up post for October, but I was out of town this month….

October Bali Hai Meet Up was a special one.

David brought pendants he made for all the Meet Up Ohana. Thanks David for your gifts. I'd bet you'll be having some Mai Tais coming your way.

The SD Ohana on this hot evening was Trish, Doug, Derek, Nick, Matt ,David, Erik, Elena, Roxanne.

Not pictured: Treg, Emily, and Anders.
MNF fans don't fret, there are TV screens in the bar.
Thank you Elena for holding down the hut while I was away.

Mucho Mahalo!

Tiki Slinger (AKA) John

[ Edited by: John Slinger 2013-11-05 21:59 ]

[ Edited by: John Slinger 2014-03-12 02:11 ]

Hey Tiki Peeps make sure you check out our Facebook page and join to see the latest shenanigans of the Bali Hai Ohana.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/620008348012136/

Huzzah!

Tiki Slinger (AKA) John

Last nights November meeting was all to ourselves. There was hardly any patrons at the Polynesian Palace last night. We outnumbered them for sure.

Tiki Secret… Someone in the group last night has some upcoming special information you will all hear about soon. I'm not saying anymore about it, but if you know her you might know what it is, oops.

Roll Call: Myself (behind the camera, story of my life), Elena, Amy, Ted, David, new Ohana member Norm, Mark, Chris, Jen, April, and Richard.

By pure Tiki magic we had a new friend join us who you may all know already, the well-known artist Norm Daniels. He happen to be there at the bar last night as he is a regular and the Bali Hai staff ( thanks Josh) directed him our way because they know how to bring ohana together. David and Norm chatting up and sharing trade secrets.

I got to get my pendant last night because I missed last months Meet Up and so did a few others. Mahalo TikiAno!

See you all next month, Monday Dec. 2nd, Huzzah!

Tiki Slinger (AKA) John

[ Edited by: John Slinger 2013-11-05 23:03 ]

[ Edited by: John Slinger 2013-11-09 10:51 ]

Thanks for organizing - we had a great time, see you next month! Next time in full color.

[ Edited by: SailorJenny 2013-11-06 11:18 ]

T

John, thanks for organizing once again. Great meeting new folk- I bet Norm comes next time- I think a few people there heard this, but it was great hearing him talk about the early days at the Bali Hai- and the work that he (and his father?) did there. We also have a ton of mutual friends/ contacts, and remembered my business from its early days. Good times.

There are still some SD Ohana pendants left- but not too many. i keep bringing lots to the meet ups, and then some mysteriously disappear along the way. Damn rum.

Bump for tonight!

MM

Moai Mike and friend Dave are at the bar!

I will be there after work, hopefully soon!

Well it's 2014 and our first Meet-Up of the year is this Monday. The Ohana will still be glowing with New Years cheer. Remember, Newbies are always welcome, come out and join the fun. See you all there.

Mahalo

T

(Bump). Who'll be there on Monday?

We will! Makes Monday worthwhile.
Hope to see a big crowd!

Here is our Christmas meet up Crew from last month. Come out and be a part of this months New Year's kick off. I was out of town for the last one but I'll be there tonight!

RICHARD, CYNDE, MARK, APRIL, DAVE, MIKE, ARIAN AND LEE

JOSH, NORM, MICHELLE, NATHAN, AMY, TED, RICHARD, CYNDE, MARK AND APRIL

The Goof was in the spirit too.

Bring your pendants tonight if you've got one.

Happy New Year! Hau'oli Makahiki Hou

[ Edited by: John Slinger 2014-01-06 10:27 ]

Should be fun! I haven't been to Bali Hai all year so this will be a good excuse :)

On 2014-01-06 11:10, lunavideogames wrote:
Should be fun! I haven't been to Bali Hai all year so this will be a good excuse :)

We'll put an end to that dry spell tonight.

T

John, nice pendant!

Wish I could make it. A mai tai is a great way to start the week (not to mention the new year...)!

The Ohana had a good time tonight. We were ready for those Mai Tais to salute 2014. We shared our holiday stories and cooked up some good ideas for the new year ahead. Ohana role call tonight was…

Ted & Amy, David, Richard, Barry & Joni, Chris and Elena

Ted & Amy, Emily and Treg, Elena & Me (Also Anders not pictured)

Aloha!

Tiki Slinger (AKA) John

[ Edited by: John Slinger 2014-01-07 00:05 ]

[ Edited by: John Slinger 2014-01-07 00:06 ]

[ Edited by: John Slinger 2014-01-07 00:06 ]

[ Edited by: John Slinger 2014-03-12 02:12 ]

We should be able to make it earlier tomorrow, hope to see some earlybirds that we don't get to see as often. It should be fun.

KS

Bummer... I won't be able to make it. One of my team mates has an extra Kings ticket, so I'm heading to LA today. Stopping at Damon's to get their new mug with a Mai Tai, then to Trader Vic's for some pre-game shenanigans... Have Fun!!!!!!!

T

John and I (Elena) will be there by 5:30 pm, just in time to order the first round during happy hour!

T

@KiwiSteve, sounds like a fun night! Hope to see you next month!
@lunavideogames, Yeah!!! Glad you can come early!

We're hoping to be there by 6:30. See everyone soon!

February group in force. Elena, Me, Mark, Cynde, Joni, Chris, Barry, April, Richard, Treg, Emily, Amy and Ted.

See ya'll next month.

Mahalo, Tiki Slinger

T

Sorry I missed you guys... hope all is well!

David / Tiki Ano

Tomorrow night!

Hope to see everyone out on Monday. We kick off at 6 PM, but Elena and I will be there at 5:30 for the early birds. Rumor has it that we will have a special guest, Buzzy Meeker tiki artist extraordinaire. Also, there will be an announcement about our April meet up. It will be a legendary evening with a special musical guest and private room. It will be our greatest meet up yet.

Mahalo

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Mar 3, 2014 9:37 AM

Hi Folks -

I'm coming too, will have some info about volunteering at Tiki Oasis. See you at 6:30!

Won't be there til later, but I will be there. See you later.

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Mar 4, 2014 10:32 AM

Hey, I'd like to try a vinyl exchange at the next meetup; just bring some Exotica/Hawaiian albums you'd like to trade and lets do it!

Anybody in for that?

This monthly meet up looks really fun, Count me in for next time and hopefully I'll get to meet some new people who have tiki fever too

[ Edited by: MissClaireTiki 2014-03-26 23:22 ]

The next one will be a doozy! Be sure to RSVP in the thread below or on the Facebook page for this one (normally that isn't necessary, but the April meet-up will be an extra special event.)

Hope to meet you there!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=47352&forum=17

Here is the rollcall from our March meetup.

Mahalo, John

On 2014-03-27 20:46, bamalamalu wrote:
The next one will be a doozy! Be sure to RSVP in the thread below or on the Facebook page for this one (normally that isn't necessary, but the April meet-up will be an extra special event.)

Hope to meet you there!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=47352&forum=17

And if you are a Facebook person there is a page here as well.
https://www.facebook.com/events/553386708093203/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming

Additionally, this is our Meetup Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/620008348012136/

Mahalo, John

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Mar 29, 2014 9:57 AM

(This is the first double post I've ever done, I swear!)

Seeing as this is a music-themed meetup, I'm going to bring a whole lot of vinyl Exotica/Hawaiian/Comedy records. I'll trade them for just about anything, or sell them for $1 each! Hey, 3 for $2!

Including:
4 copies of Quiet Village.
Hawaiian Interlude w/Jonnie Aluani
Blue Hawaii/Billie Vaughn
Adventures in Paradise, Vol. 3
Hilo Hattie at the Hilton Hawaiian Village
Soft Sounds from the South Seas, Vol. 4
Hilo Hawaiians, Memories of Hawaii
Hilo Hawaiians, Honeymoon in Hawaii

my favorite -

Tahiti's South Seas Spectacular from the Waikiki Beachcomber Hotel, 2 shows nightly!

and...

5 Smothers Brothers albums!
7 Stan Freberg albums!

C ya there!

Check out our photos from our Creepxotica event last night here at...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=47352&forum=17&start=last&12

Hi all, after many set backs my wife and I are finally able to make the trip over there, unfortunately we wont make a Monday meeting to meet you all. We will be in San Diego from 13th to 15th of May, we will be checking out the Bali Hai one of these nights. What other Tiki bars would be worth a visit.
Thanks, Bevan

Hello Bamboo Bev,

Not really any other tiki bars in San Diego, but there are plenty not too far up north. Are you heading to Tiki Caliente? That is the weekend after those dates you posted. Or are you headed up to LA to check out some other tiki bars on your visit?

I am happy to give you any advice on things to do in San Diego, there are lots of fun things to do. Bali Hai is the only tiki bar, but there are plenty of craft cocktail bars and brewerys in the area.

On Tuesday evening, the first date you listed you will be in town, a few bars offer a Tiki Tuesday. Bar Pink is my favorite, but that is only on Tuesday.

Feel free to PM me with any advice you might need about San Diego or the whole of Southern California, I am happy to help. I hope you have a fun visit!

The Cat Eye Club in the Gasslamp District is moving towards tiki. I don't know if it's only on Thursdays or if it's going to be every day. My wife knows one of the owners and got me a menu. The ad card says Tiki Thursday, but I think it will be tiki every day in the near future. They owners are making the bartenders take mandatory classes, like the history of tiki, rum classes, etc... They are re-decorating a bit too. I don't know when they will be finished, but it sounds very promising!

Thank you for the info, from San Diego we head to Vegas then back to Palm Springs then heading up to Santa Maria its a shame we will miss that event in Palm Springs by a day, but we are trying to make the most of our trip

SK

This is the first time I’ve heard of the Cat Eye Club. (I do not get out much) I’m glad they are taking the time to pursue tiki drinks. It looks like they have a strict dress code.

I’d check out their dress code’s many restrictions before heading there. Have a safe and fun trip.

http://cateyeclubsd.com/dresscode.html

On 2014-04-26 09:24, Sofa King wrote:

This is the first time I’ve heard of the Cat Eye Club. (I do not get out much) I’m glad they are taking the time to pursue tiki drinks. It looks like they have a strict dress code.

I’d check out their dress code’s many restrictions before heading there. Have a safe and fun trip.

http://cateyeclubsd.com/dresscode.html

Patrons must have two forms of photo ID? Seriously? My California Driver's License would not be enough and I would have to dig out my passport to go to a bar in San Diego?

Good catch about the dress code! I just asked my wife & she says they aren't strict anymore. They need to update their site.

Thanks for the tip on this place. We'll have to check it out next time we're downtown (though that probably won't be til Comic Con!)

Creepxotica was awesome in April! Will there be a meet up on Monday May 5th?

Yes, there will be a Cinco de Mayo Monday meet up.

Aloha John

On 2014-04-24 22:34, Kiwi Steve wrote:
The Cat Eye Club in the Gasslamp District is moving towards tiki. I don't know if it's only on Thursdays or if it's going to be every day. My wife knows one of the owners and got me a menu. The ad card says Tiki Thursday, but I think it will be tiki every day in the near future. They owners are making the bartenders take mandatory classes, like the history of tiki, rum classes, etc... They are re-decorating a bit too. I don't know when they will be finished, but it sounds very promising!

I went downtown to check the tiki night out last thursday. Not busy and lots of seating. Patrons had broken every dress code restriction within the first hour I was there, so I think they just want people to come down no matter what they are wearing. Also I never got ID'd nor did I need 2 forms. Talked with David the bartender for quite some time. Sounds like they are getting more and more into rum and tiki drinks. They had a full menu of tiki drinks and you can order them any day, not just thursday (although they may be more strict on attire on Friday and Saturday nights). They are making a newer menu as well and refining their drinks. They also sponsored a room party at Caliente, so I think they really want this to work. It would have been nice if they had more tiki decor, but all and all it is worth seeing for yourself. We all know SD needs more tiki!

A

On 2014-05-20 12:03, lunavideogames wrote:

I went downtown to check the tiki night out last thursday. Not busy and lots of seating. Patrons had broken every dress code restriction within the first hour I was there, so I think they just want people to come down no matter what they are wearing. Also I never got ID'd nor did I need 2 forms. Talked with David the bartender for quite some time. Sounds like they are getting more and more into rum and tiki drinks. They had a full menu of tiki drinks and you can order them any day, not just thursday (although they may be more strict on attire on Friday and Saturday nights). They are making a newer menu as well and refining their drinks. They also sponsored a room party at Caliente, so I think they really want this to work. It would have been nice if they had more tiki decor, but all and all it is worth seeing for yourself. We all know SD needs more tiki!

Lunavideogames, thank you for your service. Here's an article about the tikification of Cat Eye Club:

http://sandiego.eater.com/archives/2014/05/15/east-villages-cat-eye-club-takes-itself-towards-tiki.php

Hmm. Well, I guess we better hurry:

"Managing partner Frank Miller says that Cat Eye will remain in tiki mode through the summer but come fall, the menu and theme may stay within the era but make a seasonal shift towards aperitif cocktails and fondue."

In other news, a week and a half til our next Bali Hai meetup!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 293 replies