Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

SD Ohana - Meetup Group - Bali Hai

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 293 replies

Alright! Looking forward to meeting you!

Kettner Exchange in Little Italy is having a 5 course Tiki dinner June 3rd and 17th. It seems really cool, unfortunately I cannot attend. I thought some of you guys might want to check out this cool tiki event in SD. Email [email protected] to reserve your seats. Here is a breakdown:

Kettner Exchange
2001 Kettner Blvd, San Diego, CA 92101
(619) 255-2001

$90 PER PERSON + TAX 8% + SERVICE CHARGE 21%

Course 1 - Fatty crab, soft shell, bok choy, cilantro, Texas toast
Scorpion Bowl
Gin, Navy Strength Rum, Cuban Style 151 Rum, Lime, Orange, Pineapple, Pomegranate, Falernum, Champagne

• Course 2 - Whole fried Awani, coconut, Vietnamese herbs, jasmine rice
    Piña Colada
    Jamaican Demerara Rum, Pineapple, Lime, Coconut

• Course 3 - OAK barrel roasted Jidori chicken, dandelion greens, potato purée, Sherry jus
    Tiki Cross
    White Rum, Jamaican Rum, Añejo Rum, Pineapple, Lime, Orgeat, Falernum, Curacao, Black Walnut Bitters

• Course 4 - Cookpigs pork belly, "Kettner smoked", watermelon, jalapeño, avocado purée
    Oaxacan Dead
    Mezcal, KEX Rum Blend, Pineapple, Lime, Passion Fruit, Pomegranate, Absinthe

• Course 5 - "Devil Donuts" ice cream donut sandwich
    Madagascar vanilla, Mexican chocolate
    Dominicana
    Añejo Rum, Coffee Liqueur, Creme Fresh, Caramel
    CHANGES AND MODIFICATIONS ARE POLIETLY DECLINED

CANCELATION POLICY:
Any cancellation by Engager must be in the form of a 24hr notice or a cancellation charge of 25% will be charged to the credit card below

It was great attending the San Diego Bali Hai Meet-Up yesterday. It was a very good turnout and I enjoyed meeting new friends. Great service at the Bali Hai (as usual).

I gave your group an assignment of a "TRAVELING COCKTAIL BOOK."

Here is how it works:
~ Richard Ford has kick-started this activity for your group.
~ He will make one cocktail out of all the recipes in the book.
~ Then he will sign his name on the top of that page, place any comments on the bottom, and use the stars to rate the drink.
~ Then Richard will bring the book to the next Monday Meet-Up, report out on his experience, and pass the book on to the next person who wants to try this out.
~ Same action over again (make a drink, sign your name, comment and rate the drink, bring the book to the next meeting to pass on.

Your group has Kevin Kahuna's Volume II Tiki Cocktail Book.
Here is the link to Kevin Kahuna's cocktail books. http://kahunakevin.com/

HAVE FUN!!!

E

Hello Bali Hai'ers (Not sure that is a term) We have finished the majority of the backyard hardscape around the Sharkbait Bar and are considering hosting an open invitation to all from the Crawl and the Monday night crew to help me drink my rum. Anyway summer is a busy time and many people have plans to travel and such. Any suggestions on a weekend or date? Also can open the pool for adventurous swimmers (current temp 88') Please let me know if there is any input, hoping for a date in August...

PS. How is Mimi doing, hope she is back up !

I am good at helping to drink rum!

I think you can pick any date and most of us will make it work and show up. Don't have it during Tiki Oasis :wink:

It would be cool to see your place, looking forward to it!

Mucho Mahalos for the great invitation. Bali Hai'ers is fine. This sounds like a proper gathering for us. For August, I would say Saturday the 8th or the 22nd would work. The 15th is Tiki Oasis as you may know. I propose that we potluck this so that we can all contribute to this event. We should do an RSVP to know the body count and then we can determine how much rum and food we will need to bring. I can help organize the appropriate assignments. Once you pick a date I can also announce it on the Facebook page.

Mahalo, John

E

Thanks for the feedback. I this the week before Tiki Oasis probably be better, warm up for the big event. Pot Luck sounds good I can save my pennies for Rum!

Aloha San Diego Meetups Crew! I have hoped to join you for a while but real life has scuttled my Tiki life for a while. I hope to join you at the next Bali Hai meetup and beyond. My parents went there back in the day and I have loved this place all my life. All my best, Jeff.

Tonight! Looking forward to meeting you, Jeff; and thanks for the future invitation, tamminjoe.

See everyone in a few (well, a bunch of) hours.

E
ECTiki posted on Mon, Jul 6, 2015 4:24 PM

I will be late to the meeting tonight. Will be leaving Fallbrook at 5:30 to 6:00 to head to the Bali Hai meet up. Please pass the word for the Sharkbait Bar Rum mixer on August 8th if I make to too late

J

Aloha all! Well, I'm stuck with work doing a special project - UGH! Sorry I have to miss the fun tonight. I really look forward to attending next time!

E
ECTiki posted on Tue, Jul 7, 2015 1:40 PM

Hello All! Well with the help of Mimi and Pinch we have set the date for the Sharkbait Bar party on 8-1-2015. I have been instructed to order everyone to wear swim attire, Beverages will be provided and some snacks. Please if you feel inclined to contribute to a pot luck it will be welcome. The Bar resides in Chula Vista near I-5 and J St. Please be kind and RSVP here or on Facebook so we know how much grog to have on hand. Look forward to raising a glass.....er Mug!

E
ECTiki posted on Thu, Jul 9, 2015 9:50 PM

BTW tried to post the same information on the Facebook page. Apparently we are still pending approval to join the group,,,, guess I will drink Rum while I am waiting!

On 2015-07-09 21:50, tamminjoe wrote:
BTW tried to post the same information on the Facebook page. Apparently we are still pending approval to join the group,,,, guess I will drink Rum while I am waiting!

You're approved now. You're good to go!

John

E

OK I have confirmed 10 coming to the Sharkbait bar this Saturday, anyone not on Facebook but monitoring Tiki Central thinking about attending? Please let me know

E

Urgent Development!!!!!! Tammi just fell off of a ladder while painting next to the pool. She suffered a minor scrape and thankfully will be fine. The pool however did not fare so well. The paint bucket she was holding went into the pool. We are now draining the pool. Based on the problems this has caused us we are going to cancel tomorrows get together. We apologize for the short notice and feel really bad. We will try to make it up to everyone at some future date.

Sorry to hear that. I hope everyone and everything is ok. What a bummer for you guys.

W
Wedgie posted on Sat, Aug 1, 2015 7:41 AM

Holy cow. Glad to hear Tammi is ok. Good luck with the clean-up effort.

Yikes! I'm so glad Tammi is OK. Hope the pool recovery isn't too awful.

I was feeling dopey last night when I suddenly realized this was scheduled for today and we hadn't replied. Hope we can make a future do-over.

Good luck with the clean up!

Take care...always time for a party in the future.

T

Great turn out for last night's SD Tiki Ohana at the Bali Hai. John, thanks again for organizing a bunch of werdos and getting us all together each month. Getting a preview pick up of the new BH mugs prior to their release at the TO Thursday Party at Bali Hai was groovy as well.

Also fun to see the Ohana expanding with the new arrivals and to-be arrivals!

Good times.

Polite Provisions is having a Tiki Night on Tuesday before Oasis. $1 from each drink goes to charity. 10% off with aloha attire. I might try to make it out there.

Tomorrow night!

Woohoo see you tomorrow.

Mahalo to the San Diego Ohana for allowing my wife, my grandaughter and me to crash your meet-up. Great to see John and Elena, Amy and Ted, Chris, Scott,Treg and Emily and their newguy Cole and many others. Tanks for the invite Bam. WE had a tikifferic time.
David and CeCe

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-02-01 22:38 ]

On 2016-02-01 22:36, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Mahalo to the San Diego Ohana for allowing my wife, my grandaughter and me to crash your meet-up. Great to see John and Elena, Amy and Ted, Chris, Scott,Treg and Emily and their newguy Cole and many others. Tanks for the invite Bam. WE had a tikifferic time.
David and CeCe

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2016-02-01 22:38 ]

Mahalo for joining us. It was good to see you guys down in our area.

It was great to see you guys! I'm glad you were still here for it.
Apologies for my other message not making sense: I misread your message and thought it said your granddaughter was 22 months old! It was nice to meet her and enjoy a drink together.

Glad everyone, both newly minted & of imbibing age made it. Great turnout!

Tonight!

Tonight's the night.

C
Cammo posted on Sun, May 1, 2016 7:20 AM

We have news about San Diego's Drop-Ins surf band for the Bali-Haiers, is this Monday happening?

Looks like it's summer out there...

On 2016-05-01 07:20, Cammo wrote:
We have news about San Diego's Drop-Ins surf band for the Bali-Haiers, is this Monday happening?

Looks like it's summer out there...

Right as rain. We meet every first Monday of the month. In fact, next month's (June) meet up will be our 3rd anniversary.

We are looking forward to hearing more about the Drop-Ins! See you there....

John (Tiki Slinger)

C
Cammo posted on Mon, May 2, 2016 10:33 AM

The Drop-Ins surf band starring Buzzy, Fuzzy and Danno will be playing this Friday, May 6th in San Diego!

The club just informed us that the event will be FREE: NO COVER CHARGE!!!

We'd really like to make this a special gig for all the Tiki Ohana, and we're going to have some posters and other giveaways.

The Drop-Ins play all classic 1960's surf music. It's gonna be a splashin' seaside bash.

INFO
Friday, May 6th, 9pm - 11:30pm
at the Blackthorn Pub
3010 Clairemont Drive
San Diego CA 92117
tel. (619) 276-3462
FREE, NO COVER CHARGE

[ Edited by: Cammo 2016-05-02 10:44 ]

Aloha Ohana,

At tomorrow's 3rd anniversary party meet up we are going to have some cool activities. First off our famous Ohana artist Norm Daniels will be personalizing SD Ohana mugs for you lucky people, so bring your mug and he will put your name on it. Also, we will be raffling off a handful of cool prizes that we have put together. IF ANYONE HAS SOMETHING THEY'D LIKE TO DONATE TO THE RAFFLE THAT WOULD BE AWESOME! Please bring it and let us know. Come celebrate with the Ohana tomorrow evening.

Mucho Mahalos, John and Elena

Cool! We have such a great SD Ohana :)

Anything a newbie needs to do or can I just drop by? I saw the note that for July it will be on the 11th.

My brother and I went to TikiBeat last month and it was a blast. Although we got some good-natured ribbing for not being in proper tiki garb :D

Aloha, Tiki Drifter - nothing to do in advance, just come on down!

We'll be the big colorful gang in the lounge area. Just grab a seat and say hello (though the turnout has been so great lately so we may need to start suggesting bringing your own chair!) The first people are usually there by around 5 - 5:30 and some usually remain at closing, so just head over at whenever time works for you.

Thanks for bumping this as a reminder: For July only, we'll be meeting on Monday the 11th due to the crazy holiday traffic and parking issues on Shelter Island on the 4th.

Cheers!

On 2016-06-27 10:27, bamalamalu wrote:
and some usually remain at closing

Hahah well it's a work night so I won't be one of those folks :D

Tornado Tiki and I will be in S.D. the weekend of July 15-17 and would appreciate if anybody can give us any info on hip happenings in the San Diego area.

Sure, let me know if you wanna meet up for a drink. I know all the spots. Feel free to PM me.

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Jun 29, 2016 5:53 PM

The Drop-Ins Big Summer Beach Party with Buzzy, Fuzzy and Danno will be playing Friday, July 8th in San Diego!

For the Tiki Ohana we'll be having a whole series of Free Raffles, specializing in CLASSIC EXOTICA VINYL and a special GRANDE TIKI PRIZE you're going to love.

This is gonna be a big one, come out for a groovy set of tunes and the Crazee Antics of our very own Buzzman from the House of Buzz, Upper Buzztown, U.S. of Buzz-A.

**INFO
Friday, July 8th, 9pm - 11:30pm
BLACKTHORN PUB
3010 Clairemont Drive
San Diego CA 92117
tel. (619) 276-3462

NO COVER CHARGE

FREE RAFFLE**

On 2016-06-27 08:58, Tiki Drifter wrote:
My brother and I went to TikiBeat last month and it was a blast. Although we got some good-natured ribbing for not being in proper tiki garb :D

http://sdcitybeat.com/galleries-view-photo-151-217-23261.html

We're famous!

Ok, so yes, I'll be the nerd who is posting here right after getting back from the event! :D

Such a good outing for this fledgling tikiphile! Met many good people, had >1 delicious beverages, and got lots of cutting edge tiki tips! I opened a new Evernote on my phone to keep track of suggestions about rums, mixers, bars, venues, and so much more. Also, @Atomicchick showed me photos of her home bar and kkkrrrraaaaaazy epic mug collection!!

Got lots of insider info on the upcoming Tiki Oasis and I didn't think it was possible to look forward to it more but I AM.

(...........and yes I need to purchase more aloha shirts.........)

Nice to meet you! Impressive turnout again, even with lots of people away for Tiki Kon. Sorry we didn't get to meet all the new folks - next month!

Is anyone going to the makeke at Don's this Saturday?

We are meeting every third Thursday at False Idol. Starts tonight! See you there.

M

On 2016-09-15 14:42, lunavideogames wrote:
We are meeting every third Thursday at False Idol. Starts tonight! See you there.

Well hey there.

I'm new to the meetups (attended my first at Bali Hai meetup a few weeks back after lurking on Tiki Central for 11 years) and have been frequenting False Idol since it opened. Is there a secret handshake, wink, or password needed to get in on third Thursdays. And if there is, how does one go about obtaining the secret to said handshake, wink, or password?

Looking forward to the next one.

Mahalo

I just sent you a personal message.

ANNOUNCEMENT! RSVP required!

Come join us for the 4th anniversary SD Ohana party, Monday June 5th downstairs in the Bali Hai South Pacific room. The celebration kicks off at 5:00pm with Super special musical guests, DJ Glen “The Mack” Gorham who will be spinning Tiki beats. Then at 6:30, Jason Lee and the Black Tides will take the stage to throw down their killer lounge surf tunes for all of us to enjoy.
This is a free show, so bring some clams for the tip jar. We will have a full bar and food available. I can't think of a more appropriate way to kick off the summer of 2017.

Important note: Please RSVP below with how many people in your group. We need this total number so the restaurant can properly supply and staff our party. To do so go to our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/620008348012136/permalink/1543235905689371/?comment_id=1543260332353595&ref=notif¬if_t=group_comment¬if_id=1495578607584373

If you're not a Facebook person, leave your RSVP below.

Mucho Mahalos

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 293 replies