Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Sven Kirsten's book: Tiki Pop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 244 replies

H

Available August 1, 2014:

Published to tie in with the "Tiki Pop" exhibition at the Musée du quai Branly in Paris.

http://www.quaibranly.fr/en/programmation/exhibitions/soon/tiki-pop.html

http://www.themalaymailonline.com/read/article/design-book-of-the-week-tiki-pop-by-sven-kirsten

[i]revised to change release date from September to August.

[ Edited by: Hakalugi 2014-06-23 19:00 ]

Pre-ordered!!!

Hellz-A-Poppin!

T

Could someone please clarify whether Sven's book Tiki Pop will be all "new" vintage material, not seen in either Book of Tiki or Tiki Modern? Thanks!

ORDERED.

T

On 2014-06-09 03:03, Thortiki wrote:
Could someone please clarify whether Sven's book Tiki Pop will be all "new" vintage material, not seen in either Book of Tiki or Tiki Modern? Thanks!

Well there's this quote from the book description online:

Featuring a large selection of previously unpublished images, the tome documents Tiki culture as a Western cultural phenomenon, juxtaposing movie posters against comic strips and Robinson Crusoe illustrations. 

Pre-ordered.

Can't wait to see the new book and do some time tripping back to tiki's glory days.

I'll buy it from the exhibition.

On 2014-06-13 05:31, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
I'll buy it from the exhibition.

Unfortunately, the book did not make it to the publisher in time to be available at the museum exhibition (at least not at the beginning).

This is going to be one epic Tiki tomb!

I'm getting two!

DC

Is there any benefit to pre-ordering? If not, I'll just wait until it's released.

Hi, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the benefit of pre-ordering is that Amazon has special pre-order pricing, and a guarantee that if the price drops you get it for that price.
Right now I see this:

Pre-Order: $44.98
List Price: $59.99
Save: $15.01 (25%)

I'm surprised Sven hasn't popped in to comment. I'd love to see a few sample spreads from the book!

"You can't eat real Polynesian food. It's the most horrible junk I've ever tasted." —Trader Vic Bergeron

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2014-06-13 11:13 ]

Sven showed me an advance copy........Epic! You won't be disappointed.

On 2014-06-13 11:13, TikiTacky wrote:
I'm surprised Sven hasn't popped in to comment. I'd love to see a few sample spreads from the book!

"You can't eat real Polynesian food. It's the most horrible junk I've ever tasted." —Trader Vic Bergeron

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2014-06-13 11:13 ]

Sven posted pictures of himself with the 400 page Tiki Pop book on Facebook. He's in Paris promoting the Tiki Pop exhibition.

Ah. "Facebook." I've heard rumors of it, but I thought it was a myth, like a curse or a demon.

Well I stand corrected, it looks like the book is in Paris!

DC

NICE !!!!

Hi guys, Sven in Paris here. I have to apologize for staying mum for so long on good ole Tiki Central, but I was just too overworked. It is one thing to write and lay out the biggest book of my Tiki career yet, but to do that in conjunction with assembling the biggest Tiki exhibition at the same time, it became downright stressful to fulfill all the demands put on me.

At times it seemed I had bit off more than I could chew. I underestimated the work load of both jobs together, and for a while it looked like the book would not make it in time for opening of the show - and Tiki was not fun anymore for me, but stressful work. Now who wants that to happen to them! :)

Well, I still have a week of intense setting-up of the show in the museum gallery space. The container arrived late (NOT my fault), and we have less time than planned to see how the close to 500 items fit into the showcases. But at least we are finally "making nails with heads" as they say in Germany, i.e. creating hands-on facts, instead of talking about it.

About the book: I was elated to see that it arrived a week early, and that it looks really good. It is a real humdinger!

I usually deem oversized books as impractical, but that fact that one can see all the images big, with their detail, and that it "tops" my previous works in volume makes its size appropriate.

Some folks will be annoyed by the parallel French text taking half of the text space, but this IS also the catalog for the show, and without the exhibit, this book would not exist.

I still don't know when it will be in stock at Amazon, but I am sure the discount and free shipping is not dependent on the pre-ordering or if you wait. There will be several book signings in LA at the end of July, and at Tiki Oasis, to be announced in time.

In the meantime, I snapped some double-pages for y'all. Enjoy! :)

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2014-06-15 00:27 ]

WOW...it looks amazing. I know my old eyes will be glad to have bigger pictures to gawk at. Nice to see Wendy's mug in the display mix, I am sure she will be thrilled with that. We all appreciate you taking the time for this wonderful preview. Best wishes for a great show.

"Oh waiter, another cocktail please!!!"

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2014-06-15 00:33 ]

Sven, bigger is always better! :lol:

FANTASTIC job Sven. Wish I could make the opening.

T

Sven you just SOLD me!

Congratulations Sven! Hope the book and the show are your biggest successes to date!

Can't wait to get my hands on that book!

Thanks for the update, Sven. Looking forward to getting my hands on a copy. When will they be available for us to purchase?

This book, on the heels of the amazing Retro Renovation symposium at Hukilau 2014, will be awe-inspiring and fire many of our imaginations.

Sven, we missed you in Fort Lauderdale this week. Hope to see you there again in 2015. You'll undoubtedly be asked to sign a number of books, so get that hand in shape while in Paris. Best wishes for a wonderful and successful exhibition.

On 2014-06-15 06:13, Big Kahuna wrote:
Thanks for the update, Sven. Looking forward to getting my hands on a copy. When will they be available for us to purchase?

Amazon says September 1.

J

Frank Bowers... YES !!

And so I guess the fastest way to acquire a copy is to attend one of the L.A. book signings in July (short of flying to Paris).

I don't think I could wait until Sept. :)

Pre-ordered!

you had me at "tiki", sven…… book ordered.

T

So if Book of Tiki was the Bible of Tiki that makes this the New Testament?

You know I'm getting this one, kinda want to get two for when this goes out of print and the price
goes up to lord knows how high.

Thanx for giving us more eye candy Sven!
And congratz!

-==--==--==--==-Google "Tiki bar lights" To find TIKISKIP-==--==--==--==-

¦:-·:''"":·.-:¦:-**-:¦:-·:''"":·.-:¦

The New Testament according to Sven. Has a nice ring to it

Pre-ordered!

• Dale

Thanks guys - Tiki Modern was the "New Testament":

What does that make this new one? I don't know...

"What does that make this new one? I don't know..."

The Good News Bible?

It will have to be my bible because I can't find affordable copies of the other two. :)

-Dale

Beginnings[edit]
The beginnings of the Good News Tiki Bible can be traced to requests made by people in the Tiki community for a version of The book of Tiki that Had more Tiki from days gone by AND newer Tiki.
people in the Tiki community envisioned a new style of The book of Tiki called Tiki Pop, and would be expressed in a translation "thought for thought" rather than "picture for picture". The dynamic theory was inspired by tiki nuts craving for more tiki. The Tiki Society, impressed with Svens first and second books decided to buy them. Due to these requests Tiki Pop was born.
Today's English Version, was released in 2014 as a 400 page publication It received a mass marketing effort Via Tiki Central and by other means.

On 2014-06-16 11:15, littlegiles wrote:
It will have to be my bible because I can't find affordable copies of the other two. :)

-Dale

Maybe once the new one comes out the old one will become more affordable?

We haven't asked Sven about this, but the overall edition size has a huge impact on market prices once the first edition goes out of print. There is a higher demand globally for Sven's works now, so it would be reasonable that if he only printed 5,000 "Book of Tiki" in the past that he might print 15,000 "Tiki Pop" today. And if "Tiki Pop" is the definitive catalog for the Paris exhibition, that might require a minimum printing of at least 15,000 copies for those who visit the exhibition and choose to buy the catalog. So there could be quite a number of copies of "Tiki Pop" available globally in the future. That could make "Tiki Pop" stand nicely alongside "Book of Tiki" and with a significantly more affordable price tag in the future.

But then there is also the potential for Sven and Taschen to authorize a second printing of Book of Tiki, Tiki Modern, etc. which would also have an impact on those book prices.

It's gonna be fun reading this thread in 10 years or so to look back and see how things actually turned out.

I

There are more sample images from 'Tiki Pop' - 18 of them - on the Taschen website.

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/popculture/all/02897/facts.tiki_pop_america_imagines_its_own_polynesian_paradise.htm

FM

And it's published by Taschen, which makes some of the coolest art books around.

Thanks for the heads up Hakalugi !!!! Looking forward to another great book !!!

Congrats Sven,
Can't wait to see it, and add to the collection of the other 2.

Jeff btd

Remember that Sven published a "tiki music" CD too.

Sven is one of the world's "ambassadors of tiki" with his collected works and his public appearances.

In Italy at this moment. The city went wild over Italy victory over England.Going back to Paris for Tiki Pop in Paris, planning on stopping by this travel agency in Château Vincennes to see what Tiki tours they have to offer.

Thanks for the link ikitnrev. I see on these sample pages Sven hit on some key points of Tiki and it's history that I am also very interested in (as if I expected anything less from him). I was going to wait but now after seeing the page samples I can't wait so I just pre-ordered!!!

On 2014-06-17 06:35, AceExplorer wrote:
Remember that Sven published a "tiki music" CD too.

Sven is one of the world's "ambassadors of tiki" with his collected works and his public appearances.

yes of course, when ever I DJ a tiki event I make sure that cd is there and played.
and I arranged for a cd release party at Don the Beachcober in So Cal when it came out.

Jeff(btd)

The mug with the flame is one of my creations. Is it going to be in the show??? My fingers are crossed, Wendy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 244 replies