Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Sven Kirsten's book: Tiki Pop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 244 replies

Here are some of the photos from the Paris trip and show. More to follow.
https://www.facebook.com/ojaitimo/media_set?set=a.10203418100840576.1073741897.1453970922&type=3

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2014-07-22 11:11 ]

Thanks for sharing, but unfortunately those of us who don't use Facebook can't see the pics. :(

Tiki Farm sent out this email on July 18th.

"NOW... if you can't make any of these events, DON'T WORRY! Starting sometime in early August, Tiki Farm will have the exclusive online combination of the signed book and the signed mug! Or, if you just want the mug, we will have unsigned mugs for you as well. Now we are only starting with a total of 50 signed sets, but if the demand is there, we will arrange to make more available for you."

It's huge! It's fantastic!

And I haven't even read it yet...just thumbed through the eye candy. Thanks Sven!

Kevin

Mine doesn't ship til next week, well I didn't ordered it on Amazon.....

Thanks for all the comments, friends. When it gets there, and you have looked and read through it, please write a review on Amazon. The first one that popped up there is only 4 stars, and it is …kinda bland I must say. I don't understand what compels someone to post if that's all they have to say. I mean it is all nice, but after years of work on this project one hopes to get something more than a "product description" hailing the binding. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Tiki-Pop-imagines-Polynesian-Paradise/dp/3836548518/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1405958891&sr=1-1&keywords=tiki+pop

That's like seeing the Mona Lisa and saying you like the frame.

My book should be delivered later today, I'll try and get a review up in a day or so.

I'm surprised they have 5 used ones for sale up already that are more expensive than the 11 new ones.

If that surprises you, you haven't spent much time on the tiki scene. :wink:

Just wrote my review on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/review/R2OQ56RPKKPWH2

Sven, this is a masterpiece. You should be very proud. And at $50, this book is a no-brainer purchase.

Thanks Justin! Store price is actually $60.- bucks, but for the size and over 800 images on almost 400 pages, that is still pretty good :)

T

Bought mine for $60.00 at the ITMP and it is incredible. It's in a good home.

On 2014-07-23 17:14, bigbrotiki wrote:
Thanks Justin! Store price is actually $60.- bucks, but for the size and over 800 images on almost 400 pages, that is still pretty good :)

$60?! Good God, I had no idea. $50 is a deal, but $60? Who are you, Satan's Comcast representative?

:wink:

Got my copy today. Beautiful book.

• Dale

Received my copy yesterday. What a pleasure to hold a properly heavy art book in my hands, reeking of fresh ink and new paper! You'll never get that sort of tactile sensation from a Kindle. I was also quite happy to see the glorious cover of Ballyhoo Magazine's Hula Hula Number issue on the very first page, especially since I have the entire issue framed and hanging over my bar:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=23654&forum=1

A triumph, bigbro!

Thank You - That means something from such a veteran of Tiki and other pop research!

Tiki Pop, where quality research in a MASSIVE quantity arrives in one exciting volumne. For those few still sitting on the sidelines, don't delay, buy today and send those Tiki blues away.

Ps Thanks Sven for your efforts to produce this gem!

Got my copy yesterday in the mail. I'll be poring over this volume for years to come. Thank you Sven for creating another informative and fun (and absolutely massive) masterpiece! (I'll be writing an amazon review later this week)

[ Edited by: SoCal Savage 2014-07-25 06:35 ]

On 2014-07-24 08:32, bigbrotiki wrote:
Thank You - That means something from such a veteran of Tiki and other pop research!

You are too kind, sir.

I really enjoyed the pre-Tiki section, as that's where a lot of my interest resides. If you ever need any images for future research, I have plenty that I'd be happy to share.

Finally have a moment to look through mine, just a beautiful book, fabulous pictures and such high quality paper...that is rare these days. Tucking my back-up copy into storage. This is going to take me a while to read...it will be like an epic journey...it will be fun.

Amazon review up.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1GIA34OJ5V1XH/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=3836548518

It's going to take me a long time to take in this whole book. Truly massive and awesome.

man oh man !! this can hardly be called a book. it's more like a tome. It's huge and heavy and chock full of tiki goodness!! I always said, "if they don't understand you, hit them with a bigger hammer" - and sven packs a wallop with his third and largest of literary hammers yet.

U

The Birdman of Rapa Nui flies
His beak contains the vaunted book
The wait for TKP seems long

I cant wait to get mine!!! Come on Fed Ex!!!!! :wink:

===================================

TIKI POP I hope that it's OK I'm going to post a few photos here from the book. We love the book.
Talk about pounds of History. My scale goes between 5.5 and 6 pounds of Tiki goodness. Every page is covered with photos.
Sven has done it again, he's a master. He'll keep Tiki on everyone's radar. Thank you SVEN.

Off facebook today I borrowed this photo that shows the size.

I'm showing a tiny amount of photos that made my year if not more.

We love Gecko'z art and what a thrill to see he's holding one of my Bloody Maori heads that he had altered.

This is my own photo.

He's in the photo with kingstiedye aka Bullet.

Another page shows work by GROG and Bosko.

Another page shows Doug Horne, Derek Yanger, Tiki Art Shark and little lost tiki.

I'm so happy to fine one of Roge's Tiki Chunk Lamps. I did the sculpt for the tikis on the sides. That's an Eric October on the right.

The ultimate for me was the page with my Zombie's Torch mug.

I didn't show much of the book. The last image of my torch is on page 377.

Over and over I say a huge THANK YOU Sven. Love the book. (I'm such a ham.) Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2014-07-26 08:59 ]

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2014-07-26 09:31 ]

Wendy, you and all of the artists have unquestionably earned your place in that book! :)

And there are STILL many more who I could not get in again! It was only on chapter on the revival, and there's only so much room.

I tried to get in folks that had not been in the previous two, like Crazy Al, Buzzy, Ken Ruzic, Doug Horne… :)

But still, I failed getting in Tiki Tony, Michael Uhlencott, Cass, Kirby… :(

It all will be taken care of in the "Big Book of the Tiki Revival"…. just wait another 7 years :D

T

On 2014-07-26 10:37, bigbrotiki wrote:
And there are STILL many more who I could not get in again! It was only on chapter on the revival, and there's only so much room.

I think the big miss was Benzart who spans both the semi old days and the revival times.
Still love the book.

Just got my copy of Tiki Pop today and it is GREAT!
On page 185 there is a table lamp “table lamp for unknown restaurant”
By Frank Brajevic collection.

This is the first table lamp for the Kahiki restaurant in Columbus Ohio
made by Bill Sapps wife in the basement of the Kahiki, they were oil lamps as told by
Herman Leitwien and would be filled with coconut scented oil when lit.

And on page 249 the “Quiet Village” sign was missing from the Kahiki, would love to find the story
on how it made it’s way to Hawaii?

Also Wendy you and the others should be proud of getting in this book as it is a winner.

On 2014-07-26 13:37, tikiskip wrote:

I think the big miss was Benzart who spans both the semi old days and the revival times.

He's in there. page 375 or something like that. You must have missed it because you couldn't look away from the drum picture on the same page
Buzzy Out!

M

My copy came today. It is a rare instance when something exceeds your expectations so greatly. I did not anticipate that TIKI POP would match (or surpass) the scope and high quality of Sven's previous books -- but it really does. It's an indispensable reference guide -- and the thing is HUGE and heavy, dwarfing BOT and TIKI MODERN.

And as much as there is in TIKI POP, at a first glance I came away both satisfied with the TON of info in the book and also hopeful that there is still room for Sven to mine even further (and that this is not the last book from Sven, after he catches his breath). After all, there's still more to dig out and document out there!

T

On 2014-07-26 16:08, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

He's in there. page 375 or something like that. You must have missed it because you couldn't look away from the drum picture on the same page
Buzzy Out!

I must have missed it after a quick skim, AND gazing at your drum.
Your drum is very cool never saw that one.
Plus, good for Benzart! TC was gittin to the point where they did not remember the old skool,
And Benzart is the real deal old skool.

Dam was that light even from Kahiki?

Boy, I hope mine shows up soon! The suspense is killing me!

My copy is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday. Can't wait to see it!

On 2014-07-26 16:08, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

Buzzy Out!

A case of beating your own drum, I say :lol:
looking good!

the big miss was ME !!!

but there is a picture of three nautical style lamps in there that sven bought from me so i'll take what i can get.

T

On 2014-07-27 17:31, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
the big miss was ME !!!
but there is a picture of three nautical style lamps in there that sven bought from me so i'll take what i can get.

Dave have you even been in the mag of Tiki?
What is it you do again?:-)

We have some DSK in our home.

Sven!

MAhalos for having Mrs Boo and I at the Egyptian yesterday. Wow, this book is HUGE!!!

As per the Eli Hedley part, one of these days we'll get it right :wink:

Name- Correct Spelling wooo hooo!!!!

"Real Beachcomber" - You get off for forewarning me :wink: Eli Hedley was the "Original Beachcomber" named by the Wall Street Journal.

Paradise Cove- Incorrect. Paradise Cove is in Malibu. The driftwood beach house was in White Point/Royal Palms, end of Western Ave. San Pedro, Ca. Family nickname... The Cove" :wink:

1 out of 3 is not bad!! Baby steps. Next one we'll nail it!!

Aloha! Bamboo Ben

p.s. This is a running joke between Sven and I. The editors/fact checkers mess with us everytime!

:lol: Ho boy!

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Jul 28, 2014 2:08 PM

Thumbs up to Sven for this new book, its a bloody monster!

Now to get to work on a TikiG PolyPop artwork icon so I may earn a place/photo in "Big Book of the Tiki Revival" !!

Mahalo!! G

I was hoping to get some more info and details about the maori doors on page 158.

(I didn't see any photo description or credits to go on)

Thanks

Erich

That is the menu for the Maori Village restaurant seen in this thread
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=38593&forum=2&start=0&36

Thanks. I appreciate the response.

The book looks amazing. Can't wait to dive in.

my copy arrived today. what a monster! gonna take quite a while to get through this tome. i'd already seen the pic of gecko and me (pg 372), but seeing it in print is really exciting. mahalo to sven for including that pic in his latest masterpiece!

Got mine yesterday and it's all I can do to not start reading it. I want to spend some serious leisure time and not miss anything!

D

Is that you?

yep, i am gecko's fan bullet. pretty cool!

I am glad I could credit you both - and Oasis - in one fun photo! :)

Here's a lil trip to my house, my neighborhood watering hole, and then some of that great Mayafair Beachcomber footage:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28570884?SThisFB

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2014-07-31 11:02 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 244 replies