Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Sven Kirsten's book: Tiki Pop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 244 replies

I've just been informed that The Tiki POP book will be available at the museum for the opening of the exhibition. Hurrah!

Wendy: It's in the show, and it has a full page in the book! :)

On 2014-06-18 01:11, bigbrotiki wrote:
Wendy: It's in the show, and it has a full page in the book! :)

Now THAT'S an honor! Nice job, Wendy!

Sven: Is Amazon the best place to order the book? Is your cut bigger if I order elsewhere? Will it ship faster from elsewhere? I'm not lucky enough to be able to come to a signing.

Sven: Is Amazon the best place to order the book? Is your cut bigger if I order elsewhere? Will it ship faster from elsewhere? I'm not lucky enough to be able to come to a signing.

I'll echo that...I'm not anti-Amazon, but I like to support the tiki community if there's a way to give them a bigger cut of my $$.

Third that. I would hold out to purchase it in person if it will be available in Southern California anytime soon? If not, I would like to know the "preferred" method of purchase so that more of the $$$ can go to the author.

Yeah…sure. I don't like to recommend Amazon because it is such a price-breaker that it is hurting bookstores, but if you can't get it any other way. And don't worry, I am not making a cent on the book anywhere, it is all for the love and glory of Tiki.

Wow oh wow I am so excited. I ordered two copies last night before hearing my art is in the book. Sven you have always been so sweet to me and supportive. Thank you always, Wendy

PS now I need more copies

H

"There will be several book signings in LA at the end of July, and at Tiki Oasis, to be announced in time".
Looking forward to your book signings in LA at the end of July Sven.

T

Amazon has the book release date listed as AUGUST 1ST!

H

On 2014-06-23 18:54, Thortiki wrote:
Amazon has the book release date listed as AUGUST 1ST!

Great news! I've updated the first post to reflect the change.

A

Not to make people jealous, more to spread the good news - I was preordered a book & received it today!

With the dust jacket removed:

The foreword:

A random double page:

The pages have a good feel to them.

I hope this encourages those who are waiting for their books!

Kaching! Ordered.

8T

We've got the others so had to have this one too. Order placed!

B
Babalu posted on Tue, Jul 1, 2014 9:48 AM

pre ordered - yay!

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Jul 1, 2014 1:08 PM

Beautiful looking book, I can't wait to add this to my collection. Congrats Sven for the book and a sincere Thank You for the serious work involved - I appreciate it.

Congratulations Sven on both the book AND the Exhibition!
Your tireless efforts and love of Tiki have brought us all
more wonderful goodies to explore and delight in!
Bravo! what an accomplishment
and what a surprise to see "the Song of the pufferfish" not only in the exhibit
but also in the book!
made my mommy proud!

mahalo x 100!
:)

UB

Thank you Master Tiki Whisperer for another great upcoming book.
I look forward to adding it to my collection.

Aloha!

I

Back from Paris- here are a couple of pictures I've taken showing the new book.
I need a bigger bookshelf!

H

Tiki Pop book signing and much more at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood. July 27, 2014 event starts at 4pm.
Details here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=47855&forum=17&0

Sven will also be selling n signing the tiki pop book at the
Surf guitar 101 convention:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=46911&forum=17&14

The Collector's Weekly site has an interview with me that encompasses the scope of the exhibit and book well, with lots of eye candy:

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/tiki-hangover/

Although the title can be seen as somewhat derogatory, and the first two pics are NOT from the book, the rest of the images are all from its pages. The interview is well edited and fact-checked, and almost complete in the way I gave it.

Although the site's TIKI MUG article is marred by misguided attempts of political correctness and contains some mis-information (despite much being copied from the Book of Tiki), Collector's Weekly has some really cool articles, like about this amazing place that I had never heard about:

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/collectors-on-a-mission/

Much time can be wasted on this site! :)

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2014-07-13 13:22 ]

Collectors Weekly has been one of my favorite websites for a while. Some of the articles can be lengthy, but they're fun to read. They also have a Facebook page.

Sven, Wondering if Tiki Pop be available at Tiki Oasis next month...
If not I'll just wait and get it online.. Looks AWESOME!! :wink:

The CW article was well done, I thought. The mugs article had lots of info on tiki, little info on mugs. Seems like a fun website, though! Thanks for sharing.

Yes: Tiki Oasis will be the grand finale to my Southern Californian TIKI POP book signing tour :) :

Sat, Jul 19, 10:00 am
International Marketplace at Don the Beachcomber’s,
Huntington Beach
Book signing and Tiki Pop mug release

Sun, Jul 20, 2:00 pm
Poly Hai presents the Making of Tiki Pop
Slide show & book signing with Sven Kirsten
Purple Orchid, El Segundo (Sold Out)

Sat, Jul 26, 2:00 pm
Tonga Hut, N.Hollywood
Papua New Guinea in the Parking Lot
Book signing

Sun, Jul 27, 4:00 pm
Egyptian Theater Hollywood
Slide show “Don The Beachcomber and the beginnings of the Tiki Bar” Book signing & Cocktails,
plus South Seas movie “Enchanted Island” after

Sun, Aug 3, ??:00 pm
Taschen Books store Farmer’s Market/ The Cove
Book signing, with rum sponsor and band

Sun, Aug 9, 9:00 am
7th Annual Surf Guitar Convention
5052 Katella Ave, Los Alamitos
Book signing, with Pacific Ocean Park book author Domenic Priore

Sat, Aug 16, 10:00 am
Tiki Oasis, San Diego
Slide Show, Q&A and book signing

As mentioned earlier: With the way Amazon is undercutting independent booksellers price-wise, I cannot dedicate & sign any walk-ons, only books bought at the table.

Awesome, mahalo's Sven!!

Yea Sven, you've been slacking enough for awhile, Time to get back to work :lol:

Looks like I'll have to move to California. :D

I am cramming in as much as I can, because a week after Oasis I have to re-enter the Foreign TV Legion in deepest Bavaria and will be a goner- until December!

I took off months for the book and the exhibit earlier this year, and soon will need to make mortgage money, pronto.

And Trav, lenders of more than one item get a Thank You copy sent by Taschen - straight from the warehouse.
So unfortunately those come without signature/dedication.

Hey Sven, remember those things I lent? you know....those things? :lol:

On 2014-07-13 13:44, bigbrotiki wrote:

As mentioned earlier: With the way Amazon is undercutting independent booksellers price-wise, I cannot dedicate & sign any walk-ons, only books bought at the table.

Sven, what's the cost of a book bought at the signings?

It will be the regular over-the-counter book store price: $59.99

Here's some more eye candy from the book:

http://www.we-heart.com/2014/07/10/tiki-pop-america-imagines-its-own-polynesian-paradise-taschen-books/

…and this site has a nice slide show with many of the chapter opening pages:

http://www.buro247.com/me/media/books/tiki-pop-america-imagines-taschen.html

I am re-posting my book signing schedule here since the page got turned:

On 2014-07-13 13:44, bigbrotiki wrote:
Yes: Tiki Oasis will be the grand finale to my Southern Californian TIKI POP book signing tour :) :

Sat, Jul 19, 10:00 am
International Marketplace at Don the Beachcomber’s,
Huntington Beach
Book signing and Tiki Pop mug release

Sun, Jul 20, 2:00 pm
Poly Hai presents the Making of Tiki Pop
Slide show & book signing with Sven Kirsten
Purple Orchid, El Segundo (Sold Out)

Sat, Jul 26, 2:00 pm
Tonga Hut, N.Hollywood
Papua New Guinea in the Parking Lot
Book signing

Sun, Jul 27, 4:00 pm
Egyptian Theater Hollywood
Slide show “Don The Beachcomber and the beginnings of the Tiki Bar” Book signing & Cocktails,
plus South Seas movie “Enchanted Island” after

Sun, Aug 3, ??:00 pm
Taschen Books store Farmer’s Market/ The Cove
Book signing, with rum sponsor and band

Sun, Aug 9, 9:00 am
7th Annual Surf Guitar Convention
5052 Katella Ave, Los Alamitos
Book signing, with Pacific Ocean Park book author Domenic Priore

Sat, Aug 16, 10:00 am
Tiki Oasis, San Diego
Slide Show, Q&A and book signing

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2014-07-14 10:11 ]

My local bookseller just confirmed that my copy is coming to the store on the 2nd of August. Awesome, I can't wait!

amazon confirmed early shipment - book will be in my greasy tiki stained hands on the 25th of this month !!

Am I gonna miss you ,again, in November, Sven?

You vill haf my book to give you solace.

Sven, should be sporting some good sized blisters on his
writing hand from today at the Tiki marketplace!

Thanks Sven!

I'll house sit for ya! Howzabout that?

My copy won't be blessed with an autograph, but Amazon is prepping for shipment and I should have it by this weekend. Just in time for my birthday On Sunday.

Most awesome self-gift ever!! Now I need to find an affordable Book of Tiki to go with.

• Dale

A number of "used" Book of Tiki copies have come on the market in the last couple of years. They're still priced between $95 and $200. But that's better than nothing. Let Google or Amazon point you in the right direction.

We'll have to ask Sven if he plans to re-print some of his earlier books. I waited several years before I finally was able to buy a reprint of Grog Log from Jeff's publisher.

I was notified by Amazon that my copy shipped today. Thanks to Optimus, I mean Amazon Prime, I should have it in my hot little hands by Wednesday. I'll be sure to start a new thread about it as soon as I get it! :wink:

P

On 2014-07-02 08:15, ikitnrev wrote:
Back from Paris- here are a couple of pictures I've taken showing the new book.
I need a bigger bookshelf!

Tiki Icons is also a must have! TIKI STYLE

[ Edited by: Pitcairn 2014-07-21 18:53 ]

K

Ordered mine from Amazon...eagerly awaiting it's eventual arrival!

My Amazon book is on the same shipment to Hawaii as yours, Kaiwaza. Bring yours to the next South Seas Cinema meeting so we can show it off. :) I felt guilty ordering mine from Amazon after reading this thread but then I realized that I don't know of any mom & pop new book retailers in Hawaii, only used books stores. The internet and the last Barnes & Noble is all we have nowadays. I can't wait to get my copy. The little excerpts I've read so far are spot on. Soon I will be able to read the rest.

I'm in the same boat, littlegiles, but for me I don't have TIKI MODERN, I was lucky to score a reasonably priced BOT online but I'm afraid those days are gone. Ah, the good and bad of being talented, correct and now popular Sven, but without you and other pioneers of tiki recognition in American a lot of us wouldn't have had clue about what was under our noses. Some of us had an idea but these books have energized and united us, at lest on the base understanding, of Tiki Style and man it's a great style to be a part of. Now if my wife could recognize it.

Mahalo nui Sven

Hey thanks, man! You will see and hopefully like how I brought in the whole Hollywood/South Seas movie genre into the story.

C'est très magnifique! Really nice size book and love the quick delivery by Amazon.

Having trouble uploading To Tiki Central probably due to the photograph size? I will try to share a few albums here from Tiki Pop startingwith Poly hai lecture with Sven Kirsten at the Purple Orchid last Sunday. https://www.facebook.com/ojaitimo/media_set?set=a.10203549747451659.1073741905.1453970922&type=1

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 244 replies