Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Asian Themed Drinks?

Pages: 1 20 replies

I am looking for an Asian themed cocktail for Chinese New Year. It’s not a sophisticated cocktail crowd, does not need to be a complex drink. Right now my top choice is a Canton Ginger Mimosa with Blood Orange juice and Almond Champagne. It has champagne to represent the New Year. Almond, ginger, and orange are nice Asian flavors. And it’s red, the traditional color of Chinese New Year. Any other suggestions? Maybe something with Soho Lychee Liqueur? Is there a Soy Sauce Liqueur? :lol:

On 2015-01-07 10:54, MadDogMike wrote:
I am looking for an Asian themed cocktail for Chinese New Year. It’s not a sophisticated cocktail crowd, does not need to be a complex drink. Right now my top choice is a Canton Ginger Mimosa with Blood Orange juice and Almond Champagne. It has champagne to represent the New Year. Almond, ginger, and orange are nice Asian flavors. And it’s red, the traditional color of Chinese New Year. Any other suggestions? Maybe something with Soho Lychee Liqueur? Is there a Soy Sauce Liqueur? :lol:

What's the point? Just serve a Mai tai or a Zombie!, and they must be served according to Vic's and DtB's original recipes, and no other way, because otherwise you're just dragging the name of an alcoholic beverage through the mud.

[ Edited by: rockydog101 2015-01-07 12:37 ]

I Googled these, but they sound good. I like Prosecco more than Champagne.

Beijing Bellini

3 parts Champagne or Dry Italian Prosecco
1 part Lychee wine or Lychee Liquor
1 Lychee nut dropped to bottom of glass

Served in a tall champagne flute glass.

**Lychee wine or liquor can be found in your local Chinatown Liquor store; the liquor gives it a stronger flavor and punch. There's now an American lychee liquor brand called "Soho" which may be easier to find.

**You can also blend the lychee nut in a processor in its own sweet juice. Peeled, canned lychee nuts are available in a lot of grocery stores.

Red Lotus

1 1/2 ounces vodka
1 1/2 ounces lychee liqueur
1 ounce cranberry juice

Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice.
Shake well.
Strain into a chilled old-fashioned glass filled with ice.

S

On 2015-01-07 11:30, rockydog101 wrote:

What's the point? Just serve a Mai tai or a Zombie!, and they must be served according to Vic's and DtB's original recipes, and no other way, because otherwise you're just dragging the name of an alcoholic beverage through the mud.

This coming from the person who wants to make a Zombie with only three ingredients!!!

Hey Mike, don't forget sake and also Midori, which was invented in China or Japan i believe. There's also Sochu.

On 2015-01-07 12:44, swizzle wrote:

On 2015-01-07 11:30, rockydog101 wrote:

This coming from the person who wants to make a Zombie with only three ingredients!!!

Hey Mike, don't forget sake and also Midori, which was invented in China or Japan i believe. There's also Sochu.

Now I'm aiming for a 1 ingredient zombie :) BRAINS!

Well there is the classic Asian cocktail if you want to go oldschool

"Original Singapore Sling"

The Singapore Sling was created at Raffles Hotel (in, naturally, Singapore)
at the turn of the 20th century by a bartender named Ngiam Tong Boon.
Visit the hotel today, and you see the safe in which Ngiam locked away his recipe books,
as well as the Sling recipe hastily jotted down on a bar chit in 1936 by a hotel visitor who had asked a waiter for it.

1 oz. London dry gin
1 oz. Bols Cherry brandy or Cherry Heering
1 oz. Bénédictine
1 oz. fresh lime juice
2 oz. soda water
1 dash Angostura bitters
Tools: barspoon
Glass: Collins

Combine all ingredients except soda water and bitters in an ice-filled glass.
Top with soda water, stir briefly and dash with Angostura bitters.
Note: The original Singapore Sling appears to have been ungarnished.
By the mid-1920s, they were adding the peel of a lime, cut in a thick spiral.
By the late ’30s, they were also omitting the Bénédictine and bitters and floating Sloe Gin on top.

And this simpler & updated version

1 1/2 ounces gin
1 ounce lime juice
1/4 ounce simple syrup
2 ounces club soda
1/2 ounce cherry brandy, kirsch, or Cherry Heering
Lemon slice for garnish
Maraschino cherry for garnish

Preparation

Pour the gin, lemon juice, simple syrup, and powdered sugar into a cocktail shaker with ice cubes.
Shake well.
Strain into a highball glass with ice cubes.
Pour in the club soda.
Float the cherry brandy on top by pouring it over the back of a bar spoon.
Garnish with the lemon slice and cherry.

An easy to prepare cocktail the "Red Lotus cocktail"

1 1/2 ounces vodka
1 1/2 ounces lychee liqueur
1 ounce cranberry juice

Preparation

Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice.
Shake well.
Strain into a chilled old-fashioned glass filled with ice.

Note: I may try this with white rum, instead of vodka myself
like swizzle mentioned you can find many Sake based cocktails also.

Big Note! apologies to tikilongbeach, whom already posted this as I was composing my post!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2015-01-07 13:30 ]

rockydog you might want to dial back the Campari and Angostura, that drink seems a bit bitter :wink:
TLB those both look good, especially the Bellini. I like the lychee nut garnish. We don't have an Asian market but I think I have seen canned ones in the dollar stores
Swizz Midori, Sake, and Sochu are all Japanese but that's OK since I'm going for more of a "Pan-Asian" theme anyway. Never heard of Sochu before, may have to check it out.

Thanks ATP, we were posting at the same time.
I thought about the Singapore Sling, definitely a classic. Thanks for that historical overview :)

Love ya Mike!

This may not meet your needs for the Chinese New Year, but it is my favorite drink at The Yard House restaurant. I'm not sure of the amounts, but next time I eat there I will ask.

GIN & GINGER
hendrick’s gin, dekuyper ginger, house citrus agave blend, apple juice, bitters

here's a thread i started on this topic a few zodiac signs ago:

Recipe: rum cocktail for Chinese New Year

also, you can get sparkling saki these days (chilled), which would be a nice asian touch in lieu of champagne...

ATP - :blush:
Marlene - That looks good!
Porpoise - Thanks for the link. I did a search before I posted but didn't search for the obvious "Cocktails for Chinese New Year" LOL Good tip on the sparkling sake, may have to try that

S

I had a feeling all of them were Japanese but commented before work and didn't have time to double check. And although they aren't Chinese, you are at least in the general vicinity. And you could even stretch it a little further by using a Japanese whisk(e)y.

Whiskey production in Japan started in 1870, who knew!!!???

Anyone seen any fresh blood orange just anywhere?

A

I contribute... the China Clipper:

http://m.sfgate.com/wine/spirits/article/Good-libations-Cool-and-fruity-cocktails-are-2514234.php

Knew I had a Martin Cate recipe with 5 spice syrup somewhere!

Chinese 5 Spice! Either as a syrup or a sprinkle. Brilliant, thanks Adam

Adam, I didn't see the China Clipper in the link you posted so here it is:

2 oz. aged amber rum (Cruzan Estate Dark, Appleton V/X, Lemon Hart 80, or similar)
1 oz. fresh lemon juice
1 oz. Five Spice syrup *
Shake with ice and strain into cocktail glass. Garnish with lemon twist.

• For Five Spice syrup, combine one rounded teaspoon of Five Spice powder with 2 cups sugar and 1 cup water. Bring to boil then remove from heat to steep for 10 minutes. Strain off scummy bits and bottle.

Courtesy of Martin Cate, Forbbiden Island.

A

I'll add the Shanghai Buck:

http://wiki.webtender.com/wiki/Shanghai_Buck

I'm partial on Charles Baker's "improved version" but go easy on the grenadine.

3 oz Gold Rum
1 tsp of Grenadine
3/4 oz Fresh Lime Juice

Pour into a 16 ounce glass with crushed ice, and fill with Ginger Beer.

[ Edited by: arriano 2015-01-09 11:14 ]

A

The China Clipper recipe was definitely on there! Oh well, you got it :wink:

Ok, here's another (also courtesy of Martin Cate), the Hana Reviver:

1 oz fresh lemon juice
0.75 oz honey syrup (50/50 honey & water)
10 drops Bitterman's Burlesque Bitters
1 very small pinch li hing mui powder
0.5 oz passion fruit nectar
0.25 oz Luxardo Maraschino liqueur
2 oz soda water
2 oz Sammy's Beach Bar Rum

link

I wouldn't imagine that many people have the Sammys rum maybe a substitution is in order?

The li hing mui powder is powdered salty dried plums - Ive had them before & actually quite like them (sort of a weird Asian savory sweet)... Very distinctive, definitely no substitutes!

Pages: 1 20 replies