Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Art Swap 2018 - Dream Tiki - Results Posted!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 288 replies

Looks like we will need a second visit to the eye doc

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Mar 20, 2018 9:40 PM

Here’s my inspiration:

Not a great pic; I guess our blue winter sky was too bright (sorry, tikiskip...:)).

On 2018-03-19 19:42, Hamo wrote:
Moari Nosferatu

:lol: :P :D

Lookin' good Jon!

T

Jon, killer carve! You're going to be finished before I figure out what I'm going to make!

Though, to be honest, I'm thinking of using the Mamas & the Papas' "Dream a Little Dream of Tiki" as inspiration, a true classic.

While I normally work in clay, I might be using a few other mediums for this one. Haven't yet begun any initial sketches, in the middle of a crazy few weeks of work, and hoping to have a little more free time in April to kick this off!

Hamo- nice A frame, looking forward to what you do
Mike- thanks Bruddah
Ano- :) Sounds like your have a plan my man

Cheers all

Well, I know exactly what I want to create but its something I've never done before, just like all the other swap projects I've done.

To do this I'm going to have to learn how to draw faces as well as the human figure. I thought if I started practicing now I might be able to do what's in my mind by August.

For progress pictures I thought I would show you the steps I'm going through to learn how to draw the subject for the final piece. If you find this not relevant then let me know and I'll wait until the end to show you the swap piece.

This is just an exercise and not the final piece.

John

I think I used to date her :lol:

Yeah, so I googled "dream tiki" and this is what I saw! LOL I keep thinking of I dream of tiki but this picture was in my head way before I saw this! However, instead of Jon I think it might be a moai dreaming of a tiki!

On 2018-03-09 07:06, hang10tiki wrote:
Dang you Mike
Your announcement alarm woke me up out of a great dream

Hamo you have my attention.

MaukaHale you are an artist.

LoriLovesTiki isn't hang10tiki so cute?

Wendy

Lori- :)
Wendy- :)

Will you see him in a “Dream” or a nightmare?

He was looking a lil pale
So
Tan time

One more step...
Hint: peek a boo

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2018-04-03 17:46 ]

hang10tiki what a difference stain makes. I like the triangular inner eye shapes. Peek a boo? Is there something more to do? Wendy

Funny you mention the triangles
:)

Peek a boo

Eye see u

Officially done.

Cheers all

Love those eyes!!!!
First one done Jon! Relax tonight and have a drink to celebrate :drink:

The rest of us need to git jiggy wit it!

BB

Cool. Always loved shell-eyes.

hang10tiki I adore abalone. I have a small piece that I've kept since I was 1 years old. You just knocked your carving right out of the ballpark! Wendy

T

Is it too late to get into this? I ran out of time last year... :(

tikitube as MadDogMike might say "welcome aboard mate". As long as you post photos as you work and finish by the end date you are in the swap. Good to have you, Wendy

:up:
What Wendy said :lol:

Mad Dog- :)
Wendy- :)
Bam- :)

Tiki Tube- welcome

T

Cool, thanks!

Everyone knows I can't stay away from a good swap. I jumped in and finished sculpting my I Dream Of Hawaii project. The big challenge will be in the glazing.

So here it is, my nightly dream.

I first cast a Tiki Bob.

I cleaned him up and made his eyes larger and

then made them look closed as if dreaming.

For whimsy I did pineapple ears on each side of his head.

This is how I started the lei.

I then turned each pressed area into a flower.

I stopped taking photos until he was finished so here are all the sides.

The sun and Diamond Head.

A check list of the island he dreams of traveling to.

Pineapples and

Palm trees.

Tying it to the swap.

All done and ready to dry. Then he'll be sanded and bisque fired. That's a ways away.
Thank you MadDogMike for another fun swap.

Wendy

M

Just looking at your mug makes me dream of Hawai'i.

Wendy- great idea and execution
Strong work
Can’t wait to see the colors.....

Cheers

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2018-04-08 20:57 ]

MaukaHale and hang10tiki you are so kind. Thank you. The swaps are such fun I can't miss a single one. Wendy

Very cute Wendy!

I have a plan but need to do some expirements first

C
cy posted on Mon, Apr 9, 2018 9:46 AM

I missed a bunch of posts here, great work H10 and Wendy!

Trader Vic's Macadamia Nut Liqueur, Dawn soap, and velvet underglaze... time to start working on a Dream Tiki :D

Thanks CY

Mike
Drink the macadamia nut sweetness
wash the bottles out with soap,
not sure where that last part comes in

I didn't sleep today. Instead I glazed my Swap mug. Now it's ready to fire when I have a full load. Now I'm ready to sleep for the night. Wendy

TJ- can’t wait to see what you come up with
Wendy- fill up that kiln so we can see it
Mike- progress?

My SWAP contribution the I Dream of Hawaii mug has been glazed. When I sculpted it I knew it was going to be a lot of glazing steps. I was right.

OH NO I made mistake. I wasn't supposed to do the eyes in black.

I scrubbed it all off.

The 3 layers of white under-glaze cover over the leftover black smudges.

After three layers of each color including white on the face I covered the face with two glaze layers of clear.

Once it dries it goes into the kiln to fire.

Wendy

Wow, that looks great Wendy! Can't wait to see it fired :D

My piece is still just a dream in my head for now :lol: I have been working on another big project, I should be able to post a picture of it tonight :wink:

Wendy, you continue to amaze me with your endless creative ideas.

Thank you men. I was just having fun with pineapple ears and Diamond Head bangs. It will be fun to see your projects take shape. Wendy

C
cy posted on Tue, May 15, 2018 3:18 PM

So good Wendy, you are an inspiration and will get my rear in gear after Tiki Caliente!

I've been a little busy with another project - we've bought a house! Time to put in 1800 square feet of tile, paint the whole interior, and Tikify the patio and back yard :lol: We were supposed to get keys tonight but now it won't happen until at least Thursday. Still planning to get my Swap project done in time :D

cy it's OK if you want to swap one of your 7 foot tall tikis if you don't get done after Caliente. I'm sure everyone would be fine with that!

MadDogMike congratulations, that's wonderful. I hope you show all your home projects. I would love to watch.

Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2018-05-16 14:08 ]

Wendy- that mug makes me want to take a vacation
Mike- congratulations you guys, awesome...

MDM - CONGRAT*S!

H10 & DLT are off and running with a BIG lead! Most likely to be sipping cool and refreshing Mai Tai's under a breezy palm tree while the rest of us sweat it out in the sizzling summer heat and desperately crawl across the finish line.

Sooo after many moons in an isolated sweat lodge, claws ripping at my bloody flesh, the searing red coals of the fire walk turning to cool grey ash and as the peyote hallucinations now slowly begin to fade... my spirit guide has quietly delivered a vision.

Now to gather materials, assemble multidimensional space and bend colorful dreams into reality...

:sheckymug: ***** r ***** e ***** l ***** a ***** x ***** :sheckymug:

TravelingJones I kept watching for 8 hours but I never got to the bottom of the cycle. How long does it go? Wendy

flashbacks may last a lifetime...

TravelingJones are you going to swap? I had to stop watching that dang thing.

==========================

Time to unveil the I Dream Of Hawaii mug for the Tiki Central Swap being run by MadDogMike. I'm done and ready to ship on the swap day.

Now I can relax while you all continue to work! Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2018-05-23 10:49 ]

WOW!!! Beautiful Wendy!!!

C
cy posted on Wed, May 23, 2018 4:26 PM

Congratulations MDM, Wendy that is a fantastic dream mug!

TJ- can’t stop looking
Can’t stop
Can’t stop
Can’t stop
Can’t stop
Can’t stop
Can’t stop
Can’t stop

Wendy- love it
Came out great

H
Hamo posted on Thu, May 24, 2018 9:31 PM

Looks great, Wendy. You and H10 are real go-getters. I hope to start my project in the next few weeks.

MadDogMike I Dream of comments like that! Thank you for making my dream come true.

cy My Dream came true again. Thank you.

hang10tiki Bob and I both thank you.

Hamo we are waiting and watching. I sent you a personal message.

Wendy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 288 replies