Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Demerara Teriyaki!

Pages: 1 8 replies

I've noticed that I'm always making a TON of Demerara syrup for our parties, but I never actually use a ton of it. There's always lots leftover. My first batch even sat long enough to start crystallizing.

Today, I was staring at a plate of leftover home cooked lo mein, thinking that it would be better the second time around with a teriyaki sauce. So, I mixed low sodium soy sauce and some of the Demerara syrup from our last party and Bam, that was good. And easy. :)

I mixed it 1:1, which gave it a good amount of sweetness. Feel free to adjust to your taste. I'm sure there are loads of other uses for this stuff as a basic sugar substitute.

Cheers,

Jeff

Sounds good Jeff! I love the dark rich demerara syrup, it would be good to cook with. You can also post here if you want

I bet you could whip up a fun dipping sauce with that, or maybe an Asian BBQ sauce for the grill?

T

On 2018-05-22 06:23, littlegiles wrote:
I bet you could whip up a fun dipping sauce with that, or maybe an Asian BBQ sauce for the grill?

Yep, that would totally work, too. :)

BB

What a coincidence, I have also been doing this recently. Had a load of soy sauce in little containers left over from sushi takeout and felt I should use it up before it goes off. Mine turned into more of a teriyaki vinaigrette though:

(measurements are approximate)

2 oz soy sauce
1 oz demerara syrup
1/2 oz sriracha
1 tsp minced garlic
2 oz olive oil
4 dashes angostura bitters
3 dashes orange bitters

Assemble in a small jar and shake to combine. Excellent as salad dressing over grilled chicken.

Syrups and sauces can be fun, here's a recipe for the Puaa sauce we were using at Hale Pele.

2 parts BGR falernum (1 cup)
1 part rice vinegar (1/2 cup)
1 part soy sauce (1/2 cup)

We'd use it to pan fry Kalua pork to order, then finish it off with a dash more. It's so good! Any other great saucy ideas?

T

Those both sound tasty! I'll have to pick up some orange bitters and more falernum soon.

:)

H
Hamo posted on Thu, May 24, 2018 8:31 PM

Wow, thanks for that recipe, Blair. I’d like to try it soon.

On 2018-05-23 07:05, BG_Reynolds wrote:
Syrups and sauces can be fun, here's a recipe for the Puaa sauce we were using at Hale Pele.

2 parts BGR falernum (1 cup)
1 part rice vinegar (1/2 cup)
1 part soy sauce (1/2 cup)

We'd use it to pan fry Kalua pork to order, then finish it off with a dash more. It's so good! Any other great saucy ideas?

Cooking with Falernum - mind blown! I have seen cooking recipes that for called bitters, including soup (not too surprising) and ice cream (very surprizing!)

Pages: 1 8 replies