Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

octane (spring break carvings) 3/26/06

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 254 replies

O

here is a thread of all the tikis and other stuff i have made.

my first attempts in order, from some stumps of palm wood i was give.

[ Edited by: Octane 2005-07-29 14:09 ]

[ Edited by: Octane 2006-03-26 12:17 ]

O

here is some MISC. stuff

a cabnet for stuff in the sun room.

My attempt to start adding tropical feel in sun room

then there is the party mellon

key chain slash small tikis

the bird house, which has been finished since this photo, with sand were the white is and the name put up.

some flat mask type things

[ Edited by: Octane on 2003-09-28 17:59 ]

O

then i found baseball bat blanks at a local hardware/ specialty wood store.

my first ash tikis in order

O

and more

here is a crappy Jay leno tiki as some call it

O

more

my biggest tiki just under 4 feet

another on in progress

unfinished still needs shells for eyes

still more to come as i still have to take a couple more pictures.

O

business card holder

Ash tiki

a group photo

table legs

here is another carving, it is only about a foot tall. unstained

stained

[ Edited by: Octane on 2003-09-30 09:47 ]

S

Beautiful work!

O

here is the Maori style tiki with the shell eyes in, i didn't use the traditional style to attach them, i just glued them in, as i was having enough trouble cutting the shells as it was.

here is a wall art type carving thing.

here is a photo of some of the stuff i'm starting to do to my room. i put up a reed waynescoting with bamboo to top it off. i also put up one of those home depot fans, this one is the Marquesan. i also put up a roof like structure with a thatching over my window, with a bamboo and glass float wind chime. a bamboo/ rattan CD holder and a couple of tiki pictures and bamboo shelfs. i still have alot left to do but it is a start.

my doore way, with a carved drum, a oceanic arts bora bora pole,a moai doore stop, and a Mr. Crafty picture.

here is the roof structure, with wind chime

[ Edited by: Octane on 2003-09-30 21:21 ]

O

here is my first carving since school started. this will be a door handle/pull for the cabnet i'm making. it is the same style and will go on the same cabnet as the legs i showed earlier.
this was made out of a closet rod that just broke. the tiki is 7inches tall

i stained him to match the legs.

[ Edited by: Octane on 2003-10-03 22:04 ]

You have been a busy guy. Extremely nice carvings that you've been turning out. I admire the consistency in your carvings for the table legs. Replicating hand carved work can be challenging.

Very Very nice.

Keep it up.

Nice to see all your creations together...I have always preached your talent. At full size your stuff could be an easy living for you!

O

well here is the other dore handle.

here are both of them together

well these pictures came out badi will have to redue them when i get some time.

[ Edited by: Octane on 2003-10-14 17:48 ]

Hey Octane, here's a photo tip for you. Your camera adjusted the aperture according to the background of your photo. It "sees" a lot of light reflected off the white door so it adjusts the aperture down, thus your tikis are too dark to see the detail. Try a darker background or use flash, or both. Hope that helps.

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2003-10-14 21:42 ]

G

good job my friend. I really like the door knobs. I like it all.

O

Thanks BK, Monkeyman, Gecko, and Jungle trader for the nice praise and the camera tips.

here are those door handles again, a little clear still not the greatest photos.

here are few other things i have done but haven't posted yet.

my first attempt at the closet rod just to see how it would carve

here is a Maori fish hook, i have one i wear just like this one but in bone. it is made out of a wood called andiroba (sp?) a red Mahogany substitute. no power tools were used in the making of this object, well until i drill the hole in it. the peice of wood started out to be about 1 1/2inch thick. final thickness is 1/4 inch.

O

well i finally have a little time to carve since school ended. so here are a couple of things i have been working on.

this is carved in Andiroba, a red Mahogany substitute. the disign is kind of from a few pictures of art from the Hiva's.

this one is a candle i bought from Bosko's. thought it would be fun to carve and i couldn't think of any thing else to carve.

there is a word "TIKI" raised up below the mouth but i can't get it all in one shot as it wraps around. i still don't know how i will finish it.

[ Edited by: Octane on 2003-12-16 16:25 ]

O

here is one new one i just finished, on my spring break. the other one is just the last guy i did but stained. it has been a while.

front

side

back

[ Edited by: Octane on 2004-03-23 19:56 ]

O

[ Edited by: Octane on 2004-03-23 19:58 ]

B

Really nice work Octane, I really like the fishhook.

Nice work. Warrior mug design. I've been wanting to do one of those for my collection for quite a while. On the first page you have an almost exact replica of the Gecko Maori that I own.

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2004-03-23 21:33 ]

Nice to have you back, playa playa!

Alright Octane welcome back. Glad to see you jumping back into it. As usual excellent work on the log transformations
Chongolio

Nice stuff Octane!
It's cool to see the progression of your work. I really love the "Party Melon".
Mind if I borrow it? Not the actual melon, just the idea...
Aloha,
:tiki:

Octane, your carvings are excellent. I imagined that your tiki pole carivngs were pretty large (4-5ft) until I saw that group photo. MAN! the detail on those is awesome! and precise!
I'd have a hard time concentrating at school if I could carve like that...

O

thanks everyone for the praise. it has been hard with school taking up so much time. It looks like i might have to take another 10 week break from carving as school starts again and i have a very full schedual.

hey Octane, your carvings are awsome! great work, really. i would definitely be interested in knowing if you sell any of you tikis? please let me know.

O

I haven't sold any thing yet. i have only done a few (all the ones in this thread). My parents have adopted most of them, or basically bought them, by helping me pay for some of my school fees. so i don't have any for sale, but in the summer that might change, as i will have alot more time and when i can get alot more carving done, and put a few out there to see if any one is interested.

I'm also not sure what to charge, as i haven't really sold any thing yet and my tiki's are a bit unusual size, as they are only about a 12-18 inches tall, and 3 inches in diameter. so they aren't your ussual big tiki's. is there some standard way to price your tiki's?

Oc I'd just figure what you want to pay yourself per hour and how long it should take to carve it. THEN CARVE AS FAST AND CLEAN AS YOU CAN.

O

here is a picture of a tiki i'm currently working on. Gecko saying there was no excuse and just carve got me out in the old garage and got the chisels a banging. actually i finished a non tiki project sooner then expected, which gave me some good tiki time today.

and a couple of the non tiki project for a friend who is into Kendo and Iaido two Japanese sword martial arts. It is a 1/2 scale Katana, made of all wood.

D

On 2004-03-26 11:51, Octane wrote:
I haven't sold any thing yet. i have only done a few (all the ones in this thread). My parents have adopted most of them,

lucky parents to have such a talented kid!! my folks got big globs of clay with a handprint..

tell us when you have stuff to sell, you can get through school on the Tiki Central Tuition Program..

enjoy your summer..

elicia

B

Octane, these latest are really looking good, Excellent. Yes you should step up production you will be surprised at how Good your pieces are.

G
GECKO posted on Tue, Jun 22, 2004 1:04 AM

Octane, alright braddah! nice! That sword is Bad Ass!!! good job.

O

thanks DogBytes, Benzart and Gecko for the kind words.

here is various shots of the same tiki just farther in the process. most of it is done except some cleaning up and adding the tatu to the body and face.

sorry for so many pictures but have to take advatage when the camera is avaiable

B

You don't Ever have to apologize for taking too many pictures, only for not enough. This one looks kool. NewZealand type tiki. Love it.

:music: Tiki's Got Back! :music:

Awesome octane...your carvings are simply awesome. Someone get this guy some palms!

Awesome work as usual, Octane!

flippin' gorgeous stuff!

Awesome!

O

Thank you everyone for your nice comments.
here are some new shots of that same old tiki but this time there is tatuing on his face and body. i tried to get some pictures that showed them but i'm not sure how well they showed up. most of the tatu is drangons tooth, and a few spirals mixed in here and there. this is the first time i'v tried dragons tooth, it turned out ok. i still have to figure out what i'm going to do with this guys eyes, either put shells in or not.

[ Edited by: Octane on 2004-06-24 15:40 ]

B

Be Careful, you are out-doing yourself. Boy, I can't wait to see this guy all Finished up.

O

well Ben you asked and i shall provide. the pictures aren't the greatest i might try again tomarrow. the stain is OK, i think, i'm terrible with picking stain colors. I got the Abalone shells cut some what circluar but not perfect. Cutting the shells are something i don't like to do, so i'm not the greatest at it. i worry about the dust so i try to do it the best i can but as fast as possible. all that is left is to cut it off the base, stain the bottom, clear coated a couple of times. I might make him the first tiki i sell, the first: O'Tiki

Excellent work!

How does one go about carving the Dragon's Tooth? Which chisels work best? Where did you read/learn this method Octane? Love the spirals too... how did you do those?

O

Thank you Lake.

I got the dragon tooth and instructions how to do about 4 different types of Maori tatuing from a book called "the art of Maori carving" i found the book in my schools library (thanks to the help of TikiTony) not sure how widly avaible the book is. i photocopyed the pages that had the instructions, and i had some one try to scan them today so i could email them to you or any one else that wanted them, but the scanning did work right. i will keep trying and if or when i get them i will send you a personal message, so i can email them to you. any one else that wants them can send me a personal message as well.

here is just a picture of the page on the dragon tooth (with out the written explination)

here is another part with a few more styles (again with out written explination)

the siprals aren't that bad. there are kind two way to due them. first you have to draw it out, which if i could get you the scan would show you 3-4 varieties.

here is a picture of the page with the spirals, maybe this will work

the first technique (proper way i beleive)you just use the the chissel with the V shape, on a slight tilt, so the side (of the V chissel)closest to the center is almost striagt up, while the part of the chissel away from the center is out at an angle, then you just follow your lines.

another way that works is to draw out your spiral, use the V shaped chissel (normally, no tilit) and carve out your lines, the come back with another chisel (the one i have used isn't flat, but instead a really flat half round (mine is from a little palm carving set) you take this chisel and start on the outside of the curve and slant back down in towards the middle.

i hope this helps, its kind of hard to explain, if you have any questions let me know, and i will try to get those pages scanned for you.

O

well i started my next project today. It like the last one is Maori, except this one is a flat pannel. i didn't have alot of wood in the garage except a peice of poplar. i have never carved poplar, but it is nice and soft compared to the ash base ball bat blanks. the only problem is how well it will stain and hold detail.

N

Octane you are an animal with all the detail in the carvings you have done. I like all the stuff especially the moari, keep it up its really awsome work.

[ Edited by: net-tiki on 2004-06-25 18:42 ]

Mahalo Octane... would love scans of those detailed instructions...

I can kind of see how to go about the Dragon's Tooth but the spirals look like they will take some practice... let me know if you get those scans!

B

Octane, I'm really happy to see you doing these Maori carvings. it shows you have great skill and your attenton to detail will only get better and better for it. The New Zealanders wood carving were second to none( Except for our GECKO) and are based around the simple, beautiful spiral of their Fern Tree.

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-06-26 11:48 ]

O

Lake i forgot to tell you you nedd two different types of V shaped chisels. i will try to get those pages re-scanned and i will include the section on the types of chisels needed.

Thank you Ben, i agree that the Maori are the greatest carvers, at least i have ever seen, their work is amazing, the detail and all the diffrent surface deceration is wow.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 254 replies