Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

octane (spring break carvings) 3/26/06

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 254 replies

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:09 ]

T

Nice stuff Octane keep them coming man.

G

Octane brah, tanks plenny fo da stand. I finally got it stained and ready to go. Here are da pics as promised.

proto types #1,2 and 3. 1st batch will be in at da end of this month.

thanks again and glad to see you bizzzzy!

G

da stand is not slanted, it looks like it in da pics I just held da camera wrong because I was on a slanted hill dats why. Da stand is perfect it's my photo skillz thats not da best.

T

And here I thought someone was doing photography after too many of those spotted gecko's. :wink:

O

thanks for posting the pics Gecko, looks like it turned out pretty well.

i like the matting you put on the back bottom. i thought about carving it up for you, or putting a pecie of tapa down there but that matting looks great.

hopefully the poplar didn't cause to much trouble with the staining. it looks like it turned out a good color and really did make that Maori style carving on the bottom of the stage back to show up.

the mugs look great, i can't wait and i'm sure other can't as well until the mugs come out for sale.

hope you enjoy the stage, and it works out for you.

Wow! You guys really make a great team. Your work compliment each other nicely. Everything looks awesome.

Chongolio

Superbly superb. Great work guys.

that looks awesome guys! Great job. The boys can create!

B

Gecko and Octane making some top knotch stuff here. Keep up the good works. Both of youz

O

thank you everyone for the compliments on the stage, Gecko did a great job with his mugs and the stain job.

TNTiki here is an update on your Marquesan guy. he came out pretty close to the picture you sent me, some minor difference but as close as i could get him.

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:10 ]

O

TNTiki here is your guy stained up.

here is a guy i'm working on for a new friend and palm wood supplier, he just gave me on sunday 40 feet of 8-9in diameter 3-4 ft tall peices of palm and said i can have as much as he has, if i want it.

this guy is 2ft tall and is of that tiki mug guy, don't know the mugs name.

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:10 ]

F
foamy posted on Wed, Aug 18, 2004 7:20 PM

Wow. There are some great carvers on this forum. You're one of 'em.

O

Foamy: thank you for the kind words

here is a guy i have been working on since yesterday. kind of expereimenting with the new wood. this guy will become a stool or seat for myself. My old seat while carving was a 5 gallon buckett with a lid but i set one of my palm tikis down on it and broke the lid.

this guy is marquesan in design and when i'm finished will have a padded (bark clothe i think)top for a comfortable seat. oh he is 22 inches tall.

T

I like the look of that stool Octane, really looking forward to the finished piece. What kind of wood are you using for it?

Really excellent stuff, Octane. I'm gonna keep on eye on this string for inspiration. I checked out your tools in the "Tools Carvers Use" string. I find it amazing that you're turning these out with no power tools! The detail is fantastic!

Yeah, that detail is MAD for a mexican fan palm. I use a dremel for detial because I always got so frustrated with the fibers sticking out.

These are awesome. I can't wait to see the 4 foot+ tikis you're gonna do!

B

yeah, thats a fabulous piece for a Work Stool.
I really like the Sharp detail you are putting on this tiki. Beautiful

O

thanks Tiki-Toa, Aaron's Akua, Polynesiac and, Ben all your guy'z kind words keeps those chisels a banging.

Tiki-toa: the wood is Palm i was doing some expereiment with stain on it, so it is Palm wood stained a dark brown.

I took the day off from heavy work today and decided to finish up some projects i had laying around. well here is a collection of photos of projects that are finished or might need another coat or two of clear.

these two are Ragin' Raratogan's, he got them a few days ago.

this is a set of three projects, my bigger rarotogan, my smaller Moai, and TNTiki's Marquesan guy

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:12 ]

Yeah! eat your hearts out too. I am the proud parent to "not so big puka" and "mini rarotongan". The pictures do not do justice to the pure genius of Owen's carvings. He is already awsome, and his works just keep getting better. Keep up the excellent work. I will definitely be in line again for more.

I like the stain job on the ones for Ragin'

Dig that cannibal in the background too...
Quality stuff. Keep these pics coming.

O

thank you TNTiki, The Ragin' Rarotongan (glad you lke your guys), and Polynesiac.

Polynesiac: i'm might be trying a bigger version of that Cannible tiki pretty soon, i post pictures if i do.

here is some other projects i tring to finish up. I'm also expereimenting with different stain colors and clear coats for the palm wood.

the first is for the guy that got me the palm wood. it is that tiki mug guy, this time he is stained, and has 1 coat of Varnish on him.

the next one is my stool with 4 coats of Shalack on him.

the last is a mask i carved yesterday, the design is the same as a mask i did last year when i first started carving, except this one actually has demension to it, and the teeth are a little different. he is just stained, and will receive Varnish as that seem much better for Palm wood and all the hairs it has.

[ Edited by: Octane on 2004-08-23 12:41 ]

O

here is my stool all finished with the top. it turned out OK, but i'm not very good with the frabric type materials so it is as good as i could get it.

here is a cannibal tiki i might start working on

T

and the great work from octane continues. keep it up!

O

here is some progress on the Cannibal tiki, basing him on the guy at the Harbor Hut (local resturant). It doesn't look like much has happened, but i have spent a day and a half on him 5-6 hours. carving the mouth took my a long time 3-4 hours. still in the rough stages. the guy is 43 inches tall and right around 13-15 inches in diameter

close up of the mouth to show that there is a gap carved out behind the little tikis head.

here is what the orginal looks like and hopefully mine will in the end

This is some cool stuff, Octane. Your efforts are certainly paying off by the looks of these pics. Keep it up!

Ocatane has anyone spoken up for the Cannibal?

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:13 ]

O

thanks Sam Gambino, Tiki-Toa, and TNTiki, your kind words are very appreciated.

Tiki-toa: not sure what you mean, if you mean is it a project for someone or if someone has asked to buy it, then the answer is no, he is up for grabs.

TNTiki: thanks for the compliments on the details but, i'm not sure mine will turn out better then the orginal, but thank you.

here is another update to the Cannibal.

T

Yeah that is actually what I was inquiring was if he was for someone. And from what I have seen of your work I agree with TNTiki that you will make it superb in the end.

Damn! Every time I check out Owen's (Octane) posts I see more stuff I need to buy from him. Your carvings are just plain awsome! Great work, and you just keep getting better and better.

Aaron

Like they say on the Ali G show.... "respect man , Respect."

O

thanks Tiki-Toa, Aaron (ragin'), and theChikitiki, the support you add is what keeps the chisels a carvin

here is some updates on the Cannibal, 99% of the rough work is done, just have to split the back legs and split the feet in the front. I cleaned him up more then in this photo today.

[ Edited by: octane on 2004-08-30 21:16 ]

B

Keep it up Octane, every one you add is better and better. Look out folks a star is/has emerged. Excellent progress OC

That's a real shwangin' tiki, Octane. Thanks for all of the progress shots. Can't wait to see how it cleans up.

Cheers!

Aaron's (not Ragin') Akua

O

thanks Ben, and Aaron's Akua.

well here is the cannibal all stained up, probably the last pictures for a while as i'm going to varnish him and that will take a while, as varnish takes 24-48 hrs to dry between each coats and i want at least 5 coats on him.

[ Edited by: octane on 2004-08-31 22:17 ]

T

Man he looks so sweet right now man!

Sweet is an understatement, Octane! That stain really brings it all out. I'm gonna have to talk to you & get some of that stain/varnish expertise soon. Can ya maybe put a fan in front of it to speed the drying so we can see it sooner??!!!

G

well done O'

T

that guy is AWESOME!!!! he's a really great piece. it makes me want to try to make one like it, but i don't think it'd compare to yours. keep up with the great work!!

[ Edited by: tiki5-0 on 2004-09-01 09:46 ]

F
foamy posted on Wed, Sep 1, 2004 12:41 PM

Wow, really nice. Octane, your first stuff was fine, things just keep getting better.

B

This one is really nice. I love how the mouth is just about to bite off a head. Cool

O
Octane posted on Wed, Sep 1, 2004 1:16 PM

thanks everyone for the great compliments.

Aaron's Akua: any time you have a question letter rip. I'm not exactly an expert on either staining or varnishing but if i can help i will.

tiki5-0: you can do carve him, go for it try it out see how it looks, never hurts to try, this is my second shot at this guy, the first was Ok but you have to just keep trying and learning/experimenting ways to make him better.

Ben: i love the cannibal tikis, this guy in particular, because of what you just said , its like a picture right before the guy takes that fatal bite. I'm hopeing to due all 3 in the seires but in a smaller size, 2ft range. but that might have to wait tell next summer

MD

Beautiful........

Owen, you skills are extraordinary! You never seize to amaze me with your new carvings. I am trying to save some $ for Hukilau, and you are making it very difficult. As soon as Hukilau is over, I will contact you for a larger Rarotongan, or perhaps the Cannibal. Talk to ya soon.

Aaron

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 254 replies