Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

octane (spring break carvings) 3/26/06

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 254 replies

G

uh oh, heeeee's baaaack! good job my friend.

O

thanks Gecko, out of hiberation, and ready to bang the chisels.

TNT Tiki:
Tiki and Baseball, sure nothing wrong with that, not in my eyes, i'm a huge sports fan, mostly football, but i like baseball as well (Red Sox fan). I could be interested in trying it. I have no idea about what it would cost, but email me at owen_turner99 at hotmail and we can talk over the details of what you want so i can get a better idea of what exactly your looking for (were on the handle or ball bat, what style of tiki, and so on) then i can give you a definate answer.

[ Edited by: Octane on 2004-06-27 21:11 ]

[ Edited by: Octane on 2004-06-27 21:12 ]

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 15:46 ]

O

progress on the Maori panel. Those Maori just put too much detail on their stuff, which is nice because it is challanging but it gets alittle over whelming at times.

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 15:49 ]

O

more up dated pictures of the pannel, this time with some stain on it.

You got chops, man...Pure chops.

O

thanks TNT Tiki, it was alot of work i had to have some medacine for my back tonight (two Mai Tais):)

BK, thank you, words from a true chisel master like yourself are held in high regards. By the way most of those chops you say i have, can be attributed to you for answering all my questions when i first joined the forum, the great in progress and finish pictures of your work, and the help/discriptions of techniques from the old carving post days.

[ Edited by: Octane on 2004-06-29 22:34 ]

[ Edited by: octane on 2004-06-30 09:35 ]

O
Octane posted on Tue, Jul 6, 2004 2:49 PM

here is pictures of tikiville slugger bat. it is a set of pictures from the start to the finish (or at least what i'v done so far) It is a Marquesan style tiki. the tiki is on one side of the bat, while the other holds the standard bat shape, including all the various symbols and brand name.

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 15:56 ]

Nice Brah. Looking good.

B

Octane Wherre you been hiding this raw TAlent. I'm really impressed. I think we can expect Bigger things from our Octane.

O

thank you Jungletrader, Benzart, and TNT Tiki.

I hope you like the tiki TNTTiki, it was a fun project, i will post some pictures below of it finished with the clear coat on and some other various little projects (Cabinet door handles & finished Maori panel)

Here is the finished bat with the clear coat applied

this a Gecko Jr. at least a small version of Gecko's Maori guy. this will be like a door handle, beer tap, or some thing. he is 6 inches tall and 1 1/4 diameter. made out of a dowl i got at home depote

this is a pair of door handles made out of the same size wood as Gecko Jr.

here is that Maori pannel i did a week or so ago, but i finally got around to adding the shell eyes

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 15:58 ]

B

Yes the bat is very nice and that is Not Soft wood. I would like to have seen a bit of Head dress on top, but it's No big deal. Carving Well done.

O

2 finished pair of cabinet doore handles

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 15:59 ]

That's going to be one cool cabinet with handles like that. that bat is awesome too - I'm sure it's a first and not to be copied by any other.
Is the cabinet going to be all tiki'd out too? Keep 'em coming - ya got talent...and a lot of it!

G
GECKO posted on Fri, Jul 16, 2004 1:10 AM

ggod job Octane. Look towards getting them.

Mahalo'z

O

Polynsiac: the handles were for Da Gecko, but i do have a cabinet that is being tikiifed, with tiki legs i carved (some where in an earlier post) and a set of door handles for my self, but thats it so far, i need to get the matting, bamboo, and top piece. i will post pictures when i finally finish it.

as for the bat, that wasn't my idea, but was TNTTiki's good idea.

Gecko, hope you like them, and here is the finished " Da not so big Puka" (4 1/2 inches tall)

No power tolls were injured in the making of this any of the O'tiki tiki's this summer

[ Edited by: Octane on 2004-07-16 15:22 ]

B

excellent quality. What tools are you using? How about a picture of your workspace and tools?

O

here is a picture of my work place. nothing special. I currently planning to build a new work bench, but until then this is it.

sorry for the mess haven't cleaned up today.

as far as tools, i have a a normal straight set of chisels (Millar falls), there are about 8 in the set but for the size work i'm duing i only use the two smallest one.

the short brown handled ones are just a palm set i got from Lee Valley, i don't even know the name of the brand.

there are small silver tools, almost dentist like tools, which are mini chisels which i got at Lee Valley as well (like $9.00) they aren't great quality and will bend if used on harder woods, or if you use with a hammer.

a standard old box cutting knife with the blades you can break off at cirtain points.

a old rubber mattel, that isn't very rubbery any more, and the head will fall off every once in a while.

a pair of calipper, for the smaller stuff to make sure everything is the same size (or as close as possible)works well especailly when doing a pair of tikis like the cabinet handles.

a vise that isn't even screwed down, and a couple of files, sand paper, a chop saw when having to cut off the tikis from the dowl/baseball bat blank (so i do use a power tool)

i think that is it ( i have many other tolls but are not used for tikis.

B

Octane, You get a Lot out of those few tools. Very well done. Thanks for posting the pic's

O

well back from my little vacation/trip.

Ben thank you for the comment on the tools. can i ask what type of tools you have? is there tools you really like?

B

I LOVE All Tools. I ue knives, chisels, gouges,Flexshaft grinder with various burs, Bandsaw and chainsaw. Thats all my toolsI Love Power tools but I love my Knives and ues them most.A view of some of my tools

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:00 ]

O

here is some new stuff, 4 "not so big Puka's" and one fisherman god guy. the tongan (sp?) guy is flat on the back tofit up against a flat surface. i still need to carve one more of these guys. this is for a tiki display 4 "not so big Puka's for legs, and the tongan (sp?) guys on top of the stage/ horizontal part, but against the back (verticle) part

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:00 ]

This is some great stuff and fine work, Octane. Nice going!

http://www.samgambino.com

B

Great work Octane. Looks like you are batting 1000

I agree, great stuff. What wood are you using?

Octane, I want to buy a Little Puka and a Rarotongan god from you. Please e-mail me so we can discuss a purchase. Thanks.

Aaron

Amazing stuff Octane!!

I don't suppose you'll be joining us at the Hukilau this year, would you?

Mahalo for posting the pics, I love to see 'em!

O

thanks everyone for the compliments, as far as buying some, i will sell Rarotongan god guys because they are a mix of a few others designs, but i'm not sure about "not so big Puka" because that is a Gecko'z design and i was making them and the rest of the display for him. i wouldn't feel right about selling one of his specfic designs with out his permision.

as far as the wood goes, i don't know what it is really, it is the biggest dowlling that home depot has, it is very soft and carves well, and sand well. I'm not a guy that knows alot about wood, someone said that it could be birch because of it color, but it could be anything. the only thing the tag says is hard wood dowl.

Octane, please e-mail me reguarding the sale of one of your Rarotongan tikis.

[ Edited by: The Ragin' Rarotongan on 2004-07-28 16:23 ]

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Jul 28, 2004 8:29 PM

mahaloz Octane, the shelf will work well when displaying my new mugs. If I had da time to build it I would myself but you are saving me much time to concentrate(sp?) on other larger items.

If you want to make a small puka for da braddah go ahead. Thanks for asking. I cannot wait to add da display shelf to da rest of my stuff. Great job so far my friend.

Thanks Gecko, I thought he had already had your permission before I asked, I know the design is yours. I also want to get the mug of Puka when he is avalible on your site.

O

Tikiwahine, i'm not going to be able to make it this year to Hukilau. maybe next year

O

here is GECKO'Z stage 95-99% done. nothing is really screwed or glued yet, just a mock up

T

the stand looks awesome so far, can't wait to see it finished!!

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:01 ]

O
Octane posted on Mon, Aug 2, 2004 9:19 PM

thanks TNT tiki, and tiki5-0 for the compliments.

the stage is now done, at least on my end, as Gecko is is putting the finish on. here is some pictures of the stage before i shipped it out to Gecko.

Ragin Rarotongan, i got one of your guys finished, let me know if this is what you were looking for meaning the back and butt carved on the Rarotogan. i have to take another picture of the back as the one i took is too fuzzy.

O
Octane posted on Sat, Aug 7, 2004 7:03 PM

here you go Ragin' Rarotongan, both of your tikis unstained.

O
Octane posted on Sun, Aug 8, 2004 9:14 PM

here are a few things i finished over the weekend.

the first is a Moai guy, he is made out of palm wood. he was kind of a spur of the moment thing, i wanted to test how well rthis new palm wood i got the other day, and i had this little peice.

i due have a couple of questions though about Palm wood, as i really haven't carved it much at all. what due you use to sand it? i used just standard sand paper but it clogged up very fast.
does it take stain well, or is there any secrets to staining palm?

this next project is a pannel that will go on the front on my tiki cabinet i'm currently in the midst of finishing. its only been a year so far. i have had the thing drawn out for a little while but i haven't gotten around to it.

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:08 ]

O

here are a few projects that i'm working on right now.

the first is a update for TNTiki on a Marquasen guy he asked me to due. made out of palm wood, right around a foot tall. second day i have worked on him, still needs some clean up, and little things before i can start to sand him.

this next one is a rarotongan guy, for myself, or ebay depending on the old bank account balance. he to is made out of palm wood and is right at 22-23 inches tall (6 inch diameter). he still needs to have his head squared off and more sanding before i can stain him up.

B

Look at you just goin crazy. these are lookin real good Octane. Are you going to stain or varnish them?

O

i don't know whats the difference?

i don't have any idea how to stain or varnish palm wood is there any thing special?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 254 replies