Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

octane (spring break carvings) 3/26/06

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 254 replies

After going thru all 13 pages of this thread there is only one thing to say ,amazing works Octane.

Glad to see you carving again.

B

Nice one Octane. Now that you remembered how to carve a tiki, lets see some more. Excellent.

Octane- your work has gotten tight... This new Marq is absolutely great. I love your styles.

Love the "weathered" finish, Octane. I was just talking to someone about that method the other day. It will be neat to see how the poly enhances the look.

Aaron

O

thanks every one.

here are a few shots of the last tiki but with some coats of clear on him.

Looks awesome. Nice job rounding off his head. That ain't easy.

B

Yes, Very Nice Looking tiki. I can see you used a lot of good old elbow grease to get that skin so smoothe, just like a baby's butt. Be Proud and move to the head of the tiki class today. Well Done

Now THAT's my style of tiki! Great job, good color too.
Baby, got a big ol' butt! LL Cool J would like that!

dammit Octane, that one kicks booty. I'm even more disappointed you weren't around when I was in Pismo Beach. Beautiful piece.

On 2005-07-14 18:43, Raffertiki wrote:

Nice job rounding off his head. That ain't easy.

Tell me about it.

Damn, that's smooth & clean and detailed. NOT easy with fan palm, but you made it look easy as always. Clean and classic, excellent finish...

Aaron

really great symmetry and finish! nice!

looks great..i like the watermelon alot..getonup..

H
hewey posted on Fri, Jul 15, 2005 1:33 AM

very nice and tasty - well done dude

amazing work, octane! absolutely beautiful!

BEAUTIFUL WORK!!

I think that looks fantastic!

Excellent Job!!!! Keep em comming!!!

O

thanks everyone for the compliments. Sorry i have not been on the site much, but i have been busy carvingand out of town alot. in fact i'm going to post these pictures and head out of town again for a little while.

this is a Moai, with a full body. I carved him out of either rose wood or Purple heart wood. I'm not sure which wood it is, i ordered the rose wood, but the block i got had the code for purple heart, either way it has a nice color. itis great i ordered all this fancy wood from Lee valley, it for lathes, so they are small like 2X2X12.

The tiki is about 10 inches tall, and only has one coat of poly on it. I hope to add more when i get back, but thought i would post some pictures before i left.

Front

Side

Back

[ Edited by: Octane 2005-07-20 18:05 ]

Really nice work! Your Marq looks great and the the Moai is terrific, he almost has a Lenard Nemoy look to him. :) I love it!

Beautiful job as usual, Octane!

O

thanks finkdaddy and palama tiki. Fink i think your right he does have a little Lenard Nemoy look to him.

T

I like him, or her.

Braddah Octane,
PM me if you want to sell the Moai.

Now thats really smooth. Nicely done.

Glad to see you around a bit more.

Slick and smooth. Great work!

Thats fantastic. Love the wood. The blocks of wood for lathe work do come larger - look for "bowl blanks". Just recently I saw a piece of Zebrawood that was 6x6x18" - it was only $75, ouch. Thats the cost of creating a valuable piece of art. Keep it going.

Awesome work. Would you mind telling us what color/ kind of stain that is ?
Thanks for sharing.

That's fantastic Octane! I really dig the subtlety of the hands..you really captured it!

B

Octane, you were running on High Octane when you carved this Moai, he Really looks good.

VERY NICE OCTANE...CONGRATS ON A GREAT CARVING...
GOOD STYLE...GREAT COLOR....NICE NICE

H
hewey posted on Fri, Jul 22, 2005 4:55 AM

Nice carving. Not many full body Moais. Cool. LOVE that wood.

O

thanks teaKEY, Jungle Trader, Monkeyman, SAm Gambino, Suburbanpagan, Ben, congatiki, and Hewey

AlohaStation, thanks i will have to look for larger sizes. $75 dollars though is a little out of my price range. one nice thing about the smaller blocks are the price.

Rodeotiki, the moai is not stained, that is just the natural color of the purple heart or rose wood. the only thing i have done is sand and put a coat of polyurathane on. the natural color of the turning woods are so great, that is one of the reasons i ordered a variety of them.

FA

On 2005-07-20 21:50, Jungle Trader wrote:
Braddah Octane,
PM me if you want to sell the Moai.

And here I was hoping to be first to put a request in for this amazing looking Moai. If he is sold would it be possible to discuss obtaining another from you?

O

well here is a new guy i have been carving the last few days. I wanted a differnt look so i carved him like he was sitting on his butt with his knees to his chest and his arms around his legs.

He is made of California Walnut, it is a blank for a pepper mill. right now he is only rough sanded and there are a few more detail to add.

the pictures are not great and the color of the wood is light and makes it hard to see. once the first coat of clear goes on the pictures should be better to see.

5 fingers and 5 toes? sheesh!! Octane's tikis are bootyful.

Nice detail on the hands & toes. So that's what you do when you're not wasting time studying and writing papers!

Looks great. I really like the toes. Just did some pens out of Black Walnut and they came out beautiful. Once the clear coat goes on the wood takes on a new life.

Nice detail, and yeah, I can't wait to see how the woodgrain pops when you finish it.

O

Thanks Fez Ape for the compliments on the Moai.
Thanks Jungle, AlohaStation, and Raffertiki for all you kind words.

here is the guy with his first coat of clear. the color is dramatically different after sanding and after clear coat.

I will add some close ups so you can see the feet, hands and teeth, hope they come out OK, so you can see the knuckles, nails, etc.

J

Many that is sweet looking with the clear coat... really brings out the detail in the teeth, hands and feet! Awesome job Octane!

B

OCTANE< you are really raising the bar, This guy is Awesome, Really Awesome. Man you Have to be proud of this guy.
Really love the Moai in the background of that backside shot too!
You are really carving some Nice tikis these days, way to go.

Way ta go, Octane. Great design and finish too.

FA

Unbelievable! Amazing detail.

Fantastic work! I love his lil toes :wink:

T

Love the toes...he should be able to pick up things with his toes as easily as his hands. Great detail work. Congrats.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Aug 3, 2005 4:22 AM

Cool design, awesome detail on it. The lick of lacquer really brings out the colour in the wood.

Aloha octain!!!!!!!!!
Super cool tiki my friend. I love the detail and the clean lines, keep them coming, aloha, mooney

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 254 replies