Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

octane (spring break carvings) 3/26/06

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 254 replies

Nicely finished, as well. It takes a lot of sanding, and patience to get it to look that good.

[ Edited by: Raffertiki on 2004-09-01 18:19 ]

Beautiful stuff octane. are you going to be showing your work anywhere?

O.K., Octane…I do have a few questions if you don’t mind. They’re already on my post:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10587&forum=7&9
They’re right below the photos of my unfinished tiki & have to do with shell inlay & 2-tone staining, etc. – both of which I see you’ve done here with great results. Check it out & give me a reply if you find the time. Thanks!

O
Octane posted on Thu, Sep 2, 2004 6:57 PM

thank you Mr. dale, Aaron (ragin'), Raffertiki, Polynesiac.

Raffertiki: you are right i spent around 5-6 hours worth of sanding on the guy. Palm is not the easiest wood to sand.

Polynesiac: no shows planned, i'm kind of a shy guy not sure i could handle a show, but i will show my work here, TC is my show i guess.

Aaron (ragin'): you and your family stay safe from this new huricane. i'm sorry to tell you but this cannibal isn't on the market anymore.

well here is some new stuff, tiki christmas tree ordaments, i have been asked by 3-4 people for tree ordiments, so here is a sample of a few i did 2 today one yesterday in between coats of varnish and other clear coats on various projects.

B

Very nice stuff Octane. I like the cannibal and the ornaments. When the holidays are over, you can wear them as a necklace. I found a picture of the big tiki from the Harbor Hut before it got damaged. I'll post it soon.

Nice! How do you hold those to carve them? I traded my micro carving tools in for big ones after stabbing myself in the quad... went in about 1/4 inch... I like carving the big stuff... the small is neat but I can't get the control...

T

Octane you keep surprising me with the stuff you are making, and as such a young guy, I really look forward to watching you grow as a carver man.

Love the ornaments, Octane. Nothing like a Tiki Christmas. Thanks again for following up on the stain & finish questions - your info was well thought out & super helpful.

T

now those would make the christmas tree look even better!!! i already have some hawaiian type ones, but those would be SO much better looking!! start carnking them out and sell some. i'm sure a lot of us here would be interested in them.

T
TNTiki posted on Sat, Sep 4, 2004 7:07 PM

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:14 ]

T
TNTiki posted on Sun, Sep 5, 2004 6:36 AM

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:15 ]

Yes, very cool work Octane. The cannibal is ultra cool. Grinds!
Chongolio

O
Octane posted on Mon, Sep 6, 2004 1:42 PM

thanks bongofury, Lake Sufer, tiki-toa,Aaron's Akua, tiki 5-0, TNTiki, and Congolio.

well here is the cannibal all finished up witha ll the coats of varnish i'm going to put on him. i think there is at least 4 coats could be 5 i don't know i lost count. I will say i'm not going to use varnish again, i'm just not impressed, i think i will stick with the polyurathane. sorry for the pictures they aren't the greatest.

T

WOW!! Did he turn out sweet.

Nice, Grasshoppa, nice! Okay....getting inspired again...getting all that old mess behind me...Awesome tiki, Octane.

O

WEll i got out of school for christmas break and had to start carving again, so these past 2 days i have been working on this tiki.

It face is a mask i did at the end of the summer, the rest od the tiki is in the GECKO Crazy Al style.

It still needs some cleaning up and a few more details i still have to figure out like the feet, the eyes and a few others.

he is about 6-7 inches in diameter and a little over 2 feet.

B

This has to be your Best one yet, can't wait to see him finished.

That's gonna look sweet like the last one, Octane. Glad to see you're making good use of your school break.

A-A

Way cool Octane... I agree with Ben.. your best yet! 360 degrees of tiki!

well here is the cannibal all finished up witha ll the coats of varnish i'm going to put on him. i think there is at least 4 coats could be 5 i don't know i lost count. I will say i'm not going to use varnish again, i'm just not impressed, i think i will stick with the polyurathane. sorry for the pictures they aren't the greatest.

I think the main difference between varnish & poly coating is that varnish can be colored (by adding diluted stain or very dilute paint) & that it takes on a patina as it ages. I think you can get colored poly coat, but it's not supposed to change with age (yellowing is a bad thing).

O

thank you Ben, Aaron's Akua, and lake surfer on the compliments on the latest tiki. he may well be the best one so far, i know i like him alot, glad to see others do as well.

Freddiefreelance, thanks for the comments on the Varnish and the Poly. I still think i'm going to use Poly from now on.

well here is the guy with all the carving parts done and some initial sanding. not sure if i'm going to stain him or leave him the mulitple colors he is.

close up of the toes

B

I like those natural colors. If you do stain him the color variations will Still be there though. You might take a piece of scrap wood that has the colors onm it and try staining it to see how it will look before doing the carving?

this one is GREAT octane! I think anyway you stain him with or without the two-tone, it will look cool. Sometimes tiki speaks for themselves.
You may want to try a light colored stain and wipe off the majority of it as you apply. The wood might show well through that. Just a thought.
Awsome carving!

Aloha, Octane! We never got to see how this beautiful tiki finished up. How's college treating you? Any carving plans for spring break?

A-A

Yeah, what's up?

O
Octane posted on Fri, Mar 4, 2005 8:31 PM

hey i autally still have not decided what to do with the last tiki so he is in my garage in the same condition except he has a little mold growing on him now.

College is a pain, at least this quarter, tons of busy work, and i have finals in a couple weeks.

about the only news i have is i got some more chisels (henry taylor carving set), a new work bench, and have become a little more organized.

not sure about if i'm going to carve at spring break as i'm not even sure how long it is to tell you the truth.

i will post pictures of the tikis once i finally make up my mind at what i'm going to do.

D

Octane, dude, a tiki that's hanging ten, that way cool. Doc Tiki

B

Love the toes. My only suggestion is really more of a caution. when carving the palms, they usually get pretty weak towards the center. This guy has very small ankles, which on hard wood is Great, "Deep" Detail, but on a palm the ankles become very weak and at some point he will begin to Bow and bend at the ankles. Still, your Best carving by far.

the detail on the toes is awesome. Nice!

School comes first! Keep up the good work, carve when you can. Make sure and keep us all posted on your next carving. Thanks for checking in, Octane.

A-A

O
Octane posted on Fri, Apr 8, 2005 8:26 PM

well here is that last tiki updated, i decide not to stain it, just put some satin poly on it.

Thanks for the concern Ben i will look out for cutting in so deep on the plam wood.

thanks for the compliment doctiki, Raffertiki, polnesiac, and any one else i might have left out.

here is some seiling fan pull guys i did a little while ago, but i don't think i posted.

J

Holy shit! I don't know how I missed Octane's work but I'm totally blown away! The finish on the cannibal is beautiful and the new guy is cool as hell... I'd give up a kidney to have even a tiny bit of the talent you've got! WOW!

Octane, that came out awesome! Yes you did get organized... my garage is a real mess by comparison. Enjoy your spring break!

Aaron

Very nice Octane.
Looking forward to meeting you and Stuff in June. I'll let you know.

B

Octane, that tiki looks dynamite and the finish is unbelievable. You had to wear out a lot of sandpaper. The Fan pulls areneat too.

O
Octane posted on Wed, Jun 1, 2005 7:36 PM

thanks Johntiki, i'm only ussually around in the summer, so it is easy to miss my post.

Thanks AA, yeah i did get organized, i now have two work benches, with drawers and shelfs, so i can now find all my stuff.

thank Jungle Trader, i look forward to meeting you too, let me know when in june you will be up and we will try to get together.

Thanks Ben, i think with Palm you always go threw ton of snad paper

Well it is not offically summer yet, i have finals all next week, but i was able to carve a little threw out school and especailly this last weekend.

The first is just a medium size mask, not small like Ben's, but not really full mask size either. the mask is made of ash.

this next one i did this weekend, just messing around with a 1X6 scrap peice of popular. He is kind of like a shrunken head guy or so thing.

cool designs octane! I really dig the groovy grain patterns on that ash mask - totally psychadelic...man. These carvings are showing how versitle (sp?) your carving style is - just about able to conquer anything.

good luck on those finals...I remember those...cram like a mo-fo!

Lookin' forward to what you got instore for us this summer!

Octane! Great to see you back. It's cool that you've found time to carve between school papers & assignments. BTW, what's your major? Just curious!

Aaron

Really great stuff Octane!
I love to see your work.
Thanks for posting!
-Tw

C

Nice to see your thread revived Octane...
very nice carving...like your style.

O

thanks Polynesiac, i kind of lucked out with the grain.

thanks A-A, my Major is Business, with concentrations in Accounting and Finance. Since that :) is not enough i'm going for a minor in Econ as well.

thank you tikiwahine and congatiki, for the kind words.

Hopefully after finals i can get back to carving 100%. It is against my tiki religion to go to summer school, so i should have the time to carve. I doodle or sketch out some new tikis during class, so hopefully i will have a few new designs.

again thanks for your kind words, everyone

B

Yo Octane, Nice to see you posting new work Especially such NICE Stuf. Those small masks are really KOOL. You are really getting super smoothe finish and Nice detail. Both masks are veery nice, the shrunken head type guy is vety unique and should go over great. keep up the good work.

I really like the shrunken head guy. Looks great with the light and dark stain.
Thanks for sharing and good luck on finals.

I love your carvings! Octane......

O

THanks Ben, Bamboo Princess, and Rodeotiki, for the kind words.

Well i have been out of town most if not all of this summer so far but i was able to get one carving close to done. I hope i can get some more stuff done but i'm not sure how long i will be in town.

the carving still need to be Cleared with a polyurathane.
I kind of tried to rough him up a bit to get that fake old look, not sure how it will look after the poly.

Great classic-vintage style on this Octane. Very fine work!

I think he'll look at least as good with the poly. Nice one.

Totally, totally love him. Awesome.

Nice to see you on TC!

-Tw

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 254 replies