Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Making Sugar Syrup

Pages: 1 14 replies

I'm gonna make up some sugar syrup tonight, however can anyone tell me what the ratio of sugar to water is? Or is it just a matter of pouring one onto the other until the sugar disolves?

Thanks from a novice

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2004-02-02 11:58 ]

A

I lb Sugar
to
One Cup Water

Add sugar and water to pan, bring to boil and bottle

S

This may sound like total common sense, but I am saying because it obviously was not for me in the moment. I make twice that amount at a time and pour it in an empty rum bottle for storage. What you must remember is that this stuff is boiling hot, and it if pours on your hand while you hold the bottle, it will hurt, and, once the bottle fills up, it will get hot.

Yeah, duh, but...

You can do the same with honey. All those recipes that call for boiling honey until it's liquid and adding it. Make honey syrup the same way, one pound honey to one cup water. I am not exactly sure if it's 100% correct, but I then add it to recipes at about double. So if a recipe calls for 1 ounce of honey, I add 1 3/4 ouunces of honey syrup. Does that sound right?

Thanks for the advice. I now have my old Trader Vic's Mai Tai mix bottle now two thirds full of sugar syrup.

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2004-02-02 13:19 ]

When I make Zombies, I make passion fruit syrup from scratch. Same recipe as above, but add the guts of 3 to 5 passion fruits near the end of the boil. then strain. It sure beats the store bought stuff.

-Z

On 2004-02-02 13:59, Feelin' Zombified wrote:
I make passion fruit syrup from scratch. Same recipe as above, but add the guts of 3 to 5 passion fruits near the end of the boil. then strain.

Thanks for the idea, Feelin' Zombified! Planted a passion fruit vine last fall and wondered what to do when it fruits. mmmmmmm...zombies...

O

Two things that also help when making syrups: a soak period( i do overnight) helps break down the sugar easier and the end result is less settling on the bottom, also is good when adding other flavors to the sugar, and do not stir the mix after the first minute of boil.
i make a spicy ginger syrup that i use in a drink i call the hawaiian ginger twist, and the filtered out leftovers can be made into a wonderful treat.

O

woops, double post deleted

Aloha kaua

[ Edited by: tikitanked on 2004-02-03 18:26 ]

On 2004-02-02 18:58, tikitanked wrote:

i make a spicy ginger syrup that i use in a drink i call the hawaiian ginger twist, and the filtered out leftovers can be made into a wonderful treat.

Hmmmmm....do you add root ginger to the syrup and then strain?

I can feel a wave of making every possible sugar syrup type possible......

K
Klas posted on Tue, Feb 3, 2004 4:47 AM

On 2004-02-02 12:18, Swanky wrote:

So if a recipe calls for 1 ounce of honey, I add 1 3/4 ouunces of honey syrup. Does that sound right?

No, since you get 3/4 ounce of water in the drink that shouldn't be there... I would try using liquid honey instead although I have to admit I don't know if it contains any added water.

The Surfites

[ Edited by: Klas on 2004-02-03 04:52 ]

S

I am not worried about added water. If you pour liquid hot honey in a drink as the recipes call for, you are going to get a lot more than 3/4 ounce of water from melted ice. Not to mention the burns and trouble.

What makes liquid honey? Likely, being boiled with water! :wink:

K
Klas posted on Tue, Feb 3, 2004 1:28 PM

On 2004-02-03 10:51, Swanky wrote:

If you pour liquid hot honey in a drink as the recipes call for, you are going to get a lot more than 3/4 ounce of water from melted ice.

OK, but then the drink will be different in the other direction compared to the original recipe, if you use fridge cold honey syrup which not will melt the ice as supposed to :D

O

Klas,
the problem with adding straight honey is that is does not disperse well in a cold drink. stirred, 3/4 of the honey sticks to the stirer, shaken some of it stays and is either strained out or sinks to the bottom of the drink. therefore, you are not actually getting the full flavor of the amount of honey you add.
a happy medium is the honey syrup; which i believe swanky told me is an old Trader Vic's technique. you can also add straight honey by heating it up first, therefore allowing it to disperse correctly.
truthfully, i bet if the three techniques were employed and put out as a blind taste test, little difference could be detectable.
in the end, what you like and how you like to prepare it is what is important.
glad to see this thread up with folks talking drinks, a topic i generally bore non cocktail people to death with.
p.s. kon hemsby, i will update this post with my recipe for spicy ginger syrup when i get a chance

Aloha kaua

[ Edited by: tikitanked on 2004-02-03 18:40 ]

p.s. kon hemsby, i will update this post with my recipe for spicy ginger syrup when i get a chance

Aloha kaua

Please hurry..I'm salavating!!

K
Klas posted on Wed, Feb 4, 2004 4:36 AM

*On 2004-02-03 18:38, tikitanked wrote:*Klas,
the problem with adding straight honey is that is does not disperse well in a cold drink.

I wasn't talking about straight honey but liquid honey :wink:

glad to see this thread up with folks talking drinks, a topic i generally bore non cocktail people to death with.

Yeah I agree, more drink topics on the board! :drink:

Pages: 1 14 replies