Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Son of Headhunter

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 354 replies

Thanks polynesiac and Chongolio. The color of the stain is Jacobean. I never heard of it before, but really like it.

I'll be starting the next one just after I cut the lawn.

Mahalo.

Wow, Raff. I guess this carving thing really got ahold of ya. I agree, the stain really came out nice. But they all come to life with the finish, don't they? I also like the pattern on the loincloth.

A-A

The finish is amazing. You just get better and better.

Great carving, I really like the name, it's spot on.

Aaron'sA, finkdaddy, & Coconut KC,

Thanks for your complements. I think I've finally reached the next level with this one.

Raffer... sweet job on the shy guy! ummmm... that's a mighty long loincloth!

The loincloth is actually kind of tight, hence the un-amused expression.

O

Sweet Tiki, really really nice

Thanks OnoTiki.

In the meantime, I haven't been slacking off. No really. This new one measures 4' 10.5". If he had been 1.5" taller he wouldn't have gotten stuck with the name "The Little Kahuna." I've just roughed out his head and headdress. The body is next. This bad boy is definately designing himself. He looks nothing like the sketches.

The laid-back NYer

http://www.NiceFishy.com

[ Edited by: Raffertiki on 2005-05-22 14:28 ]

wow...this one is gonna be fun to watch
Raffer...great start...love the headdress!

T

Looks great bro. Cannot wait to see it done!

B

I can't wait to see it done too. This is a pretty Fancy headdress you have goin here, He defenanely looks like he wants to have a hand in things. Keep up the good work.

Hey Raffertiki-

The detail is looking fine in this guy! Great start, I can't wait to see it finished too...

Nice headpiece, Raff! Hey, thanks for the tips on filling in cracks. I think I'm going to try it. It will be exciting to see this new tiki of yours go from rough to fine detail.

Wow , Your really pushing yourself Raff. These just keep getting better and better.

Very nice work.
Are you using a chainsaw?

H
hewey posted on Mon, May 23, 2005 6:08 PM

Lovin that headrest dude.

Can't wait to see more pics!

I'm starting to appreciate the importance of a headdress on a tiki. They are daunting to get started on, but Ben inspired me with his incredible Lono carvings.

Are you using a chainsaw?

So far to cut out the big wood from the headdress and the notch under his chin. Then it was chisels and a grinder.

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

dang, Raffer, you keep raising the bar, and i just tripped over the last setting!

looking forward to seeing it finished!

Heya Raffer-fishy!
that is one crazy headress...you and ben have that wacky headress thing goin' on lately.

That tiki is really taking shape! and yeah...funny how they never look like their sketch.

Can't wait to see the updates with the face and body done! It's gonna be cool

Palama, trust me, I'm trying to scramble over the bars like everyone else.

Poly, that crazy headdress thing, is Ben raising the bar. Lono bless him.

Thanks guys.

Can you show your original sketch on that anyway? Wow, that headdress is impressive..

edit: not headrest

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully on 2005-05-28 15:46 ]

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully on 2005-05-28 15:47 ]

Aye-aye Capn',

I was going for a traditional tiki so I could concentrate on the headdress. But the headdress went askew, and today, this guy took a radically bizarre turn. It's so different that I can't post an update until it's at least stained and/or finished.

This is gonna be good! Major headdress going on! Good luck. I'm not attempting one of those for a while yet! Lookin good.

Damn Raff, Why you gotta be so cruel. Cant wait to see it..

On 2005-05-28 14:50, Raffertiki wrote:

...But the headdress went askew, and today, this guy took a radically bizarre turn. It's so different that I can't post an update until it's at least stained and/or finished.

I hope this isn't a sore spot, but please don't tell us he now the "Littler Kahuna"...

What's the trick with using a grinder? I bought one, turned it on, turned it off, and shelft it. I had that feeling I should be wearing fullbody leather and a shield, not sandals and protective eyewear. :)

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully on 2005-05-28 15:48 ]

Looks great. Still cant wait till its done.

I hope this isn't a sore spot, but

Not a sore spot, I just go with the flow. Sometimes you redeisign as you go other times the tikis design themselves. This one is a little of both.

Guys, this one is going to be a tiki like you haven't seen before, I guarantee.

What's the trick with using a grinder?

It just takes some getting used to. I usually make the deep cuts with a chainsaw, then round'em off with the grinder. It will save you some blisters.

The Little Kahuna has gone tourist. He still needs some work, but is shaping up nicely.

A closeup of his hawaiian-style shirt, and Napolean pose.

He kind of reminds me of Rodney Dangerfield.

By next update he should be sporting a multi-color stained shirt and a brand new tan

T

WOW! Looks great! Cannot wait to see it done!

B

RAffer, your tiki has done been UpTown shopping in the fancy tiki store, What a neat idea. I have Never seen a tiki wearing a Hawaiian silk shirt, Beautiful, original and unique.
HappyHappyHappy :):):)

That is the most unique thing I have seen. Raff has raised the bar once again.
Very cool , Cant wait to see it done.

great idea with the shirt...love the pose
and grin...very nice effort...getting back
to the shirt...it looks really comfortable!

[ Edited by: congatiki on 2005-05-30 20:41 ]

Hah! That will be one of a kind for sure! Will there be any paint involved, or strictly stain?

B

Thats a funny look on his face, what's he got hold of under his shirt???
The more I see it the Neater he becomes. Very nice!

Hah! That will be one of a kind for sure! Will there be any paint involved, or strictly stain?

I'll use 3 or 4 different stains. I had green, and a red ones mixed at Home Depot. I really want to keep the wood grain as live as possible.

I've decided to leave the traditional tikis to the pros, and create tikis with my own artistic/twisted approach. Though I may still try some traditionals for learning purposes.

Thanks guys, for the encouragement. It motivates me to keep at it.

T

What a HOOT! I admire your creative style!

O
Octane posted on Wed, Jun 1, 2005 6:17 PM

that guy is looking great, love the shirt, can't wait to see how it turns out with all the various stain colors. Very good imagination, i don't think i have ever seen a tiki with a shirt, but heck,after seeing how good it looks i would not be suprised if there are not more in the future.

Hey Raffertiki- That's a cool piece. As a Dangerfield fan AND a tiki fan, I'm a fan of your tiki!

F

very creative ... be careful not to break his toes. The styling is exactly what I have been thinkin of doing... did he have pants on?

Thanks guys, and gals. This guy is starting to grow on me.

As a Dangerfield fan AND a tiki fan, I'm a fan of your tiki!

I got to see RD live at the Jones Beach Theater a while back. He was a classic.

The styling is exactly what I have been thinkin of doing... did he have pants on?

Speedos.

I'm hoping to stain him this weekend. I want to add some detail to the headdress, but the wood is beginning to get dry and crumbly. I still have to figure out what I'm going to do.

I started, this morning, carving a leaf pattern on the headdress. Boy am I out of my league. This is going to involve far more sanding than I am comfortable with. Arggghhhhh! There will be no further pics until I get this under control.

S

super cool ! ! The original approach is the way to go. This thing is going to be AWESOME. That's what I like about TC.One person inspires another who inspires another who inspires the first guy [or gal]. It's like a great upward spiral of art.

B

Go Raffer, Go Go Raffer, Go Go Go Raffertiki go
We know you can do it and we know not what you are going to do so whatever you do will blow us away, Raffertiki ROCKS

Thanks Saxotica, and welcome to TC. This is definately the place to get inspired.

Ben, do you have any advice for sanding the tight nooks and crannies?

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jun 5, 2005 7:24 AM

Hey Raf, thats one sweet tiki you got there. Can't wait to see him stained

Raffer.. you win the award for most creative! great job!

Thanks Hewey. Paloma, I not done yet.

So here's the update, I decided to give the Little Kahuna a pineapple haircut. But I'm feeling way over my head on this. The wood suddenly got very dry, and it became more and more difficult to make clean cuts.

So how do I polish this sucker? I've had some success with small hand chisels, but it's not enough, and sanding will take forever. Does anyone have a nice easy tip for a fool that tried to jump too high?

[ Edited by: Raffertiki on 2005-06-05 16:33 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 354 replies