Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Son of Headhunter

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 354 replies

No dang it. And it's killing me. My bathroom project has been holding me back. But I'm chomping at the bit to get back at it.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Oct 23, 2005 2:20 PM

Raffer,

Bathrooms are way overrated, get out and carve on that MONSTER!!!!!!! I want to see more pics!

-Gman

M

Raffer-
Any progress of that fine Headhunter???
wesley

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Nov 3, 2005 5:06 PM

Raffer,

C'mon, let's see it!!!

-Gman

M

Yea, let's see it!!!
wes

M

Yea, let's see it!!!
wes

New pics before the weekend is over. I promise.

Okay, so I promised an update. A lot of sanding, and I finished carving the grass skirt, roughed out the hair, and roughed out the legs and feet since last time. Did I mention the sanding? Its getting there. Thanks for keeping on my case guys. :)

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Nov 6, 2005 3:37 PM

pics?

M

Where are the photos???
Wes

Sorry.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Nov 7, 2005 5:16 AM

Cool man. I love this guy! Ill kepp on ya case if it means I get to see it completed sooner :)

He looks great! Its come a long ways since the last update!

DAMM, THAT IS AWESOME!! I love it, please post more when you can. Thanks for the photos.
wes

Top notch work Raff. The wait has been worth it....actually no it hasnt!!! Get busy and finish it. The suspence was killing me.

Aloha Raffer!
The head hunter looks great my friend. keep the carvings coming, Aloha mooney

great job, Raffer! (and i'm sure your bathroom looks great, too!) :)

B

Raffer, Looking Awesome!. Is that a HE or a She behind the mask? You know it could be either, with the long hair and the grass skirt, but I think She looks great. Love the movement in the grass skirt and the mask is Really a Cool Idea. Only You Raffer, Only you would think up something like this and actually carve it. I Love it.

Cool headhunter, can't wait to see it finished.

Way beyond the imagination of others. Where or what is you inspiration? I want some.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Nov 8, 2005 5:44 PM

Raffer,

That looks wicked! I can't wait to see more progress. He almost looks like he's holding the mask up to his face, like those old style masks with the wooden posts. I really dig this one. Thanks for posting pics.

-Gman

C

great ideas and concept Raffer....nice to see that you
are back to work on things that count....this is very
impressive

Thanks for everyone who kept on me with this guy. I was away from him for so long it was becoming a habit.

I will be spending some more quality time with him this weekend. Hopefully I can get him through the sanding phase, and then stain and maybe paint him the following weekend.

I have a really demented tiki in my head that's trying to scratch its way out. I need to find a wide log for that one.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. It really does help keep me at it.

Thanks for everyone who kept on me with this guy. I was away from him for so long it was becoming a habit.

I will be spending some more quality time with him this weekend. Hopefully I can get him through the sanding phase, and then stain and maybe paint him the following weekend.

I have a really demented tiki in my head that's trying to scratch its way out. I need to find a wide log for that one.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. It really does help keep me at it.

You promised.. New Pics yet?

Nag nag naaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggg

Much progress, sanding and detail-wise, but I'm not going to post update pics yet. So sorry.

Thanks for the reply. Carve one.

He will be one soon. Til then...

Sorry I mis-typed. I meant to type Carve On (not carve one). Hope I didn't offend.

I know, this one is taking forever, but today I was able to apply the initial coats of stain; golden pecan for the grass shirt and mask, maple for skin tone, and jacobean for the hair and sandels. The next step will be to paint on some color, and possibly add a nose bone. I'm also trying to figure out how to put some real-looking eyes in the eye holes of the mask. I'm open to suggestions on that one.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Dec 23, 2005 1:10 PM

Way to go Raffer! The multi-color stain job looks super so far. I'm thinking about the eyes...if something comes to me I'll PM you. Great job and thanks for posting an update.

-Gman

B

RAffer, I Really Love this guy. He has SO Much personality and the sandals just Blow me Away. Way too much for me now so I gotta go sit down for awhile. Cool

Raffer you are a tiki king....as well as a comic king....really enjoy the finished product.

K
kirby posted on Fri, Dec 23, 2005 5:50 PM

By far one of the coolest tikis ive seen in a while.. great work raff...

The Headhunter is already asking when the party is. I told him it's getting a little cold for even a grass skirt-wearing madman. I hope he understands. Besides, he still needs some detailing. Thanks guys!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Dec 25, 2005 6:43 PM

Very cool. The multicolor stain works real well on him.

As far as the eyes, try hitting up a tile shop for some offcuts. A glass based tile might give a really good effect. Otherwise the tried and true shell inlay?

Honestly that guy is my favorite of all time. It will take quite a while for something better to come along. I haven't been here in awhile and these shots really made it worth while to check back. Thanks for sharing the pics and our creativity.

J

The headhunter just exudes personality! I like the mask, grass skirt and sandals on the tiki.
JP

It's going to take me awile to figure iut the eyes. There are alot of options.

...my favorite of all time

Honestly Palm City, I don't know what t say, because that's saying a lot, and there is really a lot awesome work here.

Thanks guys, I'll post again when he's completely finished.

This guy's cool, Raffertiki... I like the grass skirt. He reminds me of one of those natives who showed up on Gilligan's Island from time to time!

L
Loki posted on Mon, Jan 2, 2006 11:00 AM

Raffer,
I too think he is a top contender. Awesome work.

A

Your headhunter is fantikitastic! I love the mask's expression and all the colors you've used - definitely one of my all-time faves!

Amiotiki

Wow. Now I'm all afluster. Thanks guys. I'm going to try to add some paint this weekend.

BUMP!!! Come on Raff , pick up the chisels again soon. You know ya wannna ....

Ahhh...so many ideas, so few logs. I'm going to be playing volleyball with a potential supplier tonight. Hopefully I'll have some logs for the weekend. Life's been hectic lately, I'm not even sure there will be a MotM this week. But yes, my hands miss that numb feeling assiciated with chisels and power tools. :)

B

Well Hurry up and get the logz already, we're Jonzin fer your stuff man, have a heart and don't put us thru this any longer. Go chop down a tree or Sumthin,Maann

H
hewey posted on Thu, May 4, 2006 7:06 PM

Where you been man? Im hangin to see some more of your work - its awesome! Screw the volleyball - CARVE DAMMIT!

Kustom Kahoona* - Tiki and Hot Rod Art by Hewey*

[ Edited by: hewey 2006-05-04 19:07 ]

I finally got some logage. Pretty big stuff. I don't know what wood it is, but I'm going to start carving away next Saturday.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 354 replies