Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Son of Headhunter

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 354 replies

B

Hey RAffer, check out these tikis from over in the Main page in the HIP thread. The headdress looks Awfully familiar, hmmmm..

How did they get theirs that way? I think they must have seen yours and modeled them after it??

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2005-06-06 05:35 ]

T

That is one old pic, look at the dude waling... Love the socks

Damn, I wish I saw that sooner. I used way too many cuts.

R

Looks great Raff . Not sure what you could use for sanding. I have used those small drum sanding bits and then it usually ends up with hand sanding. I hate sanding too.
No matter what its still a kick ass tiki.

How about some type of files? I bought a dremel contour sander, but haven't used it yet, so I can't say how well it would work for that headdress... Keep going tho!! It's lookin sweet.

B

It's OK raffer, I think yours has more detail than theres anyway. I'm impressed, it is lookin great, It is starting to make sense now.

You know it is very strange how similar the Little Kahuna's headdress looks to those 3 HIP dudes. They have cleaner lines and simetry, but the overall structure is really the same.

Anyway I just spent another 2 hours sanding. I decided to stop whining and getdown to business. I'm afraid a file might tear off more than I mean to, and a drum sander won't get into the sharp corners, so I'm using a Mouse sander as much as possible, and small hand chisels.

I am getting really itchy to begin staining though. Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions guys.

Okay, here he is, The Little Kahuna, give or take a few coats of varnish.

Ad some detail of the headdress that caused me fits.

Now on to the next one.

very unique design Raffer....the aloha
shirt is super! very nice effort....

Dude that's nuts! SO unique. I think the headress really has some cool grain going on there. So where's this hip-cat gonna hang out?

Congrats! It looks fabulous. He looks just like he stepped off the tour bus in Hawaii and is headed to the nearest tiki bar.

Where am I going? And how did I get in this hand-basket?

Tiki Tammy

[ Edited by: tikitammy on 2005-06-11 15:01 ]

T

As my grandma would say "damn boy, that is sweeter than lemonaide on a hot day"

Amazing work Raff. You are one talented Guy.
You keep raising the bar on us rookies.

Very fine work, Raffertiki. Carving is something I've never had the nerve to try. Each one you do gets better and better yet. Love the crazy shirt too!

THis guy is treis cool. Very unique design and I like how the shirt came out.

AWESOME carving, raffer. You gives me ideas...

PS - that headress looks really cool but it also looks like it was a bee-ahtch to carve. You make it look easy.

"Hey, at least I'm housebroken."

[ Edited by: Polynesiac on 2005-06-11 19:36 ]

Raffertiki, I love your tiki, he does kinda look like Rodney Dangerfield....

Raff, it really turned out nice. I like that you've decided to do your own thing. Artistic license & all that. It'll keep us all on our toes waiting to see what's next. :)

The headpiece turned out great.

B

Yeah Raffer!!. Excellent tiki. Love the shirt and the headdress is Awesome. Too much more detail like that and we will expect it ALL the time. no More slacking off now that we know what you are capable of. YES
HappyHappyHappy

very unique design Raffer....the aloha shirt is super!

I don't know if an aloha shirt has ever been carved onto a tiki, but until it's prooved otherwise, I'm going to make the claim that mine was the first.

So where's this hip-cat gonna hang out?

He's going to hang with me until he gets his own pad. (means - I'm going to try to sell him). Shhh

Tammy, I don't know how you got in that handbasket, but you carve real nice yourself

"damn boy, that is sweeter than lemonaide on a hot day"

Oddly enough I'm drinking limeade and gin after a long hot day, and it is mighty sweet.

You keep raising the bar on us rookies.

Rodeo, I still want to get around to making one of those tiki benches.

Carving is something I've never had the nerve to try

Sam, we've like, all been waiting patiently for your first carving post.

that headress looks really cool but it also looks like it was a bee-ahtch to carve. You make it look easy.

Easy nothing, read previous posts. I did my share of bellyaching on this one.

Bamboo Princess, thank you and welcome to TC

I like that you've decided to do your own thing

I realized that there are a lot of folks that I'll never catch up to as far as traditional carving goes. So if I want to make my mark I'll have to go off on my own tangent.

Too much more detail like that and we will expect it ALL the time. no More slacking off now that we know what you are capable of.

Ben, you're killing me. Actually I have some ideas fermenting in my head bone, but I need to find some thicker logs. And as tough as that headdress was, I think it taught me alot.

Thanks Conga, Surfi, TTammy, Thanatos, Rodeo, Sam, Poly, Princess, Aaron's, and Benz!

John, so how did you do the colors on the shirt? I think you said you were going to stain it, but the colors are so vivid, it looks like paint.

B

Hey Aaron, can't you tell, Raffer cut out an actual shirt and glued it onto the shirt carving, How ELSE could he have gotten that realistic looking shirt.
Raffer, Every carving you will Ever do will just be practise for the rest to come. You Never get to quit practising.

Aaron's,

I used water-based stains which are really more like watered down paint. Then I took a tip from TikiTammy's thread and sanded it down before applying the oil-based wood stain over the entire piece.

Ben, don't start asking me to sew real shirts for my tikis, I'll poke my fingers bloody with the needle.

B

Aw, c'mon, a little pinprick never hurt anybody. A Bunch however are another story.

We had house guests for near two weeks, but that didn't stop me from chipping away a little. I had a funky little log so I started a funky little Boai. A cross between a Moai, and a Benzart. He still needs work.

The laid-back NYer

http://www.NiceFishy.com

[ Edited by: Raffertiki on 2005-06-28 20:18 ]

He looks a little moody, but in a likeable way. I'd think I'd be upset if I didn't have a torso yet.

Cool, Raffertiki. He's got attitude. He says, "Give me a break already, why don't ya, and cut the crap...." That really looks like what he's saying! Great work....

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jun 29, 2005 5:26 AM

Love that hawaiin shirt - too cool. I would love that in my garden!

That new guy looks a little sad but

B

Boai, I Really like that. You may be onto a whole new family of tiki here Raffer! He looks pretty cool too. Is he bossing you around yet? Looks like he probably could. Now remember, No Slacking, we KNOW what you Can do!

nice work raffertiki....he does seem to be
somewhat pissed off.

Very cool Raff, It kinda reminds me of one of the monsters on sesame street .If he had been a tiki that is . Glad to see your finding time to carve

He reminds me of this guy: (sorry I couldn't find a better pic)

There is a place in Milwaukee called Bryant's. Normally their drinks are wonderful. But your new guy looks like he just tried one of their mai tais! They're awful! :lol: That's exactly the face I made. Love your Hawaiian shirt guy too, that one's a classic.

I guess I lean towards the angry tiki as opposed to the happy tiki. Both are cool, but I think some attitude adds to the mystery of the environment we try to recreate.

AA, He'll be getting crossed arms this weekend.

Sam, sometimes it seems they do talk. Weird.

Hewey, The Little Kahuna wants to be in your garden.

Ben, I know, this one is a bit less ambitious than my recent attempts, but don't worry I'll be getting radical on the next few.

Conga, he's just moping because I wouldn't spot him another bottle of rum until he pays for the last one.

Sesame Street, my... I mean, thanks Rodeo, and Wahine.

I hope you know I meant that I thought his expression seems like he's displeased about something. I didn't mean that your tiki was awful. I just had a mai tai a couple of nights ago at Bryant's and I can't get it out of my mind because it was so bad.

fd, you must have snuck in a reply while I was writing my own. All's cool. I took your remark in the spirit that you intended, and appreciate it. I can only hope he keeps his personality intact until I finish him. Thanks.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jun 30, 2005 1:03 AM

I was just checkin out the little kahuna again (yeh i love it) and noticed he's hiding one hand behind his back, and the other is hidden in his Hawaiin shirt at the front. Whats he hiding?

Is this another one of your angry tikis with a knife - wrapped up in a chearfull wrapper just to lull everyone into a false sense of security (apart from Finkdaddy who is on edge after a bad Mai Tai experience).

Hewey, he's just striking a classic Napolean pose. Nothing devious.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jun 30, 2005 6:36 AM

Still gonna keep an eye on him just in case...

:)

I was hoping to varnish this guy today, but we got nailed with an isolated thunderstorm. Hopefully he will dry off by tomorrow.

S

Wow ! I really like the face on this one ! Very cool ! !

R

I love it!! Raff this one turned out amazing. Great detail on the face and those crossed arms.. Well they are perfect.

B

Cool Raffer. I can see him standin around in the kings bath house, shootin the bull and plannin wars and buildin arena's and al the stuff that those guys do. Real Classy. Nice work Raffer..

Damn!!That's sweeeeet!

D

nice cheeks

on the tiki, i mean.

T

I luv the nose, you rock!

H
hewey posted on Sat, Jul 9, 2005 10:58 PM

He looks like a bouncer. Would be cool to have 2 in the same style (but not identical) at the entry to a tiki bar.

Love it

wow...doing some great work raffertiki...i like everything
about this one....you are developing quite a distintive
style....to steal a line from our buddy Ben...more more more

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 354 replies