Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Son of Headhunter

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 354 replies

F

great work, li really like seeing people step outside the traditional style and then incorporation the traditional tattoos and feel.

excelent work

Tons of character! I love it.

I'll be honest that I wasn't sure about this guy until the homestretch. The tats really ratched up his attitude level. I applied the first coat of varnish which was saoked up liike a sponge. He will need at least 2 more coats, probably 3.

Thanks everyone for your compliments. Reading them was sure a nice way to finish up a long day.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jul 11, 2005 5:17 PM

Mate, thanks for the pics. Looking at them was a top way to finish off a long day :)

This guy is something else! Great work, Raffertiki. It's clear to see you have raised the bar on this guy...

Thanks Hewey.

Sam, I think my next one is going to drag me way past my comfort/skill level. I'll need to get my tools sharpened for that one.

Okay, so this one is signed, sealed, and delivered. Yes I sold him.

Here he is with 4 coats of marine varnish (satin finish).

He went to a good home, so it was easy to let him go. The fun part was delivering him in the passenger seat of my little Del Sol. I got more than a few double-takes.

Congrats Raff, on making such a beautiful carving and on the sale also.

FA

Very nice piece, love the light wood, great carving.

Raff, he came out fantastic! That's got to be one the coolest carvings that I've seen here. I know you got some inspiration fron Benz, but it really came out unique.

Aaron

B

Great job Raffer, abosolutely great!. I really love the pose, the way the arms are crossed, The eyes, the tongue, the Tats. the whole look looks great, I Love this guy Raffer Is he a long last algonquin brother of mine??? I see my strong influence in him, you have done well my brother. You must now show us more

Thanks Rodeo, Fez Ape.

AA - Yes this guy was definately Benz inspired, which means it was an awesome learning piece for me. I'm glad he was as well received as he was. I might have to revisit this design soon.

You must now show us more

Ben - I started a new one yesterday.

Thanks guys.

CREATIVE! LOVE the maori touch on the cheeks. Yes, style has emerged. I don't want to develop a style, 'cause there's so many styles to try! I'll have to someday.

O

nice orginal design. i like the arms crossed. THe face has nice deep cuts,and good looking tattoos. i like the mouth with the tongue and the teeth. Looks good, very impressive.

Hey Raffertiki-

That guy turned out great! Good to know that he went to a good home too. When ya starting on the next one????

Surfin, I too try different styles, but they all seem to look similar, somehow.

Octane, I think the crossed arms will be a recurring theme for me. It makes it a "protector tiki" and damn if I don't give them a lot of good mojo for the rightful owner.

Sam, the next one is already started. I'm way outto my league with it, but I'm going to try.

Thanks guys.

B

Raffer, thats the best way to improve your carving skills. Reach higher and try something you think is beyond your skill level. What happens is that you will find a way to "Solve" the problems when you get to them. When you are done, your skill level will be much higher. You have already come a long way since you first started asking us "Carvers" how to stop the hurting hands or something like that. We have All watched your tikis continually get better and better and you have developed a "Raffertiki" style that is very distinguishably yours.
Keep up the good work and keep reaching for that Next level. You CAN Do it.

Raffertiki,

A while ago you asked me how long it took to develop my style, it looks like that is a question I should be asking you. The latest tiki you created is outstanding. It kind of reminds me of some of the tough guy surfers around here who like to hang around the cliffs and vibe people. It has the tattoos and smashed nose all it needs is a forty ouncer. I always look forward to seeing your new ideas.

Will

Yeah Benz, it's kind of like training for a marathon, you keep running a little farther each time until you can haul the entire 26.2 miles. Except there is no finishline in site with carving. Who knows where it will take you? And thank you for the inspiration.

Wow thanks SC. The new one is going to be completely different from what I've done so far. Hopefully I can measure up to the challenge.

By the way, on 2 occasions I've found 2 different Praying Mantises on the head of the new one. Would you guys consider it a sign?

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jul 27, 2005 9:56 PM

On 2005-07-27 14:43, Raffertiki wrote:
By the way, on 2 occasions I've found 2 different Praying Mantises on the head of the new one. Would you guys consider it a sign?

Its a sign that this tiki attracts preying mantis. The mantis gods smile upon you.

Nice work on that last too. Looks great with the stain.

Okay it's been a while since I've posted any carving pics, but a business trip killed one weekend, and working on my bathroom all but killed another one. But enough of zees lame excuses. Here are 3 views of the Headhunter I've been working on.

I forgot to mention, I'm going to drill a hole in his hands so he will be holding a tiki torch.

S

awesome!

B

Raffer, this guy is reallyway Out there. I Love it. A Tiki wearing a tiki mask andwhat, a hula skirt?? What ever it is I think this one is really going to be an Awesome one.
Keep these guys coming...

T

Its well done with lots of character. One of your best.

raffer this one is really nice...you are coming up with
some great ideas...fantastic effort!

Thumbs up on this guy. How tall is he? If you posted that info, I missed it.

You are still a carving maniac! Interruptions or not! Lookin very cool, Raffertiki...

By the way, Raffertiki, how tall is he? Will you paint or just stain this one? A little color would make the mask look cool!

Way to go Raffertiki!! That gut is really cool. I can see what you ment by pushing the envelope!!
Later,
Spermy

That's a "life of the party" tiki for sure. The expression is great and the grass skirt shows a lot of movement. If you can bring all that out of a log, you've got it knocked. And it's not even finished... :)

H

Another awesome carving. Love the mask and the hula skirt. he looks so cheeky! Another piece I would love in my yard.

What a great way to start a rainy Sunday morning. You guys do realize that you're just encouraging me to keep this carving stuff up.

Yes that is a grass skirt, but it will be more obvious when I carve out his ankles and feet.

He's only about 4' tall, but makes up for it with his type A personality.

I do plan to use different colored stains, and some paint. I haven't completely worked out how I'm going to do it yet, but there is still a lot of chipping away and sanding ahead of me before I have to really address it.

Thanks everyone.

Raffer this guy is AWESOME. I love the mask on the tiki. Can't wait to see him done.

You are one original carver...very cool!

So, what ever happened to our fearless headhunter? Hit by poisonous darts? Eaten by cannibals? Converted by missionaries???

K

thats a great idea, and it looks awsome raff...

Thanks guys. The Headhunter is waiting patiently for me to stop being so busy. I'm thinking I can give him some quality time this Sunday. The bathroom is coming along fine though.

Okay I'm trying real hard not to slack off on this guy, but it's like living on the Rain Planet around here lately, and it's supposed to rain through the coming weekend as well. Waaahhhhh!

stupid rain!

Great creative, original work there Raffer! hopefully the sun god will win out soon and let you get back to work.

B

Boy what an Evil grin this guy has. If you sit there long enough, just looking at it, you will have Nightmares even Before you get to sleep. Creepy. I really Love it Raffer.

I cant wait to see this guy done . Ben is right about the grin. I am going to go now and make sure my doors locked.

Raffer-
The smile on his face just draws you to him. The whole idea of a Tiki wearing a mask and with the grass skirt is very original. You have great talent.
Do you live in Long Island NY?
Wes

Thanks Paloma, Ben, Rodeo, and Moondance. Yeah this guy has dental issues, but I think that is part of his charm.

I think the rain is supposed to stop tomorrow morning, but this guy is soaked. Hopefully I can make some headway tomorrow.

Moondance, (a friend of mine has a horse named "Moon Dancer") I live in Huntington, L.I., NY. Do you have roots here?

I have seen your stuff progress and I like each new one better than the last. I can't wait to see the finished piece on this one.

ps nice meeting you at Hukilau

Aloha raffertiki!!!!!!

that headhunter tiki is really cool!!!!!! I love your creativity on your carvings keep up the killer chisel blazing!!!!
It was great to meet you at the Hukilau! Aloha , mooney

Raffertiki,

I love the originality!!

What do you do for inspiration, are you hitting up the wacky tabaccie.
Just kidding, you must be one of those eccentric Andy Warhol types.

I hope to see you sometime in N.Y.

Will

Palm City, Thanks for the comps. It was nice meeting you as well and checking out your work. And welcome to TC.

Moonie I'm gald we met. You have a unique style of your own. I've never seen masks done the way you do them.

What do you do for inspiration, are you hitting up the wacky tabaccie.

Funny, I've been asked that quite often over the years. But no, I don't touch the stuff. Do you have plans to fly out here? I can bring you to some vineyards that might be inspirational.

Any recent progress of your carving? I can't to see him complete.
Wes

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 354 replies