Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Son of Headhunter

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 354 replies

Aaron, they pointed to the far end of the property and said, "Take what you need." I soon realized I was getting no help, so I found the only log I could maybe handle, backed the Rav4 as close to it as I could, then managed to stand it up and "walk it" until I could tip it in. I realized how out of shape I actually am from sitting on my ass all winter, but I wasn't leaving empty handed.

Ben, you know pics are coming. I'm going to try to sell this to a restaurant that claims to have a tiki bar out back in the summer, but has no tiki to speak of.

B

Sounds like all you have to do is tell him about that group of customers who were laughing because there were No Tikis in the TIKI Bar. Then tell him you just Happen to make them in your spare time and for the right price you'll fix him up

I like it. Now I have a log and a plan. Carving begins on Saturday.

I drove home after work today and found three five-plus foot oak logs beside my driveway. I turns out my friend Fuzzy Bob left 'em for me.

Pretty damn cool.

S

cool, reminds me of a gorilla with a hat on it's head
-surfgoof

S

lol,, woops!! i was checking out the first page!!

B

Thats really nice when you find the log gifts. I used to have a few trimmers that would drop off logs on their way to the dump. Just by the size and cuts and tools used I could narrow it down to the doner. They were always surprised I knew who each pile was from. I had the best log pile of any of the south Fla carvers. They would come around mooching wood from me.
What ya' gonna do with them thare Oaken logs boy? Yer gonna show us pitchersalong the way, right?
HappyHappyHappy

This one's been taking a while, hence the surface cracks and wood filler. I can't beleive how quickly this wood dried out, it was wet when I started.

Still it's turning out half decent and is my most ambitious piece so far. It measures 5'8".

I still need to carve out the legs and feet, and some detail work, and much more staining.

T

Wow!!! Just got done with my first... It isnt as easy as it looks

S

Really like the crossed arms. Keep up the good work!

B

Hey Raffer, this one is looking Great!!. In the winter with the cold temp also comes Very low humidity which sucks the moisture out of wet logs in a hurry. Try covering it with a blanket when you are not working on it.
Can't wait to see this guy. The folded arms will add to his attitud greatly...
Very happyhappyhappy

Raff, you always put a fresh spin on things. It looks really nice with the big solid features... barely noticed the cracks. It will be great to see the legs emerge.

A-A

I think this one looks very cool. I am in awe of your work and your progress. I can't wait to see this one finished. Thank you for posting pic's!!!
Later,
Spermy

I can't recall if I ever saw a tiki with crossed arms, but I'm sure I must have, because it seems like a natural. Thanks for the kind words and encouragement guys. It makes the scrapes, cuts, and tweaked backs worthwhile.

wow raffertiki, this last one's a real beauty!
It's so cool to see how you've progressed with your carving!

I just bought a tiny little set of chisels, and have a bit of wood from a tree that was taken down in my front yard. I just have to jump in a try it! I'm such a chicken. Should probably wait a bit, it's really wet cryptomeria japonica(japanese cedar) The first nations people around here use cedar for their totems and other carvings, so it might work for me too!

Wow , this is one of your best yet.
Is it gonna be a keeper? Cant wait to see it done.

TWahine,

Really, just jump into it. If it doesn't turn out, burn it and chalk it up to experience. No one has to know. Then start again. But I'm sure you'll do fine.

Rodeo,

I'm actually going to try to sell this, either to a surf shop, or a local "Tiki Bar" that doesn't have any tikis. Somewhere where I can get some exposure.

M

Sweet work Raffer! Stylin full body's already? Nice. I got some new logs with full bodies in them. I just have to dig them out.

Mahalo!

Keep us up to date.

Go raffertiki Go! Go! Go! Go!
That is looking finer than fresh huckleberries
It will be cool to watch this one take more shape.
Ah spring, the birds are chirpin' and the wood chips are flyin'

Chongolio

So, Raff. How does oak carve?

T

You are a CARVING MACHINE!

Dude! my favorite of yours so far. I love the crossed arms and the mouth. Does it go all the way through? either way - totally cool!
the surface cracks of the wood add a TON of character - they make it look older.

can't wait to see it finished! It's going to be hard to part with! (unless there is copious amounts of $$$$ waiting...)

So, Raff. How does oak carve?

Everyone kept saying, "Oak, that's too hard! But I love carving it. It holds the detail well, and I don't have to worry about it crumbling like the softer woods.

I love the crossed arms and the mouth. Does it go all the way through?

No, I chickened out.

Thanks again everyone.

I've been sanding all weekend, and still more to go. This one turned out to be bashful and demanded a loin cloth which I still have to work out a pattern to carve into. That and toes and maybe I can stain him by next weekend.

He thinks he's looking pretty badass.

T

Wow! Such detail.. Maybe I need to slow down...

B

Woah Sandy, you Have been Sanding a Lot I see. This guy is realy turning out Nice. It's funny how these guys, to whom yo have just given life, are so demanding and ask for rediculous things like a loin cloth. Just who does he think he is a god or something?
I really like this one raffer.

What a cool piece! It looks like you've been practicing behind our backs...!

That's a beaut... pine log?

Looks like another one back there trying to push himself on you before you finish this one...

Keep up the dedicated great work... always great to see another carver's work from the northern reaches of the country!

duplicate post...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2005-05-02 09:03 ]

A wooden loin cloth, that's a twist! Besides, it avoids all that embarrasing sanding later. A nice carved tapa pattern on the cloth, and you'll have a very unique tiki. I think you carve from a painter's perspective, & that's cool, Raff.

Simply awesome Raff, Cant wait to see it done.

Thanatos, you're doing just fine. I just keep trying different things to try to find my "voice" as a carver anyway. This is my detail attempt.

Thanks Ben. I always get a surprise outcome from each one. All part of the tiki magic I guess.

Sam, you well know that the practice is in the doing.

Thanks Lake Surfer. Oak.

Aaron'sA, I'm torn between tapa or a floral design. That's funny because I'm starting to paint like a carver.

Thanks Rodeo. Me too.

Looks like he's daring you to take off his loin cloth!
Lookin' pretty mean there Raffer.

I wouldn't dare. Thanks Surfin'.

Despite Oasis, tiki is being created this day. More carving, more sanding, and finally a coat of stain. Who'm I kidding, I'd rather be at Oasis, but this is the next best thing.

Oh, and his name is Woo the Protector.

[ Edited by: Raffertiki on 2005-05-08 13:48 ]

R

That looks great Raff. Are you keeping this guy for yourself? Thanks for sharing.

B

WOw, Mr Woo looks like he is ready to Woo the Women. Isn't it nice to see the results of all that sanding come out in a nice smoothe finish? This one is really nice raffer. The diffficulty of the folded arms didn't seem to bother you at all. Way to go.

T

Very nice. like the cloth..... how long start to finish did it take?

Jim

M

Great work, don't think I can say anymore.

T

Very nice, I love the cocky attitude he seems to have. Good Work!

Are you keeping this guy for yourself?

Woo the Protector will be on display and for sale at the Kustom Kulture gallery.

Ben, I think adding the stain is my favorite part of the process.

how long start to finish did it take?

About 4 weekends. I didn't track the hours, but I never sanded so much in my life.

Thanks MaD-Tiki.

Tammy, It's funny how they develope an attitude dispite what you had in mind for them.

Thanks guys.

T

THANKS!

B

I didn't realize you carve, too? These are great. From an artist perspective, your artwork all has a unique style all your own. It carries over to all of your mediums. The curve of a chin, the shape of an arm or the wink on an eye screams Raffertiki. I didn't expect to see it pop out of a piece of wood, but there it was. You have a way of turning art to gold. Wonder what you'll take on next?

I spent some extra time on your website this morning. You had some new stuff up that I hadn't seen, and I'd fallen behind on the Beachcomber saga. The strap-on tease got me to click...nice trick!

Is there anything you don't do?

Raffertiki,

Wow, your last tiki is a beauty. You have come a long way since your first tiki on this post. I love the folded arms and the aggro look of your most current showing. Keep up the killer carvings, they are becoming true works of fine art. If I could afford one and didn't already have 10 vagrant tikis in my backyard, I would be stoked.

Will

I didn't realize you carve, too?

I tend to spread myself a little thin, but I can't seem to help myself.

You have come a long way since your first tiki on this post.

I wouldn't have been able to get where I am without the inspiration, tips, and encouragement from the fine peeps in creating tiki.

Thanks beachin and SCTikiShack!

hey raffer!

I really like this guy. The folded arms and the wooden loin cloth turned out awesome. And that stain! Man, the unstained carving is awesome, but that stain really brings everything to life!

VERY well done, I look forward to the next one!

Swee-diddly-eet Raffs! I just knew the stain was gonna seal the deal.
Chongolio

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 354 replies