Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

tiki faces in weird and strange places

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 304 replies

T

Hence the warning to always thoroughly cook your meat, fish, and poultry!

[ Edited by: tikigreg 2005-08-22 16:08 ]

Now I see why the truck was speeding.

K
Kono posted on Mon, Aug 22, 2005 3:46 PM

On 2005-08-21 19:35, RevBambooBen wrote:
I see the up coming Hukilau in my Tri Tip!! I see all of Florida too!!

Ack! Looks like red tide for the whole state. Stay away from the water folks!

From a motel wall in Amarillo...I can't decide if it's a tiki or if it's Frankenberry.

A distant truck on I-40 in Oklahoma.

Looks more like Count Chokula.

Raukar in sweden

T

That GI JOE boat was one of my all time favorite toy.

Anyone else see a Moai?

Well, 'TIS THE SEASON, as they say, and I have been saving this for the October month...patiently waiting until the proper time to unveil my little discovery...a MOAI prominently featured on a HALLOWEEN HORROR ALBUM...and quite a nice album, too, if you remember this one from the 70's................

AW SHUCKS, they keep changing the address of the pics where I posted them. And Shutterfly appears not to be working at all!

[ Edited by: procinema29 2005-10-14 09:02 ]

Well, you can go to the address below and see the things, providing they don't change that address every couple of hours.......................

http://www.horror.com/media/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=4215

OK, this isn't exactly on topic, but it's close. I was making mashed potatos for today's Xmas dinner and it hit me that spuds would be really easy to carve (yeah, I know . . I've got it BAD).

8T

Just tell us you didn't do that with chisels!!

M
Moki posted on Mon, Dec 26, 2005 6:35 PM

Okay... that one made me laugh out loud!!! Tiki Spud!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This one (and his friends) were hiding on my sisters X-mas table-cloth....

B

Every time I watch Good Eats I think this mushroom in the title sequence looks like the top of a Moai.

haaha, excellent screen capture, mojo!

wouldn't put it past ol' alton to put some subliminal tiki in there.

Some of these are pretty funny. I think someone should carve a version of the one Makutiki submitted.

T

Spud Tiki! That's hilarious! I bust out laughin' at that one too.

Here's one in space:

more info here: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060314.html

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-03-29 12:28 ]

Found this thrifting the other day....

Can't decide if it is Moai or Robot. So I will say Robotic Moai....

And, it works both ways up.....

Mixology as a culinary art!

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2006-05-03 17:26 ]

Whoa! That's Mom's Electrolux. I remember a traveling salesman sold it to us circa 1971!

CA

has this been posted.... just found this guy at one of the most visited place on earth, one of the most visited spots at the Grand Canyon!!
South Rim... Visitor Center View point

This one was a little more 'vivid" after a few cocktails......

Josh playing his upright at the Jetsetter. Looked over and there it was, a Moai just jamming out with the band.....

O

On 2006-12-30 06:12, bigbrotiki wrote:
While this is not fully Tiki, but more "outsider art" or "roadside art", often these kind of environments have Tiki-like elements. There could also be a thread on "Tikis in strange places"

OK, here goes
My brother Michael Mc Millen has an interest in tiki that our mother was involved in designing.
From Dec 25 to Jan 13 this installation on the corner of Santa Monica blvd and Yale runs from 6pm to midnight every night in Santa Monica, California.
The film Cyclops shown contains at least one shot of the Trade Winds exterior. There is another picture showing the two Witco tikis used by Ione atat the Royal Hawaiian clubhouse.
The film is shown continously until January 13, 2007 from 6pm to midnight each night.

Trade Winds entrance with the tiki to the lower right

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-01-10 14:11 ]

O

Here is a video on You Tube from Red Trailer Motel I just uploaded today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHUZnwYWmnM

Thank you for opening this thread, Tim. Yet with "Tiki in strange places" I was more thinking along the lines of urban archeology, of finding old Tikis out of their element, in not obvious, non-Polynesian themed places, much like your post on that desert body shop/junk yard that lead to this one.

Here are some examples:
The "Tune up Tiki" at Bob Willemsen's Instatune on Lincoln Blvd in Santa Monica:

Their office waiting room was filled to the hilt with New Guinea masks, the owner had travelled there. When I went back to photograph that, the place had changed hands, and was barren of Tiki.

or these doorhandles on a place in Korea town, on Vermont and Beverly (I believe). It must have been Chinese/Polynesian once, but was a Korean Disco now. I liked the juxtaposition of the name and the urban blight look. (The new name is not bad either, it's now called "Bobby London".) :)

And here, some lost looking Tikis on the interior miniature golf course at the Family Fun Center in Ontario, CA:

Back to the desert: Here is a forgotten beauty behind an old prospector's adobe abode, across from the Miracle Manor Motel in Desert Hot Springs, (near Palm Springs)

It stood amidst some sort of desert garden, I was told that UFO enthusiasts used to gather there...

PS: Most of these are gone now

BB

I drive by Bobby London's all the time. I always thought the rock facade out front was cool but had never noticed the door handles. I'm gonna have to go inside at some point and I'm sure when I do the music will stop and all eyes will be on me until I leave but I'm going in!

O

My mistake, here are some tiki from the Hole in the Wall welding yard in Palm Springs.

Notice the metal spike in the eye

Fort Tiki

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-01-03 19:15 ]

On 2007-01-03 15:04, bigbrotiki wrote:
these doorhandles on a place in Korea town, on Vermont and Beverly (I believe). It must have been Chinese/Polynesian once, but was a Korean Disco now. I liked the juxtaposition of the name and the urban blight look. (The new name is not bad either, it's now called "Bobby London".) :)

PS: Most of these are gone now

I drove by Bobby London tonight and the door handles are gone. Even though you said most of those things were gone I was hoping the handles would still be there. Bah!

Ok, very good! But what is the strangest place of them all in that desert, everyone? That's right, the SALTON SEA! Once touted as the next Palm Springs, this giant inland lake was the site of numerous developments that all went under when the water turned brackish and briny and dead fish began to line its shores. It is my favorite boulevard of broken dreams, and where ever there is a paradise lost, Tiki is not far. Follow the trail of the sub-suburban archeologist, smell the briny water, feel the relentless sun:

Once there was to be a new Riviera:

All the signs pointed in the right direction:

But even though the water was big...:

..the water turned bad...:

..and the palm trees died..:

...and the people left:

But some stayed, among them, this guy:

It's a long road to Honolulu:

But once upon a time, there even was the:

Boy oh boy, I am having entirely too much fun with my new scanner!

M

Loved all of the pictures especially the Salton Sea stuff. The whole idea of a "ghost" of the past in the present has always been intriguing to me.

O

This place is on La Brea blvd in LA.

No tiki bar though, just the sign

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-01-04 10:47 ]

O

What does the Tiki Lounge in Ventura, California have in common with most of the tiki bars in Florida? With the exceptions of the obvious Florida tiki palaces?

How about no tiki!

These were the closest things in the whole store. Lack of tiki in strange places?

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-01-06 21:45 ]

My friend's daughter wanted to have her birthday party at the Putting Edge at the Howard Hughes Center. It is a pitch black, black light indoor miniature golf course. It's amazing how fast you can lose a bunch of sugar induced hyped up kids in the dark, even in a small room.

after the sea/whale/shark hole

is an Aztec type Tiki

the camera couldn't focus in the dark, which is why it's so blurry... but it's honestly how I felt after being in there for three hours, like the cheapest high I've ever had without first ingesting tequila.

That's an approximation of an Olmec giant stone head in the black lite room, nice pic.

topics merged.

Hanford, these were actually two different topics:

Tiki faces in weird places:

• was meant to be a platform for Tiki sightings where there are none, when the Tiki-addicted mind plays tricks on you and makes you conjure up Tikis in upside down trash cans and such, really a fun concept!

Tiki in strange places:

-was supposed to be about what I mentioned earlier:

"...with"Tiki in strange places" I was more thinking along the lines of urban archeology, of finding old Tikis out of their element, in not obvious, non-Polynesian themed places..."
Meaning actual TIKIS found in unexpected surroundings, or simply strange environs.

It does seem that some people have a hard time understanding the difference between these concepts.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-01-08 17:51 ]

Sorry, this is why I don't like to merge topics too often -- it's undoable. I have changed the name of the topic to reflect both threads now!

Sorry!

On 2007-01-08 17:42, bigbrotiki wrote:
Hanford, these were actually two different topics:

Tiki faces in weird places

• was meant to be a platform for Tiki sightings where there are none, when the Tiki-addicted mind plays tricks on you and makes you conjure up Tikis in upside down trash cans and such, really a fun concept!

Tiki in strange places

-was supposed to be about what I mentioned earlier:

O

Mandalay Bay, Oxnard California

T

Really, these were two different threads. One showing different objects that resemble tiki and tiki faces and the more recent one of actual tikis showing up in nontraditional settings.

O

Well, I made the initial post in error in tiki in strange places so it is because of that that these were combined. Sorry Hanford, my fault. Then again, it brought back a cool post of images for all of us to enjoy.

remnants of fence at the old Trade Winds site

If anyone would like to go to the reception this Sat, here is the info. I'll see you there. There are several shots of tiki in the film.

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-01-10 20:04 ]

O

Tiki in tool rental yard, Oxnard California

Tiki on boat piling near Fort Myer, Florida

Life is a state of mind

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-01-28 22:09 ]

T

Sweet tiki. I went there a few months ago and of course , no camera. You look out the window and there are three tiki, one being the above photo, in the water. Two tikis flank the door. Very nice design with bits of color and are weathered. And more tikis inside. The food was awesome. I got the full rack of ribs.

The place is called the Sandy Hook and its in a big fishing area. I heard that the fishing was some of the best (ever).

O

Thanks Teakey,

My girlfriend took this picture for me but evidently didn't get the two at the door. Lol
Thanks for the name and what island is this on? She couldn't remember

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-01-30 01:07 ]

Where am I ?

Here's a hint:

D

Tiki Island above The Silverlake? (I do that sometimes too when I wake up on Saturday mornings) The real question is how did you get in that cage.

[ Edited by: dibroc 2007-02-10 12:24 ]

O

Upside down above the Silverlake.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 304 replies