Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

~~~~ Tiki G. ~~~~

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 370 replies

TG

Thanks Polynesiac, I do appreciate that.

Lake thanks too. Yeah I have been making them, but have not ever posted any. That one is a little Easter Island Style Lamp. Made a few of them for the festival this weekend. Nice pic you sent of the Lake swell. Does look fun indeed, but COLD! I'm done with everything for this weekend. I'll post pics of the Festival tent set-up next week. Have you started on that big order for restaurant yet?

J
JTD posted on Tue, Mar 29, 2005 4:53 AM

Gary,
Please post a list of the festivals you plan on being at this Spring/Summer. We'd love to come see your work in person.

Thanks,
JTD

TG

JTD to start off with I will be at:

The Jax Beach Pavillion this Friday, Saturday, Sunday for the:

Georges "Springing The Blues" Festival,
April 1-3rd.

Fernandina "Shrimp Festival", Fernandina Beach FL, April 2-3, 2005

"Dancing in the Street" Art Festival,
May 14th, 2005, Town Center, Atlantic/Neptune Beach

"Redbank Jazz Festival", Redbank New Jersey, June 3-5th.

Pensacola "Fiesta of Five Flags" Seafood Festival, September 24-26th.

This is all for now. yes, please stop by to say Hi. The Blues festival is a blast!

G.

[ Edited by: Tiki G. on 2005-04-11 08:36 ]

TG

[ Edited by: Tiki G. 2006-07-13 07:21 ]

Looking good! I'm Gonna have to try to do a Marq, one of these days.

G, good to see some more full body tikis. That Maori looks to be influenced by Gecko's tiki he had when he visited Martin Denny. Check it out.

TG

Thanks Chiki......that fountain is rad! Sweet work you got going on there. Yeah it does kind of look like it, where do you think I got the idea from!

G.

TG

[ Edited by: Tiki G. 2006-08-02 06:15 ]

J
JTD posted on Mon, Apr 11, 2005 7:52 AM

G.,
Great stuff that looks even better in person. My son and I stopped by your booth at the Blues fest. We loved the Maori tiki (with the rope around the base) and the Moai set, too. Uncle Sam just whacked me hard, but I vow that we will have one of your creations!! Keep 'em coming.

JTD

B

TikiG, the Look is getting better and better. That Tangaroa looks great.

TG

JTD, thanks alot for the compliment. It was a fun weekend. Sold alot.....Glad you stopped by the tent.....Why didn't you introduce yourself? Was I there at the time? It got pretty crazy and crowded as the evening went on.

Benzart, and thanks to you as well. I am really diggin' these older styles. Wish I could keep this Tang' too! Another day I suppose............Glad to see your back to trying to cut your finder again! Just kidding, the new stuff looks great.

G.

J
JTD posted on Tue, Apr 12, 2005 2:43 PM

Gary,
I don't think you were there at the time - unless you've gotten a much closer haircut than I see in the photos. We were there on Saturday around 1 p.m. Anyway, we'll be back for more!

JTD

TG

JTD....Yes I did get my ears really lowered recently. My daughter Suzanne whipped out her "carving tools" on my head a few weeks before the festival....She kept making different goofy styles as she got shorter and shorter while laughing at me until it was... See results below:

I'm kinda diggin' it....Waaay less hassle.

[ Edited by: Tiki G. on 2005-04-13 04:24 ]

J
JTD posted on Wed, Apr 13, 2005 8:11 AM

ha ha ha. Great photos.

TM

As we say here in Australia - "Bloody Beautiful!" - I carve tikis from concrete which take a good part of a day to do one. Your huge wooden Tikis made my jaw drop. They could easily have been submitted to 'The Book of Tiki' as a vintage 'find'. Well done mate. Love your workshed too. What type of wood are they carved from?
keep it up the fantastic work & the enthusiasm!

Thanks for the tap handle! It is great... Pics are on my pool topic...

TG

Thanks Tiki Motu. "Bloody Beautiful"! You gotta love that....classic. Some are Palm, but most of the new ones are White Pine...Built the bloody shed myself too! I call it my slave quarters. Concrete huh? Last' forever..........

Thanatos your welcome. From the looks of it, you probably could have carved it yourself!!!!! When you get the carving totally down, you should be able to carve a your tiki in an hour or so.......sanded and all. Keep up the good looking work there.

[ Edited by: Tiki G. on 2005-04-25 06:51 ]

TG

[ Edited by: Tiki G. 2006-08-02 06:36 ]

B

Lookin great. looks like everyone is having too much fun. Likeing your new stuff.

T

WOW! Looks great as always! BTW this is my 200th post! What better place to post then the guy who csarved my Favorite tap handle!!

F

Your is awe inspiring and just inspiring.... thaks for posting and sharing your talent

TG

Thanks Benzart, Thanatos and Flacookz. We did have fun. I think we worry more about have much fun were having rather than the reason why we're there. I just enjoy the time being there and meeting some very interesting folk. Hukilau here we come.....

R

What great pics. I noticed that your girl and you are sporting some cool t-shirts . Did you screen those yourself?
Thanks for sharing.

TG

Rodeo thanks. Actually, the T-Shirt artwork I did myself, saved it to a disk as a jpeg, then had a local company press them on from color transfers. They turned out pretty good. People were asking if we had any to sell believe it or not....We wear them at the festivals so people can pick us out of the crowd.

TG

Couple semi-identical custom ordered 4' tikis with mouths hollowed out for Bose Environmental outdoor speakers to be installed. Happy Customer "Barry".

[ Edited by: Tiki G. 2005-09-08 11:15 ]

What a great idea. I take it the speakers are weather proof then. Functional tiki is my favorite

TG

Yeah, (weatherproof) and not cheap either. Think he said he paid about $290.00 for the pair. He's sealing up the back with a cover over the hole to conceal them and putting some sort of black screen over the front. These babies thump! He put these on his new tiki'd out deck he's working on.

T

THe black screen will be a nice touch. Bose are nice but I bet the tiki will be the talk of the party over the speakers that anyone can get. Now a tiki DJ booth to match.

G, these look fantastic. Functional tiki really rocks. Thanks for sharing.

I will be near Pensacola on September 24th & plan to come by the festival to check out your work. Do TCer's get a discount? HA

TG

Tammy thanks! Yeah functional is good.....Actually, I decided to vend at the Hukilau instead of the Pensacola Festival this year. We will attend the Pensacola Fest next year I'm sure. I figured it was time to show at a Hukilau after 2 years of not being able to make it. Thanks for the reply:)

G.

I'm going to show these to a co-worker who is building a tiki bar in his backyard by the dock. Don't be surprised if you get a call from Long Island. Those are really nice G.

sonofabeach....opps...son of a gun...nice
tiki Gary...I was thinking of doing the
same thing (probably not carved as nicely
as yours)...with a pair of bose outdoor
speakers...you beat me to the punch!

T

That is the shiznet.....

I wanna see a pic of that trike dealio. D'ja make it?

TG

Thanks Raffer, I appreciate that. Thanks Conga, it was a little trouble carving all the way through. Did not think my logs were wide enough to start with, but they ended up being just fine...... Thanatos, I thought you would like'em, thanks.

Tiki Diablo......Check out this website.

http://www.msaffer.com

This website belongs to my friend that made the trike (I helped though) that lives across the street from me. Check his website out and take peek at what else he has built. This dude is a mechanical genius, and funny as hell....The "Riding Lawn Mower Flame Thrower" really works, I know, I was involved in the first test of this damn thing.

This is what "I" built below...1935 Chevy.

M

Sweeet Gary!

TG

[ Edited by: Tiki G. 2005-07-27 09:13 ]

TG

[ Edited by: Tiki G. 2006-08-02 06:46 ]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2006-08-02 18:49 ]

M

Nice logs bruddah! Youre quite busy this summer as you haven't bestowed as many carvings as before. You get a job or summtin?

Why you postin @ 0433 in da mornin?

Stay in touch

Mahalos

TG

Mc, thanks. Long time, no write. No, same day job, same tiki night job. Not much time for relaxation. Taking a break in October though. I'll be vending at the Hukilau and enjoying a little R&R with some fellow TC'ers! You going?

Not sure why that say's 4:33am, it was around 8:00am eastern time when I posted? Maybe my computer clock is wrong or something.

Good to hear from you,

G.

[ Edited by: Tiki G. 2005-12-07 05:17 ]

M

Yo! What is Hukilau? Where,when? In Florida?

I think then the TC clock is based on West coast time considering 0800 EST was your post.

You'll never get lost in the weeds sir!

You and the Wahine are very busy then (2 jobs) I figured you were slackin due to the fine moist heat were havin.

We are still bust'n @ss on our backyard trying to blow out all the nearbye huts and bars. Til that is complete, I won't carve. Doing the waterfall/pond thingy right now. I should have some decent pics soon of the progress, but, wrecked my back and had to slow down some ( 40's are supposed to be your prime right?).

McTiki

TG

Whats's the Hukilau!!!!!!!????? Oh man if you missed out on this you would definitely be a slacker. Come on dude you gotta go. It'll be fun......See link below, or go to the website http://www.thehukilau.com

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=13444&forum=4&175

Oh man your right it has been hot as hell up here. Feel like I am about to fall out at times.....

M

WE are going there. Bringing a longboard just in case.

TG

I'll be there all weekend. My girlfriend and I are staying at the the Bahia Mar where all the festivities will be taking place....longboard in hand. Maybe we'll get lucky and catch us a swell.

G.

T

Luv it. Looks great! Man you work, you carve, when do you get to surf?

Glad to see you posting some new pics . I was starting to miss your kick ass updates . And that car...Lets just say I have a severe case of hotrod envy!!

Hey Gary, I was just getting ready to bump up your old post to see what's happenin'! Lots of great new tikis, and it looks like your style is evolving a bit. Have you done any new Marqs?

Aaron

B

Nice colors G and the tikis aren't bad either. They are very clean and crisp looking. Verry Nice

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 370 replies