Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Rodeo's stuff. new update 27nov

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 329 replies

This guy has been taking up space since may of last year and he is finally done.I have done several other carvings and just kinda worked on this when I felt like it.

He is going to be auctioned off for a charity event to benifit my sons school. I will be kinda sad to see him go as I have grown used to him hiding in some corner here or there.

Thanks for looking.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

[ Edited by: rodeotiki 2006-09-07 09:39 ]

[ Edited by: rodeotiki 2006-11-27 09:23 ]

He's Gorgeous!
Make sure he gets a good home. I remember when my last baby left home...sniff.
Beautiful work.

M
Moki posted on Fri, Jan 20, 2006 10:29 PM

Cool tiki and great shot! Love the lighting and the snow.

As much as I've been complaining about how cold it's been in San Diego this year, at least we don't have snow!! But it sure is pretty to see :lol:

Hope you get lots of funds for your son's school.

B

Nice one Rodeo, what kind of wood is that? It has a very nice grain, was it very hard to carve?

H

Nice one rodeo! That photo looks really cool. I would love to see some more detail shots on that one. Time to start another hey?

J

He looks great. I was wondering when you were going to post something. I'm with Hewey, let's see some more pictures. It's good to see another northerner post a carving. Hope you do well in the auction.
JP

L
Loki posted on Sat, Jan 21, 2006 4:32 AM

Yep! He is a real winner. Lots of $$$

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jan 21, 2006 5:36 AM

Rodeo,

That one was one of my favorites that I had seen you post. It has been in the works for a while? Too bad it won't be staying with you, but it's good that it will go for a good cause. I would like to see some more pictures before he leaves home. It is very nice indeed.

Seeing the snow makes me shudder! It's going to be 80 here today. Makes for sweaty boar hunting :) Thanks for posting this one.

Bring on the tiki in flames!

-Gman

yes Rodeo....please more pics before he heads off. really like the flow of the
hands.....the grain is beautiful.....get back to work!

That design, and that grain work perfectly together. Nice work.

Hey Rodeo-
You did a great job!! I too love the grain and the overall look of that guy!! You seem to just keep getting better and better!!! Keep it Up!!!
Later,
Spermy

Nice job! For some reason I'm really drawn to the nose, maybe because of its primative appearance.

KK

Aloha Cuz!
You nailed it brah! He's pono fo'shua! The grain and color is beautiful! But tell me, is that real kine snow in the background of da photo? Looks "Too" real, like some kine movie set or something! BRRRR...Its look cold there brah but Im sure the mana from this ki'i is smokin' hot!

Good work, Hana Hou Bruddah!

Malama Pono!

Thanks everyone.

Ben this guy is another cedar log that I had from the pole farm. Its full of tool marks and a few rough spots but I like it like that.

Kaha ki'i , the snow is real , real cold too. I went and got a heater from lee valley tools for the garage so now its a comfortable 40F to work in.

I have to admit that theres is something about this carving I cant figure out. A kinda feeling that I get knowing where he is going.

Here are 2 more pics

Mahalo for looking.

[ Edited by: rodeotiki 2006-01-21 10:27 ]

He's gorgeous. Like I told you yesterday, I love the balance of him, and those nice deep cuts. Even the cracks in the wood sit on him just right. And the grain... oh la la!

I hope he does great at auction!

B
Bete posted on Sat, Jan 21, 2006 12:28 PM

Cool that it's made of cedar. Cool looking tiki. So cool you are donating it for a charity auction. Someone will be very lucky to win that.

Rodeo he's so great, I especially love his forehead & head dress, his interlocked hands and his belly.
I can't wait to see what you do next!

A
Alldo posted on Sat, Jan 21, 2006 4:31 PM

He looks like an ancient tiki from deep within the tropical jungle. I love the deep cuts and color. More more more.
-Alldo

I love the grain & dark patina, did you burn him lots? He looks like he's been touched & rubbed by thousands of passing Tiki bar patrons for luck.

Rodeo, love to see your new stuff! Seems like we both started out like gangbusters right around the same time, but slowed down a bit lately. I like the witco-like dark grain. It must feel good knowing it went to a good cause. Good Karma for your next carve! Keep it up, my friend!

A-A

Mahalo again for the kind words

Yup , he got the torch and a good scrubbin with a wire brush. I really dont have any clue as to getting a proper finish but it seems to work okay.

Looks great Rodeo. They just keep getting better! I love how this one looks from behind too. Wait...that sounded pervy...

Rodeo! this one is great! I love that first picture you posted- the contrast of jungle/polynesia and snow is outrageous. Best one yet, definately worth the wait.

MD

Rodeo........(always loved your T.C. name)
We should have a midwest tiki event called the tiki rodeo.
Cowboy hats, hawaiian shirts, tiki and hot rods....It'd be cool.
But I'm sidetracking....I love this tiki. Pictures in the snow are the best. Ya got kids don't ya? Its tough to balance out family, jobs, art, cars and kids aint it? Ya wanna carve but ya still want to be great dad. Try telling them that youd rather carve than play, just doesn't work.

You seem to have a nice balance of it. Your art is awesome.

Its nice you can carve in the garage. I don't like the sawdust all over my engines, parts and car. So I carve out in the carport off the garage. Last time I roughed out my Moai it was 15 degrees. Those tropics carvers just don't know what they are missing.

Stain sure takes a long time to dry though doesn't it. Spar takes FOREVER.

Awesome tiki rodeo.....just talks to ya.

That's a fine piece of tiki there, rodeo. He has lots of personality too with a vintage feel to him.

Rodeo another carving comes out great cant wait to see more

Mr Dale , your so right about finding the balance between play time and time to carve. My wife and kids are cool and I can get some time in during the day when the minions are at school. I wish I had engines to worry about getting dusty ( I hate my minivan)

Thanks Sam and Marcus , very appreciated from such talented artist such as your selves.

Heres a shot of some progress on the surftiki I started awhile ago. Some final sanding and its ready for stain. I took the torch to him today.
I am planning on staining the tiki dark and the board with just varnish. I did try something different and masked off a simple flame pattern and will add a thin colored stripe down the middle later..

Thanks for looking and feedback is always welcomed

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

[ Edited by: rodeotiki 2006-01-28 14:47 ]

AA , we did start out about the same time . How did you get so good ?
Thanks for the comps.

J

I don't think you are the slowest carver, but you are a great carver. I like the surf look ( I live in the wrong state, but have the right state of mind). Nice torch work, I kept trying to figure out what kind of wood it was, then I read what you wrote.
What's the weather like up there today?
JP

whaddayamean slow...you just posted the beautiful auction tiki 8 days ago....and now
we get another nice one....great work and it seems like you are on a pretty quick pace....

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jan 28, 2006 3:15 PM

Rodeo,

That looks sharp! I cant wait to see how the torch and the stain come together on the finish. I was waiting to see pics of that one. I'm liking it a lot. You need to do the line down the center of the board like Marcus did.....

-Gman

Rodeo-
I freakin love this guy!!! I love that you mixed surf with tiki!!! Are you going to give this guy the classic Rodeo Tiki stain?? BTW can or have you made a thread on how you burn/stain your tiki's?? Some of us Sperm Whales would love a step by step of this process!!! Thanks for posting pic's!!!
Later,
Spermy

He's looking even better than when I last saw him!
And I didn't think that was possible!

Can't wait to see him all varnished up in those different colours, sweeeet!!
He's got all sorts of attitude, love it!

KK

Hey brah!
Absolutely one of the coolest ive seen yet bruddah! Love it! Post more progress pics cuz!

Keep up the good work!

Malama Pono!

H
hewey posted on Sat, Jan 28, 2006 4:36 PM

Awesome surfer rodeo! I love the style and the board and the flames...

Keep carvin!

nice stuff. enought said. Carve on.

Like that tiki! Very Witco in the finish department with the big, crazy grain..

I'm liking that design and the 2-tone, rodeo. These are just improving it seems.... Keep up the very fine work!

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2006-01-29 16:13 ]

B
Bete posted on Sun, Jan 29, 2006 4:20 PM

Rodeotiki, you are a very talented wood carving artist, great tikis.

MD

Hang ten and hope the water aint cold...got tiki babes to impress.....

Too Cool.

In a dream last night surf tiki came to me and he was very pissed. It turns out he had no knees and no toes , therefore no toes on the nose.

So with some spare time I re-worked his legs and added some space between them and the board. Toes are slowly coming and more detail to his hands.

Thanks again.

I dont post my carving pictures to say " hey look at me"
I post because i am inspired by the amazing artist here and want to share what you guys inspire me to do.
Mahalo.

He's looking so great Rodeo.
Thanks for posting the pictures, I love to see your progress shots.

Surf Tiki kicks ass!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jan 30, 2006 4:27 PM

Rodeo,

Everyone knows you need to have toes to hang 'em off the nose! Glad to see your surfing tiki has a full set and can hang however many he wants. Good stuff. We know you don't want us to look at you, but we wanna see what you're doing with the tikis up there!!! Please continue to keep us up to date.

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-01-30 16:50 ]

Rodeo-
I really like this piece. It will look great when completed.
ray

J

I'm glad you are posting progress shots. I like to see them. I enjoy seeing how different people approach releasing the tiki from within the log. I've spent many hours pouring over the amazing photos on this site and it gets me charged up to grab a log and try something different or attempt a different approach that somebody else took.

Thank you
JP

PS Besides its great to see somebody carve where it actually snows.

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2006-01-30 17:14 ]

T

I thought that it looked good without toes but if he is going to call you from your dream, do what he says. The toes are coming out nice and does not look like an afterthought. Chance for more detail, cool

More detail = more tiki. Going back a few pages here, the flames are definitely bad-ass. I'm thinking this will be your finest piece so far when all is said & done.

B

Rodeo, this one is Really looking good.You are getting some good boody movement and structure. We gotts ta see more. Not you, the caring. Bring it to the next SoFloTikiJam. That would be So Cool.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 329 replies