Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Rodeo's stuff. new update 27nov

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 329 replies

H
hewey posted on Tue, Apr 4, 2006 9:11 PM

On 2006-04-04 11:16, rodeotiki wrote:
I am thinking about adding some pinstripes to the back and front of the board.

Cool! Or maybe some flames?

Looks great man!

B

Excellent finish job on an Excellent carving Rodeo. Whats Next??

You're getting really good! I like this guy.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Apr 11, 2006 7:00 PM

I agree, he's beautiful Rodeo. Awesome work. Thanks for posting. How is the flame guy working out for you? Is it spring yet? It's summer here.

-Gman

Very original style and piece, way hep.

ST

Surftiki is looking fine, rodeo. It reminds me a little like it would be in the Monkee's house, as I watched an episode not long ago on video, and there was a tiki in their beachhouse. Yours has that cool '60s vibe to it.

Rodeo,

What's up man? I am loving your new tikis they are super imaginative and different. Is the surf tiki made out of red cedar, it looks like the heart wood is a different color than the sap wood. Reading your posts, you mention that you are a Mt Biker. Mountain Biking rules! You have to let me know if you ever make it down here to S.C., I'll take you on an epic bike adventure. Just checking my personal messages I noticed that you sent me one sometime back. Sorry, I didn't respond earlier I guess that I should check my messages more often.

Please keep some more tikis coming from the great white north.

Will

Here are some better shots , still need to add the pinstriping.

Thanks again for the compliments , I respect the talent on here and to get feedback from you guys makes me want to learn more and become better...

Pinstriping too? Man this guy already looks cool! the pinstriping is just going to be cooler!
the dual staining looks great ont his guy as well

You better keep an eye on this one, it looks as though he may bolt for the beach at any moment

was this one a commission?

nice work Rodeo....good to have some more pics.....you getting good carving weather up there?
Should look very cool with the pinstripes.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Apr 23, 2006 6:16 AM

Wow! Yes indeedee! He looks even better outside. Without the flash glare we can really see how much work you put into this guy. Very impressive. I like the idea of putting the stringers on the board, that will really set the piece off. Way to go and thanks for posting another set of pics. It looks great.

-Gman

Hey Rodeo I dig that surf'n tiki.
I really like the two tone look and the tiki has a nice old look to him and thats a good thing.
Keep up the cool carving.

J

He looks better in the sun, as most things to do with surfing. He's got some old skool personality.

JP

B

I agree, the sun lets him show off his great detail not seen before. Super nice job on this guy Rodeo.

Aloha everyone.

Will, I am not sure if its red cedar, I used stain on the body and just poly on the board for this one. Thanks for the advice on getting a carving bar. I will get one soon.

Polynesiac, No commissions here. Just carving for fun.

Conga , it snowed here on Saturday. But the weather is getting better.

Gman,Swampfire,JohhnyP and Master Benzart thanks for the kind words.

Fire head is starting to take shape, I tried to cut in deep to make the features stand out. I am now sanding and trying to clean up all the edges of the flames. Still have to add some teeth and whatever else comes to mind. I am sure it will tell me when its done.

B
Bete posted on Mon, Apr 24, 2006 1:23 PM

That is SO COOL looking!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Apr 24, 2006 4:03 PM

Cool man! Love the surf tiki and the flame tiki. WHats your plan as far as colour for the flame tiki? I think leave him in a light stain, but give the flames some blended accents which blend into the natural wood colour.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Apr 24, 2006 4:20 PM

WOW! That Rocks!

He is looking mighty fine, rodeotiki. Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

I really like surftiki as well.

verrrrrrrrrrrrry verrrrrry nice Rodeo.....how you gonna do the flames....will the fire be
painted? This is gonna be a great one no matter what you do.....cool.

Hell ya rodeo.... upping the bar again!

Nice work!

Your work is Beautiful Dude the Eye ball wings rock . .

L
Loki posted on Tue, Apr 25, 2006 5:08 AM

Rodeo,
Yesssir Reeee. I really dig this guy. Your style is coming through full on. As always looking forward to seeing how this one finishes. By the way, what tools did you use to get into the flames?

Rodeo,

Bomber job using the sapwood and the heartwood to create a three dimensional affect. Your tikis seem to be kind of Hotrod Style. Is that what you are into?
Killer Job.

Will

J

The way you did the flames is outstanding. The two tone sap and the deep but even cut outs is tremendous.
JP

Sweeet, no wonder it's sold already!

I can't wait to see it all varnished up an ready to go.

Excellent job!

MD

Rodeo that is friggin' cool! Very, very nice. The depth is perfect!

Rodeo, that tiki is unlike anything I've seen. Super artistic work, my friend - way stylin'!

A-A

Killer flames

I am of the opinion that you could put flames or pin stripes on about anything and it would look cool.

You did a great job on these flames, can't wait to see it all finished up.

DUDE! that's what I'm talking about when I say "flames n' shit"!!!! that tiki is over the top!

I say accentuate the flames with color - but blend it with the stain so it's not too bright

This one's gonna be killer!

POLYNESIAC - putting the 'F' back in ART

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2006-04-26 14:07 ]

8T

Hey Rodeo, you got a winner there fo sho! The last tiki I saw amid that many flames was Silverlines Tang mask in the campfire at Coontiki! SMOKIN'!!!

Damn, you are jumping from one plateau to the next. Very nice this one is.

R

So I am almost ready for stain. I wanted the features of this carving to pop a bit and show off more. So instead of trying to use 2 colors of stain this is what I did

Using my torch I burnt the hell out of the lower features and then sanded them with fine sand paper. I am hoping that when I stain the carving with a Sedona red that they stay darker.

I have some BIG ideas in my head for some new carvings , just need to find the time.

Mahalo for checking them out. Feedback is always appreciated.

This looks great Rodeo. You oughtta be proud!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, May 3, 2006 4:52 AM

Dang Rodeo - dem's some HUGE logs. Whattacha up to?

The flame guy is looking fierce. I hope the staining goes as planned...

-Gman

R

After almost cutting the tip of my pinkie off with the hook knife I decided to try again. This time something much simpler in design. Decided to make a business card holder, So I cut out the rough shape with jig saw and then adding a little bit of detail. Still getting the feel for the knife. Maybe try a pendant next time.

Flame tiki is out on deck drying and will be getting some poly later today.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

[ Edited by: rodeotiki 2006-05-03 13:20 ]

H
Helz posted on Wed, May 3, 2006 1:23 PM

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT! The business card holder ROCKS!

The flame guy is also amazing, the two-toneing just really brought him to life.

Excelent work!

R

Well the stain didn't quite turn out how I had thought it would. I am now thinking that maybe I should have just used a neutral colored sealer or even just varnish. But I did want it to have some color and I thats what I got. Anyways , Here is the almost finished carving with the first few coats of poly on.

I am happy with the way it turned out and hope the new owner will like it also.

C&C welcomed and appreciated.

B
Bete posted on Wed, May 3, 2006 3:43 PM

It looks very cool, nice job!

it looks great! the grain really makes the flames look cool

Seriously... rodeo... that grain is off the charts!

Nice piece man. Go get yourself a drink! :drink:

H
hewey posted on Thu, May 4, 2006 12:07 AM

Carving looks cool - maybe go darker with the background colour? Like real dark to accentuate the flames more? I don't feel the lacquer you got happening now does justice to your carving skills - ain't that a backhanded compliment? :)

Love the business card holder too - very cool.

J

That came out great. I think you started a whole new style or segment.
JP

B

WOW Rodeo, that grain gives the Flame Real Sizzle. Nice job, even though you didn't plan it that way. The Tiki is great too.

H

Rodeo.....you are so happening, I love this piece. Next time you come out here, you are bringing one with you. I will pay for the tickets for both of you. :)

Rodeo,

Be careful the tires on those bikes don't melt. That is one hot tiki.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 329 replies