Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Rodeo's stuff. new update 27nov

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 329 replies

R

Mahalo for the comps guys , they keep me going.

Got a case of carvers A.D.D yesterday and started something new instead of finishing everything else.

Rough sketch

started to rough out with chainsaw

More to come .....

MD

Right on!!!!! A true hot rod icon......the flying eyeball and all the history behind it.
Its amazing how an image can reflect a whole 'nother part of the society and people. Just like a tiki from some tiny island.
I never quite understood why tiki and hot rods felt so good together...but they always have......maybe its a nostalgic thing..I don't know. What ya think Rodeo?
Ya do pinstriping? I just bought my first brush.
Tikis and cars and surf and girls.
"Damnit...my greasy hands are staining my Tikis!!!!"

This just brought a smile to my long-ass-day-of-work-tired-as-heck-face,

A

Rodeo, nice work!!!
Can't wait to see it all painted up.
I've always liked Von Dutch. Some may Argue the flying eyeball was not his design.

It's funny when I see people wearing a Von Dutch Baseball cap or an Ed don Hardy cap and they know nothing of the artist, only that it's fashionable. Hey at least the art is being seen.

C

it looks like this could be a tough one RT...but it probably won't be all that difficult
for you...will be anxious to see the progress.

A
Alldo posted on Thu, Feb 2, 2006 9:10 PM

I can't wait for this one. Keep us posted I think it will look awesome!

-Alldo

K
kirby posted on Thu, Feb 2, 2006 9:13 PM

right on rodeo, cant wait to see the progress...

H
hewey posted on Thu, Feb 2, 2006 10:24 PM

Awesome eyeball rodeo! Thats gonna look killa when it happens. Very cool

R

Thanks Guys , A little tribute to the man and not the clothing line..
Glad I made ya smile Raff

Here is a shot of some progress , Got lots of sanding still to do.
I have been toying with the idea between paint and stain, I am leaning towards using stain and just add some blue and black for the center of the eye.
Any opinions ?

L
Loki posted on Fri, Feb 3, 2006 9:20 AM

RT.
My opinion. Very cool. I am officially taking over your status as worlds slowest carver. You are busting this one out. My initial gut is to paint it, but your the artist and the piece will let you know what it wants...keep it up.

B

Cool one Rodeo, I guess I have to keep my eye on you. You should carve this as the headdress of your next tiki. You may be on to something. Nice one.

J

How did the auction go on the guy on page one?

JP

Thanks for asking JohnnyP , The auction isnt till the 5 of march. I delivered him to the school, wich was kinda sad for me. I will post pics I get from the event and the amount he went for when its done.

H
Helz posted on Fri, Feb 17, 2006 7:35 PM

Rodeo,

Just a thought on the whole paint thing. I know that my dad used pickling on the tiki bob he did to make the face white but still leave the woodgrain. Just something to consider.

But it's great. Absolutely fabulous.

V

Rodeo,your tikis look awesome! I love the guy with the surfboard.Nice Work!

Well , charity tiki went to some lucky person for $360 at the silent auction. I am still waiting for the new owner to email a picture of him in his new home.

H

Cool! Way to go rodeo! Hows the Von Dutch piece coming?

J

That is great news. It's nice to be able to do something you like, and then have it go to a good cause.
JP

Well I finally got back into the garage and did a bit of carving. The Von Dutch piece wasn't working the way I wanted so I have started to sand all the paint off and will change a few things before painting again.

In the mean time i have this 4 foot long half round piece that I am hacking on....

Comments and critiques always welcome...

P

wow, here's my reply. that looks awesome so far. i don't think you can finish the rest, though. send me that log and i'll detail it out for you.

heheheee, that beautiful. he looks happy and like he's trying to break free. keep him going.

Oooo nice, I like the flames

MD

Yeah baby....flames.......burn baby burn!!!!!!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Mar 29, 2006 4:35 PM

Yeah Rodeo! That's hot! I can't wait to see more!

-Gman

Cool! um...I mean HOT!!!!

J

Smokin' That fits the hot rod theme.
JP

Okay, well... damn! That is gonna be somethin' else!

Nice start rodeo... the flames look like they will take a soft touch...

Look forward to seeing it progress :)

Arrrrrrr!!!?

Arrrrr-some!

H
hewey posted on Thu, Mar 30, 2006 6:03 PM

Cool flames Rodeo! Hot tiki!

ooh. Hot. Literally.

Thanks everyone. Did a little bit of carving today , Man am I sore from mountain biking on Wednesday. My arms feel like their full of lead.

Any ways , heres what I got done:

T

he's coming along nicely! i love the flames, it looks really cool. i can't wait to see it finished!

[ Edited by: tiki5-0 2006-03-31 14:07 ]

NICE TIKI! Looks like he want to have wheels, keep it up!

ST

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Apr 2, 2006 6:32 AM

Rodeo,

Man that looks great! I bet those flames are tough to do. Has the wood grain given you any trouble around the flame edges? I imagine it would want to pull out on you across the edges. Keep going man! We want to see lots more! Maybe another update tonight?

Are we gonna see a color stain job?

-Gman

R

Thanks Guys

Gman , the grain does sometime cause trouble , I draw the flames out a little thicker than needed anticipating that I will lose some of the material when they are carved out.

Here is todays progress report... I am still slow!!!

I was torn about paint vs stain on this project. Because I love to see the grain of a carving. So the first attempt the paint covered really well and no grain was visible.I sanded it off and here is where its at. Now the darker red that is deeper in the wing is showing more than the rest of the wing, but after applying a little more paint to the middle it has evened out nice.

I have started to paint the middle and the veins , should be done soon .

Mahalo for looking.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Apr 3, 2006 12:00 AM

Looking cool man! Can't wait to see this one complete. Maybe some pinstriping on the back of the eyeball?

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 05:08:02 ]

L
Loki posted on Mon, Apr 3, 2006 9:05 AM

RT,
They both look great. You are going nice and deep on the flames, I like. Like GMAN said, thats got to be tough going....I started digging out some old hot rod pics I've taken over the years at the Turkey Rod run in Daytona every November. I'll throw you a couple Rat Finks for inspiration. Looking forward to seeing how they turn out. With you, they be kick ass for sure.

Hewey, Loki thanks for the compliments. Pops thank you , means alot coming from a hotrodder like yourself.

Here it is almost done. Turned out pretty good considering my lack of painting skills. It just needs a couple of coats of poly and then I need to find somewhere to hang it.

[ Edited by: rodeotiki 2006-04-03 11:59 ]

H
hewey posted on Mon, Apr 3, 2006 2:28 PM

Looks very cool rodeo! Hang it over the front door!

T

The eye turned out great Rodeo!!! I vote for over the Garage, you know how the neighbors love sharing in your hobby... and as an added bonus since none of them probably know who Von Dutch is they will think it's another one of your weird creepy Tiki items!!!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Apr 3, 2006 4:47 PM

Very sweet Rodeo! I likes it. Nor bad for a cat who can't paint :)

-Gman

H
Helz posted on Tue, Apr 4, 2006 8:58 AM

RT, This is without a doubt the COOLEST THING EVER! It came out really well, and your coloring really brought it to life (excelent work on the veins). I'm hoping that we get to see a pic of it hanging. And I'm also in agreement that it should go over the garage door. It's good to stir up the neighbors every now and again.

Above the garage it shall be.

Here is surftiki almost done , I am thinking about adding some pinstripes to the back and front of the board.

Sorry about the bad photos , will get better ones outside later.

He almost looks like Duke Kahanamoku broght back to life as a Tiki god.
Great job Rodeo!

He looks awesome Rodeo, I've always liked this guy, since inception.
What's your asking price for him? Or does he already have a home?

J

That is one to be proud of. It would be a great addition to any bar.
JP

K
kirby posted on Tue, Apr 4, 2006 1:42 PM

Ive been waitin for that guy to be finished up... Looks great.....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 329 replies