Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Rodeo's stuff. new update 27nov

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 329 replies

Just started yesterday. I am trying to carve at least 2 hours everyday. I am going to take a shot at vending at a tattoo and kulture show in sept. So I need to get my skills improved and stock up.

Mahalo for looking.

L
Loki posted on Wed, May 17, 2006 11:38 AM

Congrats RT...your work has really takend a major step up. Wish I could get in two hours a day. Good for you and best of luck with the vending. Keep us informed.

Rodeo this new carving is looking awesome.
Loki's right, your stuff is getting better and better.
I can't believe how much you've done since yesterday when it was just a log!

Nice work rodeo!I think your stuff would do well at an event. Keep up the great work and good luck!

Great start on the new one, only started yesterday? You're gettin' fast, bro! I dig the little skull he's holding.

I had missed the pic of the flame tiki all finished up and I have to say that tiki is one of the coolest I've seen! The stain actually ADDS to the flame - see how it brings out the grain around the flames? It makes it look ALIVE. Totally awesome! I'm glad you chose not to paint it red, I think that would have destroyed the beautiful grain patterns in the wood. I bet the new owner is very pleased! good luck with prepping for vending! keep us posted on what ya do!

Good effort Rodeo....I also like the skull...loooks coool....see....it's a good thing you didn't
ditch the tools....

Conga , I could never ditch my tools. Thanks for the props guys. The skull started out as a smaller tiki but I cut a little to much and bam, half of it was gone. So I walked away for a bit , read tikimagazine and saw Crazy Als tiki from the Lucky tiki. Went back out and redid it.
More updates tomorrow.

T

It's the wood - it's beautiful!

B

Way to go Rodeo, this guy is looking quite excellent for just a few hours.If you follow through with what you have started here, this could be one of your best yet. keep the fires burning and the pic'c coming.

J

Good luck on your vending. Tikis with your style and quality will sell. Keep us posted while you build your inventory.
JP

Did a little more today , mostly sanding. Here are a few pics for your viewing pleasure.

And a few of the shop that I am working with now..

Hoping for stain and a new carving started by sunday.

H
hewey posted on Fri, May 19, 2006 7:31 AM

Cool skull man!

Congrats on getting into that shop :)

Good luck with the kustom/tatt stall too :)

H
Helz posted on Fri, May 19, 2006 7:52 AM

Looking great Rodeo! Love the new guy. The detail around the mouth is fantastic!

J

I love seeing pictures of northern tiki carver's tikis for sale in stores. Keep it going and they look great sitting there.
JP

Nice work mate, your stuff gets better and better.

B

Way to go Rodeo. I'm with Marcus in your carvings are still getting better and better. keep'em coming

Thank you very much for the kind words they are a bright spot on the dark days. I have been dealing a lot as of late and haven't been carving much. Things are getting on the right track and hopefully will be full steam ahead soon.

Small update from todays first time back in the garage in weeks...

L
Loki posted on Wed, May 31, 2006 9:53 AM

It's a beaut. We missed you round these parts. Hope everything is better, and as always its good to get my Rodeo fill.

Rodeo,

Welcome back. Did you get a carving bar yet? Your latest tiki looks like you might of used one. I love the way the tikis hands are holding the skull.

Be Safe,
Will

G
GMAN posted on Wed, May 31, 2006 2:59 PM

Nice work Rodeo. Glad to see you working again. Hope to see some more progress soon.

-Gman

I've missed you on shout RT!
The most recent tiki is looking fab, love those progress shots!

great work as usual Rodeo....nice to have you back. Your carvings always have some unique
elements that set them apart....I dig the nose and skull on this one. Keep going....carving
always seems to make tough days better....at least for me.

Hey rodeo- your stuff has improved greatly! Cool store store that your stuff is in too. Keep up the fine work!

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2006-05-31 23:21 ]

Loving this last dude. It looks great! NIce work Rodeo.

H

Looking good man - nice details on it

Great to see you back in action too :)

B

Excellent details Mr Rodeo and I see you are getting that dreaded sanding down very well. YES!

R

Thanks everyone, This skull tiki guy has lots of Tc influence, some by Crazy Al and Swampfire, some from the picture on the cover of tiki style.
I recieved a book that i ordered today called "COLLECTIKIBLE" by Mr G. There is a painting he did of a flaming tiki pinstripe brush. So I was inspired to carve my own version.

Here is where its at so far...

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

[ Edited by: rodeotiki 2006-06-01 16:50 ]

I had the opportunity to see some of Rodeo's fine Tikis on Saturday at cool Hot-Rod event. Pictures never seem to do an artist's work justice. His tikis are very cool! His carvings were definitely turning some heads and introducing some to the world of TIKI!

-Slacks

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret 2006-06-05 18:37 ]

B

More excellent stuff Mr Rodeo. I like this new one. He looks like a thinned down stretched out Homer Simpson with a beard, so give him a can of Duff beer, he looks thirsty.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jun 5, 2006 8:16 PM

Looking cool man. Great idea for a carving

R

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Slacks , so glad that you stopped the show and brought a print. Wow its amazing in person.

I had a lot of fun at my first public tiki display. I did a little carving but mostly drank red bull and listend to some great bands. Met lots of cool people and was blewn away by the feedback on my carvings. I did pick up 2 new commisions wich I am looking forward to doing.

Heres a couple of pics of where I was set up.

J

Congradulations. It is no surprize you received a lot of positive comments. The kids look great lined up for the photo. The black and white really gives it a retro look.
JP

Congrats on your first public display, were you wearing a trench coat? Har, Har! :)

seriously, there's nothing like showing off your fine work and getting postive feedback (and commisions!) to keep you pumped. Nice job and I'm glad you had fun.

Excuse me while I drool on that lincoln...is that your continental?

TD

good job on those carvings. they look pretty pro right there. and i also must comment on the car-very nice. keep the work comming.

On 2006-06-06 13:53, Polynesiac wrote:
Excuse me while I drool on that Lincoln...is that your continental?

Sadly the Lincoln is not mine. Its the owner of the shops. I was amazed at how much stuff we put in the trunk.

Today I went by the store and there was a envelope waiting for me. It contained some photos taken by a photographer, I didn't even see him take my picture. The note said he played with the pics on the computer. I thought it was cool that he sent me some copies.

Got some new stuff in the works. Updates to follow soon.

[ Edited by: rodeotiki 2006-06-13 23:07 ]

H

Awesome Rodeo! That looks like a kool setup, and hanging with a shop makes a lot of sense when you're just getting into it too.

Congrats on the new wor too :)

Nice stuff, Rodeo! Congratulations on the commissions. Pretty soon you'll be wearing a straw hat.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Jun 14, 2006 3:33 PM

Way to go Rodeo! Good deal on the commissions; what all did they order? Nice spread you had there. Congrats!

-Gman

B

Way to Go Rodeo and congrats on the commissions. Earlier I was gonna say what a Cool old Lincoln but then I see it is'nt yours but it is still cool, but not as cool as your carvings there.. Don't stop now.

MD

Very cool Rodeo! Thank the idols that one of us with kids is still at it.
Great work.

Finally done another one. This time went with a lighter more natural stain and no varnish. Some white wash on the skull.

Thanks for all the feedback.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jun 26, 2006 1:34 PM

Choice!

Another fine effort Rodeo....I really dig the mouth and the skull. Cool design....finally
catching up on several posts and seeing some great stuff....keep em coming!

Outrageous! Nice choppers!

H

Nice piece Rodeo, real nice.

B

Finally.. Excellent work Rodeo, Love the skull. Lucky customerz??

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jun 28, 2006 4:51 AM

Woohoo! Go Rodeo!

wow man. that is looking REAL good. i love the skull part and the mouth on the tiki. very cool.
keep them comming

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 329 replies