Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

KAHIKI Columbus, ohio tiki bar restaurant. Lee Henry, The catalog

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 688 replies

Here is another candle holder from Hoffman that sold on ebay. Was it used at the Kahiki??

Also found this old picture of the dinning booths online.

DC

WOW!!

Never seen those before!!

T

Yeah never seen those befor.
Let us know what they go for.

LT

They got their asking price - $1200.

Thought I would add the Kahiki postcard collection.

The drinks and food.

The building.

Saw this old postcard rendering on ebay recently, first time I had seen this one that was not a reproduction.

The mystery bowl ladies.

The end.

DC

Edited to add a few more postcards shown in the thread from Skip and Trav. I think that's all of the Kahiki postcards?

[ Edited by: Dustycajun 2010-08-11 16:14 ]

This line up of postcards is a good occasion to point out again the unusual fact of how close the finished building came to the original rendering (which I had never seen in color before!):

Architectural renderings usually embellish the scale and perspective of a planned building, and the final result, the actual building, is not as fanciful most times--that's why we love them! But here the building turned out as humongous as the artist had imagined it in the rendering. The angle and size are so similar, one would almost be tempted to think the painting was done FROM the postcard photo, but the difference in the sign and other details supports my belief that the painting is a pre-build artist's conception, executed by the architect's office for the client. Wonder who has the original...

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-08-14 00:09 ]

I wanted to ad this piece that recently sold on e-bay to this encyclopedic thread:

At first look a not unusual plaster Moai, like they existed in many forms as decor items in the 60s. But the inscription in the Kahiki logo font, and most of all the signature "HITIKI" make this an authentic Kahiki souvenir item that once must have been sold at the Kahiki's Beachcomber gift shop.

HITIKI is the signature of artist Jack Hite, who carved all of the cool modernist Tikis (many of them Moai) in and outside of the Kahiki. This baby is obviously a miniature version of the flaming topknot entrance Moais, and as such truly an original, iconic symbol of the Kahiki.

I had never seen this piece before, and hope someone like Jeff or Skip with an enduring love for the Kahiki has won it, my apologies for bidding it up.

T

I don't hunt for tiki on ebay any more really.
Every time I would see some thing I would want
the price was too high for my pockets.

That is cool though!
What did it go for?
Any more with Kahiki items that are rare on ebay there are the
same three people who wind up with it most of the time.

Jeff and I are out of that loop.

Thanks for posting it!

I just scored the Kahiki dinner and drink menu set, cool!

One of my all-time favorite drink menus. Surprised these have not been posted here yet.

DC

K
kq4ym posted on Sat, Aug 28, 2010 6:15 AM

The marimba photo and the Kahiki Beachcomber Trio pictures bring back fond memories as I played marimba and timbales with Marsh Padilla and guitarist Leroy Plymale at the Kahiki in 1968-1969. The marimba Jeff got from Marsh belonged to me until I sold it to Marsh about 1970. It was way too large to fit in the piano bar at the Kahiki where we played so I used a standard size marimba at the restaurant.

The photo of the trio here is of Marsh Padilla on electric bass at left, in the back is vibraphonist John Dragu (Dragoo?), and at right guitarist Don Hales, who was the teacher of Leroy Plymale who joined the band in 1966.

-Don Browne
LaBelle, Florida

K
kq4ym posted on Sat, Aug 28, 2010 6:22 AM

On 2009-07-19 19:01, Jeff Central wrote:
Cool, thanks for the tip Joe.

Here's an early picture of the Beachcomber Trio at the Kahiki.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

The photo appears to be the band about 1965 with Marsh Padilla at left on bass guitar, vibraphonist John Dragu in rear, and Don Hales at right. I played marimba and timbales at the Kahiki in 1968-1969 with March and guitarist Leroy Plymale.

-Don Browne
LaBelle, Florida

[ Edited by: kq4ym 2010-08-28 06:23 ]

K
kq4ym posted on Sat, Aug 28, 2010 6:31 AM

I played the marimba with Marsh Padilla and guitarist Leroy Plymale at the Kahiki in 1968-1969. The marimba (pictured above with Jeff) Jeff bought from Marsh was owned by me back in 1968-1970 and I sold it to Marsh when I moved from Ohio to Florida. The marimba was to large to fit in the piano bar at the Kahiki so I had a normal sized marimba at the restaurant.

The Beachcomber Trio played from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. Monday through Saturday and we got free dinners while working there. We were all Musician's Union members and so the job payed very well for 30 hours work a week, and was great fun too!

-Don Browne
LaBelle, Fl
http://swflorida.blogspot.com

[ Edited by: kq4ym 2010-08-28 06:32 ]

K
kq4ym posted on Sat, Aug 28, 2010 6:34 AM

On 2009-07-18 20:16, tikiskip wrote:
A marimba and two conga drums.
Jeff now owns a MARIMBA!
Man the thing is so sweet!!!

The last picture is a bag from the gift shop I would guess.

I played the marimba with Marsh Padilla and guitarist Leroy Plymale at the Kahiki in 1968-1969. The marimba (pictured above with Jeff) Jeff bought from Marsh was owned by me back in 1968-1970 and I sold it to Marsh when I moved from Ohio to Florida. The marimba was to large to fit in the piano bar at the Kahiki so I had a normal sized marimba at the restaurant.

The Beachcomber Trio played from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. Monday through Saturday and we got free dinners while working there. As I recall we played for 45 minutes and then had a 30 minute break. I was a student at OSU and later a teacher at New Albany High School while I played at the Kahiki at night. We were all Musician's Union members and so the job payed very well for 30 hours work a week, and was great fun too!

-Don Browne
LaBelle, Fl
http://swflorida.blogspot.com

T

Welcome Don!!!
So glad you made it here!
And thank you for the info.
Feel free to tell any other stories you may have.
How did you get the marimba?
And do you know what happened to the name plate from it?
Did you get to meet any famous people while you were there?

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2010-10-11 09:11 ]

T

Just saw this the other day when surfing the web.
http://www.kahiki.com/about-us/supper-club.aspx#

As you can see it says,
"This video was recorded in 1999 and describes the Kahiki Restaurant and the roots of today’s Kahiki Foods, Inc. The segment includes a narrative by founder Michael Tsao"

Michael Tsao is NOT the founder of the Kahiki.
Bill Sapp and Lee Henry were the founders of the Kahiki.

Michael Tsao made eggs rolls and tore down the Kahiki.
Dose that statement piss any one else off here?

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2010-10-31 08:54 ]

:lol: I doubt it (that it would piss anyone of), Skip.

Though that is true, it has to be noted that Tsao also helped the place to exist way past the period of Tiki devolution. It was most unfortunate that he had to pull the plug at the time he did, but when you have toiled in the restaurant industry all your life, and business is dragging, and someone comes along and offers you a million bucks to chash out... what would the Jab do?

Refuse!, of course, and so would you and I. But we are crazy idealists, of which the world is not made of, sadly.

T

"Refuse!, of course, and so would you and I. But we are crazy idealists, of which the world is not made of, sadly"

I hate to say I think I too would have taken the money.
But since they got to keep the tiki stuff, I would have made a much smaller tiki bar after.

This is kind of a hot issue with me, as when I sold my restaurant, the one my parents started long ago.
The guy who bought it acts like me and my family had notthing to do with the place.
When I took over I started making it look like a real 40s/50s diner.
http://www.jacksdowntowndiner.com/
It was my bigest "art" project ever.
Now articles come out and say it looks just like it did when it opened.
Well it was ugly when it opened, It was not till I poured my heart, soul and money into it that it looked cool.
When you create somthing you think wow I did that, Ya can't take that away.
I know he bought it, it's his, and I don't expect him to toot my horn now.
But to lie and take credit for your creation, That's low.
Plus they buy the cheapest well everything, The waitress that used to work for me told
me she does not eat the hamburgers there anymore.
That was our bigest seller!
If someone put their name on your book of tiki you would not be pissed?
Lastly I would say that Mitch Boyce kept the Kahiki gonig for some of those bad years.
Two folks who worked at the Kahiki at that time stated that a person ran the Kahiki into the ground
so that Mitch would want out as fast as he could get out.
That is second hand, so who knows if it's fact I must add.

Bill Sapp and Lee Henry Created the Kahiki and that is fact.
Mr Tsao liked Day glo paint and made egg rolls.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-09-07 06:12 ]

On 2010-10-31 08:47, tikiskip wrote:
Bill Sapp and Lee Henry Created the Kahiki and that is fact.
Mr Tsao liked Day glo paint and made egg rolls.

Haha, that's harsh. You can be sure that I hate the late Kahiki paint jobs, too. All I am saying is that despite Tsao not having the artistic eye of its founders, he had the business talents to keep this important Tiki temple alive way past the destructive period of Tiki Devolution, unlike many other Tiki havens during that time. And that, unfortunately, the amount of heart blood poured into the authenticity of a restaurant does not necessarily guarantee its survival. There sadly are many examples of well designed Tiki Revival places that are no more. I understand your view on an emotional level, but objectively the man's business sense helped the place to last so it could be appreciated (and photographed by me). Alas, the same business sense made him sell it to Walgreens, too. :(

P.S.: And Skip, please believe me, I do not mean to come across as the big defender of Mr. Tsao (may he R.I.P.), I have nothing invested in that, but the line "This video was recorded in 1999 and describes the Kahiki Restaurant and the roots of today’s Kahiki Foods, Inc. The segment includes a narrative by founder Michael Tsao" can very well be interpreted as Tsao merely being called the founder of Kahiki Foods Inc, which he was.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-11-01 07:35 ]

On 2010-10-31 09:15, bigbrotiki wrote:

the line "This video was recorded in 1999 and describes the Kahiki Restaurant and the roots of today’s Kahiki Foods, Inc. The segment includes a narrative by founder Michael Tsao" can very well be interpreted as Tsao merely being called the founder of Kahiki Foods Inc, which he was.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-11-01 07:35 ]

That's the way I took it too Bigbro. Michael Tsao was the founder of Kahiki Foods even though it was said in a roundabout way. I think skip just needed to vent! :wink:

T

I see your point Bigbro.
And Jeff you know I love to vent.

But... If you click on mr Tsaos photo on that site
what pops up next is "Kahiki founder under his photo"

The Tsaos do donate to local tiki events and have made friends of most of the tiki
peeps here.
I'm the only hold out.
Kinding I don't hate em, I just really respect Bill Sapp and Lee Henry.
And want to keep alive the fact that they, with others created the Kahiki.

T

Letter from blog site.

I just had to let you know my story: As a little girl my Uncle Jerry lived in Columbus, OH. We went to visit for a weekend and he took us to the most amazing place for dinner. It was called the Kahiki…………….I just have to tell you it is one of the most memorable events of my life. That may sound a bit exaggerated, but it truly is not. My family rarely went out for dinner so it was a treat just to go to a nice place, but as a young girl, I remember trying to take in every little detail of the restaurant and my experience there. I remember walking up to the restaurant and looking way up to the top and the Tahitian decorations and fire torches outside with all the beautiful foliage. Inside I recall it was a bit dark and I remember the fish aquariums and the cool decanters for the drinks. The girls were beautiful and dressed like I would imagine Hawaii with the wrapped skirts and orchid designs. It was extra special to me because my Aunt and Uncle lived in Hawaii as my Uncle was stationed there for the Navy then. I knew she loved it and I always dreamed of going there and I felt very close to it being at the Kahiki! I got the privilege of sitting in the queen wicker chair, which made me feel like a queen myself.
Tim, I have never forgotten this place and always wanted to go back. When we were in Florida a couple years ago I saw a tourist brochure for a restaurant called the “Mai Kai” – I thought this was related to the Kahiki and I wanted to go. Unfortunately we couldn’t get reservations until very late and the drive was too far for us at that time so we didn’t end up going. A girlfriend at work recently went to Columbus for a gold tournament and I instantly remembered the Kahiki was there. I decided to look it up on the internet and was so very disappointed to see it had been torn down. I am so sad – it was such a fantastic place and I’m sure there are many others who feel the same. I was actually considering taking a weekend trip just to go back to the restaurant. Unfortunately, I never made it. I was trying to find another Kahiki, but didn’t find one. So, I guess I’ll have my girlhood memories of this most wonderful experience.

Maybe you are part of the family that started this wonderful place – you must be blessed – I hope you are! So, this is the next best thing and the reason why I joined the online recipe group. Thank you for sending the information and all the best to you and your family -
Cheri from Missouri

That's lovely, and I think you, Skip, are the Kahiki founders' son they never had! Unfortunately, nowadays (as ever?), most children are so bent on finding their own path (a healthy instinct) that they do not care much for their parents' achievements (or at least take them for granted) and do not perpetuate their memory. A lesson we can learn from our South Sea neighbors is their tradition of ancestor worship. Respect your elders and tell their tales.

T

Ha! Ha! True.
Maybe one day I will be on diner central, and make lights for diners.

MH

More photos of jeff and the marimba please. Mr. Ho wants to get some of his old college repertoire out and see how it sounds on a tiki-flavored axe like jeff's!

Mr. Ho

On 2010-12-10 06:57, Mr. Ho wrote:
More photos of jeff and the marimba please. Mr. Ho wants to get some of his old college repertoire out and see how it sounds on a tiki-flavored axe like jeff's!

Mr. Ho

I'll take some more pics this weekend! :)

After reading through all 21 pages on this thread, which I found informative and entertaining (the reason I come here) it appears the images I am going to post have not been posted here yet? These were slides I purchased at the same time I purchased the menus I recently posted. Again, I feel very fortunate to have these and wanted to share them here. I finally had the time to go and buy a slide converter and figure out how to use it today, so here are the images from the slides marked "Kahiki, October 1963"...

Pretty cool thread!

Later,

PTD

Thanks PTD,very cool pictures!

Fan-friggin'-tastic ! I remember seeing some of these on Tiki Hula's site. I would love to be able to use some of these in the "Look of Tiki" as examples of Tiki temple priestesses in native garb. So it's not all Mai Kai girls. Let me know if that would be possible. I believe you are the new holder of the rights. :)

T

Wow! Wow! Wow!
Thanks for posting these photos.
If you look at the second photo you will see the bamboo bridge
behind the girl.
This bridge was not bamboo for long as it was replaced by a metal
railing, Rot I would guess is the reason.
I have never seen that close a photo of the first railing till now.
The fire fish on top were made of plywood as well at the start.
Both of these items most likely were tossed and replaced by the metal ones.
I think they are in Vermont now, the metal ones that is.
But what about those tiki in these photos?
There are three of them I've never seen.
And I've seen most of the Kahiki stuff over the years. (they are not in my videos Of the Kahiki)
I would say these walked out of the Kahiki early in their Kahiki life.
The kahiki opened in 1961 late in the year so these photos are only 1 or so years old.
Thanks again great photos!
This is why I love TC.

T

Just found this out in net land.

Kahiki Polynesian Restaurant - Vague Recollections
The Kahiki will be sorely missed by me, having gone numerous times as a child, but even more so because back in the '60s my parents -- Bob & Dorothy Breining -- made the "mystery bowl" ceramic drink bowls, from their humble little ceramic shop in the basement of our home on Broadhurst Dr. in Whitehall Oh., not two miles from the famed Kahiki. Fond fond memories of the building's long "fish tank" on one side or a one-of-a-kind, building-long "rain forest." It would actually "rain" several times an hour. Or the grass skirted woman who would "offer up" to the gods the "mystery bowl" drink, as she would deliver the drink to patrons who ordered it. The atmosphere was absolutely unforgettable. [philip breining, 01/30/2009]

Hey philip you out there?
What mugs did your parents make?
Would love to talk to you.

On 2011-01-01 17:31, bigbrotiki wrote:
Fan-friggin'-tastic ! I remember seeing some of these on Tiki Hula's site. I would love to be able to use some of these in the "Look of Tiki" as examples of Tiki temple priestesses in native garb. So it's not all Mai Kai girls. Let me know if that would be possible. I believe you are the new holder of the rights. :)

By all means, use them for your endeavor. Let me know if you need the slides!

PTD

On 2011-01-01 15:01, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
After reading through all 21 pages on this thread, which I found informative and entertaining (the reason I come here) it appears the images I am going to post have not been posted here yet? These were slides I purchased at the same time I purchased the menus I recently posted. Again, I feel very fortunate to have these and wanted to share them here. I finally had the time to go and buy a slide converter and figure out how to use it today, so here are the images from the slides marked "Kahiki, October 1963"...

Pretty cool thread!

Later,

PTD

Please post these images again if you can. I would love to see them.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

TJ

The photo links are broken. :(

H

From earlier today:

On 2011-01-08 15:19, hanford_lemoore wrote:
Keep in mind missing photos are still being restored. if you see broken photos from recent posts, don't remove them from your posts. They'll come back later (hopefully)

Since the possibility of these pictures being recoverd looks grim, I am reposting the copies of the slides.

Later,

PTD

Wholly Smokes!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Those are truly amazing!! Thanks for re-posting Psycho-D!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Great snaps. The loss of the Kahiki is painful even this many years out, but it is fantastic to see photos of it here and other tiki sites now and then.

A couple of the pics are some of the best shots of the detail around the fireplace that I've seen while it was still in the K.

T

Thanks for the repost!!!
And did you see that only one girl has blond hair.
The girls at the Kahiki had to wear black wigs back in the day.
I wonder if these may have been taken by Lee Henry he was
a photographer back then, and that kinda looks like one of the offices.
Boom Chicka Wow Wow.

Oh, and RIP Marsh Padilla It was great to meet you and your wife Nina.

T

Christmas eve, Wow that's rough.

G

Question: The fifth slide from the top (girl with arms up next to Moai with cap)... Could that be a Barney West? Are there other examples of his carvings at the Kahiki? Pardon my ignorance on this point if it has already been discussed, but a search turned up nothing.

Those slides are really terrific, PTD! I love it when treasures like this surface out of nowhere. Having just gone through hundreds of my family's old slides from the 50s onward and scanning them all into the computer, it looks to me like some of these slides could benefit from some color adjustments, contrast tweaking, etc and they'd be good as new.

T

I have never seen that tiki at the Kahiki.
It looks like it was at the left side of the Kahiki in a garden
that was not there for long.
They may have needed the space for parking.
I have an idea where it may be if I can get a photo I will post it here.
Do not hold your breath though, It's a long shot that it's there.

Great photos though, I kinda like the off color old photo look.

PTD,

Thanks for re-posting those pics.

Here are a few fuzzy slides from ebay.

Nice shot of the bar manager.

Aerial view.

Fireplace.

DC

Yowza !!! Who got these !? Assuming they are in focus, these are great:
I never knew that nude-with-hut mural existed! It looks like the same photo session than the better known vertical postcard. And the Moai fire place one is the same shot that was used for the Tiki issue of "Institutions" magazine in 1961. And that areal shot, wow!

I wonder if these were originally sold in one of those souvenir strips of slides, at the Beachcomber gift shop, the magenta-turned film reminds me of those.

Right you are Birbro. The images came from a four-slide Pana-Vue souvenir pack from the giftshop.

DC

Ha! Thanks. Here's the postcard I mentioned:

The mixologist is wearing the same shirt, so it seems both photos are from the same photo session. I wonder if they deemed the nude mural too risque for a postcard and shot a version with a more generic background. Unfortunately I am not at home with my archive, so I can't check the caption for the guy's name.

Bigbro,

You still in Paris? The bar manager's name is a classic, Senor George Ono (which is a very tasty fish and also means Delicious or Very Good in Hawaiian)

There were two of the Pana Vue slide sets. Several of the slides were the same as the postcards, so the postcards and the slides were definitely shot at the same time. It's too bad they didn't use all of the images as postcards.

DC

I am in Hamburg now, starting a shoot. It's friggin' freezin' here, and we will have a bunch of night exteriors. Grumble.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 688 replies