Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

KAHIKI Columbus, ohio tiki bar restaurant. Lee Henry, The catalog

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 688 replies

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Jan 2, 2015 7:15 AM

It is the unspoken truth that a lot of the stuff we are collecting was stolen. And I know people in this community who steal to this day. People will steal anything. The Mai-Kai lost a giant stone statue taken by crane in the night!

I also know most places put a mug or whatever with their name on it as an advertising expense for tax purposes.

I have been told that the Mai-Kai loses about 300 Rum Barrels some months. Those are not free. Imagine the cost and think about what it takes for you to continue to be able to drink out of a Rum Barrel mug when you go to the Mai-Kai. They are in the gift shop these days for those with a conscience. and I heard that they might start offering them for sale like they do the Mara Amu, but at something close to cost to offset the hit to the books. That could help a lot.

Matchbooks, postcards, napkins, swizzle sticks and sometimes menus were meant to go home with the guests.

T

Thanx for adding hang10tiki.

Now that we are fired up here are some more lighters and matches.

And Tim that is a lot of theft, wow!
My place did not have that much walking out the door that's for sure.
We did have to hide the sweet and low from the little old ladies that would fill their purses
with all they could take.

BUT, you are going to break these mugs at a faster pace than a glass glass for sure.
Bill even said that that was a problem with the mystery bowls so they did not last long.
AND I did not come close to the amount of theft they have but I never came close to
the profits the Mai Kai makes as well.

Spillage is or at least should be wrote into the cost of these drinks, maybe a
small charge is needed for the glass wear as well.
This is what credit card companies do to cut their loses due to people who don't
pay their debts.

Michael Jackson wanted you to pay for every song you download for free but we all know that's not going to happen.

It would be too bad if theft kept tiki joints from having these cool mugs.
At Three Dots they are very good about selling their mugs and don't piss and moan when
you ask them to get them for you(they have no gift shop).

TikiSkip- great photo

2 more

T

Here is a nice article on Lee Henrys house.
Looks like it was for sale not too long ago.
Met Mr. Henry once during an interview for one of the Kahiki books that was never published.
He and his wife were very nice.
http://www.columbusmonthly.com/content/stories/2014/03/property.html

Property: The House that the Kahiki Built
Copious windows and a nod to a former Columbus institution define this Frank Lloyd Wright-inspired Westerville home.

By MICHELLE SULLIVAN
From the March 2014 edition
233 0 Google +0 0 358

Michelle Sullivan
4480 Ravine Dr., Westerville

Asking price: $895,000

Listing agent: Kevin Sullivan, RE/MAX

Look Inside: 4480 Ravine Drive in Westerville
View Slideshow
To those who have deep roots in Columbus—or at least lived here sometime before 2000—the rocks that climb the walls of 4480 Ravine Dr. in Westerville might look familiar. That’s because they are the stones that were left over from when the house’s original owner, Lee Henry, built the Kahiki Supper Club in 1961. When the nearly 7,000-square-foot house was designed for Henry and his wife in 1963, he had materials from his third restaurant incorporated both inside and out, including copper plumbing. The home—built on more than 7 acres—was designed by a graduate of the Frank Lloyd Wright School of Architecture and clearly reflects the let-the-outside-in concept of Wright’s teaching. It features mostly natural materials—wood, stone and glass. The four bedrooms feature vaulted ceilings (as do most other rooms), a floating staircase ascends to the lofted master suite, which includes two of five-and-a-half bathrooms, and the home’s 160 panes of glass allow ample natural light in and boast a view of the adjacent wooded ravine from nearly all angles.

A gated driveway winds through the dense woods for true privacy accompanied by the illusion of a secluded-someplace outside of Ohio.

Current owner Randy Giddens spearheaded a $300,000 renovation when he bought the house from the Henrys 15 years ago. His goal was to modernize it while maintaining the integrity of the original design. The main living space used to feature a sunken floor with a narrow fireplace in the center of the room and fixed sofa seating. Giddens gutted that space and raised the oak floor to incorporate two separate (but open) sitting areas and a built-in bar.
The original kitchen was boxed off from separate living and dining rooms. “That was the Frank Lloyd Wright style back in the day,” Giddens says, “small rooms with a lot of windows.” Giddens knocked down the walls and opened the kitchen to the rest of the house, while adding an extra dining area that gives way to the backyard. He also added an artist’s studio with two walls of windows and an additional office space. Giddens sealed the original bomb shelter (the house was built in the ’60s, after all) but constructed another shelter of his own: a 2,500-bottle wine cellar in the basement.

T

looks like it did not sell.
Used to be able to get a whole house for 24 thousand!
Now that's the taxes per year.

Very nice house.

Tax Year 2014
Annual Taxes
$24,551.64
Building Data
Year Built
Total Sq Footage

Here is a nice collection of photos.
many are ones from this thread but new ones as well.
https://www.google.com/search?q=lee+henry+kahiki&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=637&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=wCrIVOmVIsK2yASTgoLIBQ&ved=0CFAQsAQ&dpr=1.5

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2015-01-27 16:24 ]

H

On 2015-01-27 16:02, tikiskip wrote:

Current owner Randy Giddens spearheaded a $300,000 renovation when he bought the house from the Henrys 15 years ago. His goal was to modernize it while maintaining the integrity of the original design. The main living space used to feature a sunken floor with a narrow fireplace in the center of the room and fixed sofa seating. Giddens gutted that space and raised the oak floor ...

This sounds like a bad move. Why would he have done this? Was there a problem with flooding? Did he have small kids running around? It had better be a very good reason, "modernization" is not a valid excuse.

Oh, and he sealed off the bomb shelter too? Who wouldn't want a bomb shelter?? Whether truly necessary or not, I'd want one just for the novelty.

[ Edited by: Hakalugi 2015-01-27 16:38 ]

T

I hear ya!

Westerville is not the swankest place to live in Columbus area, It's not a bad place mind you.
This must have been a new exclusive development back in the 60s as it's not closer than other
parts of town to the Kahiki.
My folks had a restaurant near Westerville at this time (60s) and you would need to go past some bad parts of town that are even worst now to get there.

Don't know this area really but 8 hundred thousand plus to live in Westerville now may
be a tough sell.
Plus almost 25 thousand in taxes per year.

Here are some other living rooms that need "fixing"
https://www.google.com/search?q=sunken+living+room+design&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=637&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=bEnIVPejIIa2yQTl3IDoDw&ved=0CB0QsAQ#imgdii=9o6E6NRGggAlIM%3A%3B_nfCDPAcXaWQwM%3B9o6E6NRGggAlIM%3A&imgrc=9o6E6NRGggAlIM%253A%3BuMqoeAkfoHW42M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fjordanguidedesign.com%252Fblog%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2009%252F10%252Fsunken-room-3-300x232.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fjordanguidedesign.com%252Fblog%252Fcategory%252Fsunken-rooms%252F%3B300%3B232

Well here's an add featuring the Beachcomber Trio at the Kahiki.

Prance barefoot through the sands, wicked!

DC

T

Great addition Dustycajun.

But all we have are grey sky's and mud to walk through at this time.

VERY COOL!!!!! 8)

Thanks dustycajun!!!

T

This has a slight Kahiki tie to it..
John Travolta filming I Am Wrath in old Kahiki home Columbus Ohio ...at Jack's Downtown diner!!!
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=49082&forum=6&start=last&2

Here are a few more old ads from the Kahiki.

The kids. I thought I remembered seeing a kids menu from Kahiki but I could not find an image.

Set sail indeed!

DC

Again, thanks to Tikiskip and all of the previous posters who excel in Urban Archeology. I never visited the Kahiki but the story is an epic that intrigues me. Now to buy the book...

T

Thanks Mr. Velvet.
TC is nothing without the many people who post info as they find it.

Have run into may types that don't want to add a photo of a Kahiki item because
they are going to write a book and want to save the photo of said item for the
book.(I've met five people who "are going to do a book one day", One has come out)

Then there is the I don't want people to know what this item is so I can hopefully find
it as they pass it up.

Also the I'm just here to promote my own, Art, Event, Sale, and will add very little if
anything over the years.

All of these types do have one thing in common as they all benefit from others who do add to TC.
They benefit from people who do add to TC like...Sabu, Dustycajun, Monkeyman and Sven just to name a few.

The Kahiki had more diverse items than any other tiki bar out there at any time. IMHO
The first generation Kahiki had so many people making and adding their own tiki art to this place.
This along with the many professional types like Oceanic Arts, Courbn Morgan, Hoffman Pottery and
many more.
It is good to give credit to all who made these items and let their contribution's be known, put a face to the art work.

I had a restaurant and it was my greatest art installation I have ever done, the day after I
sold it my name was wiped form the history of that place, Hack my family helped wipe my name out.
So it's a soft spot to me.
And the whole tiki thing.

This is part of the reason I started this thread to show the many Kahiki items that where made
over the years and who made them, and to highlight the early Kahiki art types that put their
heart into the Kahiki they built.

I must admit that I was hoping to get more people adding things to this thread over the years
so all could see an odd Kahiki thing never before seen.

Add what you can when you can and pay it forward.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2015-05-02 18:35 ]

UT

Keep up the good work Skip. Your thread is one of the reasons that I signed up to TC ten years ago and threads like yours make me stick around. These places would be a hollow memory with only dusty artifacts and faded postcards to reminds us of how great they were without people as dedicated as you. You have taken the time and put in the effort to tell the stories of the many folks who have given so much to make the Kahiki a legend in its own time and one that still rings true today. These tiki temples may have fallen and their idols cast down and relegated to flea market fodder but the stories are still told and retold because of folks like yourself. Thanks

T

Thank you trav!
You definitely add to TC.

Love your bomb posts and your miniature tiki huts you make.
You are one of the "others who I did not note here"

Keep posting and adding to TC as nobody would watch a TV channel with
nothing but commercials, and the same would be of a TC that is nothing but adds
for what folks maybe trying to sell.

T

Just did a search on Kahiki and really was trying to find right spelling for
Michael Tsao.

BUT it was hard to find him, page after page no Michael Tsao.
One of the reasons I started this thread was it seemed like Lee Henry and Bill Sapp
were not the names you found when you did a search on Kahiki.
The founders were put in the back seat or not even talked about when Kahiki came up.

NOW, The script has flipped and you no see Michael Tsao in a Kahiki search.

I don't dislike the Tsaos but felt this was wrong back then.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2015-09-28 20:52 ]

T

Leland W. Henry Jr.

1930 - 2015 Obituary Condolences

Leland W. Henry Jr. Obituary
Henry, Jr. Leland W. Henry, Jr., 85, passed away on September 22, 2015, having lived an exceptionally full life. He was born on May 9, 1930 to Helen (Anderson) and Leland W. Henry Sr. Leland Sr. died shortly thereafter. Subsequently, Helen married a widower, Loren M. Berry, who had four children. Lee was forever grateful for such a loving stepfather, and stepsiblings, Loren Murphy Berry Jr., Martha Berry Fraim, John W. Berry, and Elizabeth Fox Gray, who all preceded him in death. Lee is survived by his loving wife, Marilyn; daughters, Lauren Henry (Ron Boysen), Karen Helmick (Jeff), Dawn Webber (Brian); grandsons, Keegan Webber and Joel Helmick; sisters-in-law, Augusta Mansfield and Marilynn Berry; as well as many nieces and nephews. Lee graduated from Oakwood High School in Dayton. Following his graduation from OSU, Lee embarked on a career in the restaurant business with Bill Sapp, starting The Top Steak House in 1955, The Kahiki in 1961, and The Wine Cellar in 1972. In 1960 Lee married Marilyn Mansfield and they enjoyed 54 magical, fun filled years together. For a father of three girls, having only grandsons was a new adventure that he embraced whole-heartedly by sharing with them his love of cars, photography, and all things Apple. Throughout his life, there was no curiosity or interest he did not pursue. He was a runner before running was cool. He earned his multi-engine and instrument pilot licenses early in life, was a scuba diver, skier, bicyclist, exercise enthusiast, and avid sailor. He and Marilyn loved to travel and enjoyed showing their daughters the world. Always the optimist, Lee lived life to the fullest. He enjoyed everyone he met, never met a stranger, and to the end was interested in other people. Lee's family would like to thank the doctors and nurses of the MICU at the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, who gave him the best possible care and showed immense kindness. A memorial service will be held at 3 p.m. Sunday, October 11, 2015 at SCHOEDINGER MIDTOWN CHAPEL, 229 East State St., where family will receive friends from 2 p.m. until the time of service. Interment to take place at a later date in Ketchum, Idaho. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Lettuce Work, PO Box 217, New Albany, OH 43054 or OSU Wexner Medical Center (MICU), 660 Ackerman Road, PO Box 183112, Columbus, OH 43218 (checks payable to: OSU Foundation). To share memories or condolences, please visit http://www.schoedinger.com.
Published in The Columbus Dispatch from Sept. 27 to Oct. 9, 2015

H

Here is a great history on Lee Henry written by his nephew, John Fraim.

http://greathousestories.com/2015/09/28/lee-henry/

T

That is a great article!
I can remember hearing some of this from way back when I was very young.
My Dad had a restaurant right around the corner from the Union downtown, Small Fry restaurant on state street.

Thanks for adding that.
I thought I saw that the same person that wrote this (John Fraim) was going to do a book
on the Kahiki as well.
Here's hoping that John Fraim is working on a Kahiki book!

T

Here is the article from Imbibe magazine 2014.

Henry and Sapp went
researching, traveling west to
visit Don the Beachcomber in Los
Angeles, then to San Francisco to
check out Trader Vic’s. In 1957, Lee
and their chief designer headed to
the newly opened Mai Kai in Fort
Lauderdale, where—posing as
tourists—they took snapshots and
pocketed menus.

“One of the luckiest places as a young man in Ohio during the
‘60s was to be sitting across from a beautiful girl at the Kahiki,” writes
John Fraim, Lee Henry’s nephew, and an author of a forthcoming
book about the Kahiki. “Both participants [were] in some modern
type of alchemical reunion it seemed. But a few of the drinks at the
Kahiki in those years would do this to you.”
Ah, yes—the drinks.
John Fraim

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/539f4a4fe4b06c9050b2dd53/t/54075d33e4b0d617570f235f/1409768755640/SO14_BehindTheBar.pdf

T

Had a funny/sad thing happen at the Greater Columbus Antique mall the other day.

We were walking out and my wife saw a Kahiki creamer sitting in a box and asked "how much is that?"

They told her it was sold, there is a person who told them to save everything Kahiki
and call them first and they would buy it.

Really? tiki pig.
Sad thing is I bet I know this person.

I may not have bought it, but it's nice to think you got a shot at SOME find every now and then.

Bad Karma coming to you tiki pig.

Hi Skip. I know that all of the antique shops and malls in my area keep spiral notebooks with names of collectors in them. One mall I know of has a full notebook with folks who collect various items that they will hold for them and then give them a call. Even the local thrift stores have people that hold items for collectors before they hit the shelf. I'm not on a list but still manage to find some good stuff now and then.

T

I did know that some of them put all tiki and other stuff straight to eBay.
Not that big a tiki collector at this point in time really.
Only buy when the item is very low price.

You know I liked that show American Pickers but when they start that "it will go to a good home"
Or the "I love it"
First the home it will go to is the first guy who pays them double or more for it.
The guy could actually be HOMELESS and get said item.
Second he loves the fact that they bought it so low that they are going to make a killing
on it.

Still find some other cool stuff.
The hunt is the fun part.

T

Not tiki, Kinda Kahiki related.
So here it is..

Kahiki owner’s son to open ramen restaurant on Lane Avenue.
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2015/12/01/1201-on-restaurants-kahiki-owners-son-to-open-ramen-restaurant.html

Fukuryu Ramen on Lane Avenue in Upper Arlington will be similar to the sleek design seen here at the original Fukuryu restaurant in Melbourne, Australia.
By Gary Seman Jr.
For The Dispatch • Monday November 30, 2015 11:26 AM
1456 52 1630
Jeff Tsao recalls some sage advice his father, a former Kahiki owner Michael Tsao, gave him.

“My father told me straight up you should never open a restaurant — the hours, the demands on your time. He regretted having to spend so much time away from his family.”

He decided to follow in his father's footsteps anyway.

Tsao, also a Kahiki Supper Club alumnus, will open Fukuryu Ramen in a burgeoning dining cluster near the Shops at Lane Avenue.

Photos: Memories of the Kahiki Supper Club

The restaurant, whose name roughly translates to the lucky dragon in Japanese, will take over 1,400 square feet of space at 1600 Lane Ave., next to Hudson 29. A mid-January opening is planned.

It’s a follow-up to the original Fukuryu (pronounced foo-kur-yoo) in Melbourne, Australia, offering a sleek design using concrete, stainless steel and wood.

“Our concept in Australia is very similar to what we’re going to be doing here,” said owner Tsao, whose experience also includes having been part of the Kahiki prepared-foods business based in Gahanna. “It’s a modern, urban dining space. It’s going to be on the loud side.”

As the name would suggest, the restaurant will specialize in ramen, the traditional Japanese noodle soup. All will feature homemade broths — tonkotsu (pork), shio (salt), shoyu (soy) and miso (soy paste) — and various toppings.

Other Japanese-inspired ramen dishes include the Red Dragon, containing spicy chili peppers, and the Black Dragon, featuring a swarthy stock made with squid ink, black sesame seed paste and a solitary black meatball.

The rest of the menu will consists of rice bowls, curry dishes and items found in an izakaya, or pub – Japanese salads, chicken karaage (fried chicken nuggets) and okonomiyaki (savory pancakes). Fukuryu will have a cold case in front so customers can grab items to go.

Some details haven’t been worked out, such as the pricing structure. But Tsao wants it to be affordable enough to attract customers there multiple times a week.

He said the goal is to bring the casual dining of Japan to a wider audience.

“There’s nothing fancy about it,” he said. “It just warms the soul. It makes you feel good.”

Tsao said Fukuryu’s ramen is an experience in aromas, textures and flavors.

“The way I can best explain it is our flavors are very bold,” he said. “You’re going to experience ramen the way it’s supposed to be in Japan.”

Noodles will be made locally by the International Noodle Co. on the North Side, which also supplies the Kahiki Foods with its egg-roll skins.

Tsao’s initial restaurant training came as a dishwasher at the Kahiki Supper Club, a long-celebrated Polynesian restaurant located on the East Side of Columbus. It closed in 2000 after nearly 40 years in business.

Tsao’s late father, one of several owners in its long history, bought the restaurant in 1988. Seven years later, he founded Kahiki Frozen Foods, now known as Kahiki Foods. Abarta, a Pittsburgh-based company, bought most shares in the Kahiki in 2007 but it remained in Gahanna.

Tsao, who trained at the Culinary Institute of America and earned a bachelor’s and MBA at Ohio State University, worked in the hospitality business but returned to the Kahiki where he worked for a period of time as director of research and development.

Tsao left in 2012 to join a business group that established a chain of ramen restaurants in Japan and Indonesia. The group financed Fukuryu, which opened last year in Melbourne. He said expansion plans are on hold in Australia.

T

This also. 12/4/2015

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2015/11/30/son-to-replace-alice-tsao-on-kahiki-board.html

Son to replace Alice Tsao on board of Kahiki Foods

Kahiki Foods makes and sells frozen Asian foods from a facility in Gahanna.
Kahiki Foods has announced that Jeff Tsao will replace his mother, Alice Tsao, on the company’s board of directors.

Alice Tsao had been associated with the company, which now makes and sells frozen Asian foods, for 37 years.

The Tsao family has been a part of Kahiki for many years. Michael and Alice Tsao owned and operated the Kahiki restaurant for 22 years.

In 2007, several years after closing the restaurant and starting a frozen-food business, Alice Tsao sold a majority interest in Kahiki to ABARTA, a family-owned company based in Pittsburgh.

Jeff Tsao is a former director of research and development for Kahiki.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2015-12-04 04:26 ]

T

Place holder.

T

What was the goings on Feb 22 (a Wednesday) 1961 first day of the Kahiki?

February 20, 1961 (Monday)[edit]
Jerry Garcia, an 18-year old drifter who had been discharged from the U.S. Army, survived a car accident in Palo Alto, California. He would later describe the event as "the slingshot for the rest of my life"."Before then I was always living at less than capacity," he would write later. "Then I got serious." Garcia would go on to found the Grateful Dead.

Top #5 songs in the USA

Chubby Checker - Pony Time
Lawrence Welk - Calcutta
The Shirelles - Will You Love Me Tomorrow?
Ferrante and Teicher - Exodus
The Miracles - Shop Around

On February 20th, 1961, the closest available weather station to Columbus, OH (COLUMBUS MUNICIPAL ARPT, OH), reported the following conditions:
High Temp: 37.9°F *
Low Temp: 21.9°F *
Average Temp: 30.2°F ( 24 )
Dewpoint: 23.4°F ( 24 )
Sea Level Pressure: 1030.8 mb ( 24 )
Station Pressure: 999.1 mb ( 24 )
Visibility: 9 miles ( 24 )
Wind Speed: 2.7 knots ( 24 )
Max Wind Speed: 8.9 knots
Max Wind Gust: n/a
Precipitation Amount: 0 inches I
Snow Depth: n/a
Observations: n/a

º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ºº¤ø,¸¸,:MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM TIKISKIP!!:º¤ø,¸¸ø¤ºº¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º

This quote to me speaks to what happens when those great old places slowly die like the Kahiki did.
Willis & Geiger made those awesome shirts that you would see in the old safari and war movies.
Ernest Hemingway even had a shirt made by them just for him.

“Unfortunately good brands of heritage are a reflection of their original management; when they become professionally managed, they lose the spark that brought them to where they are today. I found that to be classic in the industry. Whenever they go into second- and third-generation management, they lose themselves. They no longer have the passion that was originally part of their DNA.Willis & Geiger”

Here is an odd Kahiki? Item found on eBay.
I know the seller but am not endorsing or saying don’t buy, just more of a lookie here thing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281905361993?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Ha! Hipster Kahiki Style Moai Salt Shaker
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281905415975

Found one
I was surprised at the great detail on the name on the bottom

T

The old version of that mug is smaller and had lots o detail.
So I would say that's an old one.
At the end those mugs were detail less blobs with the Kahiki just scratched into the bottom.

Where did you find that one?

Waikiki
:)

TT

A cool little piece of history from the Kahiki gift shop in the mid/late 80s that I picked up a few months back.

[ Edited by: Tiki Toli 2016-02-06 09:22 ]

Just enjoyed browsing through this entire post again and have a
couple more pics to share.

Later candle holder in green, waitress told me to take it home
on final public night since it was my birthday 8/25/2000 :)

Suggestion box I got shortly after one of the sales

T

Good one Simon.
We were there that night as well, we ate on the left hand side as you walk in the Kahiki.
This would have been the old bar area. Am sure we went to the bar after.
Also took lots of video that night, wonder if you are in any footage?

Saw Jeff he and his wife and they are on that footage.
The people we talked to at the Kahiki last night party were not the folks that are on
this site now it was all the other folks who talked with each other.
Where is all this aloha we keep hearing about?

Did get to talk to Otto about the Witco we had just got, did not know what it was.
did not know about tiki news, or TC even.

Love the box, wonder if there is a suggestion saying don't close.

Am sure the FOM has the Video in some locked off thread maybe you can find yourself in it.

Thakx for posting.

Been a Loooong time but here's a new bit o info.
Was poking around eBay and found these Hoffman pottery mugs that sold.

There must be many different markings for the backs of the Hoffman stuff.
AND here are two new ones on me.
Some don't like to share info like this on TC as it hips you what to look for.

Dam share the wealth, you could at least show off the cool mug you got.
I have a feeling this went in a huge warehouse like the one at the end of the Indiana Jones movie with crates and crates of tiki all boxed up.

"Rosebud"

First one is a Idols cast mug.
Man never saw that marking.
And at a low price too $300.00 plus a bit, the Steve mug used to sell for that price.

Now here is a Hoffman Moai mug.
Look at those odd markings.

I can't even imagine how much time is put into finding, biding and receiving, unpacking plus you then got to take the stuff to the Indy Jones warehouse for storage.

But my hats off to ya that is dedication!

That is a cool shirt that I have never seen.
It was great to meet you and your wife.

On 2016-02-06 09:22, Tiki Toli wrote:
A cool little piece of history from the Kahiki gift shop in the mid/late 80s that I picked up a few months back.

These are lights from the Kahiki,Brad got them at the egg roll factory sale and put them in his bar Largos for some time.
Well he's out of Largos and now they will be in the new bar Tiki Underground.
I did rewire them and I wrote on the top they are from the Kahiki I do this on the items I get from the Kahiki that have no markings like the table tops.

S

Has anyone ever seen or posted the Kahiki for Kids menu? I've seen it in pictures, but would love to see the whole thing.

T

I have seen it, I think it was a paper version.
Was there a non paper version?

Trader Jeff has one I think.
Damn, I could have one here and not know it.

I have an old one (non-laminated) and a later one (laminated). Both have the original artwork but the insides are slightly different. I'll post a picture when I can.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

I just picked up a cache of Kahiki items including the two headed Tiki ashtray, S & P shakers, three cloth napkins, a paper napkin,and a newspaper style insert from the restaurant that I had not seen before.

DC

Those cloth napkins are impressive!

Nice cache, DC. Love the two-headed ashtray -- never saw that one before!

Pretty sure we have a Kahiki kids menu. Menus are one thing we need to know what to do with. We hunt them down and save them, collect them ... but then what? Right now most of them are just tucked away in boxes.

OGR

Sorry, I'm confused...the Kahiki connection?

T

Some nice stuff DC.
The news paper is from the end of the Kahiki and the Napkins I don't know when they started those but it was early I think.

The two-headed ashtray I have seen one before but it was a different style somewhat.
They were all made one by one at that time and had no glaze that I have ever seen.
Plus if it was from the start of the Kahiki (that ashtray would have been from that time and made by Mrs. Sapp)the two-headed ashtray would have "Kahiki" scratched into the bottom.

The creativenative stuff is not from the Kahiki but still cool.
When we went to Hawaii we were hard pressed to find any tiki for sale.
Finally found one in the international market place from this guy who was under the Banyan tree only on Thursdays.

The tiki we saw on display were mostly TikiBosko carvings.

Sorry wrong thread. Let's me see if I can delete that post. Hard to believe I don't drink.

[ Edited by: creativenative 2017-11-07 20:37 ]

T

"Sorry wrong thread. Let's me see if I can delete that post. Hard to believe I don't drink."

That may be the problem, I kid.

This would be a good place for your tiki pic's.
And it was no big deal, just wanted people to know what is, is not, or might be from Kahiki.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1099&forum=5&start=10950&10952

T

Here is a bit of new Kahiki info? Mystery?

Ok so we know about Hoffman Pottery the second maker of Kahiki mugs / bowls second only to Mrs. Sapp herself.
So they were there from the very early days.

Here is a eBay listing for the Hoffman Pottery Mystery bowl, one of the hardest Kahiki items to get.
I was told by Bill Sapp that the bowls did not last long as the feet would break off and they had to toss em.

Now this is the marking from the bottom of the bowl.
These markings are different on other Hoffman pottery I have seen.
Don't know what markings are the earliest ones but it would be great to find out.

I am not saying these are fake, in fact this one looks very good and I would buy this one if I were to find a ton o cash laying about.

Here is a different Bowl.
Idols cast seen in front Mystery bowl in back.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 688 replies