Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

KAHIKI Columbus, ohio tiki bar restaurant. Lee Henry, The catalog

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 688 replies

T

Well NorthEnder sent a PM to say he can't make it so if yer commin to see him
he won't be there.
Barb and I will be there as it's right close to home.
Sorry maybe next time... feel free to join us if you can, it's always a fun time.
Bruce Nutt say he may come, but then it's bruce so who knows.
If ya don't know Bruce, then ya don't know Crazy Mamas...

U

John, you are getting your stories confused about Bernie with something else. Bernie didn't have an AC unit attached to his car, however, an employee named Jerry, who was a Chinese cook had a car that he installed some sort of heater in his car that actually had a vent pipe that was fabricated and vented out the top of his roof. It was too long ago to remember if it was a wood or some sort of fuel heater. Jerry also had a knack of walking on his hands and was quite talented in doing so.

[ Edited by: umeone 2014-05-17 09:07 ]

I may have.
There could be a book about each of the many interesting people at the Kahiki.
Come to Windward if you can tonight.
Thanks for adding...

T

Did get to see a few tiki folks at the Windward Bruce Nutt founder of Crazy Mamas and friend did make it.

Here is a tiki from the last auction of Kahiki stuff.
These tiki had a hollow center and a large hole at the top.
This is how I think those tiki were at one time with a float on the top.
We may never know but this is one of the tiki I wanted from the sale but never bid.

¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸TIKISKIP,Lights,ECT¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

T

Here is a eBay listing for Kahiki plans very interesting, NOT MY SALE!
AND I do not know who is selling this as well.
But will be fun to see how this goes.
There has been a question asked if these are the original plans or repos.
No answer given as of this date.
Stay tuned....

wrigh_owe (1 )

100% Positive feedback

5d 11h (Aug 09, 2014 17:07:16 PDT)

Starting bid:

US $1,000.00

Enter US $1,000.00 or more.

Description
Kahiki Supper Club - Complete Set of 1959 Building Plans Plus 1960s Rehab Plans

Shipping and payments

eBay item number:

Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.

Last updated on Aug 03, 2014 17:32:15 PDT View all revisions

Item specifics

Condition:
Used: An item that has been used previously. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of ... Read moreabout the condition

Here is a very rare complete set of construction plans from the popular Kahiki Supper Club Restaurant that operated in Columbus, Ohio between 1960 and 2000. The plans are full scale working construction drawings measuring approximately 24 x 36 inches. This set includes the complete set of 1959/1960 plans in addition to design plans for proposed changes to the building dating from 1963, 1965, and 1966. All are in immaculate condition. The 1959/1960 set includes: 1. Site Plans & Details 2. Floor Plans 3. Mezzanine Office Plans 4. Elevations 5. Longitudinal Sections 6. Cross Sections & Details 7. Cross Sections & Door Details 8. Entry Details 9. Fireplace Details 10. Stair Details The 1963 Plans include: 1. Exterior Entrance to Outrigger Bar 2. New Exterior Entrance to Outrigger Bar 3. Remodeling of East Dining Room 4. Remodeling of Basement Rooms The 1965 Plans Include: 1. Site Revisions and Asphalt Plan 2. Site Revisions of Landscape and Parking The 1966 Plans Include: 1. Proposed West Addition and Restoration Cleaning 2. Exterior Elevations of Proposed West Addition 3. Proposed Western Addition Part Two. With this set of building plans the Kahiki Supper Club could be reconstructed with exacting detail. Don't miss out on this rare opportunity to own a unique part of the "Primitiva Movement" associated with Mid 20th Century Architecture and Design. This set would be the ULTIMATE addition to your tiki collection as framed art or as a unique addition to your reference library. This is Americana at its best. The Set will be mailed in a standard shipping tube. Buyer responsible for shipping and insurance. Note: The photographs presented with this listing are not included with the building plans and are only used here for visual reference to the historic building and its unique landscape.

Questions and answers about this item
No questions or answers have been posted about this item.
Ask a question- opens in a new window or tab

Yeah, for a grand, these better be originals. I love architectural blueprints of Tiki temples almost as much as architectural renderings but strangely enough, these leave me a little underwhelmed. I think that there has been so much great eye candy on the place already been published that these don't really add to it.

That said, these would be of great interest to any scholar of the "Primitiva movement" (!?), but I would need to see a lot more than 3 pages + 2 photos to even think about shelling out a grand for this offering. If these sell, I hope they will go to someone in the Tiki community who will share their content - like the good folks who are doing the Kahiki book (if it's not too late to include them)

Or use them such: "….With this set of building plans the Kahiki Supper Club could be reconstructed with exacting detail" :D

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2014-08-04 07:47 ]

T

Here are some low tech photos of the plans.
Just for history sake.

Wanted to also note that this photo is of the newer style door.
Not a big deal just another question mark in this sale could be nothing but
a photo they got off line.
Almost looks like a "hey get a new photo of the new door we just put in".
Always thought they had to change the old doors out because it looked very heavy and this
would after time take these doors off their hinges and with the usage these doors would have seen
more so.
But this is just my guess.

Also me putting these plans or this sale here is not me saying they are real or fake, original or
repos.
just saying here they are this is what they looked like.
Would love to see em as they are cool at any rate.

T

Did find this after seeing POLYNESIAN ENTERPRISES, INC on the plans....

Trademark Search > Trademark Category > > KAHIKI
KAHIKI
Search nearby Search nearby Get FREE email alerts Get Map, Directions, and Reviews Get map and directions Submit
KAHIKI
By: POLYNESIAN ENTERPRISES, INC. tweet it Tweet Logo Share on Facebook
Perfect for these industries
Words that describe this logo
gift items souvenir trinket type jewelry pottery novelties linens eating utensils china
This is a brand page for the KAHIKI trademark by POLYNESIAN ENTERPRISES, INC. in COLUMBUS, , . Write a review about a product or service associated with this KAHIKI trademark. Or, contact the owner POLYNESIAN ENTERPRISES, INC. of the KAHIKI trademark by filing a request to communicate with the Legal Correspondent for licensing, use, and/or questions related to the KAHIKI trademark.
On Wednesday, November 28, 1962, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for KAHIKI by POLYNESIAN ENTERPRISES, INC., COLUMBUS. The USPTO has given the KAHIKI trademark serial number of 72158095. The current federal status of this trademark filing is EXPIRED. The correspondent listed for KAHIKI is ? of *****, *****, ***** ***** . The KAHIKI trademark is filed in the category of . The description provided to the USPTO for KAHIKI is GIFT ITEMS OF THE SOUVENIR AND TRINKET TYPE, SUCH AS JEWELRY, POTTERY, NOVELTIES, LINENS, EATING UTENSILS, AND CHINA.
Word Mark: KAHIKI
Status/
Status Date:
EXPIRED
3/8/1985
Serial Number: 72158095
Filing Date: 11/28/1962
Registration Number: 0781513
Registration Date: 12/8/1964
Goods and Services: GIFT ITEMS OF THE SOUVENIR AND TRINKET TYPE, SUCH AS JEWELRY, POTTERY, NOVELTIES, LINENS, EATING UTENSILS, AND CHINA
Mark Description: NOT AVAILABLE
Type Of Mark: TradeMark
Published For Opposition Date: N/A
Last Applicant/Owner: POLYNESIAN ENTERPRISES, INC.
COLUMBUS
Why is this contact information displayed?
Mark Drawing Code: Typeset (Words/letter/Number)
Design Search: (NO DATA)
Register Type: Principal
Disclaimer: (NOT AVAILABLE)
Correspondent:
?

Classification Information
International Class Code(s): 014, 020, 021, 008
US Class Code(s): 050
Primary Class:
Class(es) Status: Expired
First Use Anywhere: 2/20/1961
First Use In Commerce: 2/20/1961

LegalForce is the largest search engine for U.S. trademarks. Each month hundreds of trademarks around the world are filed by licensed attorneys in the LegalForce network! You can register your trademark in 100+ countries in the world through LegalForce Network.

LegalForce Network can help you incorporate a business around your KAHIKI trademark in less than 5 minutes. LegalForce makes the process easy and convenient, so start now!

LegalForce.com is a free search engine of publicly available government records. LegalForce.com is not a law firm and does not represent owners & correspondents listed on this page.

Click here to see what people say about KAHIKI >>
Trademark Document Retrieval >>

Here are some better pics of the plans rather than photos of the screen:

http://imgur.com/a/6s92J

"You can't eat real Polynesian food. It's the most horrible junk I've ever tasted." —Trader Vic Bergeron

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2014-08-04 11:49 ]

T

Thanks TikiTacky those are much better!

Yeah, I'm not sure about those plans being original either. I know someone who DOES own an original copy of the blueprints and they are being donated to the Ohio Historical Society at some point.

Yes, there will be a few of these blueprints in the Kahiki book. :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Cool, Jeff, way to go!

T

On 2014-08-05 08:11, Jeff Central wrote:
Yeah, I'm not sure about those plans being original either. I know someone who DOES own an original copy of the blueprints and they are being donated to the Ohio Historical Society at some point.
Yes, there will be a few of these blueprints in the Kahiki book. :)
Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

These will be good to see in the book Jeff.
Do you have an idea when the book will come out?
I have heard of some Kahiki plans out there as well via the
windward.

The book will be out in September!

I'll have plenty of copies to sell and will let you know when they arrive!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

M

Hello, I was hoping you could help my husband and me determine how we should best market our 11 pieces of Hitiki/Kahiki items. We are from Columbus, Ohio and about 20 years ago we were looking at a car that a guy had for sale. He had JUST put a bunch of stuff out by his garbage can. My husband looked at it and determined they were a bunch of Tiki gods and some other odds and ends. He asked the guy if he was throwing them out and he said yes and that we could have anything we wanted. He said the Tiki gods were prototypes for items that were sold at the Kahiki here in Columbus. We brought them home and put them in our garage and that is where they have sat for these past 20 years. We sell on eBay and today we brought them in to start our research. The pieces are marked Hitiki and of course we were able to find out that they were made by Jack Hite and that he was a commercial artist that was hired by the Kahiki to create items for use at the supper club. We have a total of 11 pieces. I was wondering if you could tell us how rare these are and if we should sell them on eBay or if there might be some national auction for vintage Polynesian supper club items. Any information you can give would be most appreciated. Many thanks for your time.

M

Hello, I was hoping you could help my husband and me determine how we should best market our 11 pieces of Hitiki/Kahiki items. We are from Columbus, Ohio and about 20 years ago we were looking at a car that a guy had for sale. He had JUST put a bunch of stuff out by his garbage can. My husband looked at it and determined they were a bunch of Tiki gods and some other odds and ends. He asked the guy if he was throwing them out and he said yes and that we could have anything we wanted. He said the Tiki gods were prototypes for items that were sold at the Kahiki here in Columbus. We brought them home and put them in our garage and that is where they have sat for these past 20 years. We sell on eBay and today we brought them in to start our research. The pieces are marked Hitiki and of course we were able to find out that they were made by Jack Hite and that he was a commercial artist that was hired by the Kahiki to create items for use at the supper club. We have a total of 11 pieces. I was wondering if you could tell us how rare these are and if we should sell them on eBay or if there might be some national auction for vintage Polynesian supper club items. Any information you can give would be most appreciated. Many thanks for your time.

T

It will help if you can post photos. I'm sure we would all like to see the pieces.

aloha, tikicoma

eBay would be your best bet for getting these items to the most people!

Yes, pictures would really help in determining rarity plus this is the Kahiki Catalog thread!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

I concur with Jeff. The market for Tiki is still relatively limited, and it certainly has not reached auction house levels. However, there are a few passionate collectors who would pay well for these items. They will find you on e-bay …especially if you post the auction info here.

T

I sent this PM....

Do you still have these items?
If so I don't know if you can send photos or not.
I could come and see them as well I live in Columbus Ohio.
Let me know and good luck.
John

About one week ago, and it has not been opened.
When I first saw this I thought it a hoax.

I get a few hoax pms now and then and have found that many times
when it's a new poster that just signed up it often is false.

This kind of thing brings joy to small people who have lots of time on their hands.
Would be nice if TC could weed out or have a way to block or catch these false

Beside the fact that the new mugs lots of times sell for more than that first gen Kahiki Hoffman crap
from 1962.

The Lunatics Have surely Taken Over The Asylum!

Tikiskip,

Hopefully the person will check back on the PM and you get to see the pieces. In the mean time, here is a little nugget to help with your Kahiki fix:

A Kahiki Clam-shell Ashtray.

Tada.

DC

T

NICE!
Never seen that before.
On one hand it looks like the really old.
But then it looks kinda like the newer stuff as well.
Odd.

The "kahiki" in this ash tray has that same style writing of old.
But the early stuff had like one glaze or two, brown and teal in the center of mugs.

I'm finding old Kahiki first gen stuff more and more now in the wild.

U

The ashtray Dc posted is from time period of Michael Tsao ownership.

Thanks for the info on that ashtray, I've never seen that one before.

The person with the Hi Tiki items may be bringing it to the record convention this weekend to get my advice on them. I will have a table set up this weekend in Columbus if anyone wants to stop by. I'll have Kahiki books too! :)

Hopefully, I can take a few pictures and document what they have before they sell them. Heard they are prototypes and they are signed as well.

I will report back!

T

"I can take a few pictures and document what they have before they sell them"

Why don't you just show them to us after you buy them?

I wish!!! The thought did cross my mind though! :wink:

T

Well good luck.
How did you get ahold of MARGOGRAM Jeff?

I recently purchased this HiTiki Cannibal piece. Anyone know If the Cannibal tikis were sold at Kahiki?

Wow. There needs to be a Hitiki thread. Is there one? Love all this Kahiki stuff popping up!!

Have NO idea if these were ever sold inside the Beachcomber Gift Shop but damn, that is one awesome Hi Tiki Cannibal!!!!!

Nice find!!

T

On 2014-12-12 07:53, Jeff Central wrote:
The person with the Hi Tiki items may be bringing it to the record convention this weekend to get my advice on them. I will have a table set up this weekend in Columbus.

Hopefully, I can take a few pictures and document what they have before they sell them. Heard they are prototypes and they are signed as well.

I will report back!

So what did you find Jeff?
Don't leave us hanging.

Nothing! They never showed up!! :(

T

Yeah that's what I thought would happen.
Found it odd that they responded to you but never opened my PM or
even responded to this thread.
Plus would bet they got many PMs from TC.

Well if they do hit Ebay you know we all will in time hear about it
here on Tiki Central.

º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ºº¤ø,¸¸,:MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM TIKISKIP!!:º¤ø,¸¸ø¤ºº¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º

People outside of Tiki that happen upon items that seem to be of value Tiki crowd are a often fearful that they have this treasure that folks here are underpricing to then make a mint of themselves. They don't know how small the circle of rich collectors really is, and believe they have found an Antiques Roadshow treasure. It's understandable, but makes it difficult to communicate.

Or, Kohalacharms got to them and made them an offer they couldn't refuse :D

T

"Or, Kohalacharms got to them and made them an offer they couldn't refuse"

HA! That's one even I did not think of.
Could be, But to not even respond or open other PMs makes no sense.
Ya know he's trying to make all he can, if he is in fact real.

Still say hoax, Have you ever noticed there are no bogus postings during Clown Conventions.

On 2014-12-15 14:28, bigbrotiki wrote:
People outside of Tiki that happen upon items that seem to be of value Tiki crowd are a often fearful that they have this treasure that folks here are underpricing to then make a mint of themselves. They don't know how small the circle of rich collectors really is, and believe they have found an Antiques Roadshow treasure. It's understandable, but makes it difficult to communicate.

Or, Kohalacharms got to them and made them an offer they couldn't refuse :D

Et tu, Brute?

T

Found this on the net.
Don't know if it's good or really Kahiki, but thought I would put it here and find out later.

The Kahiki’s Beef Ka Tiki

The Kahiki opened in 1960 in Columbus, Ohio, and was an immediate success. This recipe was published in a professional restaurant journal in 1963. Personally, I wouldn’t be too enthusiastic about the idea of boiling beef – or the catsup – or the sugar – or the cornstarch …

kahiki1½ lb lean beef, cut crossgrain and sliced
1½ lb chopped tomatoes
1 lb precooked green pepper, chopped
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 cup tomato catsup
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
½ tsp seasoning powder
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in ½ cup water
Saute onion, garlic, meat in skillet. Add green pepper, tomato, celery, cornstarch mixture, catsup, soy sauce, salt, sugar, and seasoning. Bring to boil. Simmer until the water has been absorbed and the mixture thickened. Makes 4 servings.

T

More recipes from local paper 1969.

MAIN COURSE
CHICKEN PINEAPPLE KAHIKI
Wednesday, August 25, 2010
For Barb Jean Jolliff, Logan
Makes 2 servings

This recipe was in The Dispatch originally in 1969, supposedly from the executive chef at the Kahiki.
1 ripe pineapple
2 chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 tablespoon wine
1 1/2 cups water
1 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
Pinch of ground ginger
Pinch of garlic powder
1 teaspoon cornstarch
Cut the pineapple in half lengthwise. Cut the fruit from the shell, leaving 1/2-inch pineapple in the shell. Dice the fruit into 1/2-inch pieces. Discard the core.

Cook the meat and wine in a large deep skillet until browned. Add 1 cup water, diced pineapple and green pepper to skillet. Mix remaining water with sugar, vinegar, ketchup, ginger and garlic powder. Add to skillet. Place the two pineapple halves cut-side down over the mixture. Cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer pineapple shells to plates.

Mix cornstarch with a little water. Add to skillet. Cook until juices are thickened. Serve in pineapple shells.

Megan Galajda, Columbus

Editor’s note: Thanks to all who sent in this recipe.

T

Recipe from 1971.

APPETIZER
KAHIKI’S SHRIMP POLYNESIAN
Wednesday, May 04, 2011
For C.K., Sidney

This recipe is from a book called All-Time Favorite Recipes from 1971.
Sauce:
1 cup ketchup
1 cup chili sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Shrimp:
1 cup flour
1 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
Pinch of sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
Milk
Water
Vegetable oil for frying
Shrimp, peeled, deveined
To make sauce: Combine all ingredients.

To make shrimp: Combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, sugar and eggs. Add equal amounts of milk and water to make a batter the consistency of pancake batter.

Pour enough oil into a heavy large pot to reach a depth of 3 inches. Heat to 350 degrees.

Split the body of the shrimp and open. Dip in batter. Add to hot oil. Fry to golden brown. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain.

Serve shrimp with sauce.

Joanne White, Columbus

JAI LAI RESTAURANT HERB BUTTER
1 pound butter
4 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried chives
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried tarragon

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2014-12-28 15:58 ]

T

Q&A With the Authors of “Kahiki Supper Club: A Polynesian Paradise in Columbus”

By Jill Moorhead
From the Columbus Monthly magazine December 2014 edition

Book Excerpt: Back to the Kahiki

Writing about Columbus history is a family affair for father-daughter team David Meyers and Elise Meyers Walker. Together, the two have covered the Ohio Penitentiary and the one-time heart of downtown Columbus, the Lazarus store. In their newest collaboration, the pair has teamed up with Kahiki enthusiasts Jeff Chenault and Doug Motz to bring another institution back to life.

Why write about the Kahiki?

Elise: For our previous book, we found that everyone has a Lazarus story. We were looking for something in that vein.

David: Several days a week, I go to the main library Downtown. Doug Motz was managing the gift shop and said we should [write about] the Kahiki. Then Jeff [Chenault] would come see us when doing book signings. He said that we should do a book about Kahiki and introduced us to the Fraternal Order of Moai.

Elise: We’re tourists in this Kahiki world. They’re living it.

Can you share any personal memories?

Elise: One of the pictures in the book is from my 10th birthday. This would have been 1993, after [original owner] Bill Sapp sold it. I distinctly remember wanting to go there for my birthday and loving it.

It was a tiki bar that appealed to children, too.

Elise: Kahiki had birds, fish, a rainforest and a kids’ menu. There are a number of pictures in the book of Bill Sapp’s daughter when she was young.

David: We had a story of another girl whose parents went late in the evening, and she would sleep up in the offices.

Who worked at the Kahiki?

David: Kahiki was reflective of the community at the time. The female staff that came to work there were the brides of service men.

Elise: People from a number of different countries were trying to pass off as Polynesians. There were a lot of Cuban refugees.

David: In the book, we reproduce an application for a job. It’s as simple as it gets.

Elise: It’s a file card: name, age, uniform size and when you’re ready to work.

Let’s talk about tiki mugs. The Kahiki made its own pottery?

Elise: Bill Sapp’s wife, Marcy, started out designing the pottery. It was loosely based on stuff they’d seen when they were traveling.

David: She was a model, but she was also an artist. She took it upon herself to design it all. They were going to have the mystery bowls made in Mexico and shipped here. They all arrived broken, so she just started making them in the basement in the Kahiki. When it was beyond her ability, they contracted out to a local company. When Bill Sapp sold his interest in the restaurant, he didn’t keep any of that stuff. There are collectors of tiki ceramics, and all the stuff that’s out there, it’s all hot.

Elise: It’s all stolen. There was no legal sale.

Did you interact at all with Kahiki (frozen) Foods?

David: We had contact with Michael Tsao, the last owner of the restaurant. We were in touch with their sons. They were interested, but then not. Kahiki Foods is owned by a holding company in Pittsburgh. The company decided to make the break.

Elise: There’s always resentment for the last owner of something. It’s like what we’re seeing at Olympic [Swim Club]. The community lashes out because it’s historic, even when they can’t keep the building afloat. Kahiki was a large building with a lot of maintenance.

David: And most importantly, Kahiki hadn’t turned a profit, so they didn’t have the money to stay open. As much as he wanted to, there wasn’t community support from politicians, and [Tsao] didn’t have the money to do it anyway. And then he died. Any hope of reopening died with him.

"There are collectors of tiki ceramics, and all the stuff that’s out there, it’s all hot.

Elise: It’s all stolen. There was no legal sale."

See that's does not sound right as in very early photo's of the gift shop you can see mugs
even table lamps for sale.
But then this is a case of people who are writers looking for a subject to write about
and not writing about a true love or interest they have/had.

But then this Q and A is with David Meyers and Elise Meyers not Jeff.
I think Jeff would have known better than that.

Plus I knew once I put the name of my restaurant on my ashtrays that they would
be stolen.
Was more amazed at how long it took to get them all stolen.

But then THAT"S why you put your name on it so when it's out of your place you get
the advertising.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2014-12-28 19:23 ]

U

To clear up a few misconceptions regarding the comments by Elise were, in fact, quoted by both dad and Lee. I can't believe that anyone would think that because an article had the Kahiki name on it would make people think that the owners put it out for the purpose of someone stealing it. That's absurd.

What Elise was implying was the amount of plates, Compotes,Sterling Silver knives, forks, spoons,soup bowls, Idols Cast mugs, and the Mystery bowls were stripped by thieves and was not put out for advertisement in someone's home. The Blue Hurricane glasses were so expensive ($6.00 a glass in 1961)and stolen so fast that the Kahiki quit using a very unique and beautiful glass and it did not have the Kahiki name or emblem on it.

Yes, there were items sold in the gift shop such as the Port and Starboard Light glasses, but certainly not to the extent of the fine pieces that was presented to the customer.

The ashtrays and the Zombie mugs were made at the Kahiki and had the Kahiki name on it, but again, was not made or used for the customer to steal.

If a restaurant has a cheap, clear ashtray used by many businesses still does not give a person the right to assume it is acceptable to slip something that does not belong to them into their pocket or purse.

We actually caught some idiot trying to steal the 200 lb. ashtray urn that was sitting in the lobby.

Jeff was at the interview and was surprised by some of the stories of theft, robberies, and fights within the Kahiki as well as some of the other info that you will find by reading their book!

The book and stories are in fact the words of Bill Sapp and Lee Henry, two legacies
that did not embellish the stories but rather spoke from the heart and of their love of the Kahiki.

T

Saw that coming.

IT SAYS.

"and all the stuff that’s out there, it’s all hot."

Elise: "It’s all stolen. There was no legal sale."

It's ALL hot.
It's ALL stolen.
NO legal sale.
And what I said was...
"See that's does not sound right as in very early photo's of the gift shop you can see mugs
even table lamps for sale"

AND if none of it was for sale AND none got stolen then NONE would be out there today.
Because they would have slowly been broken by your staff.
AND since you have said that the family saved nothing from the Kahiki
then if not for the stealing of items like Idols Cast mugs and others there
would be none left.
The people who stole the stuff saved it and kept it well for all to have later.
Yes it was wrong.

When asked about my "cheap, clear ashtray" I gave them one even though I did not have the
huge mark up on my food as some restaurants.
But then I loved my place so that I kept a few ashtrays and even other stuff from my restaurant.

The Kahiki had a HUGE collection of tiki joint stuff like the Mai Kai bowl I had from the 60s
don't know where all that stuff came from and don't know where it is today.
That's who I bought it from, the Kahiki, after Mr. Taso died.

So the fact that some of these items walked out the door is why they live on today.

AND I said the writers did not have a true love or interest in Kahiki / tiki not Bill or Lee.

T

This is my old pal Soung.
He worked at the Kahiki for many years.

He's even in the video I gave you Umeone.
But I went to his Christmas party and he gave me some recipes, well we
traded, but they are old and even Xeroxed from the wall of the Kahiki.

Got a photo of them cuz when it's gone it's gone.
They say that Jim was the only one who could make the Navy Grog mix after Kay left at the Kahiki.
Plus when Jim made it the batch would last about one year.

U

Tikiskip,
We actually found your response very amusing. An owner of any business should be grateful for theft in order to preserve the name of an establishment is a good one. Yes, you didn't say grateful, I know.

The Kahiki name is loved and revered by any person that was in the Kahiki.

There was no reference to your restaurant or what you used, gave away or was stolen.

You are correct in the fact that 3 of the writers do not share in the tiki feelings as Jeff has. Jeff was in all of the interviews with most of the people that was providing info.

What Elise was referring to was the huge amount of theft that the Kahiki incurred.

WE are grateful to all 4 writers that brought the history of the Kahiki to its many followers.

Kahiki followers, please read the book and don't be distracted by a few comments.

T

On 2014-12-30 03:40, umeone wrote:
Tikiskip,
We actually found your response very amusing. An owner of any business should be grateful for theft in order to preserve the name of an establishment is a good one. Yes, you didn't say grateful, I know.

The Kahiki name is loved and revered by any person that was in the Kahiki.

There was no reference to your restaurant or what you used, gave away or was stolen.

You are correct in the fact that 3 of the writers do not share in the tiki feelings as Jeff has. Jeff was in all of the interviews with most of the people that was providing info.

What Elise was referring to was the huge amount of theft that the Kahiki incurred.

WE are grateful to all 4 writers that brought the history of the Kahiki to its many followers.

Kahiki followers, please read the book and don't be distracted by a few comments.

"An owner of any business should be grateful for theft in order to preserve the name of an establishment is a good one. Yes, you didn't say grateful"

Well not grateful, But you know that theft goes on at restaurants by staff and customers.
Heck you were a bartender you must have seen it, you never gave away drinks or saw other bartenders
do the same.
That's theft, bartenders give booze to their "best" customer (Read tipper) and he then turns it into
a tip for the bartender.
Wait staff does this with food.
Other workers just dive in your cash box and take a money bath at your expense.

While in the back the dishwasher is throwing away your silverware and smashing the dishware all
day long.

But you know it goes on and that's why you need to keep a watchful eye, the old joints, the ones who make money you will see the owner right by the cash register.
Plus it takes only one week, heck less to learn this.
So put out cool stuff in your place and hope it lasts and keep an eye out and know in time
it's going to be tossed out or broken or yes stolen.
That's why you put things like this in your food costs like rent and help, costs of goods.
But then being a person who ran a restaurant you know this.

I'm not condoning the thefts but the one good that came out of them is the preservation of the
very Kahiki items you and I seek.

"What Elise was referring to was the huge amount of theft that the Kahiki incurred"
Ok fine, but that's not what she said in this Q and A, and that's what I said in my post that you went off on.

I did go on the first interview Jeff did for Tiki mag and was lucky to talk to your dad at the HRHH
and a few other times.
Even have the first uncut article Jeff did for tiki mag with the notes I took.

U

THE END.

T

On 2014-12-30 06:35, umeone wrote:
THE END.

Not by a long shot,
All be it at a slower pace more and more stuff is unearthed, recipes, mugs, décor, ect.
Over the years the Kahiki tale will be told and added to, The Michael Tsao years have not been
talked about much.
Heck half the time I spell his name wrong.
But that is what's great about TC new info comes up and then the debate begins when the dust clears
you will find yourself at least closer to the truth.

Don't know if it really matters all this new info, but I think that is a good thing.

:)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 688 replies