Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

KAHIKI Columbus, ohio tiki bar restaurant. Lee Henry, The catalog

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 688 replies

Thanks Sven I hoped you would shed some light on this.
And I had not seen that thread before.
It was Jonpauls thread on books that led me to this book.
Also years ago when I went to a carving class Swanky put on
there were carvers there that had a few books on Oceanic arts
with them.
I knew at that time I wanted to get some books on the subject.
Saw this on the link you posted.
Quote:

So to sum it up----OA did not carve any large tiki's for the Mai Kai. Once we introduced Demetrio to Carter, Carter had some masks made from the New Guinea museum designs from the book Oceanic Art. When Carter moved to WestWood OA had many more patterns carved by Demetrio.

So Demetrio may have been the carver of the large board I have from the Kahiki.
This is why I say always sign your work.
Both OA and Bensons did work for the Kahiki.

And on the odd way this seem to fall into place for you on the book ect..
The same thing happend to me with the Kahiki, it's the reason I started the Kahiki thread.
Info and people and stuff just started poping up, Droped in my lap.
Not wanting this info ect to be lost I put it here.
Thanks for your help.

TIKISKIP: Maker of TIKI bar lighting, Let me make one for you.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-12-18 10:59 ]

On 2012-12-18 10:58, tikiskip wrote:
So Demetrio may have been the carver of the large board I have from the Kahiki.
This is why I say always sign your work.

Remember, all the medium sized wall carvings like the masks and shields and weapons, plus the smaller Tikis which came from O.A. were lathe-carved copies. Demetrio probably carved the hero, exactly copying the photo in the Oceanic Art book.

That book simply was THE best, readily available source of Oceanic designs for the Tiki carver in the late 50s, because A.) there were only one or two other art books out on the subject then, and B.), the photos in it were large and crisp, and showed a lot of detail. O.A. practically founded their business on it, and the Mai Kai, as we found out, took much of what is in and on its walls from those pages:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=26630&forum=1&start=15

Believe me, it was downright eery to find out (long AFTER I had written the book on the American pop version of Oceanic art) that this influential book had not only originated in my hometown, but from the home of a childhood friend of mine. Tiki works in strange ways indeed...

These last few comments are why I come to TC.

Thanks for the info Sven and Skip, and the old threads. I found a copy for $15, and am adding it to the collection. I'm very excited to see it first hand.

BK

Anyone have any updates on the fate of the fireplace?

HOK

Aloha Skip! Got this on ebay last year or so ?....Hitiki kavakava man. Was wondering if you ever saw this one there? When I received it , it had that old dust and soot finish and the seller was from Ohio. The person selling also sold 3 other pieces...1 Maori, 1 Cook Island and a Mayan calender looking one...

The prices ranged from $20 -150.... Any thoughts? Freddie

[ Edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2013-01-09 02:03 ]

T

Nice.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2013-01-09 05:33 ]

T

This is a post I just found here on TC.
It needs to be here as well so here it is.

Hi, new member here. I have the recipe for the Tahitian Mermaid, from the Kahiki. It was from on old Columbus Dispatch article.

2 6-ounce beef filets

1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

Filling

3 1/2 ounces crabmeat

3 1/2 ounces cream cheese

1/3 cup bread crumbs

1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco

1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

1/16 tablespoon lemon juice

1 tablespoon chopped onion

Combine the Filling ingredients. Set aside.

Butterfly the filets of beef (they will look like an open shell.) Season with 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, seasoning salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

Pan-fry the inner part of the steaks over high heat for 30 seconds. Stuff half of the filling into each steak and slightly close it. Pan-fry each side of the steaks on high heat for 1 minute.
Mickey Cheung, chef at the former Kahiki restaurant, provided the Ohio Department of Agriculture with this recipe for our 1998 Ohio's Heartland Cuisine cookbook. The 1/16 tablespoon lemon juice is an odd measurement, but that's what the recipe says. I have not tried this, but I understand that Mickey got rave reviews at the Ohio State Fair.

TIKISKIP: MakeLight&SellLight:MakeLight&SellLight:Repeat:

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2013-01-09 05:31 ]

T

On the fireplace work has been done i'm told but it's not done/up.
I would think that once it does go up all would know about it here.
Mine is not up but a new neighbor just moved in and he want to get it
fixed so maybe that will help, I'm stumped.

And I did see those on eBay HOUSE OF KU.
I think one of the auctions even said hey Tikiskip, Don't know the seller.
But I do not remember them from the Kahiki.
That is not to say they were never there, I do have a wall hanging from the Kahiki
that is made of plaster as well, it looks different than those.
Bill Sapp did say they went to mexico to get some of the decor.
Some of the items in old photos of the Kahiki show stuff I never saw there.
So who knows.
They look cool.

TIKISKIP lights worldwide, "over 200 made" next one to you.

HT

So wait, where did the fireplace go to? I know I read it at some point, but I forget.

T

The moai made it back safe with minimal damage to the back.I talked to the gas company today about lighting it up once again and they could not see there being a problem.I am also interested in bringing the fireplace to Hampton NH,but there is no way to move it without a crane and a semi with a flatbed.The fireplace is absolutely unbelievable to see in person.Thanks again to tikicat67.I would like to come up saturday to get the topknot.Maybe about the same time as last weekend.

So thats the other Moai( This was the one that sat on the right of the door of the Kahiki as you walked in)
Aways thought it was odd that I got the left wing tiki, and Greg got the Right wing.
I think the fireplace is in Vermont still.
Here is the link to the whole thread.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=36774&forum=12&start=30&hilite=kahiki fireplace

"Let TIKISKIP Yaba Daba Do" you a light......:)

HOK

Mahalo TikiSkip! Looks so darn Kool! :) Freddie

T

Here is a necklace from the Kahiki.
It was from the later years.
I hope Tipsy Mcstager AKA DSK designs
will post and shed some light as to when he made
these for the Kahiki, and how many ECT...
Also there were some knock offs made by the Tropical Bistro boys
and sold at their restaurant in many colors.
I even saw a bowl they had made, but they had only one of those.
Tried to get a bowl made for me and Tipsy but could not.
DSK made many cool items over the years and I have lots in my collection.
Gerat work David!!

¤(¯*•.(¯*•..TIKISKIP..•*´¯).•*´¯)¤

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

Thanks skip !! you forgot to post the kahiki refrigerator magnets that I also made for kahiki. Made a bunch of these in the late 90's up until they closed, hundreds of them. Their last order was placed just before the closing party because they wanted to have them on hand for souvenirs. I was considering doing a kahiki necklace roll-out and re-issue these again. Perhaps as a comemrative item, with new packaging label. we'll have to see.

• also, none of those addresses, phone #'s or websites in the photos apply anymore. if you need to contact me, you can do so through tiki central.

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2013-01-22 09:19 ]

Tipsy.
Are you responsible for Elviki?!

Love the necklaces.

On 2013-01-22 11:28, Hale Tiki wrote:
Tipsy.
Are you responsible for Elviki?!

Love the necklaces.

yes - i was working with the creator of the elviki character to produce elviki figures and such a few years ago. I made the resin cast elvikis.

HT

I'll be damnned. Never knew that. Just bought the Elviki a long, long time ago when I first started collecting. It's in a box somewhere, and will have a place at my home bar when it's done.
Thanks for the Tchotchke, Tipsy.

T

Here is a lighter I just saw sell on eBay.
Sold for $70.00 to um.... nevermind.
Cool with the box, Great shape.
photos lifted from eBay.

•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY from TIKISKIP! Now buy your lover a Light!!

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

HT

That looks like that was actually engraved and then filled with enamel, instead of just silk screened.

Man they don't make stuff like the used to.

Wow, found this Kahiki compote over the weekend and was surprised that it wasn't listed on ooga-mooga, and only one mention here, back in 2007 from an ebay listing.

Well, they really do exist. No maker markings though, and different than the Kon Tiki ones.

[ Edited by: Pittsburgh pauly 2013-05-20 10:41 ]

T

Nice find Pauly!!

So on the way to Hukilau 2013 Barb and I went along the back roads and old interstate roads
to get to and from the event.
This way we see antique stores and thrift shops ECT along the way, and all the cool old
places not touched by Starbuckification.
While we were on our way home through Zanesville Ohio we saw The Market House Inn.
It had those old rondelle windows like five of them.
See them here.
http://www.google.com/search?q=rondelle+glass+windows&rlz=1C2EODB_enUS533US533&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=SNu9UdRHj8PIAcqWgcgG&ved=0CDgQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=652
These windows are very costly and you don't see them often anymore.
We went inside to eat and check this place out only to find it had a nautical décor mixed with
an old English style, Like the Wine Cellar of old here in Columbus Ohio.
We walked about the place and even went downstairs and found this,
a plaque that said Coburn Morgan was one of the people who did the décor.
Well as we all know Mr. Morgan was the same guy who helped with the décor at the Kahiki
and at The Wine Cellar in Columbus Ohio.
Both of these restaurants were owned by Bill Sapp and Lee Henry.
I never saw a plaque like this in the Kahiki so I would guess
this was a job done after the Kahiki.
The Market House Inn is very old, so Mr. Coburns work must have been a redo of sorts.

Side note we were told by a shop owner to go to another place to eat, and even went to this
other place but when we got there at the last second we changed our minds and went to
The Market House Inn instead.
Kinda odd.

-==--==--==--==-Google "Tiki bar lights" To find TIKISKIP-==--==--==--==-

¦:-·:''"":·.-:¦:-**-:¦:-·:''"":·.-:¦

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2013-06-16 08:48 ]

Ha, you have a sixth sense about the Kahiki heritage by now, Skip. Thing is, these days even these kind of "Old World Charm" places are getting rare. Wouldn't it be cool if all the great theme places had plaques like that. Here's the one at the Aztec Hotel in Monrovia, LA:

T

Sven When we were at the Hukilau people would come up and ask what
is the Kahiki!
Dam has the tiki resurge gone so far that newbies need to be retaught
about the old stuff?
Saw some great old cool tiki items for sale at the Hukilau, the kind of stuff
that would be in your house Sven, When the vending was over THAT'S the stuff that
did not sell!
But time and time again you will see some kinda new say Kahiki item go for top dollar,
while a Hoffman mug goes for less.
THIS is the problem I fear for the new tiki bars, most of the new tiki people WANT the
new what we would call not so tiki vibe. (even some Hukilau and TC tiki people)
BUT when you post photos of your home people go ga, ga, I don't get it.
And the "Old World Charm" places were like what half of ALL restaurants and hotels, Maybe a bit less.
I don't get it, What does it say about a society that thinks Starbucks is awesome.

And yes it's ok to like what ya like in your own home.
But it's also ok to be on a site like this one and say your version of tiki is Starbuckie.
I tried to be nice there.
Rant over for now.

TIKISKIP: Maker of TIKI bar lighting, Let me make one for you.

I'm a huge fan of "Old world charm" as you called it. I find it hard to believe that people actually asked what the Kahiki was. That makes me sad. So much history, Tiki era and otherwise, is just destroyed these days to make "progress". One of the reasons I originally joined TC was because it seemed people were really trying to salvage the past so future generations would have an idea of what life was like then.

I really tend to focus on the older things. Lots of new stuff and artists are out there and some of it is truly wonderful, but my favorite is still the older items. I was fortunate enough to keep a lot of old items from the 50s and 60s and put into my home after my mother passed. Even things that I don't recall as a child just seem to give off a cool and positive vibe.

I'm a firm believer you should embrace the past and use the new and future as accessories to enhance it.

ok, enough rambling.

• Dale

Here are some old tourist slides that capture the a mid-century couple's magical visit to the Kahiki (from ebay).

DC

H

I think who ever took the pictures must have been a tiki loving person. Each picture is about the place and I love the last picture how she is holding up the menu for us.

T

Great pic's Dustycajun!
Thanks for posting.

Ok, here is a fun game.
Name the ten things in these photos that show us this is
a set of very early photos.
I think there are eleven really.

I could never name 10 things, but I know they removed the gardens to the left of the door to increase parking, but not sure when they did it. Obviously after these pics were taken.

• Dale

On 2013-06-20 12:16, Dustycajun wrote:
Here are some old tourist slides that capture the a mid-century couple's magical visit to the Kahiki (from ebay).

DC

did you buy those?

Also the sign. I don't remember seeing those bamboo letters.

T

"but I know they removed the gardens to the left of the door to increase parking"

Good call, and this is one of the ten.
I don't know when this was done but it was early on in the life of the Kahiki.

"Also the sign. I don't remember seeing those bamboo letters."

Yes, Yes, This is one too.
I would guess that these letters made of bamboo did not last a year or more.
Bamboo here in Ohio rots goes grey and ugly QUICK here, as you can see this bamboo
is still yellow even.

See any more people?

Déjà vu

ø"˜¯¯¨˜"ø"˜¯¯¨˜"ø"˜¯¯¨˜"ø"˜¯¯¨˜"ø"˜¯¯¨˜"ø"˜¯¯¨˜"ø"˜¯¯¨˜"ø"˜¯¯¨˜"ø"˜¯¯¨˜"ø"˜¯¯¨˜"ø"˜¯¯¨˜"ø

OGR

Great pics DC...did you get them?

Skip, Great guessing game as you are THE KAHIKI GURU (thanks for your passion) and your Kahiki Tiki eye is honed. I'll take a guess at a few....the bamboo rails out front and the early lamp shade? Thanks again, OGR

I did not get those photos, they went for some $$$ cash. Here are photos of the more modern sign without the bamboo.

DC

T

Thanks Or Got Rum, This Kahiki stuff seems to drop in my lap really.
And Dustycajun Thanks again those photos will help prove my point.

Good call Or Got Rum.
The same thing on the bamboo rail at the door at first it was real bamboo
And had no arch.
Later they were changed to arched metal structures and painted gold.
they are now in Vermont. (see photo #1)

And right again on the lamp shade,
This shade is from the first table lamp at the Kahiki made by Bill Sapps first wife.
The way I know for sure is at the last Kahiki sale I found two in a box tied together
as if there wanted to make a hanging light out of them.
And they can be seen in other photos as well. (see photo set #2)
Last photo has a Trader Vic's lamp base not Kahiki.

‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›•:TIKISKIP™:•:MAKES:•:FLOAT:•:LIGHTS:•‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›

‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›

T

I'm guessing one clue is the menu with the fireplace, which shows it before being repainted. Speaking of which, I never noticed that the entrance to the restaurant has the same shape as the mouth of the fireplace! (Better late than never.) :wink:

S

You can see one of the old Hitiki ashtrays in one pic. I am guessing the asian gals in those bikini tops went away pretty early on.

T

Also, the entrance fountain still has original paint job.

T

On 2013-06-24 09:14, Swanky wrote:
You can see one of the old Hitiki ashtrays in one pic. I am guessing the asian gals in those bikini tops went away pretty early on.

Well kind of Swanky, yes you got one with the ashtray BUT... the ashtray was made by Bill Sapps
first wife. See it here.
The little round dots were made with a pencil eraser.

And early on the lots of the staff came from Cuba as they were refugees.

"I'm guessing one clue is the menu with the fireplace, which shows it before being repainted. Speaking of which, I never noticed that the entrance to the restaurant has the same shape as the mouth of the fireplace! (Better late than never.)"

No on this one too, they did not change the menu as far as I know.
And that shape is on the entrance to the bar as well.

"Also, the entrance fountain still has original paint job."
Yes this is one of them.
They would put a substance in the water of the fountain to make it glow.
See the newer style of paint job here.

•:•:••:•:••:•:••:•:••:•:••:"If you do fine work you will never die":••:•:••:•:••:•:••:•:••:•:•
TIKISKIP

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

T

On 2013-06-20 12:16, Dustycajun wrote:

DC

If you just got here this is the game...

"Ok, here is a fun game.
Name the ten things in these photos that show us this is
a set of very early photos.
I think there are eleven really."

We have found Five so far.

¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸TIKISKIP,Lights,ECT¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸¨*•.¸¸

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

That coconut mug is very early?

Versus the more standard Kahiki mugs we have seen.

DC

While we are spelunking Kahiki photos, how about this one.

Web said this was a shot from the Kakiki, but I was never sure.

Then I went back and saw this addition on the thread which seems to confirm the genre.

Thoughts?

DC

Is that Ava Gardner?
and Mayan calenders?

HT

Dammit that fountain is gorgeous. Where's it at now?

T

On 2013-06-25 22:46, Dustycajun wrote:
While we are spelunking Kahiki photos, how about this one.

Web said this was a shot from the Kakiki, but I was never sure.

Then I went back and saw this addition on the thread which seems to confirm the genre.

Thoughts?

DC

Not Kahiki,
Looks like German beer on the table, Plus it looks like there may be one of
those polka chicks in the background in a polka chick outfit.
And then there are the Mayan calendars.
BUT, Bill Sapp did say they went to Mexico to get some of the décor for the Kahiki.
The mug does look like an older one, but I thought Hoffman and Bill Sapp wife made the first
mugs.

The fountain is at the Kahiki eggroll factory in Columbus Ohio.

Ok here's one the front doors are the old style very heavy metal style doors.
These doors had more of a medieval times look to them, as did the fish tank side
of the Kahiki.
They were replaced by these Glass framed type doors, don't
know when really, But the metal ones must have been very heavy thus one
would think that that doors came off of their hinges and making a need for a change.
The new and old doors are in Vermont

P
porco posted on Thu, Jun 27, 2013 8:53 AM

i'm guessing there's something with the background that gives something away. the gulf station, glick's, the houses/apartments across the street, etc...

not familiar with the area, so can't attest to what was when, but that's my guess.

AF

On 2013-06-27 08:24, tikiskip wrote:

Not Kahiki,
Looks like German beer on the table, Plus it looks like there may be one of
those polka chicks in the background in a polka chick outfit.

Polka chicks? I love Polka chicks! And Lowenbrau beer too! :)

T

On 2013-06-27 08:53, porco wrote:
i'm guessing there's something with the background that gives something away. the gulf station, glick's, the houses/apartments across the street, etc...

Yes this is one of the ten things that make these old photos.
After the Gulf and Glick's a Kroger grocery store went in.

Here's a couple of my Kahiki items, displayed witha refreshing gimlet.

HT

Note to self, go to eggroll factory.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 688 replies