Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

KAHIKI Columbus, ohio tiki bar restaurant. Lee Henry, The catalog

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 688 replies

T

On 2011-01-29 11:54, bigbrotiki wrote:
Yowza !!! Who got these !?

(that would be me....:D)

I was able to carefully remove the slides, scan them, do my best to color correct them, and then reseal them back in their original packaging. Thankfully there was only a metal staple at the bottom of the package holding in the slides.

The red drink on the far left of the frame is actually got dry ice fumes bubbling out of it.

It's hard to see it in this picture but there are a bunch of cherries stuck to the side of the pig that spell out "Kahiki!"

This is my favorite slide.

Tobor64,

WOW, those are great, thanks for taking the effort to scan and post them. I take it you don't have the other slide set that sold? The bar scene and the fireplace slide are the bomb.

DC

T

Unfortunately I wasn't aware of the auction for the other set until it was already over. Sure wish I could've snagged them, too.

Ah, Tobor64, you did a fine job! Thanks a million for scanning these. Brilliant!

X-L- ENT, I dare say! Look at that glorious mural! I used Mr. Ono's postcard already in my "Sound of Tiki" CD booklet, to illustrate my "Exotica music was a layered sound sensation for the ears like the tropical cocktails' tastes were on the tongue"-concept, but this one has got to go into a future book, please!

You did a stellar color restauration job, amazing what still can be pulled out of that magenta wash! I would bring down the brightness a little, and make it a tad warmer, maybe, like so:

(Though it is good to be sure that there are no art treasures hiding on the left side of the plant :))

Too bad I am not at home, where I could scan the slide I took at the Kahiki that shows that African mask -in a different location, that mural was long gone when I went there.

That helicopter shot makes the place almost look like a model, with the people getting out of the car, and the cars looking like train model size -and that line of people at the entrance, all Preiser figures! :wink:

Luckily I have the party table photo as a large size reversal film original. I'd like to point out that the luau pig on the table has the name "Kahiki" written on it in cocktail cherries!

AND I have a scan here of the tattered cover of the food industry magazine "Institutions-Magazine of Mass Feeding/Mass Housing" (what an attractive title!) from the O.A. archives that shows the full shot of the fireplace. Their article "Polynesian Extravaganzas- An increasingly popular craze" was the only piece of media coverage I ever came across that did a multi-page report about the phenomenon in its own day:

WOW!!! These are incredibly fantastic photos/slides!!

Thanks for taking the time to scan and color correct these.

Truly unseen Kahiki stuff here!!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

G

Terrific images and great restoration work, Tabor64! Since you have scanned the slides, I assume your scans are much higher resolution than what TC shows here. Would you possibly mind uploading your color-corrected scans somewhere that we might be able to download them? Rapidshare or something similar perhaps? Regardless, it's great to see these images. :D

• Rob

Here are some scans from my slide set. These are straight off the scanner with
no color adjustments. Enjoy!

Exotic Polynesian Drinks

Entrance

Outside Garden

Guardian of the Quiet Village

Sacrificial God

Kahiki Luau

Mystery Girl

Lights at Twilight

Tropical Fish

Awesome! Thanks Simon!!!!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

That's all great stuff!!
Thanks to all who have added to this thread.
Doing so helps us all see/remember all things Kahiki, it also keeps the Kahiki alive.
Here is a valentines gift for you all.
Don't remember where I got these but they must have come from the Dispatch in Col Ohio.
Maybe the Bistro boys? Who knows.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2014-04-16 17:07 ]

Cool, thanks skip!!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

T

Here is a box that housed a fire extinguisher in the Kahiki.
Got a few new things to show it all comes slower now.

Box of items from last sale.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-02-29 09:17 ]

T

Back in the day their were hunting and fishing clubs.
My dad was Known as the last of the big game hunters to some.
He came back with more stories than game really.
Here is one of the menus from one of the yearly dinners they would have.
The members would bring wild game back for the cooks at Darby Dan house to make
up each year.
This is how I got into the exotic world of tiki and it was a part of the mood
at the time of the old great tiki bars.
But then at that time many of the restaurants had themes back then, (English,Spanish,ECT...)

TIKISKIP: MakeLight&SellLight&MakeLight&SellLight:Repeat:

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-12-13 09:11 ]

T

More photos from stored Kahiki stuff.

T

Thought I should add this here.
This is Hakalugi post below.
I was at a store downtown and in the back talking with the owner
when the girl from the counter out front came back and said there
was a guy that wanted to talk to me, The plate on my car is Tikiskp.
He was with this group and wanted to talk about lighting.
Good luck Grass skirt!!!!!
Hope some of the info here can help as well.

Just saw where the FOM met with Liz Lessner on this bar, Well that means they won't work with me now
that's for sure.

Name:The Grass Skirt
Type:restaurant
Street:105 N. Grant Street
City:Columbus
State:OH
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
Opening Spring 2012

From article here:
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2011/10/volcanos-waterfalls-tiki-torches.html

The Grass Skirt seeks to revive the fire-and-tiki kitsch of tiki bars of yore with Polynesian fare and flair at 105 N. Grant Street in spring 2012. “We’re working on a volcano,” Lessner said. “We can’t promise it yet because it may not work.”

Also part of the South Pacific plans — steaming drinks, a waterfall, Spam, pineapples and maraschino cherries. “We all grew up loving the Kahiki,” she said of the once-popular Columbus restaurant that lives on as a frozen food brand. “We try to find niches. Our restaurant group goes for a fun vibe.” The venture includes the rest of the Columbus Food League team — Carmen Owens, Amy Brennick, Tim Lessner and Harold LaRue. One appeal of the old MadLab Theater and Gallery space was that it was a high-ceiling and open space — giving the business brain trust the freedom to be more creative, including not just the Polynesian decor but the ability to build the kitchen from scratch.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2011-12-24 16:05 ]

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-07-24 13:32 ]

S

On 2011-12-24 16:01, tikiskip wrote:
Thought I should add this here.
This is Hakalugi post below.
I was at a store downtown and in the back talking with the owner
when the girl from the counter out front came back and said there
was a guy that wanted to talk to me, The plate on my car is Tikiskp.
He was with this group and wanted to talk about lighting.
Good luck Grass skirt!!!!!
Hope some of the info here can help as well.

Name:The Grass Skirt
Type:restaurant
Street:105 N. Grant Street
City:Columbus
State:OH
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
Opening Spring 2012

From article here:
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2011/10/volcanos-waterfalls-tiki-torches.html

The Grass Skirt seeks to revive the fire-and-tiki kitsch of tiki bars of yore with Polynesian fare and flair at 105 N. Grant Street in spring 2012. “We’re working on a volcano,” Lessner said. “We can’t promise it yet because it may not work.”

Also part of the South Pacific plans — steaming drinks, a waterfall, Spam, pineapples and maraschino cherries. “We all grew up loving the Kahiki,” she said of the once-popular Columbus restaurant that lives on as a frozen food brand. “We try to find niches. Our restaurant group goes for a fun vibe.” The venture includes the rest of the Columbus Food League team — Carmen Owens, Amy Brennick, Tim Lessner and Harold LaRue. One appeal of the old MadLab Theater and Gallery space was that it was a high-ceiling and open space — giving the business brain trust the freedom to be more creative, including not just the Polynesian decor but the ability to build the kitchen from scratch.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2011-12-24 16:05 ]

That's great for you to approach them, I know that they do stick to local artists for decorations and I just know they will do a great job with it, and I cannot wait for restaurant to be open!!!! I'll live there, hehehe

Tikiskip,

Thanks for posting the pics of the stored Kahiki treasure.

Forgive me if I missed this earlier in this long thread, but where is ALL of that great Kahiki stuff stored? Is that all yours? What is its future?

And, here is a Kahiki Candle

DC

T

"That's great for you to approach them,"
Quote Spiked aka Lena light.

Wrong they approached me and asked about tiki bars lights.

Yes I'm sure the place will be wall to wall with fezs.
And your lights.

Hey DC,
That holder is a newer item I think, As in the Taso years.
It was made by Marrio Tores may not be spelled right.
On the Kahiki stuff, I do have a good bit of it.
But most of it went To Vermont.
I was going to go in with some folks and buy the rest of the stuff but when I started
thinking well I want that and maybe those I could see that that was the same stuff they would want.
In helping move the stuff one person even thought I was trying to take an item from them. (Not Greg)
So it was all F%$# up, Green eyed monster and all.
Later one person thought that person stole from them Not me this time.
So who the heck knows where that all is now, I got ideas but should not say much now.
I do want to say Greg from Vermont is a fine person even if he is a miss guided left wing liberal.

[ Edited by tikiskip on 2022-12-16 06:56:54 ]

T

So I guess part of the story can be told now.
Back in Aug 2006 a lady posted this right here on page #3.

"We have all of the items from the Kahiki that have been in our storage for a proposed new Kahiki. The present Kahiki Co. has ordered us to dispose of these items, which include the large Tiki God from the fireplace, the 2 smaller Tiki Gods which flanked the front door, the bar, the booth separators, the 7' diameter ships steering wheel, the metal sculpture from the top of the building, etc.

If anyone is interested in purchasing items, please contact us, as they will be available in about 2 weeks, when we finish sorting and have them ready for viewing, by appointment."

So I got with this person and said I was inrested she showed me the stuff and I told her I wanted to buy some Items.
But she wanted to sell all of it a once I told her that may be hard to do, So she was going to have a sale then she was not going to have a sale. So I got what I could before too many people came and the frenzy would start.(4 items)
At this time the Vermont people were here doing the book thing and Mrs Taso said they could have the Big stuff that was in the same warehouse as the other stuff, so now we were going to try to get the stuff.
In trying to talk the lady down in price I said if this stuff was in Cali you could get more, Dumb move.
So she gets on line here and starts PMing people she thought may want said stuff.
By what the lady told me I guessed who the Cali pepole were and PMed one of them, I am gald I did as she is a great person and I'm glad I know her.
Well they were flying in and the price goes up Thousands.
One of the Cali buyers gets here and says we don't want the stuff and leaves.
Well by this time I had told Vermont I was out and did not want in, plus one vermonter had said we will pay whatever it takes to get the stuff, Dumb move.
So here I am in this warehouse trying to leave so I can call Vermont and tell them the price of tiki just went down.
But the lady is badly trying to keep me there so I won't call them.
When I leave I race home, I don't have a cell phone and call Vermont, No answer, Then I call her at work and tell the news.
Vermont and lady go back and forth on the price and the lady even tells Vermont that she was tempted to throw me out of the warehouse that day, But on that day I was Ladys best friend till Cali left.
So Vermont wins they get all the stuff, It takes many trips to get the stuff and Greg stays with us a few times and I help as best I can with moving the stuff even called in some help.
Greg was kind and gave the helpers a few things.
After all was said and done and people find out about the deal they are now pissed at me for not saying hey this lady is selling tiki come and drive the price up.
Vermont gave me the Moai from the Kahiki really, they had been good to me, so I was glad to help em.
I know the whole hey it's the Kahiki the stuff should say here bla, bla, bla.
The thing is it needs to be saved and used somewear. ( Cali would have been the best option)

So I say here and now people with all of the Kahiki stuff keep some for yourself, but get this stuff to a better place.
I too have been slowly getting rid of some of mine, It's hard to part with really.

PS If you are one of the people in this story and I got something wrong feel free to post it here it was some time ago, Not you warehouse lady as you are NUTZ! Oh go ahead it would be fun to hear your nutty take on the whole deal and how you thought you were going to make MILLONS on the great Kahiki sale.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-09-12 16:28 ]

T

Can it be?
Is this a new item from the Kahiki to add here.
This weekends find.

MH

On 2011-12-24 15:35, tikiskip wrote:
Back in the day their were hunting and fishing clubs.
My dad was Known as the last of the big game hunters to some.
He came back with more stories than game really.
Here is one of the menus from one of the yearly dinners they would have.
The members would bring wild game back for the cooks at Darby Dan house to make
up each year.
This is how I got into the exotic world of tiki and it was a part of the mood
at the time of the old great tiki bars.
But then at that time many of the restaurants had themes back then, (English,Spanish,ECT...)

I'm digging this because #1 - it's just too damn cool... #2 - that's the week I was born :)

Thanks Matt!
More on Headhunters later.

Found one more Kahiki item never seen this before.
My wife found this necklace.
It looks to be the same size as the swizzle sticks
But... the Raised Kahiki on the back is not in the same place as the Swizzles is.

As I looked at the Kahiki swizzle sticks I thought I saw somthing I
have seen before.
So I went and checked out my Trader Vic paddle Swizzle stick.
And there it was, I was right the bottoms of the paddles are the same,
well one is bigger, but the patterns on the paddles are the same.
The Kahiki stick is on the right.
So who copied who?

I just became a tiki geek.
True geek that I am I am going back over this
thread and reposting photos that are gone and
even adding more in the right places.
So you may want to go back some day and take a look there is
some new stuff.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-02-23 16:37 ]

T

Kahiki add from the Dispatch Columbus, Ohio.(4/12/2000)
And a cool veiw inside the Kahiki.
I have the very large yellow float light in this photo.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-02-29 09:28 ]

T

Here is Sam.

T

Some of you may not know this but this is what we got in place of the great Kahiki.
I do not shop Walgreens as they do this all the time find cool old places, buy em tear them
down then put up their store.
I guess they think if you are used to going there it will help that store sell more, who knows.
Got some new tidbits about the Kahiki coming soon.

TIKISKIP: MakeLight&SellLight&MakeLight&SellLight:Repeat:

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-12-13 09:11 ]

i have one on the card that was a rare find along with some cloth dinner napkins

T

Nice.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-05-30 06:31 ]

Can we see a close up of that "Kahiki Tiki" cardboard backing, please?

i'll post some more pictures after dinner tonight :)

That's a long dinner! :wink:

I am still hopeful that eventually a closer shot of the necklace will appear here... :)

On 2012-05-19 06:27, bigbrotiki wrote:
Can we see a close up of that "Kahiki Tiki" cardboard backing, please?

On 2012-05-18 17:23, The Witch Doctor wrote:
i have one on the card that was a rare find along with some cloth dinner napkins

i'll try to take some with my good camera tonight...hope this will work for now

T

On 2011-01-31 02:30, bigbrotiki wrote:

Just found out that this photo was taken at the Kahikis back service bar.
This would have been on the right of the room as you walked into the main dinning room
3/4 of the way back near the kitchen.

T

Here is the Top restaurant Bill Sapp and Lee Henrys First restaurant.
Bill said they paid it off in only one year!
They do not own it at this time.
It is still open today.
Cool, old Vegas vibe.

Just found these under my pool table.
Got so much I don't know what I got or where it is.
The larger of the two is 25 inches wide.
A 21 inch shell like this just sold at a Trader Vic's auction(Chicago)for $1,800. 8/21/2012

T

Below is from a Ebay sale, And on this sale it says it's from the Dispatch.
But it is a good edited summary of the Kahiki.
Plus I can add some small stuff to it.
Like the very first day of the Kahiki.

This great mini Tiki reminded many patrons of a wonderful adventure in eating at this legendary Columbus restaurant. I remember going there a number of times for special occasions (usually a birthday) and it was always a real adventure.

It measures 4.75" T x 1.5" W x 2" D.

It is in Very Good Condition with a green line on the lower left side.

I have other Kahiki items for sale and I will be happy to combine items to save on shipping.

10 years after torches go out, Kahiki memories live
Restaurant with Polynesian theme has devoted fans
Wednesday, August 25, 2010
By Elizabeth Gibson
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

No restaurant with a fire-breathing stone head has ever captured the hearts of Columbus quite like the Kahiki.

The Polynesian eatery took Tiki kitsch to the max with an aviary, indoor thatch huts, umbrella-topped drinks, waterfalls and the deep thrum of drums.
Ten years ago today, the Kahiki closed its doors to make way for a Walgreens pharmacy. The Kahiki name lives on in a Gahanna-based frozen-food company, but company President Alan Hoover says he still gets calls about the restaurant.
"Two months ago, I was leaving the office in the evening and a couple was walking up the front walkway," he said. "I asked if I could help them, and they said, 'Yes, we'd like to have dinner tonight.'

"It's amazing that these things are still happening."

The Kahiki, at 3583 E. Broad St., was the brainchild of Bill Sapp and Lee Henry, also the creators of the Top Steak House near Bexley. Their temple of Tiki opened in 1961 after their Tiki bar, the Grass Shack, burned down.
They built the Kahiki for more than $1 million (about $7.3 million today). Sapp said they sold it to help them finance a new restaurant, the Wine Cellar, also long gone now.

"We were sorry within two weeks that we sold it," he said. "We had this great big gong, like 4 to 5 feet across, that went bong, and right after we sold it they replaced it with this little thing that went ting."
The restaurant went through multiple owners. The last was Michael Tsao, who started the frozen-food business and sold the property to Walgreens. Hoover said it was a smart business move. The restaurant was draining, and Tsao wanted more time to focus on expanding the factory.

Tsao's son Jeff said that before his father unloaded the restaurant he had grand dreams for relocating the Kahiki to the riverfront Downtown. But it never panned out because the factory got busy and government support fell short. Then his father died unexpectedly.

"I don't know if it could ever happen again," Jeff Tsao said. "But we're very, very pleased and thankful that we still have so many fans."

But that doesn't necessarily soften the blow.

"I think a lot of people are still bitter about it. We all miss it," said Stu Koblentz, who was a member of the Ohio Preservation Alliance when the organization labeled the Kahiki one of the top 10 endangered historic buildings in Ohio.
Kahiki fans say the restaurant was a place for special occasions and fond memories.
There are dozens of active Kahiki tribute websites and discussion boards. There are photo albums on Central dot org full of Kahiki swag - drink stirrers, napkins, toothpicks, salt shakers and matchbooks.

Tiki enthusiasts write books and poetry about the restaurant. Columbus resident Jeff Chenault unearthed a 1965 recording of the Beachcomber Trio at the Kahiki.
Dionysus Records produced vinyl copies for sale online, and they're selling.
Other Ohioans remember a prom night, an anniversary getaway, playing table games in the basement or bouncing with excitement as a child, sipping virgin mixed drinks and roasting meatballs over an open flame. Zsa Zsa Gabor famously ordered milk.
"When I was a kid and we'd drive by the huge sloping roof with dragons and torches, it always seemed to me to be a grounded ship on E. Broad Street," Newark resident Lesa Best said in an e-mail.

"There were macaws in the bar, and the booth walls were lined with aquariums, or 'rain forests' complete with thunderous sound effects. By the '80s, it was past its prime, definitely, and cheesy? Yes it was. But my friends and family loved going because it was different, it was campy and the food was really quite good.
"I long for just one more Mystery Drink."

Each time someone made a pilgrimage to the Kahiki, they would take word back to their hometowns.

"When I was a kid growing up in Pittsburgh, my dad regularly traveled to Columbus on business," said Worthington resident Bill Nordquist. "We had a postcard picture of the exterior, and in the mid-1970s I had never seen anything like that."
Even some people who never went to the Kahiki said they were dismayed to hear it would be torn down.

Jennifer Akers grew up nearby and begged her parents to take her there for her birthday. They told her the Kahiki wasn't in the budget for a family of six, so she never set a foot inside.

But when she heard the Kahiki was auctioning off its wares, she had her chance. Now she owns a copy of its blueprints.

"I spent hours and lots of dollars buying treasure," she said. "I have boxes of menus, match boxes, napkins, cups. I have the boss' couch right out of his office."
New Yorker Frank Decaro flew to Columbus when he heard the Kahiki was closing. Ten years later, he still can't believe they tore it down.

"At the point when the last great Tiki bar closes, someone will open a new one and everyone will say these are great," he said. "It's a shame we always seem to realize too late how much things mean to us."

Timeline
1961 |(Feb 20th 1961 First day open) Bill Sapp and Lee Henry open the Kahiki after their Tiki bar, (the Grass Shack, burns down.(On Bill Sapp's birthday June 14th 1959 a Sunday) Mr Sapps year of birth?
Kahiki means "a joyous voyage to Tahiti" Citizens Journal Thursday March 23 1961, "Splendor of the tropics is setting at Kahiki"(artical name)

1970's | Moai out front are not lit from an order from the City of Columbus because of the 70's energy crisis.

1988 | After a slew of owners (Mitch Boyce), Michael Tsao buys out his partner and takes over the restaurant.

1995 | Tsao starts a frozen-food company next door to the restaurant.

1997 | The Kahiki is put on the National Register of Historic Places, And is the only tiki type place
on this list.

April 17, 2000 | Walgreens confirms that it wants to build a store where the Kahiki sits.

June 30, 2000 | Tsao says that he will sell the Kahiki to Walgreens but never reveals how much money it took.

July 2000 | Tikiskip hears on radio Kahiki is closing, calls Skip davis at Kahiki, no employees know of this news. Michael Tsao is in Hawaii at this time.

Aug. 25, 2000 | The Kahiki closes its doors before a private farewell party put on by Otto von Stroheim And Tiki news, Tickets are $100.00 each, the event sells out.

July 22, 2005 | Michael Tsao unexpectedly dies 10 weeks after the realization of his dream of moving the company into a bigger factory. The company is in debt and in mourning.

Nov. 15, 2005 | The Kahiki outlet store starts selling off the rest of their stuff. Mostly lights. 11/15/05

Sept 28, 2006 | Kahiki items in a warehouse go on sale, One moai and fireplace go to Vermont. The other Moai is in norwitch township in Ohio. The rest and last of Kahiki items go to Vermont as well.

2006 | A group of former Kahiki employees (Theang&seong), With Francis Llacuna a hawaiian born guitarist as entertainment ) opens a restaurant called Tropical Bistro,It closes on January 27 2008.

May 2007 | A Pittsburgh company buys Kahiki for $11.7 million, although the factory stays in Gahanna.

2010 | The company makes almost $50 million in sales a year and sells 70 products in groceries across the country. President Alan Hoover said it still makes many of the dishes from the Kahiki menu.

2010 Nov,27 | Vermont Moai is sold on ebay, Now the Moai will be living on the beach in Hampton, Mass.

2012 Sept, | The DVD of Tiki - Vol. 1 // Finally for sale, DIRECTED BY JOCHEN HIRSCHFELD & SCHLANGO With scenes taken by Tikiskip of the destruction of the Kahiki.

2013 Oct, The authors David Myers, Elise Myers, Jeff Chenault and Doug Motz release a book on the history of the Kahiki Supper Club being published by History Press.

2015 Sept 22, Lee Henry passes away.

Source: Dispatch archives And other.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2015-01-29 07:46 ]

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2015-09-29 06:24 ]

T

Here is an artical from the Citizen Journal Mar 23, 1961

T

Thanks for posting that.
I did see it, not much new there.
Looks like he read Dispatch reporter Elizabeth Gibsons article on the Kahiki and came to TC.
Heck I told her that information.
For the life of me I don't know why they don't go to Lee Henry, Bill Sapp, Sondro, Skip davis ECT...
and do some reporting, write something new.
These guys are right here and very approachable, (well Sondro can be grochy I heard)
Man do some reporting.
I first met Bill at a tiki event here, and No one was takin to him, My wife and I went right
up sat down and talked for hours, it was great.
And That day where Barb and I talked to Bill is where most of these articles are written from.
In fact that new articel has mistakes.
"The trio players were Bob Chalfant on piano, Henry Burch on Vibraphone, conga, bells and trumpet, and Marsh Padillo on guitar, flute and percussion. In 1965, they cut a record and it was recently re-released in vinyl by Dionysous Records"
As we all know this was not a re-released record but made from a lost tape.

TIKISKIP lights worldwide, "over 200 made" next one to you.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-12-12 12:54 ]

Yeah, Jeff pointed that out over on FOM...

"Nice article even though the information is a little misleading. At least when it comes to the Beachcomber Trio album. Not sure where he got those names but the musicians on the Beachcomber Trio album were Marsh Padilla, John Dragu, and John Hale. Also, the Beachcomber Trio album was NOT a reissue!! It was a new release from a "lost" tape that was discovered in 2010. Trust me I know, I released it!!!!!" ~ Jeff Chenault

Tikiskip,

Really appreciate this thread. I spotted this souvenir Tiki moai from the Kahiki gift shop. Lice little piece.

Don;t remember seeing this one before.

DC

True, that is an interesting version of a Jack Hite Kahiki souvenir Moai! I have this kind:

T

Thanks DC.
A handful of people will get pissed when I say this, but those are old and rare
I think.
I'm no expert on the Kahiki but have lived near it my whole life and went there off and on
my whole life.
So I can say I never saw those in the gift shop or even anywhere till now.
Would guess those to be early Sapp, Henry era.

Lastly some get angry when I say items are old Kahiki as they don't want others
to know so they would have a better chance at finding these items, Maybe.
I would say that Tiki news, Book of tiki, Tiki Quest and Oooga Mooga ECT...
helps the collecting and yes drives up the price of tiki.
Good Bad? depends if you are now in collecting or selling mode.
But at this time I'm in more of a fact finding mode, one that just says hay look at this
cool thing from the Kahiki.
This is one reason I feel Kahiki items are so highly collected first they had so many
made by so may people lots of these are one offs or very few made items.
How many places had three different mug makers, or even lasted long enough for three mug makers.
Another reason is Kahiki was around so long people grew to love it.
Lastly I would say the fact that Kahiki items are well documented, you see the item, fall in
love with the item, must have the item.
All this make Kahiki sell high.
How many of you have a Tiki quest with post it notes on the mugs you want in it?

"Roses are red, these floats are blue, Send me some money and they belong to you"..."TIKISKIP"

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-12-12 13:37 ]

T

One more thing, Sven and Dustycajun I appreciate all the informative posts you add to TC.
And especially to this thread, after all if nobody adds to these threads ya don't have
much.
But together TC can document most if not all the tiki world has/had to offer.
Don't know what good can come of documenting all the tiki world is or was...
But we are going to do it and find out.

TIKISKIP lights worldwide, "over 200 made" next one to you.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-12-12 12:55 ]

OGR

I have to say your passion is genuine and I personally truly appreciate that...and I agree Sven and DC (and others) share the knowledge, that is the main reason I love TC....expose and inform what was and what is lost. :( My humble opinion. Keep fighting the fight. OGR

T

Thanks OGR!
Just got this book in the mail.
On Pg 15 is this carving.
At the last Kahiki sale I bought this carving.
Not the same one, but it does have more of a old look feel to it.
Makes me wonder who made this copy.
Was told by Bill Sapp that a lot of the Kahiki decor came from Mexico.

"Roses are red, these floats are blue, Send me some money and they belong to you"..."TIKISKIP"

Hi Skip, I don't know if you got this influential book BECAUSE you know the posts here about it, or if you didn't - so just to make sure, here again is my post regarding its influence on O.A., and the strange history it has regarding my own life story:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=42034&forum=1&vpost=621592

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 688 replies