Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Varnish Make Pretty

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 473 replies

Bobby peru, I've just been using water. Thank you, your suggestions are probably gonna help alot.
OZZie ozzie ozzie
oy oy oy!
PS
I love your beautiful city and the blue mountains.

ST

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-03-29 18:46 ]

Nice work on the black and whites ...Show us more!!

no worries mate.
yeah its not such a bad place to live, lacks a little Tiki though.

cheers
Bob

Thanks, Will do RT. The cheap digital camera just self destructed so I fear it may be a couple days..

Well, back to the project I was working on with the Maori creation story illustrations/wood block prints, got sidetracked looking at all the great art here and painting for fun.

Here is a picture of the cover I have been working on for the creation story book.

and here for your viewing pleasure (maybe) sum tiki stuff I was workin' on yesterday..

Here is some B and W art, not tiki, but definitely Exotica, this is a detail of part of a large linocut print I carved and printed. Kinda 2D cubism meets Nubia/Egypt..

Here are my best paintings ever!-- ha ha... found white lil chalkwear fruit at the thrift for 49 cents ea..

What do u do with broken dollar tree tikis? If the feet are broken off u can glue them back on, or bury them waist deep in a plant pot or garden, put them in an aquarium with the sharp parts buried in gravel, make a crazy assemblage piece out of a dozen or so, or go back to the dollar store for a frame, remove glass, put on burlap or whatever for background, and file feet so it looks like tiki is emerging from the back of the picture. Not anything special, but I just can't throw away this poor lil' Ki'i.

PS
I am changing the name of this topic to Creating Sneaky.

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-01 12:48 ]

L
Loki posted on Thu, Mar 30, 2006 4:55 AM

Sneaky,
You really are cranking out some good stuff. The creative juices must flow well around you. Keep it up. Always a pleasure checking in with your thread. What medium have you not tried?

Loki,

Thanks man! Are u named for the Norse god or another Loki? I remember evil Loki from Marvel comix "Thor"... I have some Viking kitsch in my office you might like. As far as mediums, I guess it's the ADD, can't sit still and as soon as I get decent at something I want to try somethin' else.

thx again,

ST

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-02-09 11:33 ]

Here is a picture of one of 2 fishing float lanterns I made recently;

Here is anuthuh pik-sure-- I need to take sum when it's dark out, lots of tikified lites recently went up in heyah up in heeyah!

and with the lights out, sunshine coming in tho...

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-03-30 15:09 ]

Colored lite bulbs can be expensive, so I paint lower watt bulbs with cheap acrylic paint (paints I threw out but then took out of trash cus I can't throw stuff away).

This Atomic/tiki swag made of wood and hemp like fiber has a customized yaller bulb in it.

Here is duh latest on my book cover above; I have carved out some more of the shape and changed colors a bit, still a work in progress..shutterfly didn't get the green right, it's actually the same colors as the green and brown in the 2nd image.

this is a page illustration from that book..

Thanks for looking.

ST

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-03-30 19:16 ]

Here is a book cover progress update, getting ready for text. Colors are still out of whack on shutterfly.

Thx

ST

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-03-30 23:18 ]

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-03-31 11:30 ]

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-04-01 14:06 ]

Here is a small round tiki tchotchke shelf I made out of an asian rice steamer I found at the thrift, just added a shelf and mounting. I was gonna make a real rattan one like those $2oo.oo one'z u c from the 40's, as per Gecko's suggestion about salvaging rattan rounds. Bought a rattan swivel rocker at the thrift with a stacked cylinder base of rattan rings for 30 bux but my fiancee wanted to keep the chair... go figger, she usually wants me to get rid of stuff. Anyway I found out those chairs sell new for 200 bux or more too. So I dunno if I'll ever deconstruct the sucker now. I bought a more vintage one recently (the first one was 80's-90's vintage) that is from the late 50's or probably 60's. Blah blah pttttttt! So now I have 2 swivel rockers an' no groovy shelf.

So make a rice steamer shelf, and put more clutter on it...

Here is a photoshopped detail of one of my wood dish/ acrylic paint/ cowry shell/ dentalium shell/ clam shell/ bike reflector/ shadow box tiki assemblages.

thx for looking.

ST

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-04-07 06:52 ]

Working on text..

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-04-21 23:15 ]

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-04-21 23:15 ]

I have a non tiki art topic called "beyond sneaky" up in Beyond tiki now. Other news; I just got the cover of the local independent newspaper, it's going to be my 1st published illustration so I'm kind of excited. I'll use the money to help pay my rent next month, I really needed that. I'll post the pix as soon as it's published the Thurs. before Easter. It will be in Beyond tiki too as it's some scarry bunny art. Pictures of my tiki still life painting will be added soon, it's a glass float on tapa with a copy of the Kon Tiki book, done in oils.

ST

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-04-07 08:33 ]

B

Really cool stuff Sneaky, where do you find the time to do all this ? Where ever it is, keep finding cuz it's really good stuf. I love the Steamer shelfand the next tiki thing is great..

Benz, I have time right now because I'm unemployed. Thanks for looking, and for your words of encouragement, they are much appreciated.

ST

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-04-09 22:10 ]

Here's a sketch i just did of one of my tiki figurines.

A picture of my Boise Weekly cover art is now up in Beyond tiki under beyond sneaky.

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-04-08 11:44 ]

Well here it is, my first published art work, this paper only has a circulation of 35,000 copies but it's a big deal for me as money is tight and starting a new career is scary.

Happy Easter.

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-04-14 23:14 ]

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-04-14 23:19 ]

This is the top half of a new "tiki" painting I've been dorking around with since December.

And a photo, finally of the tiki shelf made a week or two ago...also a great bunny face by my 7 year old daughter Sage.

I'd appreciate any feedback, suggestions, and criticisms, - or +. It's always a gift when someone tells u the truth about your art, even if it's negative.

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-02-03 22:33 ]

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-10 14:47 ]

H
hewey posted on Mon, Apr 17, 2006 3:57 AM

On 2006-04-17 01:17, Sneakytiki wrote:
I'd appreciate any feedback, suggestions, and criticisms, - or +. It's always a gift when someone tells u the truth about your art, even if it's negative.

Mate, some constructive feedback on this one for ya.

To me the artwork doesn't feel "united". The green tiki mask on the rock wall on the left looks awesome. The mask sucessfully uses darker colors to make shadows/depth, and has no outline. The rocks/stone has a nice textured feel and graduated shadowing.

But, some of the other elements to me don't seem to be in the same style. Compare the mask to the diver. He has a black outline and heavy black shadowing. To me it just doesn't jell. I think it would work better if the shadowing on the diver was in the same style as the mask and the rock wall.

The octopus in the background seems to be okay, the shadowing on the bricks perhaps a little dark? The fish are the same as the diver - too much black (unless the fish are supposed to be colored black, in which case I take back what I said about the fish).

It doesn't matter if you go for the heavy black shadowing and outlining, or blended shadows and no outline, just so long as it is consistent in the image.

Hope this helps. Aside from the technical aspects, I really like the piece so far and I am keen to see it progress.

Another use for dollartree trash baskets.. Lamp shades!

Found this green vintage Chinese girl lamp, painted the tiny chip on her and put a dollartree basket to good use.

with lamp on (sorry very cheap camera).

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-04-18 17:03 ]

Hewey,
thanx for the helpful suggestions, always appreciated.

ST

Here are some high res photos of my Rarotongan tiki painting in Acrylic with some new modifications and my first oil painting I did in 2004.

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-03-28 18:10 ]

Here is a painting done in 2003 in a very flat style.

[ Edited by: sneakytiki 2006-04-23 22:38 ]

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-09-27 13:18 ]

B

More excellent things from Sneakytiki, man you have THE Imagination, Love your painting and Love tha bamboo lampshade.

Benz,
thanks so much!

ST

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-01-27 17:13 ]

Here is a better pic of the Moai's Mai Tai Lounge painting Acrylic on plywood.

Self portrait from last week, oil on paper.

[ Edited by: sneakytiki 2008-05-16 05:29 ]

"warning of nudity" always gets my attention...nice wahine painting...and I like the others
too....I really like the lettering on the Moai painting...keep em coming. More "warnings
of nudity."

Thx Conga. Just trying new things like oil on paper and pastelles.

Okay, this time I'm really done with the wahine, thought the face needed some work..

Another fishing float I swaggered into a light.

Also got a couplah decent pix of Angry tiki Happy tiki wooden dish.

Hopefully those look better than the crummy scans I did a while back.

I have a few tiki items listed for sale on the tiki bay topic in the tiki marketplace forum. If interested check them out and PM me, thanks,

ST

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-04-26 18:24 ]

Here is a painting in oil on masonite. "Raptor Spirits" depicting an eagle and a falcon skull.

Here is another pastelle nude, it is the same model as the last pastelle. I'll have her pose 1 more time for me with a lei on to finish all the finer details. This is what I did today. I'll post a better pic. when the piece is finished.

[ Edited by: sneakytiki 2006-10-12 16:21 ]

All the work on this thread is for sale, if anyone is interested in it or a commisioned piece please pm me and I'll work out a very reasonable deal with you. Some of it is for sale at a consignment store but I can pick it up anytime so it's still avail. for me to sell privately.

Other news, I was just hired at a sign co. for the summer. Not my dream job but at least it's somewhat related.

Thanks for looking,
ST

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-01-27 17:04 ]

Here is a cropped image of the Tiki still life I'm working on.

Thx for looking.

ST

Great stuff Sneaky! Keep up the good work!

Thx hodahank!

B

Yes, Excellent stuff Sneaky, I Love the pastels you are doing.

Thx Benzart, u are as kind as u are talented, a true tiki ambassador.

ST

I recently went through a child custody battle with my munny-hungry ex, who lost, thank god. During that stretch of months I felt like I was dying inside and couldn't do any art, I'm now painting and drawing again and will contribute something shortly, I hope.

Aloha
ST

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-09-05 02:00 ]

[ Edited by: SNEAKYTIKI 2006-09-22 15:58 ]

Here is the original Miro painting..

Now back to working on my polynesian version.

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-09-05 11:37 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 473 replies