Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Varnish Make Pretty

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 473 replies

Thanx TG! Here are some daytime snaps..

F

You sure have a lot of doors. Very cool tiki, I had to laugh at the color comment, I could see the Dirt cover on Pandora when I erad it.

Thank you frosty! I buy the doors from thrift stores specifically for painting on, however i may have to mural up some interior doors for fun sometime.

PS DIRT rox!!

wow wow i just love the tiki door keep up the good work

Sneaky Goes BIG! REAL BIG!
Another great piece out the door,so to speak!
the bigun's is the funnest ones to paint!
Keep the mojo flowin! :D

Thanks Tiki Beat and LL TIKI-K!

sweet sneakytiki! awesome colors and rendering!

Thanks sub-pagan

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-08-26 03:10 ]

Some sketches: tikis, totems, and totally bizarre..

Self portrait with flesh and spirit masks:

Feather God, Hawaii, possibly Ku:

Man, Woman, and Creator:

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-09-07 10:35 ]

Cool stuff, Sneakytiki! That door is really a fine piece - it seems like something you might find in a vintage Chinese-Tiki restaurant - a real vintage look to it.

Hey! Thx SamGam!

That NW Poly Fusion Totem sketch is RAD! I love seeing the sketches of you arteests-it helps give some insight into how your thoughts/hand works...the Haida totem is looking great too! Way up in the colod cold North,they must've had a lot of time to think up and carve these incredible totems! Maybe we can rename you Scholartiki! :D

H
Heath posted on Fri, Sep 7, 2007 4:31 PM

Hey Sneaky!
These sketches bring to my mind Shel Silverstein.
Thanks for posting and putting a smile on my face!

Heath,

Thank you for putting a smile on my face!
Shel was one of the greats.
I really appreciate that comment.
ST

B

Excellent stuff Sneaky, I Always had suspicions of your sanity and now I can rest assured you are totally insane as is your stuff. "They're coming to take you away, Away". :lol:

Thanks Benz and LLT!

R

Waaah! I love your sketches Sneakytiki! And yer other artwork in previous posts! :D

The last five especially are awesome! @.@ even the laaaast one, you should paint that one out! ;O

Nui Mahalo Ravenne! :) :tiki:!

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Sep 24, 2007 5:33 PM

Long time no post! What's happenin?

Paipo, I can't post photos presently, but I have a few things in the works. I've been concentrating on the boring bidnezz side of things of late... will post pix soon, :tiki: on stoner!

PS
I'm enjoying my Pai-pebble immensely!

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-09-27 13:06 ]

[ Edited by: sneakytiki 2007-09-29 07:20 ]

Moai drawing, I'm going back to the pen and ink for awhile...

a Cannibal Moai! RAD! Gettin into the drawing mode,eh? The beauty of drawings is that you can take a lot more chances and really just follow your inner voice without worrying about a big blank canvas or surface to nail..If the drawing goes South..oh well,at least it wasn't a painting...When drawing,the ideas for canvases always seem to spring up from that hidden well inside....that's where the best ideas come from! Keep on Truckin Sneaks! :D

Thanks LLT,
I hadn't thought of him specifically eating people, but, yeah I was going for a Halloween Monster Moai vibe! I took him from some sketches in ballpoint on the back of my work notebook, they are each about 1" square, tiny... I feel I've really let the drawing, my first, longest love, slip by the wayside and I want to do some nice sketches rather than thumbnails for paintings/practice... Some people's work in inks/graphite/charcoal blows my mind, I wanna get my feet wet again!

Thumbnails...

S
T

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-10-03 08:47 ]

I like a few of dem fellars!
Back of a notepad? How archival is that? :D
You're right about the drawing..I try to draw for a least a couple hours every week,just to keep in practice...It's weird how different drawing and painting can be!
Ballpoint pen rocks for drawing (as long as you don't get those goopy-goops of ink and paper fibers on the tip! If you do the sketches well enough,they become pieces in themselves!
Now go gets them feet wet! :)
The MOAI INK the better i feel! :D

R

On 2007-10-03 08:46, Sneakytiki wrote:
Thumbnails...

Waah! I like your thumbnails, and the first sketch you did RAWKS!
Reminds me of my notebooks/hand-out sheets/schedule...well I draw on anything and everything I can! :lol:

I'm happy yer going back to basic drawing!

Keep posting more sketches! :D

Hey Ravers,

scrambled, poached, or fried?? What's the haps Sunnyside?

Thanks GRRRRRRRL, hope to see some of your art soon!

S
T

Kukailimoku:

Thanks,
S
T

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-10-04 07:28 ]

R

Ooh! I really like this! :D
Love his mouth! Like he's going: RAAAAAWR!

Shark God:

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-10-05 22:33 ]

OOOOOOOHHHHH!

That is AWE-some! That should become a tee shirt!

Great designs!

Sneaky!
Kukailimoku and the Shark god are rad! There's a lot going on despite first impressions! the form,the expressions,the TEXTURE! stoked you're having fun and just cutting loose! These are the times when anything goes and your sketchbook will become a treasure chest of future paintings!
(*)
TOOOOOOOOOOOT!

TSA , Thanks so much, a tee would be really cool!
LLT, Muchas mahollaz! I hope to work some of these into paintings definitely, thanks I am having fun.

A couple more...
My fiance really likes my 20-30 second line drawings where I compose a piece from a single line so I did one and blocked in some areas with value to make a 2D cubist piece...
He's a Ku/ LONo/ Marq/african mask thing that my brain barfed up instantaneously, I did a few of these a while ago as well. I'm thinking it might make a good red and blk on white composition.

Here's another take on the Hawaiian Shark Godz:

Thanks for looking.

S
T

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-10-08 21:00 ]

R

I like the Hawaiian Shark God, he's all buffed out!
Really great line work in the other one too! :D

Thanks Ravenneavenneavenne!

R

Whoa! Iki! :o

Those Birdmen are awesome!

What did you use? Ink? water colors? markers? goache? stop me when I get it right? :lol:

:D It rocks!

Sneaky!
WAAAAAAAAAAAY COOL!
The silhoutte style gives it a stage-like drama and that flatness/dimensionality of Indian Miniatures! Very Very Cool and Compelling! There's a narrative somewhere in there with the eggs and the skulls and that lil teeny tiny tiki guy in the bottom right! I really like the flying orongo fish guy upper left!
I'm gonna guess ink wash/maybe bleaching out the white(i say that because there's a "halo" around the double birdhead bone stick that one gent is holding/then black ink over that...
That's my guess!
Powerful Piece!
(*) TOOT!

What a cool piece, I agree! Reminds me of the good old illustrations in vintage children's books - I've always liked the style.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Oct 23, 2007 11:34 PM

It has a kinda mysterious Hieronymous Bosh feel mixed into it as well. Nice stuff Sneaky.

Venne, thx! It's watered down acrylic paint over ink. :tiki:

LLT, mahaloz, I gotta try that bleach pen trick, the eggs and bones are really light yellow, I "bleached" them in photoshop on a whim.

Sam, I was trying for illustrative/ illustrator-ish, thanks for the comps!

Hey Grog! I always appreciate your comments, thanks for the kind words, I'll have to peep some Hieronymous for inspiration!

besides Mr. Bosch,check out peter Brueghel-his etchings and paintings,lots of mysterious little creatures running around...Flemish Artists RAWK!

P

Bryanomous Bosch - I can dig it! I had this weird little fold out set of Bosch prints when I was a kid, I think I only bought em cause everyone was nude!

Yup looked up Hiero, I thought it was "THE Garden of Earthly Delights Guy", you can sure see his influence on Dali and other surrealists, that hyper religious cat knew where his brush was at yo!

Here's another Orongo piece started:

PS
LLT,
I'll be sure to gaze upon some bagel er Bruegel the elder?? ASAP!

Paipo,
thanks stone man!

S
T

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-10-24 21:25 ]

Schweetness! Lot of crazy narratives are poppin into my head with these!
A bunch of different stories going on in both pieces!
looks like a small series is being born...
Any plan to do some actual paintings around this theme?
They'd be way KEWL!
You're on a Roll!
(Bagel not Brueghel!)

H
Heath posted on Thu, Oct 25, 2007 9:48 AM

I kind of see an Edward Gorey thing going on.

I really like all the different directions you seem to go with your art.

Okay, now get back to work, let's see some more!

LLT, I plan on doing some painting/drawings to break the barriers between my old drawing style and my new paintings. This is alot of fun integrating my multiple personalities...

Heath, thanks!

R

Ooh this one turned out really cool!

You thinkin of colorin' it?? :D

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 473 replies