Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Varnish Make Pretty

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 473 replies

Here is a Moai in a mid-century syle painted last night. The actual painting is 4" by 6", the matting/frame adds another 6" or so to each measurement.

Also shown is another Moai/KU topknot/totem pole figure/pendant with arms/antennae. I might add another lower pair of arms. Once again, made from tiki fork/spoon.

Nice ST! Very graphic.....looks like it could be in the background of an I Love Lucy episode! ( or sumpin' along those lines!) Awesome!

Suburban Pagan,

Thanks for the comps! I Love Lucy ey? That would make a good episode, "Lucy's Luau".

ST

Decided to try my hand at Polynesian jewelry forms as I've made some Native American adornments in the past. I aged these bones and used hair pipe for the necklace beads. It has glass pony beads instead of seed/nuts but I might replace the beads in the future if I aquire some authentic seeds.

Samoan ula nifo made by ST:

Talofa!

ST

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: sneakytiki 2007-04-09 10:26 ]

F

Sneaky, excellent work I love the bone and blue contrast, cool looking piece.
Regards
Flynny

Flynny,
Thanks! The bone bird man pendant you did for the swap was really original and well done. I liked the green elements playing off the bone in that also.

Harpy:

Vulture Woman HUNNNNNNGREEEEEEEEE! REEEEE! REEEEEEEEE!

2'by2' acrylic on reclaimed trash masonite.

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-10 03:54 ]

Nice Harpy Sneaky!
Have you read Sandow Birk's rewrite of Dante's Inferno? It's veery easy to read and pretty funny ,like the original,but more easy to understand with contemporary phrases and references..Anyways, the Harpy reminded me of that,Love the profile view! This series is coming along quite cooly!

LLT,

I haven't read that. Sounds like a fun read. Thanks for the compliment, much appreciated.

tiki tiki,
S T

Scottish Potter friend of mine,

Ryan:pastelle on toned paper with funky lighting.

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-10 04:52 ]

Bird man painting dun and photographed.
I got some work photographed before a show i have on the 3rd of May and also the pieces I traded Aloha Sta. Nothing new here, just good photos with sum minor changes to a few pieces.

Here are sum decent pix of these two also, they won't be at the show with the others. I want to have a cartoony show with these sort of pieces later.

This is the first time I've posted decent pix of these so I hope they are a bit more viewable.

Peace Owt,

S T

Decided to try a surrealist/expressionist piece after looking at Limey's nifty paintings. See if you can pull the reference(s).

Back to work...

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-16 16:25 ]

The piece is done now. Will varnish in a couplah months.

Closeup on hand:

Oli and acrylic.

Thx for looking.

I finished the 3rd background and did the hand lettering for this minotaur piece last night.

Hope u like:

ST

I like the monster stuff. The minotaur looks like he would take your drink and then punch you in the face.

really dig the graphic quality........great line weight! Harpie and Minotaur are classic! Your birdman series is wild too! very confrontational!

L
Limey posted on Tue, Apr 17, 2007 2:10 PM

Hey S.T. Thanx for getting me on to your art. nice work on the new one. My stab at the reference woul be - Escher. I really dig the expressiveness and the exploratory nature of your work, punchy, graphic, textured, you are free to go anywhere man.. My favs are the birdman series too. nice work on the skulls.
Ka kité

On 2007-04-17 05:56, Surf tiki wrote:
I like the monster stuff. The minotaur looks like he would take your drink and then punch you in the face.

Surf,

Thanks man. I did a number of sketches trying to get that damn minotaur right, tweaked him this way -- devil, that way -- too scary, another way -- he looked friendly, but this guy was jus' right. Then I talked myself out of the original background and ended up reworking it umpteen times. Glad u liked it! I liked what you said about old Bull boy, he WOULD do that.

ST

On 2007-04-17 11:41, suburbanpagan wrote:
really dig the graphic quality........great line weight! Harpie and Minotaur are classic! Your birdman series is wild too! very confrontational!

Sub-pagan,

Much appreciated! I don't try to make pieces confrontational but my painting style of make 'er up mostly as I go along often decides otherwise. Damn subconscious demons!

Thanks again,

S
T

On 2007-04-17 14:10, Limey wrote:
Hey S.T. Thanx for getting me on to your art. nice work on the new one. My stab at the reference woul be - Escher. I really dig the expressiveness and the exploratory nature of your work, punchy, graphic, textured, you are free to go anywhere man.. My favs are the birdman series too. nice work on the skulls.
Ka kité

Limey,

Yeah you got it! It was influnced by Dali, Escher and some guy named Limey. Add a dash of expressionistic splatter...

Those comments on my work are very kind and much appreciated!

Washtay!

S
T

So, whatcha got up your sleeve for the next project?
Limey's got some cool work-with your bird skulls,that organic dark feel might be real cool...
Keep on keepinon with this killer work! The Dalinean crucifix made me smile,he made a point once how if you unfold a cube,it would assume the shape of the cross...genius! New Jerusalem in revelation is also a giant cube,like some dimensional container....Wow! Been reading the Secret life of Salvador Dali again...(read it about 10 years ago,so it's like reading a new book) Have you read that or Diary of a Genius or 50 Secrets of magic craftsmanship? I think you'd get a kick out of him,plus you would get most of his mythological references! Also check out Dante's trilogy co-written and illustrated by Sandow Birk...he does twists on the Dore etchings and other artists...It's set in a hellish LA environment...Very Cool There's a Minotaur in the Inferno and in hisartwork for the text...Picasso was really into that minotaur,eh? Great take on that theme! Lates!

On 2007-04-17 21:18, little lost tiki wrote:
So, whatcha got up your sleeve for the next project?
Limey's got some cool work-with your bird skulls,that organic dark feel might be real cool...
Keep on keepinon with this killer work! The Dalinean crucifix made me smile,he made a point once how if you unfold a cube,it would assume the shape of the cross...genius! New Jerusalem in revelation is also a giant cube,like some dimensional container....Wow! Been reading the Secret life of Salvador Dali again...(read it about 10 years ago,so it's like reading a new book) Have you read that or Diary of a Genius or 50 Secrets of magic craftsmanship? I think you'd get a kick out of him,plus you would get most of his mythological references! Also check out Dante's trilogy co-written and illustrated by Sandow Birk...he does twists on the Dore etchings and other artists...It's set in a hellish LA environment...Very Cool There's a Minotaur in the Inferno and in hisartwork for the text...Picasso was really into that minotaur,eh? Great take on that theme! Lates!

LLT,

Not sure yet about the next project.

I think my skull paintings are definitely in a surreal type genre. It's never been intentional but that's how they turn out. They are also executed in a surrealist fashion drawing from the subconscious while I work i.e. making it up as I go, also similar to some expressionist approaches.

I think those books you mentioned are gonna be on my required reading list. They sound really good!

Picasso's minotaurs are really iconic, they also bring to mind mid-century Toreador and Toro art, nice Spain related kitsch like the conquistador stuff. Picasso loved the bullfights.

Thanks for the compliments and your insightful comments.

I think you have a book in the making with the narrative qualities of the work you've been doing lately! Just put the pieces in an order or make up a story and fill in the blanks. You could make up some short stories to go along with the pix easy. LLT's bedtime tales for hep tots. :)

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-18 14:53 ]

Altered these paintings.

new additions:

Another picture from my "it must've come in a Happy Meal" dig. camera:

Thanks for peepin'!

--Sneaks

cool, man! I'm diggin' the Moai! Are his eyes really THAT white that they glow?

Pocky,

Yup!

Impasto piling of layers pops the eyes fwd as does white, the combo is very Pow! in your face.

I love doing glowing eyes:

Thanks,

S
T

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-19 00:28 ]

Life model, 1hr.

Oil on paper, 12 by 24".

Thx fer peepin'.

S
T

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-20 23:22 ]

Octo-tiki-Tane:

gouache, acrylic, canvas paper, then color by photoshop :wink:

Excerpt from sneaky's sketch book:

Fun little (made up as I was listening to boring public speaker) sketch, I had no idea that it would end up as a redeemed cat leaving Hades. :)

Thx,

S
T

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-23 10:58 ]

K

Man that is one wild looking cat. It looks like he's either leaving Hades or getting arrested after trying to outrun the cops.

I'm diggin' that Octopus tiki! I love the colors and the style you got there. Nice goin!

Thx KC and Pock,

You are correct KC, that cat looks like he has been trying to outrun the cops after a night of drunken debauchery.

I'm glad u liked the colors PT. Thanks.

Aloha!

S
T

Octo-Tiki-Tane is a great elaboration of an earlier piece!The colors remind me of the Howard Johnsons restaurants we'd eat at while on the road on vacation! Nice Happy yet agitated feel!
You and HOJO Rule!

LLT,

I don't think I remember the Howard Johnson's but I DO remember a similar color scheme at Denny's locally before they remodeled. It was crazeee!

I thought the original color scheme was all serene and watery with BUBBLES! I wanted the colors to go with the agressive squid/sea monster form of Tane/Tangaroa.

I also cropped the bottom of the figure too close to the edge of the paper in the painting so I wanted to put some space in there too.

Thanks for the compz!

S
T

Another gouache acrylic painting.

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-25 04:20 ]

I like your green gouche piece up there, however, it looks like his anatomy is coming out of his bee-hind. Nice work though!

Nice work ST! Your promo card is sweet! Is that a self portrait? Really dig your line work

On 2007-04-25 10:13, PockyTiki wrote:
I like your green gouche piece up there, however, it looks like his anatomy is coming out of his bee-hind. Nice work though!

Yeah Pocky, you're right. Dammit! I'll do the next wee-wee a bit differently, good call.

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-26 10:15 ]

On 2007-04-25 10:48, suburbanpagan wrote:
Nice work ST! Your promo card is sweet! Is that a self portrait? Really dig your line work

Suburbanization,

Thanks bro! That was not a self portrait but it does share some similarities to some of my features. The older I get the more I resemble that guy (3 eyed guy).

That piece was done in 91 when I was 19. A couple of years ago when I started to draw again all of my old drawings that I still had were in the back of my car when I made a turn and the binder they were in slid under my not completely closed rear lift-gate/door. It was 5PM, raining, sand on the ground from winter, and in the busiest intersection in town.

After about an hour and a half of wondering where my shizzles went, I realized what may have occurred at a sharp turn prior to that intersection and back tracked. I dodged heavy traffic and picked up what pieces I could find in the semi darkness, wet, torn, gravel embedded, sandy, muddy, etc.. I just wanted the old work for memories etc. This is what I ended up doing with the road chewed drawing.

The other figures there are life models I've painted. The blond guy had just bleached his hair that color, ultrabrite.

Mahaloz,

ST

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-26 10:16 ]

Just some better photographs and a slight mod to the Moai coloring sheet.

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-05-10 11:47 ]

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-05-10 21:05 ]

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-05-10 21:14 ]

B

WOW sneaky, very good looking art.

Thanks Benella! Always good to hear from you!
ST

T

Wow Sneaky, I just looked at page one! There's some really great stuff there. I must admit though I'm partial to the Easter Island guys up there on this page! Thanks for sharing!

Tikisgrl

Thanks Tikisgrrrrrl! Always nice to chat with you as well!
S
T

I'm setting up at myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sneakytikibam Feel free to stop by, view pix, or drop me a line.
ST

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-05-27 23:41 ]

H

Kick a$$ stuff, Sneaky T!!!

You myspace link has a period at the end that is throwing your link off.

try this: http://www.myspace.com/sneakytikibam

Surf&Turf!

Thanks for the heads up on the link and the compz!
I edited the link so it now works.

S
T

Here is my latest tiki painting:

Thanks,
S
T

Here's a shot of my living room/studio at night...

Aloha!!
ST

H
hewey posted on Sun, May 27, 2007 8:29 PM

Hey Sneaky! There's a whole lot going on in that last one, but I like it. Sweet looking lounge too :D

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 473 replies