Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Varnish Make Pretty

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 473 replies

Here's a couple of previews of the approx. 7' by 3' door I'm painting presently. I did the shark totem/tiki drawing about a week ago at the coffee shop and painted it a couplah nites back. I thought it was funny cuz I took some time off TC and then I come back to find the Tiki shark creature/bumatay/fish tiki thing in full swing. My version is inspired by Totem pole as well as tiki art. The door has tiki/moai/totem pole and Inuit inspired designs so far. The shots I just took in the dark are in our huge Lanai which is slowly becoming my studio instead of the living room :). I love painting outside at night!

Shark guy on left side.

A better shot of my living room/studio/mess.

Thanks!
S
T

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-05-28 01:13 ]

Lovin the pallette on this one and the former one! the background is all dreamlike,then the black outlines solidify it and bring the faces to life! It's fun picking out which face is from what culture...i think they all draw from the same well.....Been relaxing and reading this taschen book on the Symbolists...Gaugain seems to be the only one to draw his influence from polynesian sources, but the others drew from a kaleidescope of myths and legends...If you haven't already taken a crash-course in them (which i suspect you already have) you should give 'em a gander! Inspiration Central! Keep it up Sir!

LLT,

Big shee-out owt to yah fer all the support you've shown!

Yes Gauguin rox but I haven't really read up on the symbolists much. I'll hafta check up on that and more surrealism etc. as alot of my art is kinda "just do it"/subconscious driven and I've always been big on symbols! I mostly studied non-Western art with a gen'l overview of Western. I think your fine art knowledge is far ahead of mine LLT. You know all about Dali, Gauguin etc. etc.

This whole "Pop Surrealist" thing sometimes cracks me up cus I know I'm not the only one doing "doodles" like I did on school notebook paper (only in paint now) and now it's a "genre", too funny!! Seems just as deep as any other genre' and probably more authentic than many... Always seemed married to expressionism as much as the surrealist and pop elements (to me).

I think your tikis all over the place compositions were an influence on this latest series.

Word is Bond!
Sniz Tiz

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-05-30 00:36 ]

P
Paipo posted on Wed, May 30, 2007 4:11 AM

Yeah this is one of my favourites too - looks like it could be some long lost menu cover or weird 60's cartoon. The red and yellow are pretty visceral though, and give it a slightly less cute and friendly edge. Not half as scary as the first version though...

On 2007-05-30 04:11, Paipo wrote:
Yeah this is one of my favourites too - looks like it could be some long lost menu cover or weird 60's cartoon. The red and yellow are pretty visceral though, and give it a slightly less cute and friendly edge. Not half as scary as the first version though...

Thanks Paipo!
Yes, the first in the series was the scariest. This one is still in progress.
I appreciate/agree with your comments and they are really helpful as it gives me a new perspective on the work.
Thanks for the artistic support and for looking here.

Mahalo
ST

Progress pic. of whole door:

Glare is making top portion unviewable...

Thanks for looking and Mahalos to all the people who've supported my artistic journey here.

S
T

ST! I love the crisp graphic line contrasted with the bright color and looser paint! Great piece!

SuburbanPagan, Good analysis! Thanx fer the comps!

Someone told me not long ago that my main style was putting realistic or textured objects in a non-space unreal background, but I sometimes reverse this and do a textured background with flat foreground image(s). Finally! Someone was able to put a cohesive description to what I'd always considered disparate works -- perhaps I AM developing a style. Maybe my art is not aimlessly meandering as I've often feared.

I'm glad you see a flat/crisp vs. textured, layered composition as well, always best to get a second opinion!

Here are some more progress shots, piece is going to eventually consist of 3 doors hinged together to form a stand alone composition that could be used as a room divider/etc. I will likely paint both sides of 3 doors.

These shots with the dig. camera were taken after Nicole came outside laffing as I was painting by the light of a tiki torch (citronella keeps the bugs off me) sitting indian style on the ground (painting bottom of door) creating tribal boogie... She thought it was very apropo and took some shots with my good manual camera. Although it was just convenience that sparked first a citronella big lots tiki candle, then a tiki torch, I have to admit I can see why the neighbors think I'm a bit scary. That and the Native American club BBQ/parties and the Luau/tiki parties over here. Maybe they think I'm a suburban pagan er sumthin'....

Blah blah ptttt! After adding the Broken Nose Iroquois mask to tie this into my heritage (ctr top) and the African inspired mask to incorporate the door knob opening, I put a Melanesian inspired jock from my sketch book at lower right..

Another face added, this one inspired by NW coastal America (oval shaped, lower left)

Thanks for peeping!
ST

PS
I hope u like my inverted trash lid painting table.

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-06-01 02:23 ]

H
hewey posted on Fri, Jun 1, 2007 4:29 AM

I see a lot of street art vibe in your work, it looks like it belongs on a skateboard deck or something cool like that. Love to see you mural a van :D Nice way to freak out the neighbours :lol:

F

Mucho Gusto, I was thinking the same thing, skateboards or snowboards would look cool with that style on them.

Keep up the good work.

Hewey, Frostiki thanks guys! I have some vintage 70's and 60's skate decks, maybe I'll do a smaller series on those.

Peace,
ST

Tribal Boogie #1 finished..

Tribal Boogie #2 is well on it's way..

Thanks!
S
T

Stand back! Sneaky is on a Roll! This is one great series you're pumping out! Rock on!

Hey! BIG Thanks LLT!

I put an Iroquois false fase mask, a female kulap figure from New Ireland, a New Guinea mask, a P.I./Lono combo, an African mask, Hei Tiki, and others in there. More to follow.

Aloha!
ST

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-06-05 08:09 ]

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jun 5, 2007 9:57 AM

These are turning out really well Sneaky. GROG like.

I really like the style of your paintings. It reminds a little of some of Doze Green's work. Nice composition.

Boogie On Sneaky. That looks great!

Mrs Hoptiki

Thanks Grog!
Sneaky like Grog's tangent lesson!

On 2007-06-05 10:36, TIKI KAIMUKI wrote:
I really like the style of your paintings. It reminds a little of some of Doze Green's work. Nice composition.

Hey Kaimuki! I'll check Doze Green out. Thanks for the tip and the comp. on my comp-o-sition.

On 2007-06-05 11:08, Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki wrote:
Boogie On Sneaky. That looks great!

Mrs Hoptiki

Thanks Mrs.BPHT!
I think Mondrian had a piece called "Broadway Boogie Woogie", abstract "all over" compositions really do seem to act as "visual jazz".

Here's another pic. of the door, this is the same door #1 is painted on but reverse side. The end result will be 3 doors hinged together as a screen/room divider/reversible painting/triptych/thingy...
I believe Basquiat did some painted doors. That was what sparked the triptych ideer for me.

Mahaloz!
ST

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-06-05 22:56 ]

Nice! Reminds me of something that Trader Vic would use in a menu!

Hi Sneaky, resourceful use off painting supplies. I love the idea of folding screens. and painted on both sides, Bonus! is it going to be up for sale? Dawn

On 2007-06-05 14:24, Sophista-tiki wrote:
Hi Sneaky, resourceful use off painting supplies. I love the idea of folding screens. and painted on both sides, Bonus! is it going to be up for sale? Dawn

Dawn,

Thanks!!!
Most of my paintings are on reclaimed materials bought on the cheap or retrieved from trash/discard piles. The First painting in this series was done on a chipped masonite painting of a cow from the refuse heap. I liked the way the chips looked on the board so I used my hands to break more chunks off the masonite.

Yup! All my stuff is for sale. I'm still trying to make art my paying profession.

Suburban Pagan,

Thanks!! That would be so cool, doing a Vic's illustration!

Mahalos,
S
T

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-06-15 13:55 ]

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2008-12-14 05:36 ]

Here is the latest in the tribal-boogie series, this one is in process..

mega-haloz!
5N3AKY +!K!

Boogie-ing right along with this tribal series! I'm really liking these Sneaks! Keep it up,you're in the Art-Factory mode-go for it!

LLT,
Thanks mang!I haven't been able to put in as many BOOGIE NIGHTS as I'd like to lately due to my job and yard work but I have been sketching up a storm of ideas for characters to go in these paintings. I'm not used to this approach but I really like having my sketch references.

Boogie Woogie,
+

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-06-21 16:02 ]

Tribal Boogie #3 is nearly done..

Here is a photo of in process TB3 and a shot of the also still in process Tribal Boogie #4.

[ Edited by: sneakytiki 2007-06-27 16:00 ]

Progress on these two pieces...

What do you think?

PS
Hazards of outdoor painting: Today I was aggravated by a steady stream of wasps which I eventually surmised had made a nest in the door I'm painting via the screw holes for the hinges. I sealed the holes with some paint and then a lone wasp kept badgering me until I painted him into a corner, so to speak, and well, he now is "one" with the painting...
BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, SPLAT!!

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-06-27 16:13 ]

TB3 is looking great! The colors/shapes and movement give me a Miro/Klee/Stuart Davis feel for some reason.The tribal angle and overlapping of different cultures really imbibes the piece with the power and mystery of them all! Painting on Doors is the best! The size and immensity are a BLAST!Plus ,you can do the close-up/backup thing with it and still feel inside the painting!Tho, I've always had trouble hanging them....don't want big doors falling on people at exhibitions! Great work!

LLT,

Thanks man! I hope these don't fall on anyone, this one is heavy! These will be hinged together at the sides forming a stand alone piece that can be viewed from both sides, the current plan is to have 3 doors hinged together for a total of 6 paintings. Thanks for mentioning Stuart Davis, I checked him out per your reference and wow! cool stuff, you are a knowledgeable kat!

In other news I've been invited to display and sell work at a show in NYC this summer. The show is being curated by Vito Schnabel, he's considered somewhat of a prodigy curator as he is only 20 or so. He did the PS1 show at MOMA last year. His dad is the famous painter Julian Schnabel, also known for directing the movies "Basquiat" and "Before Darkness Falls".

I was really flattered to be invited as I didn't even inquire, they saw my work on the web and culled it from a pool of thousands down to 6-10 artists, then asked me to participate. I'm super nervous but also really excited. I'll post more details as the date(s) are firmed up. I might not be posting very often for awhile as I'm working full time at a non art job and still trying to paint at all hours, spend time with family, etc.. TC finally gets a break...

Peace,
S
T

edited for spelling.

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-06-30 23:43 ]

Hey Sneakytiki-

Those doors are cool, and you have a definite style. It's a good feeling to take trash and give it new life (not that I'm very good at that, but I've repainted a few old wooden bowls). Very nice stuff here.

T

Sneaky!

Quoted from todays post....

In other news I've been invited to display and sell work at a show in NYC this summer. The show is being curated by Von Schnabel, he's considered somewhat of a prodigy curator as he is only 20 or so. He did the PS1 show at MOMA last year. His dad is the famous painter Julian Schnabel, also known for directing the movies "Basquiat" and "Before Darkness Falls".

I was really flattered to be invited as I didn't even inquire, they saw my work on the web and culled it from a pool of thousands down to 6-10 artists, then asked me to participate. I'm super nervous but also really excited. I'll post more details as the date(s) are firmed up. I might not be posting very often for awhile as I'm working full time at a non art job and still trying to paint at all hours, spend time with family, etc.. TC finally gets a break...

Congratulations! Wow when you are famous don't forget us! Seriously that's wonderful I wish you much luck with the show, when is it? where is it?

Tikisgrl

NICE!

Sam Gam Enam Shazam, Sub -P and TG, thanks!!! I'll post details as soon as I know more.

Sneaky

It's your Time to Shine Sneaky!
Congratulations on your Show!

W

"...I've been invited to display and sell work at a show in NYC this summer...they saw my work on the web and culled it from a pool of thousands down to 6-10 artists..." -Sneakytiki-

Excellent! It's good to hear that others realize your work is unique and a cut above most of what's out there.

And for anyone who can't read between the lines this means: Buy now!

Woofmutt and LLTiki,
Thanks so much, you guys are really supportive and always encouraging. It's been a big help having you guys view/critique my work, and having LLT here for inspiration.

Gratefully,
ST

The show will be late Aug./early Sept. Location is still ?
Thanks,
S
T

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-07-21 14:42 ]

New Tiki door in progress, acrylics. The tiki is being done in oils, he's just getting started. He'll be brought to a photo-realistic likeness comparable to the skull paintings I've done.

Talofa,
ST

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-07-30 16:23 ]

I

I love the rawness of this stage, and getting to see this painting as it progresses.

Looking forward to it!

Take care,

I.

If only everyone could paint with such unrestrained confidence,switching and changing mediums/scale/technique....If only......
Your 4 panels are ZA-ZAM! and this new one's turning out pretty killer! Can't wait to see the completed photorealistic KU guy! Paint on bruthahman!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jul 30, 2007 8:38 PM

Congrats on the art show gig mate :D

Very nice work, it's all coming along nicely

I agree strong tribal vibes the really grab hold of the eyes and don't let go. I could easily see some of the asain style ones on the right painted on the sides of huge equipment or appliances. Like some kinda crazy asian ghosts in a the broke down machine type of haunted thingy. Big is Bold!

Chongolio

Lost-Isle
Coconut Wired Podcast
Barefoot bloggin'

[ Edited by: chongolio 2007-07-31 01:09 ]

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jul 30, 2007 11:54 PM

Two semi-opposable thumbs up.

I like it, I'll second what Grog said.

K
kctiki posted on Wed, Aug 1, 2007 2:07 PM

These paintings seem very primal, as if the characters are peeking back at us thru the eons.

On 2007-07-30 17:49, little lost tiki wrote:
If only everyone could paint with such unrestrained confidence,switching and changing mediums/scale/technique....If only......
Your 4 panels are ZA-ZAM! and this new one's turning out pretty killer! Can't wait to see the completed photorealistic KU guy! Paint on bruthahman!

Wow! Thanks LLT. I might've been a bit over confident with this painting. I put the tiki I was painting in front of a window with changing light conditions outside and also had a light in the room. So multiple light sources with one changing drastically all the time equals frustration. I'm leaving him semi-finished for now and starting the other side of the door. I'll do a realistic likeness soon but I'm afraid this one is not gonna go there as originally planned.

On 2007-07-30 20:38, hewey wrote:
Congrats on the art show gig mate :D

Very nice work, it's all coming along nicely

Thx Hewey! :tiki:

On 2007-07-30 21:09, Chongolio wrote:
I agree strong tribal vibes the really grab hold of the eyes and don't let go. I could easily see some of the asain style ones on the right painted on the sides of huge equipment or appliances. Like some kinda crazy asian ghosts in a the broke down machine type of haunted thingy. Big is Bold!

Chongolio

Thx Chongolio,
I like your idea about the appliances.

Grog, Frosty, and KC, Mahalo! I hope Grogs thumbs are getting some more "opposability"!!

You guys are the Best!

Regards,
S
T

Here is another door I've got started, not sure where its going, 7 foot dollar tiki... Painting it in dark room, side-lit...

Alice in Chains and some stoner rock may have contributed to the blood red color...

T

On 2007-08-21 01:55, Sneakytiki wrote:
Alice in Chains and some stoner rock may have contributed to the blood red color...

I like him, he's big he's bold & he's buff! Looking good Sneaky!

Tikisgrl

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 473 replies