Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Varnish Make Pretty

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 473 replies

Another progress pic. of the Moai- Miro

Thanks for looking.

ST

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-09-06 10:50 ]

Here is a detail of a self portrait in walnut oils on paper done in a loose style.

Thank for looking.

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Sep 7, 2006 2:38 PM

The details in the face tones look right on. I think that you could have added alittle more life to the eyes. If you get the eyes right then the rest will fall in place. Add some highlights to the eye because they are wet and throw back reflection.

teakey, thanks for the tip, that's a great idea!

ST

A gouache painting I just did from live model.

Self portratit..

[ Edited by: sneakytiki 2007-03-22 01:23 ]

New painting

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-25 01:45 ]

[ Edited by: sneakytiki 2006-09-20 21:46 ]

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-09-27 02:03 ]

Acrylic on canvas "Aku Aku", got the idea from my Moai take on the Miro painting above.

I'll take a better pic. out in the sun tomorrow, can't get a good one in here.

Thx for looking.

[ Edited by: sneakytiki 2006-09-23 08:34 ]

"Kava Kava"

More to come in this series.

Thanks for looking.

ST

[ Edited by: SNEAKYTIKI 2006-09-24 12:37 ]

Here are some pix of the Easter Island paintings together, I think I'll bookend the other side of the Aku Aku painting with a bird man or Rapa Nui Tapa figure's head.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks very much for looking.

ST

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-09-26 11:51 ]

The latest painting is of a tapa or bark cloth figure from Easter island, a cloth tiki. it completes the triptych.

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-02-09 17:14 ]

H
Heath posted on Wed, Sep 27, 2006 6:05 AM

I really like this series.
It's almost like the bird men versus the long ears with the survivors in the middle.
Keep'em coming!

Heath, thanks for the encouragement, I'll keep painting tikis, the next series will be from another area of Oceania. The tiki made of wood and tapa cloth reminds me of a NZ tiki with the beak mouth, must be a very old polynesian motif.

ST

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-09-27 18:06 ]

My latest tiki painting...

Thanks for looking.
ST

Very cool and fun! Tho, I wouldn't want to play with him!

Lil' lost Tiki, Thanks!

ST

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-10-05 01:30 ]

making a mess in oilz again...

day 1

day 2

Oil on canvas, red acrylic background, side lit bison skull for model, working about 3 hr's at a go.

Any comments appreciated, Thx for looking!

Day 3, another hour or so on skull and working out what color I want for horizontal stripe.

Thanks for looking.
ST

Sneaky, looks good! I love the half faces! Hmmmm could be a good idea for a future Tiki Shark painting... (kidding!) The cow skull is rocking!
Tiki Shark~

Tikisharkart, Thanks for the props, always appreciated. Your work is VERY inspiring! I'm just getting my brush wet when it comes to acrylics, glad you liked the half faces, I'm planning to do more from various islands.

ST

Day 4, knocked back the impasto on the Bison teeth and decided on Terra Rosa for the horizontal stripe color, also stained the teeth. Worked about 25 minutes today.

I may soon start a tiki painting in oils since they come more naturally to me then water based paints, that is after this skull painting is finished.

Thanks for your comments, and thanks for looking.

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-10-14 22:50 ]

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Oct 15, 2006 3:30 AM

Real nice stuff sneaky, the new skull painting looks very lifelike (deathlike?) and the Rapanui trilogy is "sweet as" to use some kiwi parlance. That barkcloth figure is a favourite piece of mine. Looking forward to the new oil works!

Paipo, Thanks for the comps. I really enjoy looking at your work, after perusing your thread for quite awhile, an artist feels like they should either give up cuz they'll never attain that level of craftsmanship or that they should get on it and try to attain that level of craft, at least that's how I felt after checking your work out.

ST

Here's the 15 minutes of work I did today, set up the easel on a table top--precariously-- and painted a black stripe to go behind this bear skull on the bottom of the painting.

Thanks for looking.

Well here's what I did today.

Thanks for looking, comments appreciated.

ST

Beautiful! the second skull is very nice. Almost hinting at things buried in the ground, one beneath each other...

TikiShark, you're right on the money, the painting is definitely referencing strata, along with the memory or idea of animals surviving beyond extinction or death.
The bear is also a totem for me as I have received a dream from him/her, can't discuss Native American beliefs/spirituality here much.. so nuff said.
Here's what I got done in about an hour today, need to get some more alkyd medium so's this paint will dry faster, I keep haf'tin tuh quit due to layers mixing.

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-10-19 23:37 ]

My next tiki painting, getting laid out..

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-10-19 23:28 ]

Sneaky,
What size is the canvas?
Tiki Shark~

Tikishark, it's 20 by 24 inches.

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-03-28 18:06 ]

Here's a progress pic.

Thanks for looking, your thoughts?

Another pic. might be pretty close to done with this one.

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-03-28 18:07 ]

H

Looking good man. Maybe paint in the white bits, but otherwise cool :)

Well this last tiki painting was pretty ho-hum, after I tried to brighten up the colors I took it from a ho hum place to a totally ruined place, no big loss. Back to the tiki drawing board!

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-10-21 20:23 ]

Well I haven't thrown out the tiki painting above as planned, I'm letting it simmer awhile before playing with it or trying to fix it, here are the latest from a couple more sessions on the
skull painting, it now references American Indian desert and Aboriginal art with the circles around the cropped buffalo, NW Indian art with the incomplete bear face, and neolithic art with the hand splattered/blown bison stencil. Comments appreciated and thanks very much for looking.

Wow, it's really a powerful and cool painting! the bear face is amazing! IT's taken a totally diffrent direction that I thought It was going! How cool it is to see into some one else's creative process! Excellent work!

Wow, thanks TSA!
It means alot to me coming from you. Getting to see your creative process has been unreal and incredibly inspiring.

Aloha
ST

Finished piece?

Thanks for looking!

I like it!
It speaks (to me) about animal spirit guides through the layers of the earth and the realms of the dead, the dream lands of native America. It's a serious meaningful piece. Nicely done!

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Nov 13, 2006 4:33 PM

Yeah, I wasn't sure about the mixed elements at first, but it works really well now I've seen the finished painting. Nice work sneaky!

[ Edited by: Paipo 2006-11-13 16:34 ]

TSA, u got it! Your ability to interpret art and communicate ideas is impressive! Thanks again for the comps.

Paipo, I wasn't so sure about the mix of styles either! I may still refine this piece in the future cuz the composition I'm still iffy about, though I think it "works" pretty well. Thanks for the compliment.

ST

Here is a coloring book page I made for my daughters.

Thanks, ST

[ Edited by: 2006-11-22 20:05 ]

New painting 3/4 finished.

The painting is representative of the medicine wheel.

I have some more tiki coloring sheets inspired by the great tiki coloring books here on the way.
Thanks for looking!
ST

updates coming soon.

ST

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-12-27 14:40 ]

New piece commisioned by local indy newspaper for easter, it explores the Pagan Easter/Jewish Passover/Resurrection Sunday that has coalesced into our modern commercialized holiday.

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-01-21 11:24 ]

The medicine wheel painting is really powerful. I'm not sure exactly what a medicine wheel is, but seems like a lot of spirit animals are involved! Cool! What size are you working? Is this acrylic?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 473 replies