Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 927 replies

G
GROG posted on Tue, Mar 18, 2014 7:06 PM

Glad to see you back playing in the mud.

V

Aloha Folks!

I've been posting most of my progress pics to my Facebook and Tumblr pages - but I try to post here as well (when I can). Some quick shots of current mugs cooking away in the studio: Arm Of The Kracken mugs, and the Ceremonial Zombie Mug

More pics and info on my Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/vantiki

or my studio process blog (with animated GIFs!):
http://vantiki.tumblr.com

Mahalo!
Henrik "VanTiki"

hooray !! more cool stuff i will never be able to afford !! thanks for torturing me with those photos.

C
Chippy posted on Mon, Apr 7, 2014 2:51 PM

WOW!!

That Arm of the Kraken is incredible!! And the Zombie is pretty great too.

B
Bowana posted on Mon, Apr 7, 2014 9:10 PM

Those are great, Henrik! Full of style as usual.

On 2014-04-07 14:33, VanTiki wrote:
I've been posting most of my progress pics to my Facebook and Tumblr pages - but I try to post here as well (when I can).

I'm guilty of this myself, sad to say.
FaceBook has all but killed TC, IMHO.

Bowie

V

Got the Idol WallHanger #1 mug all lashed up this afternoon - super stoked with the way it turned out!

Mahalo for looking -
Henrik "VanTiki"

You have every right to be stoked. That is awesome looking.

• Dale

Awesome hanger.

Kind of hate to post this after the Tiki Shark rip off but...

It has such a distinct style. Found it by a link from Etsy. Some Chinese company, I dunno :(

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Distinctive-ceramic-tiki-shape-custom-Musical_586199618.html

V

Yeah, thanks for the heads up. That site uses a whole slew of my mugs and photos, but there is noting I can really do about it as they are in China. I just have to be flattered that they think my stuff is good enough to steal! :)

(I did sent them an email notifying them that they are stealing my photos and designs - but I sincerely doubt anything will come of it)

Henrik "VanTiki"

V

On 2014-05-29 22:53, Badd Tiki wrote:
Found it by a link from Etsy.

Badd Tiki - can you elaborate on how you found this via Etsy? they don't have 3rd party advertising on their site. Was it a Facebook sidebar link? I'd like to report it to either Facebook or Etsy. I can't stop China from copying, but I can try to curb the advertising.

Mahalo!
Henrik

Yeah that's kind of what I thought, some place in China... what can be done :(

Hopefully they just don't get any business. I guess the bright side is that most of your stuff is complex/shapely enough that it would be a pain in the butt to cast so they wouldn't want to anyway.

Hmmm.... Well, I think it was actually Pinterest, not Etsy, don't know why I typed that. I may be losing it.

Anyway, I think I had just searched 'Tiki' and just got aweful results. Barely anything near tiki, bunch of ugly stuff was there. Now I search Tiki and am actually getting a lot of good tiki stuff. Am I crazy? Or is it their search engine?

I did post a message on the pin though and said I was sure it was a rip off, and put a link to your site. So hopefully the board author deleted it and they could post links directing traffic to you instead.
Try as I might, I can not find that pin today.

I am seeing more of your work today though.

I guess the most we can do is inform people who the true artist is when we see these things and people who truly like tiki will do the right thing.

On a side note I had mentioned your mugs before at the studio (nobody is really into tiki there) but never had internet handy. Recently got a smart phone and showed your mugs to my instructor. He's been doing ceramics for 30+ years, can tell you anything you need to know, sometimes too much :D

He was pretty impressed :wink:

V

This fellow took shape in the studio yesterday:

http://vimeo.com/vantiki/octoidol

Super stoked with it - hope it survives drying and firing!

Mahalo for looking -
Henrik "VanTiki"

Sweet! Nice parting shot :lol:

Your art is so unique and fun. It was so fun to see you two at Tiki Kon. Wendy

V

Mahalo Mike & Wendy!

Mike, I edited out the first few "is this thing working??" shots of me staring into the camera at the beginning :)

Wendy - Seeing you and Dan was one of the best parts of Tiki Kon! So sad you missed out on the Bus Tour - who would have guessed that instead of 100 degree temps it was cold and rainy!

Today another tiki mug balancing octopus snuck into my studio looking for its friend:

Mahalo for peeking!
Henrik "VanTiki"

VAN TIKI ~ WOW! you are the greatest gift to the world of Tiki Mugs, an asset to Tiki culture, and you are making real ART from what was never considered as such. You have once again blown my mind! You RAWK!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 927 replies