Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Wednesdays at Forbidden Island

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 865 replies

In the grand tradition of Tiki-Ti, every Wednesday night will find Forbidden Island peppered with tikiphiles. There's no set time (Forbidden Island opens at 5pm and closes at midnight on Wednesdays), just pop in when you can, and stay as late as you're able. If you'll be able to make it, chime in here on this thread to let others know -- but even if no one's chimed in, go ahead & head over, you never know who might be hanging out, and even if it's just you and the bartender, you're sure to have a grand time.

We'll be there this coming Wednesday!

M

Come one, come all, to Wednesdays at FI!

Help make this innagural Wednesday one to remember- there's a surprise in store, so be there by 7pm and wear your finest aloha- you'll want to look your best!

Don't forget your VIP cards, or pick one up if you don't have one yet

Mahalo, and see everyone on Wednesday!

we'll try and be there! i have an interveiw that day so i may NEED a drink after that.

I'm in. Hopefully Martiki won't have to help me out the door this time! :)

TL

I'll do my best to be there! I stopped by during the install to visit with Bamboo Ben, and the place was looking great. I can't wait to see it all finished. Sorry I missed the opening shindig!

The mai tai's are in.

T

I've only been away from Forbidden Island for one day and I already miss it! I could go tonight but I don't want to get too much of a good thing so I'll see you all tomorrow!

S

I'll try to wiggle my wahine-self there!

Suzanne

On 2006-04-24 14:59, aquaorama wrote:

I think they're hiring someone to do that for him. :D

T

Aloha,
Tikiboy and as many friends as I can Shanghai will be there. I wonder if I can talk my daughter Brandy, the sculptor, ( her website is http://www.drakustudios.com )into bringing her creation of the worlds tallest Tiki Mug with her tomorrow? Warm up a Fugu Bowl cause I'll be there.

Mele Forbidden Island,
Tikiboy

Iam thirsty and hungry!

Liar liar pants on fire! :lol:

On 2006-04-27 01:53, cynfulcynner wrote:

Liar liar pants on fire! :lol:

There was an earthquake, a flood, locust, my car broke down, famine, I ran out of gas, someone took my wallet, a Hurricane...For the love of god it wasn't my fault!!!!! ( Totally stolen form Jake Blues...cica 1980)

T

Last night was another fun night at Forbidden Island! Glad seeing drunkenhat and tikicleen come out from Modesto again, and limptiki from San Jose, and all the local barflies.

Update to drink tally:
Neptune's Garden
China Clipper (2)
Forbidden Island
Coronado Luau Special
Hawaii Kai Treasure (holding in photo)
Krakatoa
Sidewinder's Fang
Coconut Kallaloo
Zombie
Monkeypod
The Combover
Saturn
Captain's Grog (2)
Navy Grog
Pirate Grog
Classic Mai Tai
Suffering Bastard
Missionary's Downfall

[ Edited by: thejab 2006-04-27 17:45 ]

M

WWJD?

Be the first to polish off the menu!

He's out there right now...y'all better hurry up and come in if you even want to stand a chance.

Aloha, here's my drink tally so far:

Forbidden Island
Navy Grog
Captain's Grog
Pirate Grog
China Clipper
Macadamia Nut Chi Chi
Combover
Monkeypod
Coronado Luau Special
Lailani Volcano
Sidewinder's Fang
Mystery Bowl (shared)

(and I've had three different kinds of their beers)

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2006-04-28 01:57 ]

I haven't been keeping track! Here's what I can remember:

China Clipper
Painkiller
Suffering Bastard
Hawaii Kai Treasure (2)
Krakatoa (3 or 4)
Missionary's Downfall
Sidewinder's Fang (2)
Monkeypod
Combover
Saturn
Captain's Grog
Mystery Bowl (shared)

I've had tastes of others':
Forbidden Island
Fugu for Two
Leilani Volcano
Coronado Luau Special
Spindrift
Macadamia Nut Chi Chi
Navy Grog
Pirate Grog

heck i'll get in on this action! here is my list:

classic mai tai
spindrift
fugu for 2
mystery bowl
forbidden island
coronado luau special
monkeypod
pirate grog
hawaii kai treasure
krakatoa
missionary's downfall
captain's grog

here is my list so far;

14 glasses of water
some fries stolen off of a frriends plate when they were in the bathroom
5 flasks of sneaked in Bacardi at body temperature
1 happy hour priced Forbidden Island
lots of sips of other's people's drinks!

ZAZZ

T

Last night I was driving and left early and headed over to Eli's to dance to 60s soul music, but I managed to squeeze in a couple more (the Painkiller was better then the Tiki-Ti's!). Sorry Humuhumu, tastes don't count! I probably tasted 30 people's drinks - no wonder my throat is sore! :wink:

Update to drink tally:
Neptune's Garden
China Clipper (2)
Forbidden Island
Coronado Luau Special
Hawaii Kai Treasure (holding in photo)
Krakatoa
Sidewinder's Fang
Coconut Kallaloo
Zombie
Monkeypod
The Combover
Saturn
Captain's Grog (2)
Navy Grog
Pirate Grog
Classic Mai Tai
Suffering Bastard
Missionary's Downfall
La Floridita Dacquiri
Painkiller

[ Edited by: thejab 2006-04-28 10:35 ]

Besides Tiki Central's crowd, what is the "feel" of the local crowd forming. I mean as in a college crowd, older crowd, etc..
Just curious.

One night worth at the TC pre party
1- Forrbidden Island
4 or 5 big sips of the Mystery drink in the Ohana Hut
1/2-Fugo (Unga couldn't finish it for some reason. He told me but I didn't understand what he was sayin' I just nodded and smiled:D
20- Beers I think the were called Tiki Ale or maybe it was forbidden Ale, possibly Wahine or Longboard Ale.. Jeez I don't remember it was some kind of ale.

M

On 2006-04-28 11:00, Unga Bunga wrote:
Besides Tiki Central's crowd, what is the "feel" of the local crowd forming. I mean as in a college crowd, older crowd, etc..
Just curious.

Big mix: locals, neighbors, old Lincoln's regulars, off-duty cops, rockabilly types. Good variety.

There's been talk of both motorcycle & scooter clubs showing up on sundays- Mods vs. Rockers!

T

On 2006-04-28 11:00, Unga Bunga wrote:
Just curious.

Every night it's filled with incredibly hot women!

I knew that's what you wanted to hear!

But seriously, earlier in the evening it's an older crowd, with lots of local folks from the neighborhood dressed casually. They seem to feel comfortable enough to hang out in this bar more than any bar I've been to on the island. Later the crowd is younger. There are a lot of the local bar crowd I know from the Lost Weekend bar, many decked out in vintage aloha wear. A lot of people get very dressed up to go there. Last night there was a group of 6 or so women totally decked out in vintage attire, flowers in their hair, etc. Mrsmiley knew one from high school so we were chatting with her. It seems they have a regular gathering when they get decked out in their finest vintage wear and visit a bar or do something else. We were telling her about TC - that we have regular "meetings" which are very serious affairs of reading minutes (menus) and bringing up important topics (like what drink we are having next)!

But there are also a lot of folks in their early 20s going there, but nobody has gotten rowdy or annoying when I have been there.

M

There's been talk of both motorcycle & scooter clubs showing up on sundays- Mods vs. Rockers!

Hmm, I can wear my old Merton parka and my RAF leather flight boots and smack everybody! It's been 16 months since my last bar brawl...Hi, my name is midnite and I have anger issues....I am so there. Just kidding, I broke up that fight at the Plimsouls show. Unless there's a real belligerent senior citizen crowd at FI, I should be ok. I don't take shit from old folks.

It looks like I am "go" for visit to Forbidden Island, this weekend. I know I know, but there were issues...visas, interpol, immunizations, my name on a no-fly list...forces aligned which prevented me from traveling to Alameda.

I have to imbibe in, let's see, eleven seperate drinks. Saturday then, eh?

Behind the curve, but still ahead on points,
High number midnite

H

On 2006-04-28 10:35, thejab wrote:
Sorry Humuhumu, tastes don't count!

They do to me! My primary goal is to see what each drink on the menu tastes like, so I can help noobs connect with a drink they'll really like. Finishing a complete drink of everything on the menu is a distant second goal. Hopefully, I've got many, many years to get there -- no reason to rush.

T

On 2006-04-28 13:05, Humuhumu wrote:

On 2006-04-28 10:35, thejab wrote:
Sorry Humuhumu, tastes don't count!

They do to me!

I was just kidding darlin'. Taste is key!

On 2006-04-28 11:40, martiki wrote:
There's been talk of both motorcycle & scooter clubs showing up on sundays-
Mods vs. Rockers!

So they're "Mockers"
Ringo ~ Hard Days Night :)

On Wednesday night some of you asked about the custom embroidery I did for the bartenders' shirts at Forbidden Island. Here's a link to an old thread about my sewing:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=9898&forum=7&hilite=sew

On 2006-04-29 02:10, cynfulcynner wrote:
On Wednesday night some of you asked about the custom embroidery I did for the bartenders' shirts at Forbidden Island. Here's a link to an old thread about my sewing:

I meant to mention Cyn, you did an awesome job on the shirts.
I really wanted to buy one (not for sale) so I settled for a cool t-shirt.

On 2006-04-29 12:28, Unga Bunga wrote:

On 2006-04-29 02:10, cynfulcynner wrote:

I meant to mention Cyn, you did an awesome job on the shirts.
I really wanted to buy one (not for sale) so I settled for a t-shirt.

The embroidered shirts are so cool, that I can't even get one! :(

:wink:
~T

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2006-04-30 11:02 ]

M

*I have to imbibe in, let's see, eleven seperate drinks. Saturday then, eh?

I have journeyed to the island, the mysterious and taboo Isle de Alameda. A full recap and candid snaps to follow, but here's my effort on the cocktail menu.

With the help of a long straw, several diversionary tactics, "Hey, is that Tom Jones!?!", and sitting in front of the talented mixologist, Sonya, I was able to kick-the tires on the following:

Headhunter
China Clipper
Leilani Volcano
Forbidden Island
Hawaii Kai Treasure
Krakatoa
Sidewinder's Fang
Monkeypod
The Combover
Saturn
Classic Mai Tai
Painkiller
Banana Mamacow
Chamborlada
Island Mai Tai

Some real fine cocktails, with a few stand-outs such as the Forbidden Island, Hawaii Kai Treasure, and of course the Sidewinder's Fang.

Alameda is far, but worth it...
midnite

T

Witness me completing the entire drink menu tonight!

H

Wouldn't miss it. See you tonight!

M

I'm thirsty and hungry

I can't wait for tonight! Here's an updated list for me (I snuck a few drinks in over the weekend):

Forbidden Island
Navy Grog
Captain's Grog
Pirate Grog
China Clipper
Macadamia Nut Chi Chi
Combover
Monkeypod
Coronado Luau Special
Lailani Volcano
Sidewinder's Fang
Mystery Bowl (shared)
Painkiller
Island Mai Tai
Chamborlada (shared)

[This list does not include drinks that I only got a sip of -- I'd post a list of those too, but I can't remember them]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2006-05-03 15:12 ]

T
thejab posted on Wed, May 3, 2006 3:24 PM

Impressive Hanford, especially considering you had about a dozen beers there as well!

Thank Jab, yeah, I haven't counted my duplicates either ... I've had quite a few China Clippers and perhaps a few other duplicates.

T

If we're listing (and after this list, I'm definitely listing)

Forbidden Island
Neptune's Garden
China Clipper

Fugu for 2 (or as Mai Tai puts it "Fugu for 1..make it a double!")
Pirate Grog
Monkeypod
Coronado Luau Special
Sidewinder's Fang
Painkiller
Hawaii Kai Treasure
Krakatoa
Classic Mai Tai
Island Mai Tai
Banana Mamacow
Coconut Kallaloo
Painkiller

Lots and lots of water and a coke. Humuhumu made sure to point out that the coke is excellent. This is important to some.

I'll be there tonite to add a couple and to witness the Jab beat the menu. A mighty endeavor!

On 2006-05-03 10:57, thejab wrote:
Witness me completing the entire drink menu tonight!

I saw it, and it was a beautiful thing! 8)

T

Aloha,
See the post on "Welcome to Forbidden Island",page 11, on the General Tiki Forums for the results of "The Jabs" quest to be the first to drink his way through the thirty eight items on the Forbidden Island's extraordinary menu.
tikiboy

M

As it was announced that the Jab was finisihing his quest to drink every drink on the menu, a group of people started chanting "SLURRED SPEECH! , SLURRED SPEECH!" as opposed to the traditional "Speech!,speech!"

Last night was a blast! Great to see the Jab go around the world! Whoayeah, I broke the halfway mark! Here's an updated tally for me:

1. Navy Grog
  2. Captain's Grog
  3. Pirate Grog
  4. China Clipper
  5. Macadamia Nut Chi Chi
  6. Combover
  7. Monkeypod
  8. Coronado Luau Special
  9. Lailani Volcano
  10. Sidewinder's Fang
  11. Mystery Bowl (shared)
  12. Painkiller
  13. Island Mai Tai
  14. Chamborlada (shared)
  15. Neptune's Garden
  16. Hawaii Kai Treasure
  17. Fog Cutter
  18. Scorpion Bowl (shared)
  19. Saturn

[This list does not include drinks that I only got a sip of -- I'd post a list of those too, but I can't remember them]

T
thejab posted on Thu, May 4, 2006 5:13 PM

If it's OK with you Humuhumu, I grabbed these off your photo site:

Number 35:

Number 36:

Number 37:

Feeling pretty drunk:

Jim, a water please!

I said a water!

Staring down my opponent.

Number 38!:

Alright Jabber!!

What mug is the jab drinking #36 out of? It looks like a Munktiki fugu....but different.
Way to go jab!

T

All right Jab, Give it up. What was the best drink!

T

Ok. I spent the whole Tiki Oasis weekend comparing the drinks at the Hanalei and the Bali Hai to Forbidden Island.

We just kept looking at each other with that telling glance that says "we are sooo spoiled".

Not to say that there weren't a couple good drinks on the room crawl, but I'm ready to get back on the barstool.

My long way of saying...

I'm thirsty.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 865 replies