Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Which car is the most tikish?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 265 replies

Hi
Thought I would just show you our 2 tiki wagons, 62 Chevy Suburban 'The Tahitian' and a 59 Chevy Brookwood Wagon 'The Headhunter', hopefully next year there will be a 70 VW kombi too!!

[ Edited by: TIKIWAGON 2007-08-24 14:10 ]

T

For me the most factory tiki car would be a 1953 Kaiser Manhattan or the even rarer Dragon. These with the factory Bambu (thats how they spelled it) vinyl on the inside and the dragons had it over the whole roof are so very cool. It came in several colors but the bleached bambu is so real looking. When I had my car I had people always touching the vinyl because they thought it was wood. I just picked up a 79 Aspen station wagon to build a replica of the fantasy island cars. It was cheap and in the right colors and will be real easy to do. If anyone has any good pictures I would love to see them. Havn't found any good shots of just the car. Thanks, Scott

H
hewey posted on Fri, Aug 24, 2007 6:02 PM

On 2007-08-24 14:09, TIKIWAGON wrote:
Hi
Thought I would just show you our 2 tiki wagons, 62 Chevy Suburban 'The Tahitian' and a 59 Chevy Brookwood Wagon 'The Headhunter', hopefully next year there will be a 70 VW kombi too!!

Man, I love your rides! Ive found both of them on the net over the years, separately, and love both of them! Can you pleeeease post some more pics of your '59 wagon, I LOVE that bellflower look :D

Hi
Thanks for the nice comments, here are some more photos of the 59 wagon.

[ Edited by: TIKIWAGON 2007-08-25 13:27 ]

H
hewey posted on Sat, Aug 25, 2007 6:28 PM

Thanks! Soooo coool :D

Here's the back end of my 'bird. I don't know how tiki it is, but it's definitley from the era...1962 Bulletbird....it's a full rocketship.....
We'll race, Danny. You might have me off the line, but she'll catch you on the back end...

H
hewey posted on Fri, Feb 22, 2008 2:44 AM

Sweet bird Lucky! Love the bellflower look! :D :D Um, one more thing - MORE PICS! :lol:

I have a SmartCar on order. It looks vaguely tiki-ish. And could look even better if appropriately tricked out.

Alright, here's one more....
I'll post more as I keep working on things. The interrior still needs to be totally redone.

H

On 2008-02-22 05:48, JanetMermaid wrote:
I have a SmartCar on order. It looks vaguely tiki-ish. And could look even better if appropriately tricked out.

Hey that reminds me. I used to have an AMC Hornet that I acquired from a friend. It's sort of like a Ford Pinto on muscle relaxants. This is vaguely tiki-ish too, no? Okay... no. Anyway, I had to get rid of it 'cause it caught fire one day (leaky fuel hose). True story.

[ Edited by: Hakalugi 2014-04-21 23:04 ]

TZ

To be a "car' does it require an engine? Pedal faster, you scurvy dogs!

[ Edited by: Tiki Zen 2008-02-22 14:34 ]

On 2008-02-22 14:23, Hakalugi wrote:
... like a Ford Pinto on muscle relaxants...

:lol:

About 10 years ago Bruce meyers started making Manx Kits (Dune Buggies) again for under 6K , and now there is a company who will build one for you that's ready to drive.

http://www.meyersmanx.com/

http://www.mendeolamotors.com/

Here is my contribution.....My 66 Bug!!

[ Edited by: Meheadhunter 2008-02-27 11:23 ]

M

I remember passing this one night on the 101.
The tiki lamps looked cool.

I

r.i.p. boyd coddington:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=203880824

maybe he was a tikifan - he was always wearing
a beautiful hawaiian-themed shirt ?!

T

I think the Mazda3 5-door has some tiki "eyes"

[ Edited by: thefuzz 2008-03-06 19:23 ]

[ Edited by: thefuzz 2008-04-29 17:53 ]

That Smart Car is pretty cute Janet!!! I have a GEM and will be tiki-ing it up. Here is a little news blurb about my community and the NEVs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKRVmOy12Vo

I would love to get my GEM custom painted in a tiki theme but don't have the mula. However, I do have some tiki decals, so will get it spiffed up in a couple of weeks and post a pic here. I already have my personalized license plate "VampTki" :)

Channel surfing this evening, I watched an episode of Country Music Television's Trick My Truck where they took a 1993 white Ford van and made it into a tiki vehicle for a band on their way to celebrate Spring Break.

Here are some screen captures of before and after pictures:

Before.

After.

Interior after makeover with game console in center.

Tiki Trailer for band gear.

Close on Trailer Tiki.

T

Cool! CMT has a page on their site dedicated to this episode.
http://www.cmt.com/shows/dyn/Trick_My_Truck/131768/episode.jhtml
You can view the episode, an "extra" video, and still photos.
(Edited to improve link, etc.)

[ Edited by: Thomas 2008-05-22 13:09 ]

On 2008-03-21 23:48, Trader Tom wrote:
Channel surfing this evening, I watched an episode of Country Music Television's Trick My Truck where they took a 1993 white Ford van and made it into a tiki vehicle for a band on their way to celebrate Spring Break.

Here are some screen captures of before and after pictures:

Before.

After.

Interior after makeover with game console in center.

Tiki Trailer for band gear.

Close on Trailer Tiki.

The close-up of the last picture looks like the Tiki has a big zit on its chin! LOL

On 2008-02-27 12:06, Murph wrote:
I remember passing this one night on the 101.
The tiki lamps looked cool.

AHhhhh... Tiki Al & his Tiki Samurai... nice pose

Although my VW Golf is basically a Non-Tiki car, I am really digging my pinstriped Tikis! First up, I had Japanese pinstriper Mr. G stripe a little one on my rear trunk lid...

Yesterday, I stopped on by local socal lowbrow artist Doug Dorr's pad to get this one done...

Doug did the Tiki on my hood entirely by freehand! I got to hang out and watch Doug do his thing. When Doug finished, we both agreed that this guy would henceforth be named "Mongo Mongo".

H
hewey posted on Mon, Apr 28, 2008 9:16 PM

Holden - love the stripes from Mr G and Doug! Sweet :D

Here's some sweet tiki/pinstriping pieces from the "pinhead lounge" :D

what these don't show are the reed mat doorpanels & headliner & the 'upholstery' that matches a shirt I have.
The car is also possessed.

B

MakeDaMug - it's like tattoos for your car! Very cool. I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for an artist to do that on my car around here. Oh well - I would probably just get into an accident after it was finished!

H
hewey posted on Tue, Apr 29, 2008 5:26 PM

On 2008-04-29 15:28, beadtiki wrote:
MakeDaMug - it's like tattoos for your car! Very cool. I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for an artist to do that on my car around here. Oh well - I would probably just get into an accident after it was finished!

Im also on a pinstriping forum. If you're interested I can ask for reccomended pinstripers in your neck of the woods :D

B

Thanks but I don't think I could afford it and putting pinstriping on my 91 Honda would be like pearls on a swine! LOL Kinda like my tattoos!

On 2008-04-29 17:26, hewey wrote:

On 2008-04-29 15:28, beadtiki wrote:

Im also on a pinstriping forum. If you're interested I can ask for reccomended pinstripers in your neck of the woods :D

I saw this Tiki RV on craigslist from Santa Barbara and had to post these pics.

The link to the listing is on Tiki marketplace.

Now that is a Tiki Road Trip waiting to happen.

T

Just found this topic so I have to add my car. Cheap swap meet seat covers & some lauhala on the door panels make a big difference.

I dig the grass door panels, I'd like to do that to my jeep. :D

T

The CMT "Trick my Truck" episode about tikifying a van, discussed earlier in this thread, can now be viewed online. From this page you can view the episode, an "extra" segment, and a gallery of still photos. We just got the same type of van a few days ago so it's pretty inspiring.
http://www.cmt.com/shows/dyn/Trick_My_Truck/131768/episode.jhtml

Not had trick my truck in the uk - didnt now if i should paddle harder or grab the banjo lol loving the tiki van

Done a tiki van in the uk not to the same standard a vw T4 Transporter think you call them vanagon's

have one under construction which is getting a tiki bar so i can trade tikis from at vw shows (and drink out off)

some sweet rides on here though got to be more its the us for crying out loud

B

Definately paddle harder!

H
hewey posted on Sat, Jun 7, 2008 7:12 PM

Found some cool rides on flicker

Stopped at Coconut Joe's Restaurant in Bakersfield on my way home from Yosemite and found this awesome Tiki Truck in the parking lot.

Here's my wife's station wagon - she loves it now we got it painted pink and white metalflake. Tiki interior coming soon..

S

I think that's one car that can pull pink off. Love it!!

[i]On 2007-08-10 15:30, sputnikmoss wrote:[/i

Here is our '69 ID with the green '65 peeking in

I drove a burgundy '71 ID for 10 years. Love the look of the DS Citroens - and think they're appropriately Shag-like.

For the past few years I've gone all proletarian - driving a Reliant K. However, you'll notice Plymouth's starfish-inspired symbol gracing the trunk lock cover!

Love the '63 Buick and the pink Pontiac shagin'-wagon

This is [was] Kontiki, our 1962 Ford Falcon Fordor DeLuxe Station Wagon.

Postscript: We sold this car on Sunday, June 29, 2009!

[Edited to update ownership status]

http://www.labyrinth13.com
http://www.myspace.com/labyrinth_13
http://www.myspace.com/lmlibertine

[ Edited by: Sailor Curt 2008-06-30 06:16 ]

kontiki id be happy to own her shes is perfect can you post her to the uk!!!! had a reall hard time off some visitors from USA last year about my station wagon envy they said i had no style!!

Yeh right - they had no soul!! if i was in the US i have one in my garage along with a few others rides!!!

C
Chub posted on Thu, Jun 26, 2008 4:06 PM

My current Tiki ride, a 1976 VW Convertible.

G

On 2008-06-24 22:12, Dustycajun wrote:

That looks an awful lot like a Wayne Coombs tiki. But in California?

On 2008-07-01 16:05, GatorRob wrote:
That looks an awful lot like a Wayne Coombs tiki. But in California?

GatorRob,

Here is a close-up of me and the Tiki. Also included are a couple of Tikis from the inside the restaurant for your inspection.

Small bump anymore?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 265 replies