Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

The experiment continues.... (Planters Rum Punch)

Pages: 1 46 replies

Ok... so, in an effort to emulate two of my personal heroes, Basement Kahuna and Swanky, both of whom I had the good fortune to meet at Coontiki last year, I plan to make and drink all the drinks on Grog Log, Intoxica, and Taboo Table.

The adventure began a few months back with the book Tiki Drinks, by Adam Rocke.... and about $1500 in liquor purchases to try and make drinks (damn that's too much money$$!!@) But, I found I only liked about 50% of the drinks I was making.

Then I got my hands on Intoxica. So far, I have enjoyed all the drinks I have made from there... bought Grog Log and Taboo Table. I'v made the Beachbums Own (p. 17), the Miehana (p. 56), and the Carioca Hawaiian Cocktail (p. 22). Liked all three, and so far the Miehana is my favorite.

So today the adventure OFFICIALLY began with the Tortuga (Grog Log p. 83). Used fresh lemon and lime juice, store OJ, Lemon Hart 151, Bacardi 151, Hiram's White Creme de Cacao, and Hiram's Orange Curacao, and Gallo Italian Vermouth.

Liked it a lot! The drink manages topack a lot of alcohol in one drink, although you wouldn't notice it. This time I actually used the Pilsener glass, and the lime wedge, which my wife says was "gay".

I just bought some Pernod and Maraschino Liqueor... so we'll see what tomorrow brings...

[ Edited by: Davez_tikiz 2006-11-18 07:49 ]

[ Edited by: Davez_tikiz 2006-11-26 19:41 ]

H

On 2006-10-23 20:16, Davez_tikiz wrote:
I just bought some ... Maraschino Liqueor... so we'll see what tomorrow brings...

Good move. You must try a "Gone the Beachcomber" (Grog Log) ASAP!

J
JTD posted on Tue, Oct 24, 2006 7:47 AM

And the Demerara Dry Float from Intoxica. I'm at work so I can't check, but I think "Gone the Beachcomber" was the Bum's attempt to replicate the Demerara Dry Float before he'd tracked down the original recipe. Try 'em both and compare.

JTD

Alright... based on some good advice... tonight's menu was the Demerara Dry Float and the Gone the Beachcomber, which is Beachbum's version of the beachcombers DDF. Made them side by side... Lemon Hart Demerara and 151, Trader Vics Passion Fruit and rock candy syrups, fresh lemon and lime, and maraschino liqueur.

They were both good.... the demerara dry float was more lime flavored than the other... I think the Gone the Beachcomber I liked a little better. Certainly not the instantaneous buzz like last night's selection.

Oh, and for the first time... after several tries... I managed to ACTUALLY float the 151!

Two more down....

I think the Intoxica recipe for the Demerara float may be off a tad. He calls for 2 1/2 ounces lime juice! Way too much. The trader vic recipe is identical with the exception being the lime juice. The trader calls for 1/2 ounce lime 1/2 ounce lemon. If you make it that way, its perfect.
Astronaut

Agreed... the Gone with the Beachcomber had much less lime... and was a better drink in my opinion. That was the one difference I could taste (although I knew what went in it... and my wife couldn't pinpoint the difference not knowing the ingredients)

Tonight's experiment... the Test Pilot.. p. 82 Grog Log. It was my first drink with Pernod. I was very careful to pour into the 1/8 teaspoon measurer in the sink and not over the drink itself. Used Myers Dark Jamaican rum and cheapo "Prestige" light Puerto Rican. I ran out of limes and had to use Realime juice instead of fresh.

I didn't much care for this one. Interestingly, when I took the first sip immediately after mixing it, it tasted super strong and yucky. But after a couple minutes I went back, and it had mellowed a lot. Better, but still not good in my opinion.

I'll have to try another Pernod drink to see if that's what I didn't like. Suggestions on a good one???

On 2006-10-25 19:48, Davez_tikiz wrote:
...But after a couple minutes I went back, and it had mellowed a lot. Better, but still not good in my opinion.

I'll have to try another Pernod drink to see if that's what I didn't like. Suggestions on a good one???

I don't have a suggestion on a drink because I suspect that you like your cocktails a bit sweeter than I do....

I do, however, have a suggestion that may help overall: For the drinks that go in the shaker, shake hard and long (giggle all you want, it is kinda funny). Shake until your hand goes numb from the cold. Shake until frost forms on the outside of the shaker. Then shake a bit more. Most tiki drinks have a lot of ingredients in them and you need to work hard to get them all to combine well, and never forget the water you are adding while shaking. No one wants to admit you are adding water to the drink because it sounds bad, but you are adding water for a reason and that is to help balance all of the flavors.

Enjoy the journey and let us know what you find along the way....

S

Whoa. I just read this. Thanks for the props.

First, what I do to float is bend a perfectly good spoon 90 degrees backwards. Now you can put the spoon over your drink and the curved side should be up. Pour your float slowly over the back of the spoon. That will keep it on top and not mix in.

Secondly, these drinks often have a very different beginning and middle and sometime, even an ending. You'll find you may like a drink after the first few sips that on the first sip you did not like. Especially the more tart drinks. You may just get tart on the first swig. After the 4th, you get other flavors.

The Test Pilot is a tough recipe. It's an odd drink too. Be sure to first, make it perfectly and second, double the recipe to make getting the right amount of Pernod easier. In that recipe, a drop or too off can spoil it. Or invite a couple over and mix a batch of four. Even easier! If all else fails, drink it in the company of Pablus. Seems to much better when he is around.

Instead of the ReaLime, get a bottle of Nellies Key Lime juice. It may be hidden in the baking section of your grocery store. It's not equal to fresh squeezed, but it's as close as you can get in a bottle. You may have to use less than called for though. Key Lime is a bit stronger than Persian Lime juice.

If you liked the Demarara Dry Float, I'm surprised you didn't enjoy the Test Pilot. But, move on and come back to it later.

C & A.... thanks! I'll pay more attention to shake time... shoot for the "hard and long"... mine might have been hard but a little short(hmmmm....) It did seem like the second drink was a better mix.

Swank... great tip on the float! It's definitely a learned skill. My first few went straight to the bottom. I'll warp a spoon and give this a shot. I'll try the test pilot again some day soon.... and double the recipe. Do you double the Pernod? A 1/4 teaspoon would be easier. As for the realime... I'll give that a try, although I do try to have fresh lemons and limes at all times.

In tonight's episode...we try the Spindrift (grog log p. 78). Used fresh lemon, TV passion fruit syrup, imitation vanilla, Myers Dark, Lemon Hart Demerara, and cheapo light puerto rican.

Definitely a very different drink than the test pilot. This one is quite a bit sweeter. I liked it, although its not one I'd drink a lot. A lot of liquid... like 11 oz. in the recipe. I wonder if I used real vanilla if it would be different? Too bad my wife's not home, she'd like this one. Oh well, more for me!

off to the Grogalizer to vote!

G

The Spindrift is one of my favorites. I love the vanilla taste. And a large drink is never something I will complain about. :wink:

Pernod... try a dropper instead of pouring. I can't remember how many drops are in 1/8 tsp, but I have it written down in my Grog Log copy.

G

Oh, and the Test Pilot... I back off on the lime a little and raise the falernum a 1/4 oz from what is in the Grog Log. (I'm going from memory here, as I don't have my books with me.) A little more sweet and less sour that way, but not too much. You might try that.

Chip, I've never done a side-by-side. How close is that to the Mai-Kai's Jet Pilot?

[ Edited by: GatorRob 2006-10-27 08:54 ]

K

Might I suggest two of the classics to try soon?

Painkiller (buy some Pusser's and consume these until you can't feel your legs. Then drink the Pusser's neat until this doesn't bother you)

Singapore Sling (possibly my all time favorite... but then I do adore gin)

Ahu

I have a feeling that if I ever attempted an "experiment" like this there'd be a B.O.L.O. issued for me within two weeks!

[ Edited by: GentleHangman 2006-10-28 09:11 ]

[ Edited by: GentleHangman 2006-10-28 09:12 ]

Rob... thanks. Let me know about the drops....I went through my kid medicine droppers, and they only go to 1/4 tsp.

What's a B.O.L.O.????

Off to find Pussers....

Ok... with Pussers in hand, I made the Painkiller (grog Log p. 59). Enjoyed it, but it seemed like it needs a little more alcohol. Next time I'll try 1/2 - 1 oz more Pussers.

[ Edited by: Davez_tikiz 2006-10-28 19:22 ]

"B.O.L.O." = "Be On the Look-Out" for...........That's Police lingo.

On 2006-10-28 19:21, Davez_tikiz wrote:
Ok... with Pussers in hand, I made the Painkiller (grog Log p. 59). Enjoyed it, but it seemed like it needs a little more alcohol. Next time I'll try 1/2 - 1 oz more Pussers.

Be carful adding the extra booze..... Pussers is an overproof rum so it will sneak up on you if you don't keep an eye on it.

H
Helz posted on Sun, Oct 29, 2006 4:37 PM

DT,

Actually I agree with you completely on the ammount of rum being adusted in a Painkiller. In fact, so does the Pusser's Rum company, which is why the recipe comes with numbers corresponding to the parts rum in the recipe...

Click Here then click on the "Painkiller® Recipe"

And I agree with Chip completley about keeping an eye on the Pusser's...lost half of Superbowl Sunday last Feburary that way...

GH... I like it! B.O.L.O...

Chip... thanks. point taken.. I'll go easy... and use the guidelines from the web page. thanks Helz!

Today we left Beachbum Berry and tried the Reverb Crash... winner of the TC drink contest. All I can say is..........YUM!!!!!

Tonight's episode... the Volcano. We had some family over, so I kept them flowing. They were good! Used Lemon Hart Demerara, Appleton Estate Jamaican, and instead of puerto rican gold, Barcelona Anejo from Colombia. Kept them flowing all night... it was a big hit. Didn't have a bowl, so I just poured from the shaker.

[ Edited by: Davez_tikiz 2006-10-31 20:50 ]

Tonight we went Blue.... the Blue Reef from Grog Log p. 22. fresh lime juice, Hiram's Blue Curacao, Galliano, and cheapo light rum. Good stuff... you can definitely taste the Galliano's in this one, although it's not overpowering. My wife's comment, "they're getting better!"

I'm almost afraid to ask . . . . what's your "Bar Bill" thusfar?

I shudder to think! I've been buying and buying and buying.... probably about $2,000 so far.... more or less.

So this where you've been Dave!
Dave!, put down the cups, and come back over to the carving thread for a little bit.
It looks like your having fun over here, but your old carving buddies miss you. Tell me: Are you trying to become the tiki multi man or something? "Not only will Davez Tikiz carve custom tikis, but he will build and decorate your tiki bar, and upon completion, he will develop a signature original drink, appropriately named by dave himself, and he will bartend all future tiki themed parties!!!!" Are you going to make your own mug next? It's about all you have left to try.
I got all excited when I saw a truck full of concrete blocks last weekend. But alas, you cancelled so you could go to liqour barn's "Fall Madness sale". No Doub, boo-hoo! Some guy had the same color eyes, but it just wasn't the same...
Mix it UP!
Buzzy
PS You have 90 days to post in creating, or I'm going to PM the new moderator and have him change your TC name to Davez Drinkiz :)

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2006-11-03 02:40 ]

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Nov 3, 2006 6:13 AM

The Blue drinks are popular ones. The large drinks like the Volcano are usually too. The "social" drinks like the Mystery Bowl are meant to appeal to everyone, not excite the gormand.

$2,000? Wow. That's high! I suppose I've spent that over the years, but if I had to cost out my current bar contents, it would be around 60 bottle at about $20 each on average. Hmm $1200. That's likely high. Dang. Did I spend that much????

Keep slingin 'em! It's a great way to cruise through winter. Oh wait. You don't have winter over there do you?

You won't realize it, but, you are getting a lot of knowledge. It'll translate and you'll be able to grab some bottles and pour a good drink off the cuff soon. No recipe.

Buzz.. you mean (hic),you wan me ta (hic) put down da bottles (hic- burp), and pick up the chisels?

I totally missed you guys this weekend! Dustin called Saturday night to say what an awesome event it was. So instead, when not takin care of the little one post-surgery, I cleaned out the garage and sharpened some gouges.

So anyways... I'm at my school yesterday, and I found in a storage closet... a KILN!!!

Alright alright... I'll go carve something! Jeez! Don't tell Aaron on me!

Swank.... what's that word you used.... "winter?" Oh yeah, that's when the palms stop growing for a little while. You know, I started thinking about it.. that might have been a little high. I'm sure it's at least around $1400. Hard to judge, cause after the first few big purchases, its a $25 here for maraschino liqueur, $25 there for pernod, etc....

Thanks for the advice.... I did notice I'm starting to look at a recipe and get a vague idea ofwhat it may end up like.

Last night... the Coronado Luau Special... Grog Logp. 70. Came out good... little on the sweet side.. next time I'll use more ice and make it slushier.

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Nov 3, 2006 7:28 AM

Have you made a honey syrup yet to go with your sugar syrup? It'll make life a lot easier. Boil them together at a 50/50 ratio and store it in the fridge. When a recipe calls for honey, you use that and double the amount. The little water you are adding won't make a difference, but it'll mix better and just be plain easier on you.

Pretty good going. You have not poured anythign down the drain yet because you just couldn't finish it...

G

Try the Voodoo Priestess recipe over on the General forum. Good stuff for the holidays. Voodoo spice rum will run you about 20 bucks though. But what's another 20 bucks when you've already taken out a second mortgage on the house? :)

thanks Swanky... I've been meaning to get some honey- don't have any yet.

Grob... that recipe looks pretty complicated. I'll need some Voodoo and some Cruzan, and some pumpkin pie spice. May have to give that a try.

Got some honey... thanks for the tip Swank. Tonight tried the Navy Grog, Grog Log p. 53. Used Myers, Lemon Hart, cheapo white puerto rican, fresh lime. I think tonight I was in the mood for something not so strong, and the Navy Grog is a strong tassting drink. Still not bad..

G

On 2006-11-04 20:55, Davez_tikiz wrote:
Grob... that recipe looks pretty complicated. I'll need some Voodoo and some Cruzan, and some pumpkin pie spice. May have to give that a try.

Yeah, I understand. But Cruzan is a staple for a tiki bar and very affordable. Anything that calls for a Virgin Island rum, pull out the Cruzan. Also, read this.

Good advice... I'll grab the Cruzan soon.... where do I get Pumpkin pie spice? is it common?

Anyways, tonight I tried the Rum Barrel, grog log p. 71. Got some Alize yesterday. Nice Drink! Didn't seem strong at first, even though it had the shaky face strong drink guy on it. But then 5 minutes laterI stood up and thought, "oohhh..".

It was even better in the brand new Grog Tiki Mug!!!

On 2006-11-07 19:10, Davez_tikiz wrote:
where do I get Pumpkin pie spice? is it common?

yes, should be very common, found in the spice Aisle of your local supermarket. It's usually (alphabetically) right after "poultry spice mix".

...I never was very good at spelling....

[ Edited by: haole'akamai 2006-11-08 19:40 ]

G

On 2006-11-07 22:05, Haole'akamai wrote:
found in the spice isle of your local supermarket

Er, that would be the spice aisle. But I kinda like spice isle. Gives it an exotic flair. :)

Darn! I was on Travelocity looking for my ticket to the Spice Isle! Figure it's gotta be in the Carribean somewheres!

V

Hey Dave, Did you see in the Grog log, they named a drink after me?( Kidding)
You have to try the Vontiki!!!

I did see it! I went to buy some Barenjager and it was freakin $38 a little bottle! One of these dayz./.....

H

Dave, maybe you can first buy the small bottles like the ones they use on airplanes, and make the drinks, just to try it to see if you like them????

S

I'm with you there. I have yet to get the Barenjager. And, they don't make the oddball stuff like that in tiny bottles. I have a short list of things I have not owned and thus a few drinks I have not made. Benedictine, Barenjager, Stroh, Okolehao ( I just got a tiny bottle so that I have a taste comparison at least) and a couple of others.

One I do suggest is Galliano. A few of my favorites call for it. Don't rush out and get it, but, when the time comes to invest in another liqueur, you might think of that. It does come in a couple of sizes to ease the wallet hit.

And if you don't have them, a good juicer and ice crusher. I think those have been talked to death on here. I still prefer the vintage ones. The Oster Snoflake Ice Crusher and the Juice-O-Mat juicer with the tilt top.

Actually they do make the Barenjager in a "mini". I know because I have one and just posted about it in another thread. It took a lot of looking, but it is out there.

I probably did spend at least as much on gas as on a larger bottle, but if you manage to find several different obscure liquors then you may make it out ahead.

-T.J.

Thanks TJ.... I found it a little cheaper, but now I can't seem to find Stroh...

Well after a week of being to worn out from work to drink, last night I went for the Voodoo Priestess....Wow!!!!! That drink is unique! I really really liked it..

Used EJ brandy, Cruzan Dark, Voodoo, fresh lime and lemon, and even though I shouldn't have, used Aromatic bitters instead of orange bitters. I'll pick some up next week. Still.,... Great Drink!!!! one of my favorites.

That reminds me... I think a Voodoo Priestess is just the ticket for me to have before Thanksgiving turkey.

P

I made a Voodoo Priestess this last weekend and was pleased with the results. I did not have any Cruzan Dark, so I used Barbancourt (3*) with a little Coruba. Since the Barbancourt is Haitian it kind of ups the Voodoo vibe a bit. I didn't have time to make the syrup myself, so I used Torani Pumpkin Spice syrup. I used 1 1/2 oz of the syrup rather than 2. I think it could have used 2 since the Torani may have less stong a flavor as the home made. I used fresh squeezed lemon and lime and I though it was maybe a bit too citrusy. The extra syrup might have helped that. All in all an excellent drink. Kudos to Thayer for an excellent contribution to Tiki mixology.

Spent a week at the folks house in Colorado.. returned thirsty for a drink! Made Planter's Rum Punch from Intoxica.... rum barbancourt, myers dark, gold cheapo rum, fresh juices. Nice drink! Good balance- nice lime flavor... even the wife liked it!

Pages: 1 46 replies