Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

www.FreakyBoutiki.com 14th Anniversario Tee Shirts by Big Toe

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 337 replies

New from Hawaiian Island Creations this season comes official L&L BARBEQUE boardshorts!!! Heavy duty construction as always from this time honored surf brand and just look at those mouth watering plates of Chicken Katsu and Loco Moko!!!!
Get 'em while they're hot! Suppies are limited.
$52.99

G
GROG posted on Thu, Feb 25, 2010 4:10 PM

Is it just me or did I miss the "Babalu on page 20"?

It's good to see Erik's face again, he always makes me :) (And Toni always makes me :blush: )

Hodadhank!
I'm on the mainland this coming week - for the art show at La Luz de Jesus, - however will be tooling around San Diego on Friday morning/noon and am soooo looking forward to visiting the famous Freaky boutiki!!!

See ya' on the 5th!
Brad~

H

On 2010-02-25 21:30, MadDogMike wrote:
Is it just me or did I miss the "Babalu on page 20"?

By George you're right Mike!!

The great and powerful Babalu, clay master extraordinaire has unearthed a pair of one-of-a-kind hand-built artifacts from his famous Lemon Grove CA clay works exclusively for Freaky Boutiki Gallery and its loyal following of art lovers.

Babalu's hand built mugs usually fetch hundreds per piece so the following prices are rare indeed from such an in demand sculptor. A lucky Tiki Centralite will be getting a deal of a lifetime when he or she snatches up one of these important mugs.

1/1 Cobra Fang Glaze Test
hand-built in striking umber and turquoise glaze
6"x4"
by BABALU
$100 SOLD

1/1 "SDMA" PNG Drum Mug
hand-built
An almost perfect dead ringer for an Middle Sepik River PNG Kundu displayed at San Diego Museum of Art's 2009 Oceanic Art Exhibition.
The first of this important mug series by Babs!
Cream, umber, white and ochre
9"x4"
by BABALU
$125 *** Available ***

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2010-03-04 18:41 ]

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2010-07-01 17:07 ]

H

On 2010-03-02 21:07, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
Hodadhank... will be tooling around San Diego on Friday morning/noon and am soooo looking forward to visiting... See ya' on the 5th! Brad~

Right on Brad! I'll be sure to wear my dress flip flops! Looking forward to seeing you down here in So-So Cal.

It seems to be artist month @ FBG as I just had a high octane visit from LA's Dynamic Painting Duo of McEvoy & Rodriguez. Their Devil card was a huge hit at our Autumn Tikot! show and they were kind enough to bring along some artwork for the gallery: Over a half dozen works in all, some painted especially for the gallery and its tiki loving patrons. (That's you!)

I'll be hanging their work this weekend so be sure to stop by and take home one of their unique paintings.

Here's a sneak peek of their painting, "Kanaka O'wai Maka Lahi"...

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2010-03-04 18:42 ]

That McEvoy guy is crazy!
:)

On 2010-03-10 08:09, little lost tiki wrote:
That McEvoy guy is crazy!
:)

Their both crazy! But not as crazy as the joggers in the following pics...

My buddy caught some great pics of our "Tsunami" breakers coming over the Mission Beach boardwalk behind the shop. Yipe!

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2010-03-12 17:31 ]

That was never on the news, crazy man.

B

WOW. looks like great stuff poppin over there. new stuff from a few fav artists! Babs mug is SICK! Rick Reitveld is my hero (i art directed Maui & Sons after he departed), and McRiquez are off da hook!

Can't wait to get some new Toe work in there!!

Great Shot of the guy jogging down the road.... Just think if it was just a foot or two bigger...
das nutz...

H

Some random pics to share...

James Dimmare levitating my mood.

Tiki Omar makes a new Friend.

Brad Parker: flyin' by to say hi.

McAvoy & Rodriguez find my stash of beer.

Got Kirby?

A large selection of Wikitiki tees and hoodies for those cool evenings by the beach bonfire...

Another Mieko fan. Where's your Tiki Magazine? At Freaky Boutiki of course!

Don't forget to stop by Freaky Boutiki/MUNKTIKI tent at Oasis 10!

In addition to the Oasis 10 mug currently being finished up at their Portland studio, Paul & Stuckie will provide FB with plenty of goodies for collectors of their excellent limited edition mugs

And this year The Northern Hemisphere's only official MUNKTIKI distributor will also be playing host to WIKITIKI and select artists featured in Freaky Boutiki Gallery & Tiki Magazine's current Beyond The Reef group show.

Find us stage left snuggled between Tiki Tony and Crazy AL!

Mahalo to Hodadhank for showcasing my velvets at his vending booth at Oasis 10. As some of you may know, I won't be attending the even this year. But I will be there in spirit courtesy of the Freaky Boutiki!

I'm doing a mini-preview of the work on my art thread: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=26675&forum=18&start=120&125 so check for pics there! It will be available Saturday morning, August 21 so shake of that hangover and get to the Freaky Boutiki booth early! :wink:

All the best and have a blast at Oasis 10!

Cheers,
Heather :)

Aloha All...

Had such a great time at the Bali Hai last night. So good to see all of you again! The entertainment was stellar with great Burlesque and great music both inside and out. The Go-Go booths were fun!! Tikiyaki was excellent with a well lubricated Marty Lush releasing his inner Shatner during an almost unrecognisable version of KISS' Detroit Rock City! Marina was a show stopper in her modified Tahitian outfit and during her highly anticipated incediary interlude.

Amber Ray was cuter than a basket of kittens...

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, we're packed and ready to bring our freaky goodness to the marketplace on Saturday and Sunday. Stop by Freaky Boutiki booth, stage left, and say aloha. A quick rundown of items to be offered follows...

MUNKTIKI-
Paul & Stuckie have supplied us with a great selection of their imaginative super collectable ceramics. The Cadillac of tiki mugs!

HEATHER WATTS- Five new paintings by Vancouver's reigning velvetine vixen. Come early as these will go fast!

DEREK YANIGER- Lavishly illustrated career spanning book "Wildsville" from the hillbilly hipster himself!

WIKITIKI- Polynesian lifestyle threads for kids and adults from Papeete/Waikiki/San Diego. Sizes up to XXXXL!

More goodies and doodads as well including island art reference books and aloha shirts...

H

Aloha all!!

It's a beautiful sunrise here on picturesque Hodaddy Lagoon. I must apologize for not posting images in a while as my computer has been fighting me and needs a geek diagnosis something fierce.

This is the first in a series of special announcements featuring original artwork by some of your very favorite TC Artists.

Everybody is familiar with the whimsical Tikiana work of Vancouver artist Heather Watts. Heather's art has been very popular here at Freaky Boutiki and we're happy to be able to offer five of her beautiful black velvets at very affordable prices. Each piece is framed and ready to hang in your Hawaiian Hale or Rapa Nuian Rumpus Room. As always Freaky Boutiki is capable of shipping anywhere in the wide wide world!

Pieces include
Caterpillar Canoe $650
Raindrops Day Off $275
Hawaiian Ladybug $275
Pacific Pirate $150
and
Temperance (from 2009's Tikot! Visions From The Tiki Tarot)$650

Also don't miss Heather's participation in "Lowbrow Tarot" at La Lus de Jesus 10/01/10.

I swear I litterally blushed when I stumbled across this very kind review posted on a travel site last April by someone named Smorg.
Shucks, mahalo Smorg, wherever you are! Glad we made you smile.

Where Eclectic-Tiki-ness is Peacefully Cool by Smorg

Mission Beach, the thin strip of land separating the manmade Mission Bay from the mighty Pacific Ocean, is populated by some of the hippest people on the planet. This is a surf-manic part of town, and any business that enforces the 'No shirt, No shoes = No service' policy would go out of style a lot sooner than a printed Hawaiian shirt would.

Though, curiously, what is it about the printed Hawaiian shirts that make them such staple items in coastal gift shops? They even manage to take up a lot of room at the Freak Factory, the adorably freaky souvenir shop at the corner of Mission Blvd and Portsmouth Ct just north of Santa Clara in Mission Beach.

Guarded and patrolled by Monkey, the mild-manner chocolate mutt who seems to enjoy nothing more than to casually preside over the sidewalk while watching his mistress carve out another freakin'ly awesome design onto a piece of wood at the front of the store, the Freak Factory is a miniature jungle of self-contained freakiness that embodies everything that is cool about this neighborhood of San Diego. It is jam packed with eclectic and artsy items for fun-loving and green-living folks who love woods and handmade knits and knots... and even burnt incense.

For all the merchandise they had stuffed into this small-ish place, everything is quite well organized. The counter running along the right side of the store holds handmade laces (neck and wrist and ankle) with anything from native-ish fish bone to hook to skull and crossbones and even Che (yeah, Che... imagine that!). Tiki poles, mugs (lots of Munktiki stuff), and handcrafted carved and painted wood blocks on the wall (along with other Caribbean style head-shop items... They keep the whole collection fun and light-hearted, though. No real woodoo channeling here). The back of the store has glass works and tabacco stuff along with decorated boxes.

The left side is stocked with mostly clothing and poster. Mostly in very interestingly psychedelic print pattern or Hawaiian style button shirts and shorts... Back in downtown area I've never seen any local wearing that (actually I only know one person who wears Hawaiian print shirt regularly and he was an ROTC student back at St. Louis University!)... But some hidden population of folks must obviously be buying them up since they show up in all the gift shops near the beach! Popping up all over the places are quirky headwear, some being fashionably sported by a preposterously smiley (though thankfully not quite authentic, when it comes to material) skull! Up front is a well organized vertical stack of humorous and hip wall posters (I avoid them since they are so tempting and I'm running out of non-postered wall space).... and a good collection of burn incenses from India and Sri Lanka.

Walking around in this shop is almost like being transported into an Indiana Jones film... You sort of expect a giant bolder to suddenly roll off one of the shelves or for arrows to suddenly fly out of one of the grining skulls... or for the Tiki to suddenly come alive and try to strike up a conversation in Sanskrit or something.

The folks here are really friendly and helpful. They'll let you browse the store in peace, but if you need any help finding anything or have question about some items, they really know everything they carry in the store very intimately... And, considering some of the wackier stuff on display there (some really awesomely preserved stuffed blowfish hanging from the ceiling included), that could be a bit scary!

Being located on Mission Blvd in Mission Beach, of course, makes parking a bit tricky (I get there by bus. Either #8 or #9 will get you there from a different direction), though there is a good size parking lot just 2 ½ blocks away on the bay-side of Santa Clara Pl to the south. If you are ever in San Diego area you should spare a day visiting the area (you can do Sea World in the morning, then boat around Mission Bay in the afternoon, dropping in for lunch along Mission Blvd's rows of burger and fish taco joints, shop at Freak Factory before walking 1 block west to catch the sun setting into the Pacific Ocean from the beach. If only everyone can enjoy a day like that every once in a while the world would be such a freakin' awesome place, wouldn't it?

Freak Factory: 3742 Mission Blvd.(at Portsmouth Ct), San Diego, CA 92109. Tel. (858) 488-4924 Email: [email protected]

Excellent article!
How cool is that?
People notice this Mission Beach Treasure
and for many good reasons!
The only thing i didn't like about the article
was that it made me miss cute lil Monkey and the crew!

Congrats!

Nice review! :)

I've been meaning for a while to post a few more detailed pics here of the pieces in the photo above so here goes! Contact the Freaky Boutiki for sales info.

Heather

"Raindrop's Day off"
This little guy is one of my favorites. He's in a vintage frame I refurbished especially for him.

"The Caterpillar Canoe"
I became obsessed with how insects & 'tiki' are a natural fit last year... There are just so many natural mask-like designs and faces in the insect world, and so much opportunity for creativity.

"Pacific Pirate"

"Hawaiian Ladybug"
Another one of my insects... This little rhinestone-covered cutie is in a custom frame carved by Patrick g. Robinson.

I'm going to post some pics of the mermaid piece above on my thread in the 'other crafts' section later tonight, including (finally) some of the work-in-progress pics I took along the way.

Boy it's been a long time since I regularly posted on this thread. Hard to believe I was one of the biggest "Post Whores of 2009".

My most sincere thanks to all the talented artists and friends who participated in our exciting gallery experiment last year. I enjoyed working with you all and it was a great honor being able to host several fun shows and represent your work. A huge mahalo as well to patrons who supported the community by making purchases. While we will no longer feature a dedicated exhibition space, Freaky Boutiki shall endeavor to showcase new and original work by your favorite artists at our original location and on our developing virtual gallery at http://www.freakyboutiki.com

In the fall I was asked to be a guest artist/instructor at Point Loma's High Tech High. Former Freaky Boutiki wahine Chaz-Bot is now all growed-up and passing along the appreciation of all things Poly-Pop to her art students. Her class enjoyed field trips to San Diego landmarks and lectures by mid-century architect Robert C Duncan and contemporary tiki artist and historian Bosko.
Below: A field trip to Shelter Island's Bali Hai where the kids did drawing exercises and Larry allowed me to guide over a hundred students through the restaurant discussing exotic building materials, architectural elements, vintage carvings and of course, how to make a living without wearing a tie.

Lookey here! It's Chaz-Bot modeling a Tiki Bob tee for our new ad in Tiki Magazine. I got the last batch of these on the planet from my pal who makes them. Get your Bob today before theyre gone forever! http://www.freakyboutiki.com

Mission Beach's bug-eyed four-legged sex machine, Miles Davis. He love your leg long time. Miles belongs to our neighbor, a chef at the Bali Hai.

Wahine Toni says Mele Kalikimaka! She's also modeling one of her cute crocheted scarves. Toni's hittin' the books much harder this semester so I don't nearly see her often enough.

God bless surf camp. If each these soggy kids buy one chapstick, I can pay my electric bill this month... :P

My shop's first manager Sherry stopped by for a visit with another former employee, Devon. So quiet I wasn't certain she was able to speak, a shy teen who worked quietly under her enormous dreadlocks. Eventually something needed to be done that required help, she pitched in and stayed for years. She now has a beautiful daughter of her own.

I used to enjoy hosting a couple chops a year. I was happy that artists I admire greatly like Bosko, Squid, Ken Ruzik, Big Toe and Eric October would actually travel to join our regular crew by the bay. One of the people I was most happy to see was Kate. I always enjoyed her sense of humor and enthusiasm. When I learned she was ill, my stomach sunk but, I prayed for the best. Kate continued to make the journey to join her friends on "Hodaddy Lagoon" even though she was weakened from her battle. Until the very day I heard of her passing I was absolutely certain Kate would prevail and that I would see her again carving in front of my house.

By special arrangement with her dear friend Mieko, Freaky Boutiki is honored to offer a selection of vintage mugs from The Tiki Kate Collection. It is my hope that these will go to good homes and my earnest belief that in this way Kate's aloha spirit will persevere.

Visit The Tiki Kate Collection http://www.freakyboutiki.com

(LtoR)Tiki Omar, Bill Collins, Erik Larson, Tom Laura, David Lea, Kate Simmons and Eric October talking story at Hodaddy Lagoon.

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2011-04-19 12:43 ]

When's the next Lagoon Chop Hank!!!???

On 2011-03-12 21:20, MadDogMike wrote:
When's the next Lagoon Chop Hank!!!???

I dunno man. I my have waited too long this season. I'll let you know.

Spring 2011 Tiki Magazine has arrived! vol.7, No. 1 now in stock. Features include Artist Sam Gambino, Carver Kirby and Tiki Pioneer Walt Disney. Don't miss Tiki Magazine's spring festival guide!

Sam Gambino's framed 2010 27"x21" acrylic titled "The Out Of Towner" is currently for sale at Freaky Boutiki. Not only is this piece featured in the latest issue of Tiki Magazine, collectors will no doubt recognize this iconic drive thru A-frame as the entrance to Palm Spring's beloved Caliente Tropic.
Only $550.00 Pick up this gem today!

Thanks boutiki, stopped in to grab the new mag and look at all the cool stuff. Got a couple great mugs. Love this place. Off to the Bali Hai next for drinks and 2 more mugs. I'll be back!!!

Shenannigans... Okay, so I've heard you've got to break alot of eggs to make an omlette. That must be a truism since I always seem to burn through thirty or so frames till I get an image I'm happy with for my print ads. Since our final batch of Tiki Bob tees has been so popular online I thought I'd share some outakes from my last shoot with my buddy Charlie. Why are cute girls even cuter when they're goofing around?

On 2011-04-19 12:57, hodadhank wrote:
Spring 2011 Tiki Magazine has arrived! vol.7, No. 1 now in stock. Features include Artist Sam Gambino, Carver Kirby and Tiki Pioneer Walt Disney. Don't miss Tiki Magazine's spring festival guide!

Sam Gambino's framed 2010 27"x21" acrylic titled "The Out Of Towner" is currently for sale at Freaky Boutiki. Not only is this piece featured in the latest issue of Tiki Magazine, collectors will no doubt recognize this iconic drive thru A-frame as the entrance to Palm Spring's beloved Caliente Tropic.
Only $550.00 Pick up this gem today!

SOLD

Grabbed 3 Munktiki mugs today...........sweet

Some great LIMITED EDITION stuff available now from our pals at MUNKTIKI as well as familiar designs in famous Fiestaware glazes.

Muy Caliente!

(Mission Beach bombshell; Joy Gum)

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2011-10-12 15:11 ]

Munktiki & Mitch O'connell's
Hair of the Dog #96/100
$60.00 + tx,S&H
[email protected]

Munktiki & Mitch O'connell's
Hair of the Dog #75/100
$60.00 + tx,S&H
[email protected]
SOLD

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2013-05-05 12:30 ]

2011 Munktiki Ape #39/100
$6o.oo + tx,s&h
[email protected]
SOLD

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2013-05-05 12:29 ]

MUNKTIKI Fiestaware Skull
Red
SUPER LIMITED EDITION 11/25
$40.00 + tx,s&h
SOLD

Fiesta originally produced their signature uranium oxide Red from 1936 to 1943 when the government assumed control of all uranium in support of the war effort. Production of this color would resume again, but not until 1959, with the name finally changing to Mango Red in 1968.

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2011-10-12 16:28 ]

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2013-05-05 12:30 ]

Yellow
SUPER LIMITED EDITION 15/25
$40.00 + tx,s&h

Fiesta originally produced their brilliant Yellow between the years 1936 and 1969.

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2011-10-12 16:21 ]

Dusty Rose
SUPER LIMITED EDITION 15/25
$40.00 + tx,s&h

Fiesta originally produced their Dusty Rose between the years 1951 and 1959.

New men's sidewalk surfers from Sanuk have arrived!

These comfortable aloha-style loafers are perfect for your next backyard luau, sword fishing excursion or just skateboarding down the boardwalk.

The Men's Standard Get Lei'd feature -
Lightweight �Vulc-Lite� Construction with Canvas Sock Liner w/ AEGIS Antimicrobial additive
Premium Herringbone Pattern Rubber Outsole
Hawaiian Print Textile Upper and Liner
"Get Lei'd" Happy U Screened Artwork on Footbed
Jute Inlayed Gum Foxing
Vegan and Vegetarian

$60 to size thirteen while supplies last!

H

Made exclusively for Freaky Boutiki, these 9" x 12" TIKI BOB'S' tin signs are only $19.99!
https://www.facebook.com/thefreakyboutiki

http://freakyboutiki.com/

Glad to see freaky still going strong

Thanks Hank! Your shop is great!
I always shop here. Last time I was in (2 days ago :) ) he gave me a bunch of tiki coasters for free. He always likes to chat about tiki. If you haven't been to this place, go and check it out, you won't be sorry!

T

Ditto, dig the Freaky Boutiki...

Can you guess who's turning fourteen? If you said The Freaky Boutiki in Mission Beach, California, you'd be correct!

Yes, another summer means another birthday for San Diego's favorite Tiki trading post. To celebrate, we'll be offering a brand new special edition anniversario tee-shirt featuring freaktastic artwork by our buddy, Big Toe, and printed by our other buddies over at Wikitiki!

Trust me, you won't want to be the only weirdo at the BBQ trying not to spill delicious macaroni salad on their very own Freaky Boutiki tee.

Keep an eye on this space for details!

PS - No, that's not the Big Toe design pictured above. That's just some silly crap I made in Picasa to announce the shirt.

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2013-06-25 17:44 ]

Cool! I will have to stop by and grab one.

Happy Birthday!!!

H

Happy fourth of July folks!

To celebrate 14 weird and wonderful years in Mission Beach, The Freaky Boutiki is proud to introduce our new Anniversario t-shirts featuring art by acclaimed lowbrow artist, and Southern California native, Big Toe!

Spending his formative years immersed in So-Cal surf, hot rod and pop culture, it was only a matter of time before the greatest surf film of all time received the Big Toe treatment with this freaky homage to John Van Hamersveld's iconic 1964 Endless Summer poster!

On the back: These comfy 100% cotton tees feature three high contrast weirdos atop a beach scene of Day-Glo orange, magenta, and yellow.
On the front: "got tiki?" over the heart, where it belongs.

Available in sizes S-XXL.
Only $14.99 while supplies last!!!

BK

Oh, that is amazing!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 337 replies