Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Idol American Idol... and the Winner is!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 182 replies

Guess I will wait till next year for this opportunity to come around again. Can't get my scanner to work. DRAT.....foiled by an inanimate object. :(

Best of luck to all the contenders, I am looking forward to seeing the great ideas fabricated into TikiFarm spectaculars!!! :)

[ Edited by: BlackFish 2009-09-08 04:19 ]

J

On 2007-02-28 16:06, MakeDaMug wrote:
Update/FYI...

Actual total individual design submissions as of 4:05pm, Wednesday, Feb. 28th: 199

We're all procrastinators

JP

T

I bet a number spike at the finsh line.

Vamp. , yes photo it.

I want to see the other designs! Will we get to see some runner-ups?

M

All of the entries have been burned to disc and are being sent out to our panel for review. There are SO MANY entries that we in agreement that the top 6 must be agreed upon by all judges. We should have the results in about 2 weeks.

Thank you very much for all of your submissions.

Holden

B

[ Edited by: BlackFish 2009-09-08 04:20 ]

..i opted out this year in order to give others a shot at it., so this years winner will have me to thank!! Ha!

H
hewey posted on Thu, Mar 1, 2007 6:35 PM

I bet that CD would be interesting viewing! :)

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Mar 1, 2007 7:19 PM

Anyone brave enough to post one. Cause you know that other contest we all had to post in public the whole time. The only thing is I would hope that after someone posts that a gang of people are not like, "I want that one" and it sways the vote.

Maybe for the next two weeks we could do just posts of pics(if you want); no posting commits. What do others think and is anyone brave enough to go first, I'll jump only if friends jump first.

Cause won't it seem like a long two weeks if nothing happens??

H
hewey posted on Thu, Mar 1, 2007 8:08 PM

I only got around to 1 entry:

"The Keepers of the South Pacific" 4 legged bowl. From the 4 corners of the South Pacific these tiki gods watch over the Ocean and all the life in it. The Eastern corner is represented by Easter Island (right), the South is New Zealand (top), the North is Hawaii (left) and the West is Papua New Guinea (middle). The rim of the bowl is shaped like the top of the waves, and engraved into the side are all manner of marine life from the South Pacific. Glaze is a nice cobalt blue.

I posted it in my art thread a week or so ago.

Kustom Kahoona

[ Edited by: hewey 2007-03-01 20:09 ]

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Mar 1, 2007 8:18 PM

Hewey I thought of the same idea, although I didn't summit it. I'll show you what happened at a later time. Certainly a contender

T

[ Edited by: Tonicacat 2007-03-05 21:29 ]

TT

here is one of mine..

[ Edited by: Tiki Trav 2007-03-17 20:46 ]

T
teaKEY posted on Fri, Mar 2, 2007 4:18 PM

Thats strange, I did one holding two orange tikifarm swizzles. I've never seen it done before really. Strange. But mine still looks much different.

D
dibroc posted on Fri, Mar 2, 2007 4:51 PM

Very cool Trav.

T
teaKEY posted on Fri, Mar 2, 2007 6:53 PM

Kinda my Kon-tiki design

Another that was sprung the Kon-tiki design.

Damnitall....I didn't come back to this thread and read the idea about the picture until now...but thanks for the positive vibes. I hope this opportunity comes around again next year as I have even imagined an improvement on my design.

I'll bet you all submitted some really great designs....everyone here is so talented. This is such a fun contest, I am looking forward to seeing the winning designs...and BUYING them. :)

being that Hip hop is so Hip!

T

Sorry Ben, disqualified. There's always next time.

On 2007-03-02 22:05, teaKEY wrote:

Sorry Ben, disqualified. There's always next time.

I faxed it in a while back. D'oh!

TT

On 2007-03-02 16:18, teaKEY wrote:
Thats strange, I did one holding two orange tikifarm swizzles. I've never seen it done before really. Strange. But mine still looks much different.

I guess great minds think alike huh teaKEY?!
Cheers

B

[ Edited by: BlackFish 2009-09-08 04:28 ]

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Mar 7, 2007 6:46 PM

If things are going as planned, seven days down, seven days left. :)

TT

Drumroll time???

Who's winning?

We're awaiting 1 final list from one of the judges. Let me introduce you to the panel. Asides from myself, judging the entries is...

Squid
Little Lost Tiki
Derek Yaniger
Sam Gambino
Thor

As soon as the last list is in, I'll announce the official time & date that I'll be announcing the winners. There appears to be 1 clear-cut potential grand prize winner thus far (within the top 5 of the current 5 of 6 lists). I'll let you all know the results asap!

Mahaloz,
Holden

As the Final Tallies are being ......er,Tallied...
We have booked an Opening Act to provide
some mild distraction....

H
hewey posted on Sun, Mar 18, 2007 6:02 AM

Thats a pretty damn good line up of artist judges (Im just happy Im not competing against them! :lol: ) I find it surprising that there's one standout that all the judges love given the number of entries in the comp, and the standard of artists on here. :o

I'll let you all know the results asap!

Dont keep us waiting!

T

Thats a great panel. All Artist , all different styles, all great at what they do. I wouldn't think that a better group of guys could be selected.

Okay, all of the entries are in. I'm going to review them all and all of the up-to-6 that are in the panel's top 20 will be chosen. I will post the results tonight at 6:00pm pdt.
Mahaloz!
Holden

The Clock is Ticking!
Only a Little While Longer til the Weiners are picked!

Can you just Taste the Excitement in the Air?
It tastes like that stuff that's dried in the
Bottom of your Tiki Mug!!!!
Speaking of Which....
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=23350&forum=12&start=0&27
I hope Bamboo Ben's "Rapper Nui" wins something!

This was a pretty stiff competition. There are SO MANY designs that made the panels very different top 20 lists. So, without further ado, I present you with the winners...

There was not a single design that was agreed upon by all judges as being in the top 20. Our first place winner did win 5 of the 6 votes, placing in the top 3 for 5 of the 6 judges. All of the entries above made 4 out of 6 of the top 20 lists. Again, there were A LOT of designs that made the top 20 lists but these ones were the concensus favorites.

Congratulations to you all and especially to Unklefun, who will be the "toast of the town" one night here at Mugoomba. That will be a TC exclusive party and I will announce the date when we're ready to roll out his design!

Mahaloz!
Holden

Mahaloz!
Holden

[ Edited by: MakeDaMug 2007-03-21 14:09 ]

G
GROG posted on Sun, Mar 18, 2007 6:07 PM

Congrats to the winners----good stuff. GROG can't believe GROG was disqualified by Squid, GROG think he just not want to sculpt GROG's "Kentiki Mug". Kinny LOVED it!!!

Wow! Congratulations to Unklefun and all the winners, All of those are great.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Mar 18, 2007 6:12 PM

Congrats to all the winners! They are all worthy winners, and Im definitely planning on adding some to my collection. :)

Thanks to Holden for giving us TCers the opportunity to be involved, may many sales come your way (Im sure they will)

Yeah! Way to go Uncle Fun! That design so rocks the boat. Congrats to all you other runner ups too! Some really great ideas out there.

Chongolio

TT

Congrats UnkleFUn.. that is a sweet-ass boat!
Looking forward to seeing all the winning enties come to life..

I'm glad I stayed up to check the results, what a great day I just found out my best friend is going to have a baby and now I'm going to have a tiki mug.

Thanks to all the judges and especially to Holden for this wonderful opportunity.

On 2007-03-18 18:12, hewey wrote:
Congrats to all the winners! They are all worthy winners, and Im definitely planning on adding some to my collection. :)

Thanks to Holden for giving us TCers the opportunity to be involved, may many sales come your way (Im sure they will)

your design got a lot of votes Hewey but... "missed it by that much"

T

Sweet entries all around. It will be interesting to see them brought to life. The way some of them were drawn they already look 3-D. Seeing how I'm a detroit guy, I will certainly like to get a Loa in my hands, see if all those colors stay in just like a Spanish mug.

Now that thes mug came out, T.F. artist in the future are really going to have to think long and hard to top. The mug are going to be flowing into my house for years to come.

YAY!
Congratulations to all!!! There were so many great designs to choose from!!!
I think we're seeing a Tiki Renaissance happening!!!
And Thank you all for your Bribes and Veiled Threats! :)
Hey GROG! I just noticed the Squirrels on the Bottom of your LATE entry! :lol:
That mug is waaaay too intricate! Whaddya wanna do? Make Squid get
ANOTHER NEW PRESCRIPTION? :lol:
Wish I could've entered this gig...
Here was what I was gonna turn in...
the Squirrel Decanter!!!

It would've been NUTS!

Congrats to one and all. Some terrific designs indeed.

Any chance we get to see the ones that didn't win as some sort of poster or something? 200 or so mug designs all in one place. At one time. On one poster.

On 2007-03-18 18:47, cheeky half wrote:
Congrats to one and all. Some terrific designs indeed.

Any chance we get to see the ones that didn't win as some sort of poster or something? 200 or so mug designs all in one place. At one time. On one poster.

I don't think we'd do a poster but if the designers want to post their designs to this thread, they are of course more then welcome to do so.
Mahaloz!
Holden

[ Edited by: makedamug 2007-03-18 19:03 ]

WOW!! Huge MAHALO Holden and Judges! I'm truly honored my design was among the chosen- It seriously fulfills a dream of mine! I'm sure it was tough to narrow down all the choices- there's so much talent and so many great ideas here on TC.. Congrats to the other winners and especially Unklefun!

~Skully

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully 2007-03-18 19:16 ]

H
hewey posted on Sun, Mar 18, 2007 7:26 PM

On 2007-03-18 18:31, MakeDaMug wrote:
your design got a lot of votes Hewey but... "missed it by that much"

Bugger! :( ah well, there's always next year. You ARE doing this again next year aren't you? :D

I would like to hear some comments from the judges on the winning designs and the other designs that didn't make the cut. How hard was it to pick your favourite designs? Any particular reccurring themes or concepts?

I would also love to see more people post their entries.

Any particular reoccurring themes or concepts?

I would have to say ....Tikis! There was a lot of Tiki themes! It was the Damndest thing!
Almost like everyone was PSYCHIC and communicated that theme TELEPATHICALLY!
:)

CHEEZUS RICE! :o WoW!! I had Nooo IDEA...

Huge CONGRATULATIONS to UNKLEFUN, I reeeally dig that 'Banana Boat'! Marquesan monkey fun sailing on a jungle cruise, SsweeetT!!! :D

TikiNomad: Big fan of the Moana Loa tribute drum, nice twist on a classic!
Capt'n Skully: Koochie-Ku is top chops in hardwood, soon to be sloshing a potbelly full of liquid...SLURP!
Atomictikitony: Avast-matey! 2 gills of Pusser's for the crew..."Captain's Orders", CHEERS!
Hot Lava: Da Pineapple Flea! I'll hula to that tune!! Aaaah, my little grass shack...Okole Maluna!

Holden & the Tiki Farm Playboys: Chokest Mahaloz for a great opportunity! Having some fun with over 200 of the best TC contestants in what I'm sure was a difficult competition to judge. EVERYONE that entered a design is a WINNER!

Oooooh, jeez-wow...I gotta go lay in the hammock and enjoy the stars for awhile.

Flip-flOp-fLipPp... :D

Pages: 1 2 3 4 182 replies