Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Idol American Idol... and the Winner is!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 182 replies

U

WOW!!!! THIS IS SO AWESOME. I LIKE TO THANK MY WIFE FOR TAKING ME OUT FOR A BANANA SPLIT, FOR IF IT WASN'T FOR HER I DON'T THINK I WOULD HAVE CAME UP WITH A DESIGN TO SERVE A BANANA SPLIT/COCKTAIL. THANKS TO ALL THE CARVERS & DESIGNERS FOR INSPIRING ME & A HUGE THANKS TO HOLDEN FOR GIVING ME AND ALL THE TC MEMBERS A CHANCE AT SEEING OUR DESIGNS COME TO LIFE. ALL THE DESIGNS ARE REALLY COOL, I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THEM IN MY LOUNGE. THIS IS THE BEST SURPRISE EVERRR!

I cut & pasted this & thought it looked pretty cool. Here's a thumbnail print-out of just some of the other contenders. There were way more than shown here!

[ Edited by: makedamug 2007-03-18 20:58 ]

Crap! I thought Rap would at least get something. It's sooooo popular now daze.

My brutha from Oakland, Unkle Fun, hit it big time!!!

Score UF!!!! Rock on!

We'll drink a toast nextime I'm up there.

can Otto be the photographer for the boat? LOL!!!

Wife's rock too!!

S
squid posted on Sun, Mar 18, 2007 9:18 PM

This was really a tough task to narrow down such a HUGE batch of good stuff. I'm blown away at all the talent in TC land!!

Congrats to all the winners! You can stop sending me the unmarked Ben Franklins now.

And to those who didn't win, I have a high security alarm system, very large dogs and super-dooper steel encased anti-slash tires :D

Unklefun's Oaktuckey Dairy Delite....I can see it now...a whole chain of 'em.

P

Ah well, I wasn't gonna post mine but there he is :) ... Edit to add: Top row, 2nd to last Maori/Cannibal if anyone's wondering. I wish I'd spent a little more time on this !
Congrats to the winners, there were a few dark horses there that I weren't aware were so clever (one in particular :wink: ), but no surprise with the judge's choice for #1 - it's a beauty!

myspace

[ Edited by: Paipo 2007-03-19 13:22 ]

I'm interested in seeing more designs, so here's two of my others that didn't make it!

and

Congrats to the winners!

Congrats to the winners!!! That banana boat is a great choice.

My design was not at all original but I thought the goof would make a cool addition to Mr.Bali-hai.

Thanks for the contest, it was fun.
E

HL

I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl today. I've been a Tiki Farm customer for a long time -- but I never dreamed that they'd produce one of my designs.

What a array of great designs! Congratulations to all the winners! There's definitely something for everyone's taste.

When the Uncle Fun's Banana Boat painted up on screen, I gasped. What a beautiful piece that's going to be.

"I cut & pasted this & thought it looked pretty cool. Here's a thumbnail print-out of just some of the other contenders. There were way more than shown here! "

Yeah, that's the kind of thing I meant. Very cool indeed.

Thanks Holden.

CH

N

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME! Congrats to all these folks! So many great designs, I don't envy those judges, it had to be so tough narrowing them all down. BIG props to Holden, it is great that you are looking outside the regular who's who of the tiki scene and bring us something really fresh!

On 2007-03-19 02:44, AlienTiki wrote:
My design was not at all original but I thought the goof would make a cool addition to Mr.Bali-hai.

YES AlienTiki, we are not alone! :D "The Goof" tribute is long over do for the stars in TikiMugdom... my twist was on a handled version similar in style to the Trader Vic's Headress; Coffee Grog.

The restaurant "Bali Hai" should get in on production of this classic, just like thier wooden 'Mr. Bali Hai' greeting you at the door and going home with you as ceramic mug, shot & salt/pepper forms.... "The Goof" has long been the "Rooftop Head of Mystery" for too many years! What a great history this fella has, from entertaining Hollywoods finest atop the thatched roof of Christian's Hut.

Tiki Farm is doing a newer version of Mr. Bali Hai, right Holden? Maybe with some encouragement from TC Ohana at TO7 this year, the fine folks at Bali Hai might wanna bring the GOOF from his outdoor vigil overlooking Shelter Island and toast a happy libations tribute from his very own tiki mug?!! :D Maybe his special cocktail requires a dash of salt or pepper from his very own shakers design too? Hhhhhmmmm??!!!

Great sketch AlienTiki! GOOF FORCES UNITE!!! :D Now where is "Eye of the Goof" when you need'em?!!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

T

I was looking through the Book of Tiki yesterday morning and thought about the Goof and then thought, maybe too skinny. Weird.

Congrats to all the winners! Can't wait to see the finished products, here's a sample from one of my kids.

D

Wow the designs are great. Must have been hard to pick the winner. Uncle Fun's Banana Boat is great. I for one would like to see a few more bowls in the market place. Thanks to Holden for the contest.

Great work everyone, well done to the winners and thanks to holden for the competition.

The best thing about this competition was that you could enter as many times as you wanted..

...great fun:)

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2007-03-19 12:40 ]

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2009-05-06 14:51 ]

TravelingJones I love your design. I was thinking of how to incorporate the roof shingles and couldn't figure it but you've done a great job. Bali Hai should realy do these, hell I'd even buy one.

I'm really blown away by the great designs I've seen so far. Great job everyone involved.

Looks like we will have to put aside some cash for all these cool mugs etc.
Congratulations to everyone and for my friend Traveling Jones a special "way to go guy"! Wendy

On 2007-03-19 09:57, TravelingJones wrote:

If you make it, I'll be the first in line to buy one.

One word... smoked. The winners are unbelievable. I can't wait for the loa mug next year. As soon as the baby can come home it's back to the pottery room, the drawing board, and the back up plan. I love TC and Tiki farm! Thanks for the chance and look forward to a contest next year.

its great to mix with creative minds , there great, all different all unique,

Great choice of winners.
I love the skteches of the 'Missionary in a pot' and the Quicksand Bowl.

T

Congrats Capt'n Skully!
Great mug can't wait to get one.

Now when you going to sell your print?

Wow, I've been so busy building tall bikes......I had no idea my design got 3rd and will be made into a Tiki mug. A dream come true! Big Mahalo Holden and everyone else at the Farm.
Peace......Tim

UnkleFun's design needs a set o' swizzle-like oar/spoons to accompany it! What say ye!!

I can't wait to enjoy a Rum-infused banana split concoction from it..

~Skully

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully 2007-03-31 09:36 ]

T

a Rum-infused banana split concoction

is this a desert or a drink?

U

Actually Teakey, the mug has a dual purpose. One is to serve a banana split & the other is to serve your favorite rum concoction. I do have a drink for the Banana Boat which will be release with the mug, but you can serve whatever you like in it. So I guess combining a Banana Split and a cocktail would be ok, I won't be mad atcha.

J

On 2007-03-18 18:01, MakeDaMug wrote:

Congratulations UnkleFun! This was a great contest and a lot of fun? How long do we have to wait until we see the prototype?

JP

Congrats Unklefun....that is so unique...really like it. You certainly deserved the Grand Prize!!! :)

T

Wow, a 2008 Tiki Farm mug is already here. Its like seeing the new car models ahead of time. (photo and mug of TikiKAte) Probably still a prototype.

I just got the first pictures of the sculpt of my mug, happy days!

A slight email mishap happened, and I got to see your mug sculpt too. It kicks-ass!!

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully 2007-07-30 18:32 ]

Its probably because the same thing happened to me and i got to see yours in the clay stage.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jul 31, 2007 8:07 AM

Share.

F

I really like the boat men bowl and the missionary in the pot !!!!!
The fish tank bowl is interesting too. Oktiki reminds me of the old 1950's horror movies. Barrel of monkeys looks good too, good to add to my nephews monkey collection. Tiki in the canoe another good one. With tough competition like this I can accept not winning. Excuse me while I sharpen my pencil and start sketching for the next competition...?

On 2007-07-31 08:07, GROG wrote:
Share.

Oh alright then..

arr he be a fine looking mug.

Rad ATT!
A very good translatin of the original sketch! the gold tooth is a nice touch!
The HOLD FAST on the knuckles and the butt are Hilarious! the color's pretty cool too!
this is gonna be one cool mug! Congratulations!

Holden you are producing some rockin' mugs! OK, how can I get to Tiki Kate status getting all the proto types? She's so lucky!!!

On 2007-03-19 09:57, TravelingJones wrote:

YES AlienTiki, we are not alone! :D "The Goof" tribute is long over do for the stars in TikiMugdom BUMP

So why didn't this design win?

[ Edited by: alientiki 2007-09-23 14:34 ]

T

Congrats to the winners!!! That banana boat is a great choice.
I thought the goof would make a cool addition to Mr.Bali-hai.

Yet,

Still

No

Bamboo Ben

Mug!

Hmmmph!

I feel so worthless!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Sep 23, 2007 7:52 PM

Hey B.Ben, did you hear..... Holden is going to produce a GROG mug!!! Ernie designing GROG mug now!!! There's also going to be a SQUID decanter, and a KIRBY flask. But no B.Ben mug. You are the Susan Lucci of the mug world. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

[ Edited by: GROG 2007-09-23 19:55 ]

that's the Christian Hut design off the cover. Are you claiming that for yours?

On 2007-09-25 20:04, MakeDaMug wrote:
that's the Christian Hut design off the cover. Are you claiming that for yours?

That's exactly my point. I based my mug design on the original Christian Hut Goof, as did you. It looks different than the goof on the roof, that why I chose it. When did you get that idea? Must have been some time after my entry or what would stop you from making it sooner?

T

Not to take any side just to sort things out

First I really like the Goof idea. The thought of it myself just after the TikiFarm contest while flipping through the Book of Tiki. But no, I didn't summit a drawing and I can certainly see how it wouldn't be a first thought to make it as a mug.

I like the Tiki Farm mug but Alientiki drawing really cemented the idea into my head as a mug, months ago.

Tiki Farm's goof is cool cause its an exact looking mug from the matchbook.

Alientiki, I would say is my favorite of the two. More personality and it has eye-brows. Eye brow are pretty important.

Who really has the rights to this Goof design. The Resturant? Nobody?

Could have went better if Tiki Farm did think it up first (and should have let Alientiki know about it) or did Alientiki think up the mug idea first.

Cause

This certainly isn't an orignal design. The only thing original about it is that it was thought up to be used for drinking out of. The same goes for Alientiki and the Goof

Really if I was a big company, I could make this mug first and sell it first and say that who really owns the rights to a uklale?

This isn't totally a new idea as well. I though it up before the contest but I wanted to win with a design that was 100% (or as close to it) mine. The artwork of the back is certain original but another mug company could just as easily make this and say it was totally an Oceanic design.

This is a forum so I'm just here to talk, not personal say anyone is crazy and piont fingers. But I think there is certainly more to the story and communcation is key.

B

Holden, I sure hope you will still do future contests. I missed out on this last one, and it sounds like fun. Maybe just add the clause that only original design work will be considered. Now granted, many will often mimic certain design imagery from the ancient cultures that we all love...lines here, textures there, even the direct use of some tribal imagery in places, but even still, manipulating elements from the past can be given a personal touch that's all one own. Like the cool boat design that won the contest. Hell, I can see where one could just hold a contest on just the "Goof" design, and get a hundred different versions...the mug you have done looks very Squid like even though the match book is similar...There is certainly no copy right on the original Goof design, or concept from 1953, any more than there is on the Mona Lisa.

Hummm...a Mona Lisa mug with an added lei, and a tropical flower behind her ear? Would it be mine, or would it have to pay some kind tribute to Leonardo as well? What if it were a sculpture instead of mug? What if it were a painting?

Hey, if Bamboo Ben wants a mug, I say give it a contest? Limit the run, and sales there of to one per patron so Ben does not buy them all up. Would we have to pay tribute to Captain Buzz?...not. However, Ben's Mom and Pop might deserve a little credit.

My 2 cents only...now, no more playing on the computer...back to work.

On 2007-09-26 09:51, teaKEY wrote:
Not to take any side just to sort things out

First I really like the Goof idea. The thought of it myself just after the TikiFarm contest while flipping through the Book of Tiki. But no, I didn't summit a drawing and I can certainly see how it wouldn't be a first thought to make it as a mug.

I like the Tiki Farm mug but Alientiki drawing really cemented the idea into my head as a mug, months ago.

Tiki Farm's goof is cool cause its an exact looking mug from the matchbook.

Alientiki, I would say is my favorite of the two. More personality and it has eye-brows. Eye brow are pretty important.

Who really has the rights to this Goof design. The Resturant? Nobody?

Could have went better if Tiki Farm did think it up first (and should have let Alientiki know about it) or did Alientiki think up the mug idea first.

Cause

This certainly isn't an orignal design. The only thing original about it is that it was thought up to be used for drinking out of. The same goes for Alientiki and the Goof

Really if I was a big company, I could make this mug first and sell it first and say that who really owns the rights to a uklale?

This isn't totally a new idea as well. I though it up before the contest but I wanted to win with a design that was 100% (or as close to it) mine. The artwork of the back is certain original but another mug company could just as easily make this and say it was totally an Oceanic design.

This is a forum so I'm just here to talk, not personal say anyone is crazy and piont fingers. But I think there is certainly more to the story and communcation is key.

1st conversations stared about 4-5 years ago w/the Bali Hai... sheesh. TIRED OF THIS STUFF...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 182 replies