Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

SurfBEAT group art show!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 246 replies

I guess you two can hang some stuff....
but only as a warning and example to others
of the detrimental effects of wannabe disease! :lol:

I stopped by the Gallery today to talk to Steve about my dj ing for the event, and pick up some flyers, and was able to spy some of the art pre hung,

WOW !! this is gonna be an off the hook show.

also not on the Flyer, but his Photography will be there.
is none other that Jonpaul Balak of Tiki Magazine.

see ya'll Sat.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

B

thanks Kenny,

its tru its tru. but not to worry. i have learnt my lesson. no more gigantic art shows for me!

in all sincerity folks, Kenny has been invaluable as a wall-composition consultant (unless you hate your spot on the wall, then its ALL ME!). it' been truly mind-bottling to see the show that is going up (You know, when things are so crazy it gets your thoughts all trapped, like in a bottle?)

a hui ho!

Toe-nail

HERE'S GOVERNOR SPITZER DESCRIBING CLYSDALLE'S TEENY BOARD!

and Toe....
What are you doing on TC!?!
Back to the Salt Mines! :lol:

HO HUM!
Lazy Artists don't even want to make flyers for the show.....
Well, you'll have to tolerate these in the meantime.....

R

:lol:

Thanks Ravers!
Tough crowd today....
Now it's more truer to life...

R

:lol: I like the improvements!

here's anudder!

You'd figure someone part of this show would make MORE flyers, sheesh!
I'm not even in the show... :lol:

i'm here...where the hell is bigtoe????

Dancin...Dancin......Dancinnnnnnnnn

R

;lijhbkherdnfipljtgetdf
LOL!!!!

EDIT: And it's the first thing you see on page 8! Oh man! Clys.,...I'm dying here! :lol:

[ Edited by: ravenne 2008-03-12 12:30 ]

Guess who else will be dancing at the SURFBEAT show this Saturday?
Little Davey Clysdalle and his magic midget surfboard! :lol:

JV

See you there.....

• I was planning on going BEFORE I knew those two would be dancing there.

Aw!
Come on Joe!
The dancers will be performing in a back room
away from the show!
Got to unwrap Von Goon on monday and it is BEE-UTIFUL!!!
flawless in Execution and perfect in every detail!
Looking forward to having your talented visage at the show!
I'll have a talk with Clysdalle about not dancing around you at the show! :lol:

R

LOL! I am dying over here!
Those fliers rawk!
"wee little"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Von Goon, that looks cool! can't wait to see it in person!

On 2008-03-12 14:13, little lost tiki wrote:
Aw!
Come on Joe!
The dancers will be performing in a back room
away from the show!

Out back with Bob and his Man-Jina??

T

OMG, I wish I could have made it to the show. But there are too many deadlines for me.

It is a great honour to show some pieces with all these artists from around the globe, hoping to see some pictures of the ongoing. Thanks again, Tom, for the invitation. And maybe someone is interested in german workmanship :) .

So here are the last few pictures of what will be available.
Primarly again my buddy Krazy-Tiki:

This one is just called "GRRR"

And "Tikitragic"

Now my little fellows:

"The Red Marquesan"

"KO MI KANE"

"BIGTOE hang loose"

AND THIS is a great flyer.

Have fun all ya and show us more pictures.

tok-tok

LOL :D at the great fliers! exceptional works of art I tell yaz! I'm going to the bank right now... :roll:

Last day for me to make flyers! :(
Thanks Clysdalle for the incredible photoshopped fliers....all two of em!
You too Raves!
I'll try to pop a few more out today...
But i'll see y'all Saturday for sure!

HERE'S A FUNNY IN-JOKE ONE!
Attendees to the 3 kings show may have seen
the infamous Bob Marley Man-jina drawing there.....
this one should make Hiphipahula laugh!
nice dreads,Ben!

I will be on a internet radio show today 4 to 6 pm Pacific time.
http://www.kcrlive.com

and I will plug the art show.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

K
Kahu posted on Thu, Mar 13, 2008 2:00 PM

On 2008-03-04 10:40, BigToe wrote:
o http://www.myspace.com/surfbeatgallery

Mahalos, Tom (for Candy and Steve)

Tried to add you on myspace. Would not work. Any ideas?

[ Edited by: Kahu 2008-03-13 14:10 ]

I know...but it's quality....come on...those two were classic!

Parents are here now so I can't interweb anymore before dinner....see you all on Saturday!!! Can't wait....even to see kinny!

T

I was really amazed at the responses and all the PM's I received after posting my "Widower tiki". So I got a little busy and here are the results . If you tap me on the shoulder Saturday night and ask me , I will be willing to sell this limited edition of widower tiki neclaces . All are numbered and signed by me on the back . I hope you like them and now I have to add on the "Mr. T style gold chains . hahaha

Hey just so you know Ill be bringing a couple of "extra" concrete moai Saturday night. As well as whatever I can fit in a bag and still have room for clothes.

I'm so excited...my pants are tight!

On 2008-03-13 11:55, little lost tiki wrote:
HERE'S A FUNNY IN-JOKE ONE!
Attendees to the 3 kings show may have seen
the infamous Bob Marley Man-jina drawing there.....
this one should make Hiphipahula laugh!
nice dreads,Ben!

"The mangina"! NOOOOooooooooo..... :o

B

Holy Carp! we spent ANOTHER 5 hours hanging last night, with under-the-wire drop-offs from Phil Roberts, Rick Reitveld, Meghan Besmirched, Doug Horne (thanks Grog & John!), Carson, Augie Pagan and the JAW-DROPPING Crazy Al #141, which is quite possibly the most stunning tiki sculpt ever!! I'd show it to you here, but Crazy Al threatened to put a JuJu curse on me if i did.

Now if we can just get those dang Germans and Canadians thru customs we will be good to go!

alohas, Toe-jam

Will there be room for people at the show, or will we all just have our faces pressed against the window saying OOOOooooooooo!

Wow, I can't wait to see the show it all it's glory-the hanging of such a huge show is a work of art unto itself!

Thanks to The Light Gallery, Steven, Big Toe, Candy, Little Lost Tiki, Clydesdale and everyone who volunteered their time to make this happening show happen!

I was so glad to see that Big Toe and Little Lost got a chance to chill out on the beach with a little 'us time' after so many hours of work!
You deserve it boys! Looking good!

See you crazy kids Saturday!

On 2008-03-14 14:13, atomikitty wrote:
Will there be room for people at the show, or will we all just have our faces pressed against the window saying OOOOooooooooo!

Wow, I can't wait to see the show it all it's glory-the hanging of such a huge show is a work of art unto itself!

Thanks to The Light Gallery, Steven, Big Toe, Candy, Little Lost Tiki, Clydesdale and everyone who volunteered their time to make this happening show happen!

I was so glad to see that Big Toe and Little Lost got a chance to chill out on the beach with a little 'us time' after so many hours of work!
You deserve it boys! Looking good!

See you crazy kids Saturday!

Big Toe's Fingers Looked F'ed Up!!?

Too much Hanging?

With 70 artists there will hardly be room for guests !!!

We plan on smashing in !!!

did anybody hear me mention the show on the radio show?

once again, I'll be spinnin surf and some Exotica tonight, alternating hours with another dj.

See ya'll tonight!!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Another good reason to be there! TONIGHT, TONIGHT, TONIGHT BE THERE!

Don't miss this EPIC group art show that will feature original artwork from over 70 prominent SURF, HOTROD, TIKI and other "outsider" artists.
The show opens MARCH 15 at The Light Gallery in Costa Mesa.
Please check out the flyer and watch for show updates at http://www. myspace. com/surfbeatgallery

Opening reception Sponsors: Hinano Beer, TwinFin Wines and Bacardi Rum!

Big Tiki Dude will be spinning the disks for your auditory pleasure!

Some of the amazing group of surf, outsider and tiki artists who are gonna be in this...
The Pizz, R. Kruze, Drew Brophy, John Bell, Candy, Miles Thompson, Damian, BigToe, Mr.G, Doug Dorr, Grimb, Steve Caballero, Ken Ruzic, Dave Lozeau, Bamboo Ben, Chongolio, Brad "TikiShark" Parker, Fudemae, Max Grundy, Aaron Kraten, Fudemae, Squindo, James Mcleod, Keith Ciaramello, The mysterious 13:11, Dirk Hays, Buddy June, Crazy Al, Scott Aicher, Chongolio, Doug Horne, Atomikitty, Justin Barry, Chainsaw Chuck Majewski, Von Poot, Dale Sizer, Dark Vomit, Paul Torres, Joe Vitale, Augie pagan, Mike Sosnowski, Tiki Ray, TV-1, Ryzart and many more talented artists from all over the globe!

The show opens MARCH 15 at The Light Gallery in Costa Mesa.
Please check out the flyer and watch for show updates at http://www. myspace. com/surfbeatgallery

6pm-midnight
theLightGallery
440 e.17th st
costa mesa 92627
www. thelightgalleries. com

BUMP!
GET DOWN TO THE SURFBEAT TONIGHT!
SEE Y'ALL THERE!
but for now....
pre-show naptime!
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

T

On 2008-03-15 12:23, Hiphipahula wrote:
Another good reason to be there! TONIGHT, TONIGHT, TONIGHT BE THERE!

Some of the amazing group of surf, outsider and tiki artists who are gonna be in this...
The Pizz, R. Kruze, Drew Brophy, John Bell, Candy, Miles Thompson, Damian, BigToe, Mr.G, Doug Dorr, Grimb, Steve Caballero, Ken Ruzic, Dave Lozeau, Bamboo Ben, Chongolio, Brad "TikiShark" Parker, Fudemae, Max Grundy, Aaron Kraten, Fudemae, Squindo, James Mcleod, Keith Ciaramello, The mysterious 13:11, Dirk Hays, Buddy June, Crazy Al, Scott Aicher, Chongolio, Doug Horne, Atomikitty, Justin Barry, Chainsaw Chuck Majewski, Von Poot, Dale Sizer, Dark Vomit, Paul Torres, Joe Vitale, Augie pagan, Mike Sosnowski, Tiki Ray, TV-1, Ryzart and many more talented artists from all over the globe!

Wow, great line up. See Chongolio and also Chongolio will be there too! :wink: Sweet

R

BUMP!

Can't wait to see all the kick-ass artwork!

I'll bring my camera!

See you all there! :D

Break a leg tonight, guys; I don't care who's....

It was a great show. Tons of art. Tons of people.

Mad props to bigtikidude for creating the perfect atmosphere.

Here's what I bought. Surf Moderne by Ken Ruzic.

I had a great time last night!! It was cool to hang with everybody. Oh my god there was some killer art and lots of it. I highley recommend to pay a visit to the light gallery before the show is over. I think I am going back because there was alot to take in. Big Tiki Dude was tearing it up on the turntables too!!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Mar 16, 2008 10:11 AM

Sorry GROG couldn't make it, but the Blue Dick Hawaiian Surfer Dales were playing at the Purple Tonga Orchid Hut last night.

A late addition to the show by Andres Serrano.

"Piss Fink"

( I hand delivered it for him :)

B

head...hang-over...jack-hammer...pain...no mas mojito!!

a huge MAHALO to all the artists and friends who attended our little show opener last night. In particular to BigTikiDude Jeff for the PERFECT mix of tikxotica!

I also want to apologize for your patience with the goof-ball screw-up of not having labels on the artwork until closing time...as Kenny extorted, "DANG ROOKIE CURATORS!!!"

I dont blame Grog for boycotting.

but at the end of the day, it was a big fun event and i think Tiki-Kate and Hipahipa-Kelly walked away with the great art pick-ups of the night

alohas, bT

B

Oh and another thank you to Ben for draining the piss before delivered the Piss Fink...will be less messy when the expanding glass blows the air-tight plexy glass box open!!!!!

Amazing time...some of the best art I've ever seen....thanks to everyone who came out and those who didn't should really try and stop in over the next few weeks. Toe and Candy did a great job of collecting the best of the best.....

Need to sleep now...but here area few photos and a link to my flickr set from the event..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dlozeau/sets/72157604132128276/

[ Edited by: Clysdalle 2008-03-16 17:21 ]

What a cool time!!!

That show was packed to the gills!!!!

Need to go back and check out all the awesome art during the week.

Many MAhalos to Toe, Candy, Steve Light Gallery, Kinny, HINANO!!!!!!!!!!!!,Big Tiki DJ and everyone!

Good times indeed!!!

Blew me away that Joe Vitale and Tiki Kaliki came in from Florida!

R

Wow! That show was so ridiculously packed!!! It was great!
I've never seen such a dynamic display of artwork like that!
And the surfboards rawked!

Here are the pics I managed to snap!

Whoop! :D

A brief pause outside, we saw cool cars:

Back to mayhem!

Shenanigans time!

Ken, being a fierce model! :lol:

Last min pics

Had a great time with everyone!
You all rawk!!!

:D!

On 2008-03-16 07:29, Tiki-Kate wrote:
It was a great show. Tons of art. Tons of people.

Mad props to bigtikidude for creating the perfect atmosphere.

Here's what I bought. Surf Moderne by Ken Ruzic.

So how does it look hanging in your house Kate???? :) Pics?

On 2008-03-16 10:11, GROG wrote:
Sorry GROG couldn't make it, but the Blue Dick Hawaiian Surfer Dales were playing at the Purple Tonga Orchid Hut last night.

Grog, even though that is funny, you used it before,
stop recycling your jokes,

as for the event, GREAT ART WOW!!!!
Killer Crowd,
and Mucho Mahalos, aka Thanks,
for all the Kind words for me DJing,
I did at Tiki Oasis last year on cds, with my friend Kristena,
but this was my first time solo,and Vinyl only,
Thanks to JonPaul for the last minute crash course on how the mixer worked.
I have been asked back for the closing night,

Hopefully we can talk Steve, and Big Toe into making it Fri. April 4th.
as The Insect Surfers(Dave showed up last night at 11;30) and the Boardwalkers(JonPaul) is in that band are playing at the Purple Orchid on Sat. April 5th

Thanks again for all the kind words,
amazing night.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

G
GROG posted on Mon, Mar 17, 2008 8:46 AM

On 2008-03-17 00:07, bigtikidude wrote:
Hopefully we can talk Steve, and Big Toe into making it Fri. April 4th.
as The Insect Surfers and the Boardwalkers are playing at the Purple Orchid on Sat. April 5th

You're the only DJ GROG know who likes to play the same old BROKEN record! :lol:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 246 replies