Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Anti-Tiki on Maui

Pages: 1 45 replies

For the past 5 years, we have vacationed at the same wonderful condo complex on the West side of Maui. It is an older complex with lots of charm and away from the main tourist areas. The outside grounds are well maintained with many native Hawaiian plants, the lawn area keep green and manicured, and the older architecture is adorned with lava rock walls. I would not term it Tiki, but very much Old Hawaiian.

Last month, I purchased a 3' carved Tiki (in the likeness of Ku) and shipped it to the condo complex after getting permission of their Rental Manager. She was ecstatic when it arrived and promptly placed it outside on the grounds. Within a few days, she received a call from the "President of the Board" of the condo association, and was told to remove the Tiki immediately from the grounds. With further investigation, the Rental Manager found out that the Resident Manager's wife, who is the contracted landscaper for the condo complex and also a minister in a "church" on Maui, found the Tiki offensive and called the "President" to have the Tiki removed. The landscaper felt the Tiki should not have been placed in a public place without the consent of the Board members, and she felt it would be offensive to some of the guests at the condo complex.

Whether the Tiki will be allowed on the grounds will be subjected to a vote by the Board in the next few weeks. In the meantime, the Tiki stands inside the rental office at the condo complex and can be seen by all guests and customers. Everyone seems to love him. He is currently adorned with a fresh flower lei as a headdress, and one of my Fishnet Float pendants hanging around his neck.

When we arrived on Wednesday, the Rental Manager arranged a special ceremony to show the guests of the condo complex what the Tiki looked like, and to give the Tiki a name. She used a wood burning tool to inscribe the name "Malu Ku'ono" (Protector of the Cove) into a plaque which we (Jay and I) attached to the base of the Tiki statue. (The condo is built around a small cove instead of on a sandy beach.) Once the ceremony was over, we placed Malu Ku'ono inside the Rental office for safe keeping.

Many of the returning guests have been staying at this condo complex for 15-25 years, some as owners of the units, others as guests (like us). Over the last few days, we have not heard one negative remark about the Tiki being on the grounds. In fact, we have discovered many of the guests have now taken a dislike for the landscaper for making such a ridiculous demand/request to the board.

I am still shocked that a Tiki, carved in the Hawaiian Ku form, could be rejected by anyone living in Hawaii. I understand personal beliefs are important to have, but when in Rome... It think it also important to know that the landscaper and her husband are white (haole) and not native to Hawaii. Also, the Rental Manager (also is white) will retain the Tiki inside the Rental office if the Board decides the Tiki to be too controversial for the outside grounds.

What are your thoughts?

Bummer Myke!
Some people won't be satisfied until we're all wearing beige jumpsuits and live in white identical boxes, bereft of personality and joy...
Sad....

G-damned religious nuts. These are the same types who forced the Hawaiians to cover themselves and forbade them to surf.

Sheesh.....

Not sure if it has anything to do with race. Control freaks is what they are.

where is that girl with the sledge hammer from the 1985 apple comercial?

T

Those damn 'whitey's' they ruin everything !!!

T

There's Christianity hard at work, keeping islanders safe from the God of their own land....sheesh.

HOA...control freaks to the max...I live in a community with the same mentation...these people are fondly referred to as "The Yard Nazis."

If you haven't done it yet, submit a landscape application to display the tiki. Include some articles on the style of the tiki and its importance to Hawaiian history along with pictures of similar tikis at important historical places. Get a "good neighbor" signature sheet and have folks sign it to submit with the landscape application. That is about all you can do.

If you don't get approval for landscape...sounds like he has a nice home in the rental office. Maybe in the dead of night you can place hundreds of tikis on the grounds...you know how those tacky things take over!!! :D

I had a cleaning lady come to my house and she refused to do any work until I removed all the Tikis.
She obviously was not hired.

K

It's an interesting arguement and not unheard of in Hawaii. One ought to remember that tikis are, after all, religious objects and some people might take offense as if you had erected a nativity scene or cross in the public areas.
There was a case here on Oahu involving a school on the Leeward Coast that had carved and erected a large tiki on school grounds and were ordered to take it down as some people felt it was religious...people were placing lei and gifts in front of it. I was a bit surprised, although pleasantly, when the courts ruled tikis were CULTURAL, not RELIGIOUS symbols and could NOT be denied on religious grounds. It is a precendent that might effect future cases.

Allow me to point this out (and I am NOT trying to interpret everything along the lines of "my agenda"--I don't have an agenda, I have my own perspective, though):

This example IS at the very essence of what I see as the distinguishing quality of Tiki culture, and what I wanted to express in chapter 12 of Tiki Modern, "The Contemporary Idol":

While Baudelaire was examining a small carving, the naval officer, eager to draw his attention to something else, referred to the object in Baudelaire’s hands as “merely a native totem”.
The poet raised his hand and said, “Take care, my friend, it is perhaps the true God.”

This little anecdote from the turn of the 19th century is not intended to suggest that primitive effigies should replace God, but that they have a creative power to relativate entrenched belief systems, adding fresh perspectives and broadening our horizon to other worlds of perception..

As I described in Tiki Mod, at the turn of the century, the Moderns used the "offensive" potential of primitive art to challenge the stuffy, established art style of the previous century and created the Modern Art movement. And as this recent incident shows, it still has this power today. WE here have made that leap of perception described above, and see Tikis as cool. But many still see them as "bad taste", or as politically incorrect for one reason or another. But I am not offended by that, I am proud when I am called the "Bad Boy of Bad Taste" in the new Atomic Ranch article, where I get to outlay my perspective, (which is akin to that of the Moderns):

To me, the consensus consciousness of "good" taste is boring, it puts me to sleep. "Bad" taste at least creates a reaction, it makes people take notice, wakes them up and makes them think.

This perspective is at the core of why I root for "true' Tiki, and against mediocrity.

Well, I'll come out of the closet here and admit that I'm Pagan (Wiccan, actually, although not very active the last few years). And I am always offended when self-described "devout" Christians try to shove their beliefs down my throat, or try to tell me that my beliefs are "false", or worse, satanic. Sheesh....

I had a pet-sitter refuse to return to my home, because of all the "satanic" elements she found. Which is interesting, because the few candles, incenses, and earth-magic books I had at the time were all in a closet she had no business opening.

To me, tikis ARE very spiritual. But they are also a cultural symbol, and should be allowed display in appropriate locations (i.e., on the islands of Hawaii). (Or in my living room :wink: )

G

It would interesting to find out exactly what it is about the tiki that offends the lady. You said she is a minister in a "church" (your quotes). Without us getting into a religious conversation, what exactly did you mean by the quotes? I just think it would be interesting to examine what her perspective is before jumping to conclusions. Maybe she just misunderstands what they represent? Perhaps she thinks they represent some Wiccan idol or something. :wink:

M

I really dislike people shoving their religious beliefs down everyone else's throats. Tikis are cultural. If someone doesn't like a tiki in your house/yard whatever tell them to hit the road....hard. Those condo associations and neighborhood associations are full of shit. You paid for the property you should be able to do with it as you please.

B

On 2008-02-23 16:29, mymotiki wrote:
I really dislike people shoving their religious beliefs down everyone else's throats. Tikis are cultural. If someone doesn't like a tiki in your house/yard whatever tell them to hit the road....hard. Those condo associations and neighborhood associations are full of shit. You paid for the property you should be able to do with it as you please.

Thanks sis - I agree!

I'm thinking that condo lady is probably more offended that no one asked her her opinion on the subject. Definately a "yard nazi"! I live in a development with those CC&Rs and they're pretty over the top. My fave is the "no parking in your driveway" rule - cars should be in the garage, not the driveway. Well, didn't take long for THAT little rule to get blown out of the water (more cars than garages!). I could care less if my neighbor wanted to paint their house purple, but noooooo - everyone must have variying shades of gray and beige - YAWN! Then there's the guy with the putting-green lawn who has a cow if my dog accidently runs over it! What has become of this country when you can't even enjoy your own home - sometimes I feel like I'm still in a rental apartment and can't put a nail in the wall for fear of not getting my deposit back!

I would suggest someone take that condo lady out for a Mai Tai - loosen up her constricted anus a bit!

I think any non-Hawaiian who has been GRACIOUSLY ALLOWED to live in Hawaii (and own property) had better respect the Hawaiian culture! What a fool this woman is for dishonoring a Tiki (and one that has been given as a gift, too)! If this was a quality carving, then it is a powerful symbol to the Hawaiian people. Stupid haole. Someone should spit in her mai tai.

T

On 2008-02-24 00:28, Tangaroa-Ru wrote:
I think any non-Hawaiian who has been GRACIOUSLY ALLOWED to live in Hawaii (and own property) had better respect the Hawaiian culture!

Actually I believe we're discussing an American citizen living in an American state and enjoying the property rights thereof, not to mention the culture and system of contracts and arbitration indicated by: "[it] will be subjected to a vote by the Board in the next few weeks..." I'm with everyone else here in personally disagreeing with her objections, but the right of free association means people are allowed to join together to create things like owner's associations with rules that set the tone of their community, and use peaceful arbitration to settle disputes regarding those rules. This sort of freedom allows for true diversity across society and protects us from the sort of nativist fascism implied in the comment above.

T

On 2008-02-24 08:38, Thomas wrote:

On 2008-02-24 00:28, Tangaroa-Ru wrote:
I think any non-Hawaiian who has been GRACIOUSLY ALLOWED to live in Hawaii (and own property) had better respect the Hawaiian culture!

Actually I believe we're discussing an American citizen living in an American state and enjoying the property rights thereof, not to mention the culture and system of contracts and arbitration indicated by: "[it] will be subjected to a vote by the Board in the next few weeks..." I'm with everyone else here in personally disagreeing with her objections, but the right of free association means people are allowed to join together to create things like owner's associations with rules that set the tone of their community, and use peaceful arbitration to settle disputes regarding those rules. This sort of freedom allows for true diversity across society and protects us from the sort of nativist fascism implied in the comment above.

Fine for you, just don't be so quick to voice that opinion in Hawaii, especially to anyone with any Hawaiian lineage...it will go over, should we say....not too well.

T

Thanks for the warning. There seems to be a threat of violence underlying a number of these comments -- what a terrible shame. It never occurred to me that the many Hawaiians living, for example, in nearby Las Vegas, are being "GRACIOUSLY ALLOWED [to do so] (and own property)..." In fact, I'm happy to say, it still doesn't!

On 2008-02-24 09:18, Thomas wrote:
Thanks for the warning. There seems to be a threat of violence underlying a number of these comments -- what a terrible shame. It never occurred to me that the many Hawaiians living, for example, in nearby Las Vegas, are being "GRACIOUSLY ALLOWED [to do so] (and own property)..." In fact, I'm happy to say, it still doesn't!

Violence ? Not here, but that Mainland attitude and sense of entitlement will sometimes attract a violent reaction from some islanders.

Be warned.

T

Let me make clear that I was talking about "references" to violence, no sense of threat or animosity actually going back and forth among us here in this discussion! I certainly don't feel any, nor do I sense any coming from anyone else.

I was talking about enforcement of contracts and peaceful arbitration of disputes. Calling that a "mainland attitude" seems a bit condescending to Hawaiians. Compounding this, you set up as a contrast to this attitude what I presume you would call a "Hawaiian attitude" wherein such procedures are dispensed with and violence is threatened. And "sense of entitlement"? Wouldn't that apply to someone who holds the right to free mobility and action across all other 49 states, but would restrict others, perhaps even with threats of violence, from enjoying those freedoms in Hawaii based on their race and geographic origin?

I have to question how good a spokesperson you are for Hawaiian sensibilities.

Okay, okay, okay everyone. Please calm down. No one here is a "facist". (Especially not me.) But if you are truly into Hawaiiana, then you really need to be aware of the history of its people. I am NOT a Hawaiian, but I have enjoyed vacationing on those beautiful islands for many years. It's a well-documented fact that Hawaii was literally "stolen" by the U.S. government for military purposes... and this came after decades of them welcoming us to their islands. They welcomed the missionaries, (who forced the Hawaiians to stop dancing their hula and give up their native religion and brought some lovely new diseases and rodents to them, too) and gave them land and status, expecting the same graciousness in return. Yes, the non-natives brought education and written language and, yes, the Hawaiians were smart enough to have booted them off had they truly hated them. But the U.S. government DID take Hawaii away from the Hawaiians and now there is a big native movement going on over there to get some of their land rights back. One of the reasons Hawaiians are moving to Las Vegas because they CAN'T AFFORD to live in the own homeland anymore. Wealthy mainlanders have bought up the land, built expensive homes and jacked up everyone's property taxes so now the locals can't afford to keep their homes and the younger Hawaiians can't afford homes at all. Yes, this is just the way of the world, I guess, but one would think there might be some tax break given to people who can claim native Hawaiian ancestry, so they aren't forced to leave. I don't think that's facism, I think that's being human and giving a damn. I grew up in a small California beach town and experienced the same thing. But I'm no hypocrite: I sure do love some of the swanky restaurants and fine hotels in Hawaii, and I've even rented some of those fancy homes for my vacations! But there has to be some kind of consideration given so that the Hawaiians don't lose what little they have left. In case you didn't know, the song "Aloha Oe" was written by the last queen of Hawaii. Everyone thinks it's just a sweet little "goodbye" song, but she wrote it because her heart was breaking since she was being forced to leave her throne and her people by the U.S. Government. So... all I'm saying here is, if you're going to enjoy Hawaii, please be considerate of the locals and their feelings. They haven't been our 50th state for all that long, and how they "became" our 50th state is not a happy story for most. Am I glad they're part of the U.S.? ABSOLUTELY! I doubt we could have won WWII without them! Do I love going there on vacation and enjoying all the beauty and even the touristy rinky-dink? You bet! Do I proudly write for a magazine that features Tiki imagery and Hawaiiana in both traditional and (definitely) non-traditional ways? Happily! All I'm saying is that woman at that condo was way out of line with her negative response to a lovely gift with great local symbolism. She has every right to live there and all that... but she really should read up on her Hawaiian history if she's going to call that place her "home". And anyone who is into Tiki and Hawaiiana might want to read a bit about it, too. It will make you appreciate the next Tiki you buy even more -- whether it's an authentic vintage piece or a fun collectible mug. And it will make your visit to the Hawaiian islands even more meaningful. I hope everyone has a chance to visit (or live in) Hawaii! To revel in the gorgeous scenery, have wild fun, and enjoy tropical drinks at some fabulous hotel at sunset...it's a wonderful experience. Just make sure you raise your glass once in appreciation to why you're there.

I'm not claiming to be....just referring to this statement...

"Actually I believe we're discussing an American citizen living in an American state and enjoying the property rights thereof, not to mention the culture and system of contracts and arbitration indicated by: "[it] will be subjected to a vote by the Board in the next few weeks..."

Just saying that there is a slight undercurrent of entitlement in that statement, and that might get you some not so desirable reactions from certain factions living on the islands. Not saying that you are incorrect in your sentiments, because Hawaii IS A US State, but....

just be careful of how and where you say that kind of thing in Hawaii.

Perhaps, you should Google "Hawaiian Sovereignty Movement" to see what I mean..

Do you have your TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA CD YET ?
http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-02-24 11:33 ]

Thanx Tagaroa-Ru, for explaining it better than me.

Good seeing you last night too....

Funny, but that Doug Horne Print you bought is REALLY relevant to this thread..perhaps you should post a pic of it. :)

T

Excellent comments. It's always rewarding to see different viewpoints, even pointed disputes, stay totally civil and sharing-oriented.

My personal opinion is that ethnic Hawaiians who wish to advance the well-being of people who share their ethnic characteristics should run as fast as possible away from schemes that aim to create differential treatments of/for them in the realms of politics, law, taxation, social welfare policies, etc., for down that road lie weakness, insularity, and resentment.

Then again:
No one has asked for my opinion;
This point of view is rarely heeded anyway;
This is getting off the topic of this thread;
This is getting into a kind of historical discussion that has gone on a number of times previously on TC;
And it is also getting into the area of politics, which is discouraged here, and for good reason.

Quite right, Thomas. But isn't it great that we can exchange opinions and ideas? I think everyone has made their point very well. Over and out on this, and I wish you much aloha!

PS: Yes, Tikiyaki, you're right. That Doug Horne print I bought is very appropriate to all of this. Doug told me that not everyone "gets" the humor in his "Jesus Loves Tiki" print. I guess I'm one of the "special" (ahem...) ones...

By the way, I love your cd! I bought it at the last Tonga Hut party and it is great! Thanks for putting cool new exotica music out there in the world.

And good to see you, too, last night.

Are there any native Hawaiians left in West Maui?

I'm surprised my HOA lets me have visible Tikis and Pink Flamingos.
A prior manager did a report which included them in a list of residents' violations, but nothing ever became of it.

My advice: Run for the Board - it is what I did, but then the price became too high.
Too many stupid and totally inconsequential meetings.

It is rather ironic that Ka'anapali Beach Hotel has an enormous Ku for the tourists benefit and even name renamed the patio and buffet breakfast after it, but that the HOA would find a similar Tiki inappropriate.

If I marry Delphenium Angel and move to Maui, I will be sure and place a Tiki in the front yard.

B

Great posts. Too bad our country can't use the same method when dealing with other countries...but that's politics so I'll stop right there!

On 2008-02-22 19:13, JanetMermaid wrote:
G-damned religious nuts. These are the same types who forced the Hawaiians to cover themselves and forbade them to surf.

Sheesh.....

Hey! I'm a religious nut. The Gnomon, DD, PhD. Pagan macadamia with almondine overtones.

Kinda reminds me of city folk who relocate their residences to the fresh air of the countryside. The first thing they do is fell all of the trees, bulldoze the land until it looks completely man-made, then they put down sod and plant saplings that die every few years. Ahhh! Nature!

It sounds like some of them have no appreciation for the spirit of Hawai'i. You should probably alert The Maui News and the Haleakala Times.

Unfortunatey, when you buy into an association with CC&R's you've signed a contract and are under the control of the Board Members. They pretty much dictate what can and cannot be done on the grounds.

Unfortunately, many people associate the tikis with pagan gods. In another thread someone was having problems with a religous mother-in-law that would not visit their home until they removed their tikis. It's very common. You can try and convince people that you're not worshiping them, try and give them the history, the cultural aspect, etc. but the idea that it could possibly be worshiped or idolized as a god of some sort, is bad enough. It's that "thou must not worhsip any other gods", dogma. -- to each their own.

My my mom kept on turning a tiki I carved into a corner of the room and then finally put it outside. My mom kept on calling it an "ugly doll" and was a bit frigtened of it. Yet a visiting member of her church saw it called it "art". You can't win to lose.....

Why is anybody even considering the offended sensibility's of any religious nut?
The rest of this post has been sanatized by managment for your protection

T

Religious nuts, there great mixed with walnuts....
People who buy into the gated christian community .. well there looking to be safe from 'THOSE' people !!!!
You take a shot at me for saying that but inside you know it's true !!!

On 2008-02-25 15:40, CheekyGirl wrote:
You can try and convince people that you're not worshiping them, try and give them the history, the cultural aspect, etc. but the idea that it could possibly be worshiped or idolized as a god of some sort, is bad enough. It's that "thou must not worhsip any other gods", dogma. -- to each their own.

Or maybe you should leave worshippings, like some do to Pele.
Offer some to the Tiki God Maui, as well.

Throw nuts into volcano............mmmm tasty toasted nuts.

Down with all you heathens!!!! Repent!!!!

Q
QPQ posted on Wed, Feb 27, 2008 2:45 PM

Well...I'm Christian - please don't throw me to the lions..

From a belief standpoint, I have no issue with Tikis (have a few in my house and like to read about the history)

It really sounds more like a control thing as others have mentioned. Even though everyone really likes it, it was a bad idea because she didn't come up with it. Seems like gathering written support from others or "leaking it to the press" would be the best options to try to get it moved back outside.

Slightly OT, but others have discussed it is the attitude toward mainlanders.

As much as I like going to HI, supporting the very thing that many Hawaiians dislike (commercialization)always gives me a pause. I try to do my best to be respectful and since I like the history, it usually breaks the ice when someone is sincere about knowing more.

An example is a Road to Hana trip we took. Our driver/guide was not rude by any means, but she kept making sure we knew it was "their" island. After I asked a number of historical questions, showed interest in her home and tried my hand at some Hawaiian beyond Aloha and Mahalo, she turned into a very warm person and we even made some extra stops to jump off a waterfall. I can imagine how some people act when they're on vacation, so I can feel for anybody that has to put up with that on a daily basis. Respect gets respect in many cases and I think they genuinely appreciate that you care about them and the islands.

I can see how some feel very bad blood about the whole state issue , but sometimes I think the cause could be furthered better by INVOLVING the average mainlander by showing just what is so special about the Hawaiian culture. These are the people that would stand up with the Hawaiians, not the politicians.

Just like every other race, religion, nationality, etc, there are good and there are bad - fact of life.

Whoa, sorry that was kind of long.
Tikiyaki - good tunes, I think I will purchase some at the end of the week!

Everybody have a great day - Ron

Aloha, OPQ. Welcome to the Ohana.

Q
QPQ posted on Thu, Feb 28, 2008 7:12 AM

Mahalo Christiki!

My wife & I just booked tickets for 7 days on Oahu (second visit)with our daughter & her friend. They'll be seniors next year and want me to attempt a few "senior pictures" while we're there.

Now I'm broke for the rest of the year...

Ok, I'm done highjacking this thread.

Ron

On 2008-02-22 19:13, JanetMermaid wrote:
G-damned religious nuts.

Well, I'll come out of the closet here and admit that I'm Pagan (Wiccan, actually,

I am a religious nut...a regular Jesus freak! I enjoy my TiKi's and my Polynesian decor but if any of it compromised my beliefs I would choose my belief first. (Other wise it would not be a belief, perhaps a fad or passing fancy?)

I think pointing fingers and calling names is wrong no matter what RELIGION you stand for.

I agree!! Tkkiyaki is not only a myspace friend but Koko Surfu plays in my "happy place"!!
Give the condo person a Tikiyaki CD and SHE will put up TiKi's

I

I always wonder why anyone would buy into a condo with these association rules in the first place. The whole point of them is to have uniformity. My grandmother is in one...she got nastygrams and threats of fines for having a single brick lying at the side of her carport. Another elderly fella was targeted for growing a tomato plant outside his carport.

I wouldn't live in a condo for anything.

T

On 2008-02-29 07:24, bananabobs wrote:

I agree!! Tkkiyaki is not only a myspace friend but Koko Surfu plays in my "happy place"!!
Give the condo person a Tikiyaki CD and SHE will put up TiKi's

:) "Happy Place".... awesome !

Regarding Irishf's opinion on condo living....

When you live in a place like California...sometimes you just can't afford a House....Condo is a great alternative because it allows you to own, and be able to do whatever you want to the inside of your place...it's the "common areas" that you can't mess with. Also, if you're not into doing yardwork, a condo a good way to go.

It's the middle ground between renting an apartment and owning a home.

I had a condo and I loved it.

I

Tikiyaki, thanks for the comment. Makes sense to me! I did not express myself very skillfully...what I was really reacting to were the posts about association rules. It seems to me that one would know going in to a condo that there are rules to be followed. In that case, it's no surprise when those rules get enforced.

Mahalo for all the comments and suggestions! We are back on the mainland now, and reflecting on what happened on Maui with the Tiki. I chatted with many people who live on the island, and their comments were varied. Some understood the religious undertones of having a Tiki as part of the landscape, but most felt that Tikis have evolved into cultural symbols of protection, well being, and ohana.

If the condo association votes against having the Tiki in the common area of the complex, we believe they will site the reason being "to prevent the acceptance of gifts which would clutter up the grounds". The Rental Manager stated that the condos had only received 2 "gifts" over the last 15 years she has worked there... a new mailbox supported by a metal turtle (honu) sculpture, and my Tiki. The Directors are due to vote on this issue in May.

Tikis have taken on an entirely different symbol to me since I have been more involved with Tiki Central. I never thought of them as religious icons such as I would view a Virgin Mary, crucifix, or Buddha statue. To me, Tikis are signs of gatherings to talk story, drink, and socialize with the Tiki Ohana. With that said, I will now spread my six new 5-6" Coco Joe Tikis around the office for everyone to appreciate!!

Mahalo!
Myke

Pages: 1 45 replies