Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis 9 - Tiki Surf City, San Diego is online!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 359 replies

B

JUST ADDED - each attendee to RUM INC is getting a $15 cocktail set for FREE this year! You will be able to mix your drinks at home like a pro! don't cha just love Tiki Oasis?! #tikio

On 2009-07-21 23:13, MrGreenTiki wrote:
Let's start working to make Tiki Oasis a carbon neutral event.

One easy first step is to reduce the number of disposable plastic
cups. If everybody brings their own re-usable
pool-safe tiki mug, mother nature will hula.

I'll give the temporary tattoo below to anyone & everyone
who makes a solemn pledge to use their own mug in place of
plastic landfill fodder.

Please contact me if you'd like the high-resolution JPG to make
give-away T-shirts, hats, or other aloha wearables.

MrGreenTiki

[ Edited by: MrGreenTiki 2009-07-22 12:44 ]

So I guess this means I can use my "Party City" tiki mugs in public without shame!!!!

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-07-24 12:22 ]

R

On 2009-07-20 22:31, martini kings wrote:
aloha friends,
if my 55 chevy truck pulling my 62 travel trailer(complete with tiki bar)make it all the way to san diego and tiki oasis without breaking down it will be a miracle!
check out photos of my tiki trailer and truck under the tiki central forum "other crafts" title is martini kings paradise getaway.(13 photos posted there)
mahalo!
tony

[ Edited by: martini kings 2009-07-21 07:46 ]

seriously, this is one of THE COOLEST ideas I've ever seen in mixing indoor/ourdoor decor

• Kudos' to Tony
    (how do you say "kudos" in Hawaiian anyway?)
  • Rosered :)
R

On 2009-07-21 22:18, babydoe wrote:
Remember to make Tiki Oasis a Twitter friend: http://twitter.com/tikioasis
and to include #tikio for your posts about the weekender!

ALSO there are only a handful of tickets left for Martin's symposiums!! Get tix like...er... tonight!!

XOXO Baby Doe

CRAP! Okaaaay... I guess I am joining Twitter RIGHT NOW.

R

On 2009-07-24 12:20, Beach Bum Scott wrote:

On 2009-07-21 23:13, MrGreenTiki wrote:
Let's start working to make Tiki Oasis a carbon neutral event.

One easy first step is to reduce the number of disposable plastic
cups. If everybody brings their own re-usable
pool-safe tiki mug, mother nature will hula.

I'll give the temporary tattoo below to anyone & everyone
who makes a solemn pledge to use their own mug in place of
plastic landfill fodder.

Please contact me if you'd like the high-resolution JPG to make
give-away T-shirts, hats, or other aloha wearables.

MrGreenTiki

[ Edited by: MrGreenTiki 2009-07-22 12:44 ]

So I guess this means I can use my "Party City" tiki mugs in public without shame!!!!

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-07-24 12:22 ]

HA ha ha! That's EXACTLY what i was thinking too :)

R

On 2009-07-21 22:18, babydoe wrote:
Remember to make Tiki Oasis a Twitter friend: http://twitter.com/tikioasis
and to include #tikio for your posts about the weekender!

ALSO there are only a handful of tickets left for Martin's symposiums!! Get tix like...er... tonight!!

XOXO Baby Doe

Just for TC and the Oasis... I Finally got on Twitter. (user name: Rosered03)
:)

[ Edited by: RoseRed 2009-07-24 16:44 ]

B

TICKETS -
Remember to BUY your tickets to Oasis! Tickets seem to be selling fast and I want to make sure everyone remembers to buy their tickets to the event (remember tix don't come with the hotel rooms!!) and please tell your pals not to wait til the show to get tickets. People better get them in advance this year! Usually we sell out the week of the event and have a few at the door but it looks like things will sell out beforehand this year!!
http://www.tikioasis.com/tickets

REGISTRATION (to pick up your wristband - YES you have to wear these! We will have extra security this year!)
Thursday at the Bali Hai 7:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Friday at the Crowne Plaza Lobby 2:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Saturday at the Crowne Plaza Lobby 10:00 am – 11:00 pm

I will be bringing these..am managing the artist alley this year but will have my wares at the ready..also got 2 nights at Humphreys that weekend for UNDER 200..flippin SCHWEET

if anyone is interested in these or a rum painting please feel free to PM me
More stuff

just happen to bring these old THANGS in the TRUNK with me

no pressure no hype

ahuka a'la a'la palu

BB MoondoggyO
sweatin' to Quiet Village in AZ

[ Edited by: bb moondog 2009-08-12 13:30 ]

B

Hi guys I got this e-mail today and I just want to make sure at least the tiki central people know that security will be DOUBLED this year so if you don't have a wristband you will NOT get into the evening events!! Remember you HAVE to buy a ticket to get into the evening show!

I got this note from a tiki oasis fan "I know the last few years the whole "wristband" thing was suppose to give you access to the entertainment..... The security was so lacking at regulating this that i think people have caught wind of this and realize hey we dont need a wristband because they dont enforce that. In fact im going to tell my buddies to come down once it gets dark also....."

This isn't the first time we have heard this and Otto and I personally witnessed last year many people who we knew (and we knew purchased tickets or were on the guestlist) not wearing their wristbands. To make the event safe and secure for ALL attendees this will not be accepted this year. Everyone will have a wristband from bands, vendors to ticket purchasers.

Remember to get your tickets as I swear that this event WILL SELL OUT in advance!! So sneaking in just won't be an option! :)

XOXO Baby Doe
Tiki Oasis

Aloha from the Tiki Oasis Volunteer Hut!

This just in.. MIXOLOGY ASSISTANT POSITION NOW AVAILABLE..

Mahalo to all our Volunteers and I was going to congratulate everyone
for filling the schedule, setting a new Tiki Oasis Volunteer
record!.... but... we just got a cancellation for one of the most
coveted positions - Martin Cate's Mixology Assistant!

If you're the one for the job, please read the description carefully
and feel free to forward to any likely suspect.

Have you ever been to a magic show and wished you could be backstage
to learn all of the magician's secrets?

Martin Cate's Mixology Symposium was the biggest sell-out symposium
last year and we just posted for one more mixology assistant.

Everyone is welcome to apply and preference will be given to those
with some bartending experience that are fun, outgoing and can work
fast!

Here's the job description:

Mixology assistant
1 position available
Paid volunteer $50.

6 hours total. This position’s primary duty is to squeeze juices and
mix drinks. This person will also help in the set up and breakdown of
the cocktail
station and light clean up of the room. This person should be outgoing
and friendly and able to work quickly. You will need to meet Martin in
advance of symposium for 4 hours the day beforehand. Ideal candidate
is interested in learning Martin’s Mixology as you will be working
hard to learn these drinks and mix them fast!!

Hours: Friday prep time: TBD, Saturday prep: 12-2:00, event: 2:00-4:00

TO APPLY, please reply to the google groups with:

YOUR NAME
EMAIL
ANY BARTENDING EXPERIENCE
A SEVEN WORD ESSAY WHY YOU SHOULD BE CHOSEN AS THE NEXT MIXOLOGY IDOL!

to check out the Volunteer group, go here:

http://tinyurl.com/TO9Volunteers

To request a shift or if you have questions, PLEASE REPLY TO THE GROUP. All posts are moderated by yours truly.

Check out the TikiWiki for all the haps!

Mucho Mahalos and...

See you at the Oasis!

M

On 2009-07-28 14:30, babydoe wrote:
Remember to get your tickets as I swear that this event WILL SELL OUT in advance!! So sneaking in just won't be an option! :)
XOXO Baby Doe
Tiki Oasis

Question - Are you saying that there are a limited number of the $40 wristbands? I may have guests coming to the event, but they're not a definite yet. Can we buy extra wristbands when we get there?

http://www.tabooisland.com
http://tabooisland.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: Mo-Eye 2009-07-28 20:31 ]

LT

Will a wristband be needed to shop in the vending area?

B

Yes to attend the evening events on Friday and Saturday night you will need to purchase a $40 ticket (we will give you a wristband to wear when you get to the event) and YES there is a limited amount (we have a capacity afterall!). I strongly suggest that no one wait until the last minute to purchase wristbands. We are very close to getting sold out and I know I would be so sad if I didn't have a ticket to the night time show so I assume others would be sad too!

I don't know what advice to give your friends that are on the fence about coming.... I guess I would say try and get them to make a decision so you can get them tickets. The way things are going it might not be impossible to sell these tickets to someone else - but hey that is your deal to figure out! :)

Look forward to seeing everyone in a couple weeks!!
XOXO Baby Doe

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Jul 29, 2009 3:50 AM

Nobody's getting into any of the seminars this year without the correct wristbands either!

I don't care how well you knew Martin in 1983 or how many drinks you've slurped with Otto or if you're a National Geographic photog, you ain't gettin past us without them cute leetle pink & orange wristbands! Sold Out means Sold Out!

Aloha folks, but wear them bracelets!

Tiki lovers attending Tiki Oasis will not want to miss
Local Historian Alexander "Uncle Poi Dog" Bevil as he presents
Paradise Found: San Diego's Atomic Tiki Landmarks

Although Tiki Modern's roots date back before World War II, San Diego's is a post-war phenomenon, reaching its zenith just prior to and immediately after Hawaiian statehood, which, coincidentally, will celebrate its 50th anniversary this August 21st.

Alex will "talk story" about the history of San Diego County's iconic Tiki style landmarks, including the Half Moon Inn, Bali Hai Restaurant, Trader Mort's Liquor Store, Vacation Village Resort, and the Windansea Surf Shack.

Speaking of historic surf shacks, Alex would like to dedicate his presentation to the Brothers Kawananakoa, George Freeth, and the great Duke Kahanamoku, pioneer Hawaiian-kine or Kanaka Maoli who introduced the sport of he'e nalu or board surfing to California.

Location Kona Coast Room
When Sunday, August 16, 2009
Time 10-11am
Cost $3

For more details on Tiki Oasis 2009, and tickets to this and other symposiums, go to http://www.tikioasis.com

M

And boy howdy could I knock em back in 1983.

R

On 2009-07-23 10:13, babydoe wrote:
JUST ADDED - each attendee to RUM INC is getting a $15 cocktail set for FREE this year! You will be able to mix your drinks at home like a pro! don't cha just love Tiki Oasis?! #tikio

which one is "Rum Inc"? Is it on Friday or Saturday?

P

I think that is the Saturday seminar. The Friday seminar is Rum and Chocolate. I am going to them both anyway.

R

On 2009-07-29 17:07, PiPhiRho wrote:
I think that is the Saturday seminar. The Friday seminar is Rum and Chocolate. I am going to them both anyway.

SWEET! I am going to the Saturday one so that is FANTASTIC news!
Thanx PiPhiRho :)

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jul 31, 2009 1:16 PM

Symposium Spotlight On.....

Bohemian Surf: A Slideshow from Hawaiian Antiquity to Surfing's Pop Culture Explosion.
Saturday, August 15th 10-11:00am. 5 clams, Not Sold Out Yet!
Hosted by Brian Chidester and Domenic Priore, authors of the new book “Pop Surf Culture”.

Now Domenic is pretty well known for doing the best slideshows on Earth about retro music - in college, he produced his own public access TV show, It’s Happening, a tribute to 1960s dance shows like Shindig!, Ready Steady Go, Hollywood a Go Go, and Hullabaloo. He’s written a definitive book on Beachboy Brian Wilson, also the classic books “Beatsville” and “Riot on Sunset Strip”.

Chidester is a publisher/editor/producer/director of just about everything concerning the Beach Boys, 60’s surf culture or anything interesting about any retro rock subject you can imagine. So the idea that you can still get in to see these two guys for 5 clams is pretty amazing, and their photo-dazzling talk on how the big surfing wave hit the US in the 60’s is going to be a highlight of Oasis this year!

Aw man, it looks like both rum seminars are sold out! ANY chance tickets will become available the day of?

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jul 31, 2009 3:40 PM

I'm going to have a "Stand By" line, which means you can stand by while everybody else gets smashed!

Just kidding, yes, there will be a wait line and if people don't show up who say they're showing up we'll let some extras in. They do that in NY theaters all the time. Last year we had at least 15 extra seats from no-shows, but there may be way less this time. (If Martin still has that volunteer position as a mixologist you can actually get in free for helping, but that position may have been filled by now.)

Anyway, get there early to be first in the stand by line!

O
Otto posted on Sat, Aug 1, 2009 8:50 PM

On 2009-07-31 13:19, Easter Island Elvis wrote:
Aw man, it looks like both rum seminars are sold out! ANY chance tickets will become available the day of?

if you wear pajamas you can get into a room party where martin will be bartending

Cammo, will copies of the Pop Surf Culture book be on sale at Oasis?

Would love to pick up one of those in person!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-08-02 11:47 ]

J

On 2009-08-02 11:47, Lake Surfer wrote:
Cammo, will copies of the Pop Surf Culture book be on sale at Oasis?

Would love to pick up one of those in person!

Domenic will be selling and signing copies of the book during the Saturday afternoon book signing session in the lobby of the Kona Coast room, 3:30-4:30.
http://tikioasis.com/tickets/#autographsignings

[ Edited by: JenTiki 2009-08-02 14:11 ]

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Aug 2, 2009 2:52 PM

Yes! Jentikicammo is right!

That was going to be my next post, the book signings starting at 3:30 on Saturday afternoon.

When you exit Martin's Lushy King seminar, corked to the gills and pockets stuffed with goodies, magically right in front of you where you stood in line will be these guys, all selling and signing:

Domenic Priore "Pop Surf Culture","Riot on the Sunset Strip" & "Dumb Angel Gazette"
Brian Chidester "Pop Surf Culture" & "Dumb Angel Gazette"

Jay Strongman "Tiki Mugs: Cult Artifacts of Polynesian Pop"

Greg Shmanske "Bed Time Stories for Surfers (The Romantic Tales of Hang Ten Tiki)" with cover art by Thor

James Teitelbaum "Big Stone Head: Easter Island and Pop Culture" ebook

and last but not least ...

Shag Toes on the Nose Tiki Oasis 9 shirt and shirt tag signing. Shag will only be signing the Tiki Oasis 9 limited edition shirts from Toes on the Nose, nothing else! So there!

O
Otto posted on Sun, Aug 2, 2009 11:22 PM

On 2009-08-02 14:52, Cammo wrote:

That was going to be my next post, the book signings starting at 3:30 on Saturday afternoon.

When you exit Martin's Lushy King seminar, corked to the gills and pockets stuffed with goodies, magically right in front of you where you stood in line will be these guys, all selling and signing:

Domenic Priore "Pop Surf Culture","Riot on the Sunset Strip" & "Dumb Angel Gazette"
Brian Chidester "Pop Surf Culture" & "Dumb Angel Gazette"

Brian Chidester moved to the east coast and will not make the signing this year
but we are working on a surprise special guest that I will announce alter this week

Thanks for the info on the book signing!

One other question...

Does the Crowne Plaza have WiFi in the vending area?

I've read that the hotel has hookups in-room and elsewhere for $9.95/day,

but I was hoping I might be able to bring a laptop to accept Paypal and be able to catch some wireless.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-08-03 00:00 ]

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Aug 3, 2009 4:54 AM

"Brian Chidester moved to the east coast and will not make the signing this year."

See, I thought it was too good to be true!

And why not just call the hotel, Lake Bro? They have one of those new-fangled 800 numbers and everything!
Hey, by the way your stuff is AMAZING!

M

On 2009-08-01 20:50, Otto wrote:

if you wear pajamas you can get into a room party where martin will be bartending

Maybe!

Folks- I am telling all of you- when the room is packed full, we're closing the door. Please make sure you are there early - in PJs and in line!

Cheers!

Looking forward to seeing everyone at TIKI OASIS!

[ Edited by: atomsmasher 2009-08-04 09:54 ]

R

hmmm, are pajamas the required attire to attend or just suggested?

• Rosered
C
Cammo posted on Mon, Aug 3, 2009 12:49 PM

Hoe come I start feeling drunk when Martin posts something?

R

On 2009-08-03 12:24, RoseRed wrote:

hmmm, are pajamas the required attire to attend or just suggested?

• Rosered

( No need to respond to my question... I just got the answer by reading the link from the topic page- and posted like 7 comments as well).

D
DJLee posted on Mon, Aug 3, 2009 2:04 PM

Hi - I need to find a roomate to share a room at the Crowne on Thursday, Friday and Saturday -

Please contact me at [email protected] AND [email protected]

thanks!
L

Cammo,

Thanks much for the props on my work... totally appreciate it!

So I did call the hotel as per your advice and they were a great help.

Just thought I'd share my findings in case anyone else was interested.

If you have a laptop, you can log on to a wireless service pool side for the same charge the hotel has indoors.

Crowne Plaza has a wireless provider that they use.

Indoors is a different thing, and the Crowne needs to hook you up to that.

So then you're good to go as far as Paypal and all that fun internet stuff.

Those interested may want to inquire at the front desk for more info on how to get hooked up.

R

On 2009-08-03 09:24, martiki wrote:

Maybe!

Folks- I am telling all of you- when the room is packed full, we're closing the door. Please make sure you are there early - in PJs and in line!

Cheers!

hmmm, when is EARLY pray tell? like 11pm perhaps?

• Rosered
C
Cammo posted on Tue, Aug 4, 2009 10:57 AM

*hmmm, when is EARLY pray tell? like 11pm perhaps?

• Rosered*

11:00pm of the day before is good. Last year, Humuhumu and King Kukulele spent the night in sleeping bags in the hallway to be first in line.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.