Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis 9 - Tiki Surf City, San Diego is online!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 359 replies

R

On 2009-08-06 07:00, Cammo wrote:
Look, Rosie, I'm just kidding!

There are no bad seats at Martin's seminars, as I've said before. You really don't have to line up a day in advance and sleep in the lobby! Kidding!

Just get there before the show sometime and check the line, it's right beside the pool inside the hotel, its easy. Don't worry. Just get in line whenever you feel like it. We can't estimate the size of the line or when you should start standing there cause it ain't happened yet and we don't have a crystal ball. I don't think we have a crystal ball anyway, I'll have to ask Marty about that, he may have one...

Kidding! We really don't have a crystal ball!

Relax and don't worry, you'll get in and it will be OUTRAGEOUSLY FUN!!!!!!

Okay, glad u were kidding ,but I was referring to getting in line for THE PAJAMA PARTY.. IS 11PM TOO LATE TO GET IN LINE FOR THAT?
(Sadly, I won't be able to use my VIP pass for martins seminar, because I'll be rushing from the Tahitian Dance seminar).

My head is going to explode with all the activities! I've got to figure out how to be in multiple places at one time!! I'm so glad to hear the Hula Girls are playing! I'll be there for sure :) There's going to be no time to lay by the pool and drink! I'll just have to try to not spill my drinks during all the running around :)

MT

Here is the latest on The First Annual Tiki Oasis Car Show:

The Tiki Oasis Car Show is on Saturday August 15th from 10:00am - 4:00pm, and on Sunday August 16th from 10:00am - 1:00pm. It's open to the general public! So come on down, all you lurkers, gremmies, and hodads, you don't need a ticket to Tiki Oasis to go to the Car Show!!!

The Hula Girls will be performing on Saturday from 11:00am - 1:00pm!

There will be totally bitchin' give aways on the Car Show stage at 12:00noon on Saturday! Free scoops for you beach bunnys and hot doggers to score!!!

Pin-up photo shoot at 3:00pm on Saturday! Totally boss!!!

The Ding Dong Devils will perform on Sunday August 16th at 11:00am!

And here is a sampling of some of the cars that will be shootin' the curl at the Tiki Oasis Car Show:

Didja scope out the gnarlatious blown hemi in that Model T?!? It's off the richter! Cowabunga!!!

There's more cool rides to see! So strap on your huraches and lock in at the Tiki Oasis Car Show, Quasimoto!

B

Only 50 tickets left to Tiki Oasis! I swear! You should all know better and have gotten your tickets by now right? Why would anyone wait to the last minute for such a GREAT SHOW!!

Oh yeah and rooms do NOT come with a ticket so get your tickets asap!!

http://www.tikioasis.com

On 2009-08-07 00:32, babydoe wrote:
Only 50 tickets left to Tiki Oasis! I swear! You should all know better and have gotten your tickets by now right? Why would anyone wait to the last minute for such a GREAT SHOW!!

Oh yeah and rooms do NOT come with a ticket so get your tickets asap!!

http://www.tikioasis.com

MAhalos for reminding me Doe.

Mrs. Boo and I just got our tickets.

We're coming as Tiki Civilians this time.

See ya'll at the pool!

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Aug 7, 2009 3:44 PM

Hey, thanks to Mai Tai for all the car show details! I'm trying to make mugs, hats and finish a carving all at once, so its been a wee bit busy at Casa Cammo.

Does anybody know about the Dr. Sketchy "art classes without class"? Can they give us some info and pics?

R

On 2009-08-06 20:09, TxTikiGirl wrote:
My head is going to explode with all the activities! I've got to figure out how to be in multiple places at one time!! I'm so glad to hear the Hula Girls are playing! I'll be there for sure :) There's going to be no time to lay by the pool and drink! I'll just have to try to not spill my drinks during all the running around :)

well... there's always SUNDAY :wink:

Just got my copy of Tiki Magazine with a nice public service message from Mr. Green Tiki. Don't forget your plastic tiki mug for poolside beverages - NO RED CUPS!

Thanks for that reminder. Someone should bring extras.

DC

B

I am looking for a couple more pin-up photographers for the photoshoots on Friday and Saturday.

If you are interested OR know anyone that is please send links to photos you have taken by Monday to
[email protected]

Also I have a couple slots open for models also if interested in that please send me links to photos of you

Thanks!
XOXO Baby Doe
Tiki Oasis

W

That green "t" in Mai Tais post should get kudos for being in
Oct. Rod & Custom magazine page 36.
They liked it

T

The car show sounds great - especially for an old moterhead like myself.

Boy, Car and Tiki - it doesn't get any better!

Too bad I don't have a wand to transport these from my East Coast home:

Is there a map someone can post of all the vendor's and artist's booth locations?

tikibob - You could shoot pool on the trunk lid of that '66 Electra. What a sweet land yacht! :)

T

On 2009-08-09 12:02, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
tikibob - You could shoot pool on the trunk lid of that '66 Electra. What a sweet land yacht! :)

Thanks for the comment.

The named those things Electra 225s because, and this is no joke, they are 225 inches long. That makes that bad boy 19 feet long! Land yacht for sure.

TB

MR

Just finished the dancer stages today. Can't wait to set 'em up at Oasis. I'll be posting pics in a day or so.
Surfink City here I come!

MB

JOEY!!!!!!

Reminnder,
Tiki Tena and myself will be djing Exotica/Hawaiian and SURF!! at the Pool on Sunday from 1:30 pm to 6 pm, for your lounging and recuperating from the weekend needs.
I hope some of you will hang out before heading out, and kick back and soak in some tunes by the pool.

The Traffic heading back north to LA can be a beooch if you leave early.
I recommend, hanging out, then go to dinner in SD area after 6,
then head North at 8 ish, way less traffic.

Jeff(bigtikidude)
"Where Good Rum is Immortalized, and Drinking is an Art"
"And, When that old "Demon Rum" slips past the lips it still works its ancient,cheerful magic" (Don the Beachcomber)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-08-09 21:28 ]

Holy cow, I cannot get anymore excited for this. I've tried, believe me!!

All systems go from the Volunteer Hut! Now I can start packing the rum and retrofitting the ukelele for 240V.

Heck, I just might wear pajamas all weekend...

See you at the Oasis!

Matthew E. "Hukilau" Brown

Tiki Oasis Voluntiki Kahuna
4 year veteran of the Tiki Oasis Room Crawl
"I survived 135"

Palu Ohana, Hale Ka'ahele
Pacific Palisades, CA

Home of "Palu, the Wonder Tiki"

[ Edited by: Hukilau Brown 2009-08-10 02:49 ]

On 2009-08-09 21:28, bigtikidude wrote:
Reminnder,
Tiki Tena and myself will be djing Exotica/Hawaiian and SURF!! at the Pool on Sunday from 1:30 pm to 6 pm, for your lounging and recuperating from the weekend needs.
I hope some of you will hang out before heading out, and kick back and soak in some tunes by the pool.

Jeff(bigtikidude)
"And, When that old "Demon Rum" slips past the lips it still works its ancient,cheerful magic" (Don the Beachcomber)

Great idea, I'm taking ya up on it besides, that will be my opportunity to relax after the parties.

M

On 2009-08-10 01:24, Easter Island Elvis wrote:

OMG now thats FUNNY! 3 MORE DAYS!

B

The hotel found a few more rooms for us so this might be your lucky day!

They have 12 Friday/Saturday night reservations at hotel available! Must stay BOTH nights!

E-mail Ashley to book one! [email protected]

B

NEW THIS YEAR!

The pool will be open both Friday and Saturday night until 2am!! (if it gets too crazy the hotel will close it earlier, so don't get toooooo crazy!)

Xo Baby Doe

B

RANDOM request - need a tv or something (ideally bigger then a portable dvd player) that we can show kids movies on Saturday night from 6pm-8pm

Got anything that we can borrow? We can hook up our portable dvd player to the tv if we get one!

XO

J

On 2009-08-11 09:54, babydoe wrote:
RANDOM request - need a tv or something (ideally bigger then a portable dvd player) that we can show kids movies on Saturday night from 6pm-8pm

Got anything that we can borrow? We can hook up our portable dvd player to the tv if we get one!

XO

The hotel's A/V department should have a large monitor of some sort that would work. Of course I'm sure they'll charge an outrageous amount for it.

B

Yeah it is $200 for a tv!!

MT

Ladies and Gentlemen, the KuBar has been loaded. Let the games begin!

Oh hey, even though it's over 500 miles away, Tiki Oasis shenanigans have begun! :D

Just posted this video from Tiki Oasis 2008.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4vALS8ffn4&feature=channel

On 2009-08-12 07:09, RevBambooBen wrote:
Bring a jacket!! Brrrrr!!!

Aww man it's gonna get down to 65 at night? What kind of faux-tropical vacation is this?

Aloha!

I am bringing my Model A down for the car show too!

As for that blown hemi powered T a few pages back, that's the Royal Hawaiian and it belongs to our TO roomies, Robert and Sherry. Those slicks aren't just for show... racefans check this out-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLPd4v--jMQ

I also have lots of videos from TO8 on my youtube page, including this King Kukulele compilation I made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSptvqQNeAY&feature=channel

See you all in TIKI SURF CITY!!!

R

On 2009-08-12 07:13, Jason Wickedly wrote:

Aww man it's gonna get down to 65 at night? What kind of faux-tropical vacation is this?

no WAY!!! ugh! I will be in a swimsuit!!! Oh well, I'll be DANCING up a storm anyway (that should keep me PLENTY warm)
:)

Ok...here is my (likely) extremely stupid question and evidence of my Tiki Oasis naïveté:

We had a bit of a misunderstanding with our San Diego friends about tickets. We thought they were getting them for all of us (4), but their plan was just to go to the Bali Hai on Thursday and get tix (which they've done in years past without issue).

I received the recent missive on Facebook about the tix being sold out, so now I'm worried. We already have our train tix booked from LA on Friday (we couldn't get Thursday off, unfortunately), arriving mid-day. Our SD friends said they will hit Bali Hai tomorrow nite and get the tix, but they were under the impression that you had to CHOOSE which day you were going to for the last minute tix.

I'm totally confused and felt like the website didn't clarify quite to my level of satisfaction.

(1) Do you buy tix for each night (Friday, Saturday) separately Or is the only option the whole weekend ticket?
(2) What exactly does the ticket get you? Bands and parties?
(3) How early do our friends need to show up tomorrow to get the tix?

This is our very 1st Tiki Oasis and I guess I probably shouldn't have left the planning to someone else. :(
Sorry to be so dumb about all of this.

Great News . My first tiki mug was to be debuted at my tiki/pinup show last month. We had a few hiccups but I just heard from Holden that he got a limited supply to bring to Tiki Oasis . YAHOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!
Its called the "Moai Kava Kava" and its design is based on one of the cavestones guarding the family carvings on Easter Island . They will be sold at the Tiki Farm booth and its just a small teaser shipment.I hope to see a lot of these being used this weekend . Ill be running around with a Sharpie if you want them signed .Thanks Holden , Ray

On 2009-08-10 15:45, Mariner wrote:

On 2009-08-10 01:24, Easter Island Elvis wrote:

OMG now thats FUNNY! 3 MORE DAYS!

don't try TOO HARD..you may EXPLODE

Hey..can peeps that are staying at Half Moon PM me? wanna see who all is Shelter Islanding this year..we got a SMOKIN Rate for this weekend thru priceline there and it IS a wonderful place to stay..wanna get an OHANA PARTY goin during DOWN TIME

On 2009-08-12 12:34, spycygrl wrote:
Ok...here is my (likely) extremely stupid question and evidence of my Tiki Oasis naïveté:

We had a bit of a misunderstanding with our San Diego friends about tickets. We thought they were getting them for all of us (4), but their plan was just to go to the Bali Hai on Thursday and get tix (which they've done in years past without issue).

I received the recent missive on Facebook about the tix being sold out, so now I'm worried. We already have our train tix booked from LA on Friday (we couldn't get Thursday off, unfortunately), arriving mid-day. Our SD friends said they will hit Bali Hai tomorrow nite and get the tix, but they were under the impression that you had to CHOOSE which day you were going to for the last minute tix.

I'm totally confused and felt like the website didn't clarify quite to my level of satisfaction.

(1) Do you buy tix for each night (Friday, Saturday) separately Or is the only option the whole weekend ticket?
(2) What exactly does the ticket get you? Bands and parties?
(3) How early do our friends need to show up tomorrow to get the tix?

This is our very 1st Tiki Oasis and I guess I probably shouldn't have left the planning to someone else. :(
Sorry to be so dumb about all of this.

(1) One ticket gets you the whole boat. I'm guessing the only ones that will be ieft are the basic $40 tickets.
(2) That ticket gets you into see the bands on Friday and Saturday nights. Most of the room parties are free, but you have to have a wristband or be staying at the Hanalei to get into the hotel as far as I know.
(3) I would start staking out the Bali Hai as soon as possible. Registration at the Bali Hai starts at 7.

Have fun...good luck getting tickets.

S

On 2009-08-12 12:58, Jason Wickedly wrote:

(1) One ticket gets you the whole boat. I'm guessing the only ones that will be ieft are the basic $40 tickets.
(2) That ticket gets you into see the bands on Friday and Saturday nights. Most of the room parties are free, but you have to have a wristband or be staying at the Hanalei to get into the hotel as far as I know.
(3) I would start staking out the Bali Hai as soon as possible. Registration at the Bali Hai starts at 7.

Have fun...good luck getting tickets.

Thanks, Jason. I've forwarded your answers on to our SD friends. I guess I wasn't aware that the evening Hotel access and the entertainment were separate (having never been before). If we can't get into the Room Crawl, then so be it (tho, I would be bummed). This was a lesson learned for next year, to be sure. Our friends have been going for YEARS now and they said it was always easy to get last-minute tix and go to the room crawl, so we had no idea.

Here's hoping we get in!

Aloha everyone, if your at Oasis and have a chance, please stop by my talk on Saturday. Its about how we got into Tiki mugs the early days of the Tiki scene (pre internet) if you've seen my other talks you know what your in for.

Hope to see everyone there and stop by the booth and say hello

Bosko

Crystal Cove Media will be at Tiki Oasis 9 capturing the scene and documenting this great event. Look for several online video clips up on Youtube in the days following the event at http://www.youtube.com/user/CrystalCoveMedia

And while you're at the event, pick up the new DVD Documentary "So Cal Tiki" by Crystal Cove Media and brought to you by Tiki Farm. The DVD will be available though Tiki Farm at the "Ghouligan's Hut" booth in the indoor vending area at The Crowne Plaza Hotel in Sand Diego Ca. Save on shipping and pick it up while you're at the event!

You can also get the DVD anytime at http://www.tikifarm.com

Check out the trailer below!

"So Cal Tiki" Teaser Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WEB2Nq-weA&feature=channel_page

Aloha! And see you all there!

On 2009-08-10 15:11, Hiphipahula wrote:

On 2009-08-09 21:28, bigtikidude wrote:
Reminnder,

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Great idea, I'm taking ya up on it besides, that will be my opportunity to relax after the parties.

all righty, that's one,
anybody else?

hate to drag down all that cool vintage exotica/hawaiian/surf to play for a handful of people.

checkout of your room, slip into a swimsuit, and come hang out by the pool
from 10 am to 6pm, for lots of great entertainment,
DJ's and bands

Jeff(btd)

A

come hang out by the pool
from 10 am to 6pm, for lots of great entertainment,
DJ's and bands

Jeff(btd)

Heck, you can even come down to the pool at 9:30!

-Randy

http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/USCA0982?from=dayDetails_topnav_undeclared

Damn, that is cold.

Here in Phoenix, it is 97 degrees at midnight!

JT

.....It's sooooo ON!! "TO9" Can't wait..
see you all soon, -Johnny

N
NOTCH posted on Thu, Aug 13, 2009 6:07 AM

We are gettin ready to head down so see yall soon ya hear!!
and kUBAR IS READY FOR ACTION!!
Notch

Wear or bring Nametags!

Don't miss out on the opportunity
to say ALOHA to someone you've chatted with here for years!

we'll have them free (while supplies last)
in the Artist Alley
in Squid's and my booth!
listen for the "YEE-HAWs" and just follow them!
:)

On 2009-08-13 08:08, little lost tiki wrote:
Wear or bring Nametags!

Don't miss out on the opportunity
to say ALOHA to someone you've chatted with here for years!

Hate to admit it, but I agree with Little Lost Tiki on this one. We had name tags at Bamboo Ben's Nooner this year and it was a great way to meet all of the folks from TC (even though there were way too many Kinnys).

Here is the name tag I made for the Nooner, will have to get busy and make one for tomorrow.

DC

S

YAY! San Diego tiki companion camped out at Bali Hai and scored us some last-minute wristbands. WE'RE IN!

I would say that I'll be the girl with the flower in her hair, but I imagine that describes just about everyone. Including the dudes!

Tiki Oasis, here we come!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 359 replies