Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis 9 - Tiki Surf City, San Diego is online!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 359 replies

It's definitely going to be another memorable tiki weekender.

If it's memorable you didn't drink enough! :lol:

4 more months!
:)

hell yeah schedule of entertainment is up.
http://tikioasis.com/schedule/

The Huntington Cads :)
this band features SHAG the artist.

this is a big deal.
they haven't played in about 10 years.

I'm so happy.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

S

On 2009-04-09 08:57, bigtikidude wrote:
The Huntington Cads :)
this band features SHAG the artist.

this is a big deal.
they haven't played in about 10 years.

I'm so happy.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

One of the reasons I'm goin'.

That and to drink! :drink:

or I guess I should say 5.4.3.2.1.... Cads are Go!!!

:wink:

Well, after years wanting to go to an Oasis, I finally went one day last year.... Sunday. I wandered around the shopping area for a few hours and enjoyed the lush sounds of the Martini Kings....

I kicked myself in the ass all the way home that Sunday, regretting the fact that I never went to any of the Oases in the past.

This year I'm making up for it. I just reserved a room and bought tickets for my girlfriend, my brother and myself.

I plan on partying away those regrets and boy am I looking forward to it!

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Apr 9, 2009 12:15 PM

This is getting bigger and bigger each year.

The first time Our Fearless Leader Otto had it here in San Diego, both the hotel's management and the locals were stand-offish. They kept looking at us with quizzical smirks, like they were hoping it would fail and we'd all go home.

The hotel staff, meanwhile, "got it" right away and had the time of their lives.

Last Oasis was basically a giant 3-day blowout party, with Sunday as the public-invited day. They showed up in big crowds, blended right in and started drinking as soon as the bar opened. It got out of hand a few times, but now the Hanalei realizes exactly how fun a Tiki Party can be and they're into it!

B

True, who needs memories? That's what pictures are for! :)

M

On 2009-04-09 17:40, Blondie wrote:
True, who needs memories? That's what pictures are for! :)

Or can be used as evidence in a court of law.

TF

Room booked. This is going to be great! AGAIN!

J

On 2009-04-09 08:03, little lost tiki wrote:

Ooohhhh, and all this time I thought it was the concussion that made me forget everything!

O
Otto posted on Mon, Apr 13, 2009 11:34 PM

On 2009-04-09 12:15, Cammo wrote:
This is getting bigger and bigger each year.

The first time Our Fearless Leader Otto had it here in San Diego, both the hotel's management and the locals were stand-offish. They kept looking at us with quizzical smirks, like they were hoping it would fail and we'd all go home.

The hotel staff, meanwhile, "got it" right away and had the time of their lives.

Last Oasis was basically a giant 3-day blowout party, with Sunday as the public-invited day. They showed up in big crowds, blended right in and started drinking as soon as the bar opened. It got out of hand a few times, but now the Hanalei realizes exactly how fun a Tiki Party can be and they're into it!

And the hotel has confirmed that we are their largest group booking of the year! (even though they have not given us FULL run of the hotel)

We are Number 1!!

On 2009-04-09 08:03, little lost tiki wrote:

It's definitely going to be another memorable tiki weekender.

4 more months!

Kinny drank so much he forgot to show up last year! We booked last night (had to make it past Vegas before thinking about Oasis). See ya there...hoping a room crawl thread starts soon. I think we're in for hosting this year.

(Big News)
"classic" lineup of The Phantom Surfers at Oasis 9 is going to rock my socks off (if I'm wearing socks - who wears socks at Oasis?)

Johnny "Big Hands" Bartlett, Mel Bergman, Mike Lucas and Matt will take the stage on Saturday night!"

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-04-24 08:35 ]

CJ

Nice!

The Pineappleman is ready for Oasis 2009.. 2nd Tiki Oasis for me.....
I'm getting all geared up and ready to go... Come on August 2009 Where you at?

I've got my mug from last year

So Let's Party!

This post is brought to you by The Pineappleman
http://www.myspace.com/Pineapplemanmrdiff

and The Men of the Snuggie ......"Snuggie or die"
http://menofsnuggiethepeoplessnuggiefront.blogspot.com/

On 2009-04-18 00:21, bigtikidude wrote:
who wears socks at Oasis?

Thanks a lot Jeff..now I feel like a total dork :lol:

Just say no to socks
Where flip flops

CJ

I wish the Dirtbag Surfers were playin!

http://www.myspace.com/dirtbagsurfers

On 2009-04-23 22:01, Coco Joe wrote:

man I so need to join that band,
too bad they are in San Diego.

Jeff(bigtikidude)
dirtbag and proud.

B

On 2009-04-23 22:01, Coco Joe wrote:

if it's any consolation, "Ghouligan's Hut" will make a return appearance, so there will be dirtbag vendors:

TIKI CENTRAL HOUSE RULINGS
Do not cross-post. Posting the same message (or picture)
in more than one forum is considered spamming....

dirtbag spammers!

Mrs. Fury & I are booked. Stoked about the surf line-up. Mermen would have been nice, but i think they are in town a bit earlier. Hope the economy does not hamper things too much for the event and vendors.

R

Who HOO Indeed! I can't wait. It's my 1st one. It used to be so close to Viva it was never an option but now it's in August so I said LET"S SKIP VIVA THIS YEAR AND JUST DO THE OASIS. Blue Hawaiins, Davy Alan, The Lively Ones... HERE I COME!!!

P.S. Any tips for us T.O. virgins out there?

MT

Welcome to Tiki Central, RoseRed! You'll have a blast at Tiki Oasis! I could have sworn that there were some tips for first timers for Tiki Oasis, but I couldn't find any. So here are a few tips off the top of my head:

1.) Bring plenty of water to stay hydrated. There's a lot of imbibing going on, and between that, hanging out in the sun at the pool and vending areas, dancing at a Devilette go-go dance class, running around from here to there to catch the latest excitement, and just plain partying in general, you can get dehydrated real quick-like. I always keep an extra bottle or two of water on me. Suscreen, and aspirin (or what ever form of hangover cure you prefer) are good ideas too.

2.) Bring plenty of cash. There is an awesome amount of vending at Oasis, and if this is your first one, you might be overwhelmed with all of the fabulous merchandise that all the vendors will have available for sale. It's no exaggeration to say that you will find a tremendous amount of carvings, paintings, various other artworks, clothings, ceramics, and the list goes on... Just when you think you're all done shopping, Crazy Al or Notch or Gecko or Thor or someone else will unveil their latest tiki-oasis-only-special, and, well, it's so awesome, how can you not pass it up? :D I seriously recommend planning out how much spending cash you're going to bring, and then increasing that amount by at least 50%.

3.) Try to rest whenever you can. Once things get into full swing on Friday evening, some people are known to party all night long, especially in the room suites. Try to get some sleep and don't get totally wrecked on your first night, because you will still have a couple more days to get through. (Hey, even veterans to Oasis have violated this rule - after last year's 1934 Zombies served in Caroline and Stacey and Myke's room, followed by the rum tasting event in the NorCal room where we "tasted" over 40 rums back to back, ALL of us Norcal hosts were passed out long before the main stage show event.)

4.) Bring a big ol' bottle of antacids. Ever spend several days easily slurping up 5 or 6 or more drinks per day with a base of lime, lemon, pineapple, or grapefruit juice? The acidity can do a number on your stomach after a while! Last year I brought a jumbo costco sized bottle of antacids, which I graciously shared with everyone, and we went through half of the bottle before Oasis ended!

5.) Pace yourself. Try to catch as many seminars as you can, but don't worry about catching all of them. They are all great, but it's impossible to do everything at Oasis. Whether it's cocktail symposiums by Jeff Berry or Martin Cate, or urban archeology by Bosko or Sven, or a go-go dance class by Baby Doe and The Devillettes, or a pin-up makeup class, you will have to decide what fits your interests the best, and what fits into your time schedule.

6.) Try to hit at least part of the parties on the room crawl. Shell In The Pacific organizes the room crawl, and it's been a tradition that dates back to the Palm Spring days of Oasis at the Caliente Tropics. Make sure to bring a bottle of something for your room hosts as well, and/or cash to tip as well, because they are hosting and paying for their nice party out of their own pockets. If you're a decent mixologist, you should consider participating as one of the hosts on the room crawl. If you go this route, I'd recommend making a simple yet decent drink, or a punch, from the Grog Log or similar book.

7.) Be a volunteer! It's a fast way to meet everyone involved, whether they are throwing the event, are vendors, or are fellow participants at Oasis. I volunteered at my first Tiki Oasis in 2005, and have continued to do so every year since then. And Otto, Baby Doe, and Hukilau Brown are all super fun people to volunteer for!

8.) Lastly, don't be shy. It can be a little overwhelming and intimidating going to an event where a lot of people already know each other, and a lot of them splinter off into their own circles of friends. But everyone at Oasis has been in those exact same shoes, and overall they are a very open and friendly bunch. If you walk up to someone at one of the room parties, I'm sure they would gladly introduce themselves, and talk story. Oh, a nametag always seems to help as well, since more and more people seem to be going to Oasis every year.

9.) Oh, one more thing. Don't give Bamboo Ben anything to drink. It's like feeding the mogwai after midnight. But if you do give him something to drink, make sure it's a Bud Lite. With a roofee in it.

Hope these tips help, and see you at Tiki Oasis!

O
Otto posted on Mon, Apr 27, 2009 12:59 AM

On 2009-04-26 20:06, Mai Tai wrote:
Welcome to Tiki Central, RoseRed! You'll have a blast at Tiki Oasis! I could have sworn that there were some tips for first timers for Tiki Oasis, but I couldn't find any. So here are a few tips off the top of my head:

6.) Try to hit at least part of the parties on the room crawl. Shell In The Pacific organizes the room crawl, and it's been a tradition that dates back to the Palm Spring days of Oasis at the Caliente Tropics. Make sure to bring a bottle of something for your room hosts as well, and/or cash to tip as well, because they are hosting and paying for their nice party out of their own pockets. If you're a decent mixologist, you should consider participating as one of the hosts on the room crawl. If you go this route, I'd recommend making a simple yet decent drink, or a punch, from the Grog Log or similar book.

Mai Tai, great list of tips! Mind if I steal them and post them on the Tiki Oasis website!?!

I want to add to the above:
Bring your own mug, but be sure to include a nametag/dogtag/mugtag on it with your name and room number so when you get drunk and leave it somewhere it can find its way home. Sometimes room parties run out of cups and if so then you got no drink unless you bring our own mug. Also, we don't want to consume 5000 plastic cups over the weekend, just 5000 Mai Tais!

Tip #10 The hotel has a Lost and Found. Use it before you leave if anything is missing.

MT

Go for it, Otto!

Oh, and here's another tip I just thought of...

11.) No glass allowed in the pool area, so try to scrounge up some kind of non-breakable drinking vessel for that area.

J

Here's another tip: Remember to eat! It's just as important as staying hydrated. You need something in your stomach to soak up all that rum! Trust me on this one ... it's a painful lesson to learn the hard way.

And another: [rant] If you go to the pool area and leave your lounge chair for an hour or more without leaving someone in your party to hold it for you, don't try to kick out whoever has moved in during the hour you've been gone! Seating in the pool area is limited! Use it or lose it, and don't think just because your shoes are under it, that it's yours for the whole freakin' day! [/rant]

Preach on Jen,

there was so many times I wanted a chair or a recliner chair and there were towels or clothes on them, but nobody near them for hours on end.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I'm booked.

See you all in August!

R

Thanx guys! Mai Tai- you are SUPER Awesome!!!!
Mahalo, Mahalo, MAHALO!!!

1.) Bring plenty of water to stay hydrated. There's a lot of imbibing going on, and between that, hanging out in the sun at the pool and vending areas, dancing at a Devilette go-go dance class, running around from here to there to catch the latest excitement, and just plain partying in general, you can get dehydrated real quick-like. I always keep an extra bottle or two of water on me. Suscreen, and aspirin (or what ever form of hangover cure you prefer) are good ideas too.

2.) Bring plenty of cash. There is an awesome amount of vending at Oasis, and if this is your first one, you might be overwhelmed with all of the fabulous merchandise that all the vendors will have available for sale. It's no exaggeration to say that you will find a tremendous amount of carvings, paintings, various other artworks, clothings, ceramics, and the list goes on... Just when you think you're all done shopping, Crazy Al or Notch or Gecko or Thor or someone else will unveil their latest tiki-oasis-only-special, and, well, it's so awesome, how can you not pass it up? :D I seriously recommend planning out how much spending cash you're going to bring, and then increasing that amount by at least 50%.

3.) Try to rest whenever you can. Once things get into full swing on Friday evening, some people are known to party all night long, especially in the room suites. Try to get some sleep and don't get totally wrecked on your first night, because you will still have a couple more days to get through. (Hey, even veterans to Oasis have violated this rule - after last year's 1934 Zombies served in Caroline and Stacey and Myke's room, followed by the rum tasting event in the NorCal room where we "tasted" over 40 rums back to back, ALL of us Norcal hosts were passed out long before the main stage show event.)

4.) Bring a big ol' bottle of antacids. Ever spend several days easily slurping up 5 or 6 or more drinks per day with a base of lime, lemon, pineapple, or grapefruit juice? The acidity can do a number on your stomach after a while! Last year I brought a jumbo costco sized bottle of antacids, which I graciously shared with everyone, and we went through half of the bottle before Oasis ended!

5.) Pace yourself. Try to catch as many seminars as you can, but don't worry about catching all of them. They are all great, but it's impossible to do everything at Oasis. Whether it's cocktail symposiums by Jeff Berry or Martin Cate, or urban archeology by Bosko or Sven, or a go-go dance class by Baby Doe and The Devillettes, or a pin-up makeup class, you will have to decide what fits your interests the best, and what fits into your time schedule.

7.) Be a volunteer! It's a fast way to meet everyone involved, whether they are throwing the event, are vendors, or are fellow participants at Oasis. I volunteered at my first Tiki Oasis in 2005, and have continued to do so every year since then. And Otto, Baby Doe, and Hukilau Brown are all super fun people to volunteer for!

8.) Lastly, don't be shy. It can be a little overwhelming and intimidating going to an event where a lot of people already know each other, and a lot of them splinter off into their own circles of friends. But everyone at Oasis has been in those exact same shoes, and overall they are a very open and friendly bunch. If you walk up to someone at one of the room parties, I'm sure they would gladly introduce themselves, and talk story. Oh, a nametag always seems to help as well, since more and more people seem to be going to Oasis every year.

9.) Oh, one more thing. Don't give Bamboo Ben anything to drink. It's like feeding the mogwai after midnight. But if you do give him something to drink, make sure it's a Bud Lite. With a roofee in it.

Hope these tips help, and see you at Tiki Oasis!

R

X-cellent tips JenTiki.
Mahalo!

On 2009-04-27 14:14, JenTiki wrote:
Here's another tip: Remember to eat! It's just as important as staying hydrated. You need something in your stomach to soak up all that rum! Trust me on this one ... it's a painful lesson to learn the hard way.

And another: [rant] If you go to the pool area and leave your lounge chair for an hour or more without leaving someone in your party to hold it for you, don't try to kick out whoever has moved in during the hour you've been gone! Seating in the pool area is limited! Use it or lose it, and don't think just because your shoes are under it, that it's yours for the whole freakin' day! [/rant]

R

Hey Sabu! Haven't seen you since the last Tiki Art night at the Tonga Hut.
Hey... whatever happened to those anyway? Did they move?

On 2009-04-27 22:30, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
I'm booked.

See you all in August!

On 2009-04-28 11:04, RoseRed wrote:

Ah, Rose - you missed it! There was an art show just 2 weekends ago at the Tonga Hut. We missed you.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=31540&forum=17&start=0

I'll be sure to let you know about the next one.

Sabu

Yo Mai Tai,

I'm thinking about going totally sober this year so I can totally mess with you!

...and hopefully, I won't have an over-worked body ( unlike you my friend :) this August! ( like last August :)

Viva La Oasis!!!

Mugs are ready.

.......After Zombie Flange at Billy the Crud's Room Crawl
Balance Not so steady

Pineappleman Crushing it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mID31rm7OU

Another tip

In case of Fire Leap down the stairs

B

On 2009-04-27 19:08, bigtikidude wrote:
Preach on Jen,

there was so many times I wanted a chair or a recliner chair and there were towels or clothes on them, but nobody near them for hours on end.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

i always drop a deuce on those chair-blocking items.

R

Awww bummer. I was just there this past Saturday too. PLEASE DO! I'd sure hate to miss another one.

On 2009-04-28 21:20, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:

On 2009-04-28 11:04, RoseRed wrote:

Ah, Rose - you missed it! There was an art show just 2 weekends ago at the Tonga Hut. We missed you.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=31540&forum=17&start=0

I'll be sure to let you know about the next one.

Sabu

On 2009-04-29 17:55, BigToe wrote:

On 2009-04-27 19:08, bigtikidude wrote:
Preach on Jen,

Jeff(bigtikidude)

i always drop a deuce on those chair-blocking items.

That was you?

O
Otto posted on Fri, May 1, 2009 12:33 AM

On 2009-04-27 14:14, JenTiki wrote:

The hotel has Room Service, a handy snack/coffee bar, great sushi restaurant at the Islands Bar, and a full sit down restaurant - The Islands. They also set up a BBQ on Saturday next to the outdoor bar on the grass.

If that ain't enough food options,

The Tiki Oasis website has a pretty good list of restaurants under the Beyond the Oasis section

http://www.tikioasis.com/beyond_the_oasis/

C
Cammo posted on Fri, May 1, 2009 2:04 PM

People have been asking about Buzzy's Island.

Is anybody up for a 3-Hour Tour, before the Oasis events get rolling, (like on Friday) of Buzzy's Island?

We could canoe out to it, that's like a 5 minute trip, swim & snorkel in the warm protected saltwater lagoon, have a few of Mary Anne's Coconut Cream Pies, hunt for buried treasure, look for shells, take pictures, and be back at the hotel for fun and frolics before it gets dark. A small group of 6-7 would be great, Gilligan's Island fashions optional.

PM me if you're interested...

1.) Bring plenty of water to stay hydrated.

Emphasis on the bring. The tap water at the hotel tastes like it's one step removed from sewage. And if you stick to the "one glass of water : one drink" ratio (recommended), you'll be drinking a lot of water.

R

Stay hydrated. Eat, and pace yourself- got it. Thanx bunches! :)

On 2009-05-01 14:27, Chief Bartender at Brenda's Tiki Hut wrote:

1.) Bring plenty of water to stay hydrated.

Emphasis on the bring. The tap water at the hotel tastes like it's one step removed from sewage. And if you stick to the "one glass of water : one drink" ratio (recommended), you'll be drinking a lot of water.

R
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.