Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Central - your help is needed please x

Pages: 1 41 replies

T

Ok, I'll get straight to the point.

I work in marketing and have been made redundant due to the damn credit crunch. I've been out of work for three months and have a really important job interview next week, I need to get this job to keep up with my mortgage repayments...

For my interview I must give a ten minute marketing strategy presentation on a Tiki rum, so I'm posting here as part of my research.

The general theme that I am planning on building my presentation around is:

"The Spirit of Natural Adventure".

If you are free to help please PM me with your thoughts on how this phrase makes react; how does it make you feel, what does it make you think of, what does it inspire in you?

I will really appreciate any contribution, no matter how big or small.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, if this is an inappropriate or unwelcome post please let me know and I will delete asap.

Tiki love and best wishes,

KT xx

I get nothing from the "Spirit of Natural Adventure". Im not clear on the whole "natural" part.

How about something like the Spirit of Escape?
Or the Escape of Adventure?
Drift Away ?
Distinctive Thirst :)?

T

On 2009-06-11 13:21, Monkeyman wrote:
I get nothing from the "Spirit of Natural Adventure". Im not clear on the whole "natural" part.

How about something like the Spirit of Escape?
Or the Escape of Adventure?
Drift Away ?
Distinctive Thirst :)?

Hello Monkeyman,

Thanks for your reply - it's not my thinking, I have been given this idea to work from by my potential client, they feel this best describes their product and the people they are aiming it at....I have a massive brief that you or any other interested parties can read.

Thanks again for your response and best wishes from London x

P

I guess I am also stumbling on the word "natural". Do you mean as in, "adventures in nature"?

But rum has always been the spirit of adventure!

It was drunk by pirates as they pursued Spanish gold in the Carribbean.

It was carried by British sailors as they pursued the pirates, and as they explored the islands of the South Pacific.

It was traded for slaves in West Africa.

It was selected by Don the Beachcomber as the main ingredient in his exotic cocktails (mostly because it was cheap, but we can leave that part out).

It was carried by Thor Heyerdahl as he sailed the Kon Tiki across the Pacific (OK, I made that part up).

And much of it will be consumed this very day, by those pursuing adventure exploring the gardens of the Mai Kai at The Hukilau (where I really wish I were at right now).

So maybe rather than being "The Spirit of Natural Adventure" it is "The Natural Spirit of Adventure."

Hope that helps.

[ Edited by: PiPhiRho 2009-06-11 13:51 ]

The big problem is that there is nothing "natural" about Tiki, it is all about artifice, and make believe. That's the whole fun of it. And rum AIDES that make believe, it's not a health food product.

Be a man and stand up against their stupid concept. Either they respect you for it and take your advice -- or not! :)

Q

I'm with PiPhiRho on this one. There is a tremendous lore and history surrounding rum, some of which can be researched within this site on various threads, but their line of the "Spirit of Natural Adventure" rings a little shallow and gimmicky to me. I'm sure they're trying conjure up imagery of people barefoot on some Caribbean Isle's beach, kicking waves while sipping on some coconut concoction made with "rum".

Most people on this forum are probably borderline alcoholics (I mean that in a nice way), that know their rums and like 'em without artificial flavorings. Most of the people here are also amateur bartenders who love to experiment with rum, trying to find the ultimate magical elixir, often with freshly squeezed juices and unusual ingredients like pimento dram. Maybe that's your spin on "natural adventure".

For some reason that phrase makes me want a cigarette.

Sounds like something New Zealand/Iceland related or God like (tiki was a good right?)

The Spirit of Natural Adventure

Its all about the fun - like Sven said Rum was an AID in creating a mood, feeling or desire - desire to want more rum, tiki and fun!

Its exotic...
It takes you a way...
Its euphoric....

???

W

"The Spirit of Natural Adventure"

If I saw this tag line associated with a rum I'd assume they were marketing the rum as organic or using the confusing "natural" in the name. That aspect would have no appeal to me.

I can also see the line as an attempt to strip away many of the usual associations with rum (sweetness, pirates, fruity drinks, beach cliches). A rum for grown ups that doesn't need to be buried in pineapple juice or wear a velvet frock.

"The Spirit of Natural Adventure" could be associated with believably rugged people doing adventurous things because that's who they are, they're not trying to impress anyone.

They drink their rum on the rocks standing on a deck or cliff top, staring off into the middle distance contemplating their next horizon.

And if they're not too good looking I wouldn't just hate them out of hand.

"The spirit of natural adventure." My first reaction to that phrase is that it makes me think of children, probably because children are natural adventurer's and need no props or invitation. I doubt that is what they are after with a rum campaign, so I'm sure that is not helpful.

However, on that same thought, I guess "natural adventure" would be any adventure on a whim, not preplanned or regimented by a schedule, which may be what they are after with that slogan.

I agree with the others about the slogan sounding a bit awkward for rum, but perhaps that is because we are across the pond and it conjures up different thoughts for us non-Brits? At any rate, the best of luck to you!

W

Oh yeah, I also usually get at least 25 bucks when doing consumer opinion focus groups. So keep that in mind when our collective rum drenched insight lands you in that cushy windowless basement office. Don't forget who helped get you there.

My interpretation is that its a play on words using spirit as in libation. So the "The Spirit of Natural Adventure" is like saying this is the drink that gets you into adventures which could end up having multiple scenarios, some being the adventures that makes you decide to drive to Vegas at 3:30 in the morning and then say to your self what the hell was i thinking as you pass Primm. Adventures while drinking conjures up the morning after in the movie Hungover. Rum is more like a living breathing being which has the ability to posses you and give you visions only a shaman can. The demographic i think of when i hear that description is a sweater around the shoulders with the collar on the polo shirt popped. I have always been a fan of the brand Voodoo Rum (no plug or affiliation) as far as marketing. If your trying to target the tiki culture i would recommend something a little more rough around the edges and not something for lack of a better word sanitary.

Maybe something like:

"The spirit that natives choose for a primitive escape"

[ Edited by: Mongoloid 2009-06-11 18:04 ]

A marketing strategy presentation around the phrase "The Spirit of Natural Adventure".

Spirit means rum.
Natural means native.
Adventure means excitement.

Promotion Strategies:

1. Television ads on the adventure channel, like the Michael Bourdain, No Reservations show.
  2. Buy (lease)an island and have people win trips to party there.
  3. Sponsor one of the wacky, semi-illegal around the world races.
  4. Print ads in National Geographic Adventure Magazine, also Outdoor and Backpacker, and wired.
  5. Outdoor ads located by airports.
  6. Rollout kits for really hip bars sent in a steamer-like trunk with travel stickers and at least one spear stuck in it and containing product information, shrunken heads, sand, tiki figures, custom tiki mugs made by tikifarm, designed by Bosko. And an opportunity for great bartenders to go to the island. (#2 above)

Positioning: For young, truly in-the-know people, ____ is the rum that creates an adventure and escape from the routine and launches the party.

B

For some reason the tag line makes me think of the alcoholic rugged writer guy (can't remember his name!!!) - you know, on a fishing boat or in the Carribean in a hammock, rolled up Chinos and bare feet. Okay, now throw in a bottle of rum (not a glass - this guy seemed like the 'straight from the bottle' type!)

I also am reminded of that weird commercial with that "international man of mystery" guy! Don't know if you've had the chance to see THAT one - really a throwback ad to the 60's/70's.

W

Ernest Hemingway I think is the writer.

W

"2. Buy (lease)an island and have people win trips to party there."

But first: Send a group of craftspeople and artisans to the island to turn it into the a destination that sums up the Spirit of Natural Adventure.

These people should know how to work with bamboo and exotic materials, know how to create adventurous imagery.

I'm not sure where you'd find such a group but after they'd created the physical embodiment of The Spirit of Natural Adventure you should bring in more people who enjoy rum and know a good hut when they see one. Just to test dive the place.

There's probably somewhere on the Internet where such people gather in abundance. Google it.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jun 11, 2009 9:46 PM

On 2009-06-11 13:04, Tiki_KT wrote:
For my interview I must give a ten minute marketing strategy presentation on a Tiki rum, so I'm posting here as part of my research.

The general theme that I am planning on building my presentation around is:

"The Spirit of Natural Adventure".

If you are free to help please PM me with your thoughts on how this phrase makes react; how does it make you feel, what does it make you think of, what does it inspire in you?

For me, the central theme or core to TIKI culture is escapism. Now this can anything from dreaming you're a swashbuckling rum drinking pirate a la Jack Sparrow, to wishing you were on holidays trekking through a tropical jungle up to a volcano summit, through to having a great night out with your mates in a city tiki bar. Whilst vastly different in many ways, the common theme to any of these approaches is "When you drink our rum, this is the kind of experience you will have, and its awesome!”

Now keeping in mind the above, and looking at “The Spirit of Natural Adventure” phrase, what do I think? Spirit is an awesome word. Not only does it evoke rum, it also conjures words like soul and atmosphere – a great play with the word. “Natural adventure” to me conjures up all the kinds of things I read about in outdoors magazines – sea kayaking, sailing, mt biking, hiking, climbing, abseiling (like Woofmutt said).

Now combine my two interpretations together, and what you get is adventure travel activities in exotic south pacific locations. For me I like it to be semi-attainable for ‘Joe Average’, that way I can realistically put myself in the picture – “Yeh, I could do that, that would be awesome. Then I can sit around the fire with my mates that night drinking rum reliving the day and planning tomorrows adventure. Bugger it, why don’t I invite the boys around for a drink tomorrow night and we can talk shit and dream? I could do with a good night off”

Im also a very strong visual person, so I want high quality pictures that grab my attention with both hands! But also make sure you have a picture of the rum bottle, so there is a visual tie in with the product, which builds familiarity and brand awareness. The studies I have seen (I work in community education, which isn’t far removed from marketing at times) suggest that people need to see a brand/logo 3 times before it properly clicks. The better you can make that connection between the ad and the product the better.

This is the kind of imagery I would be looking to use.

Hewey's Rum - The Spirit of Adventure

Funnily enough, most of these images are from tourism websites or peoples personal pictures – got to love google image search!

T

Hello,

A huge thank you to all of you for your thoughts, it is very much appreciated and has definitely given me some interesting things to think about.

Much Tiki love from London,

KT x

B

THANK you! I can't believe I forgot his name!

On 2009-06-11 19:01, Wayfarer wrote:
Ernest Hemingway I think is the writer.

Considering your lack of posts, unless you've been lurking forever, I'll presume that you are relatively new to Tiki Central.

Pick up a copy of a book of tiki titled, "Book of Tiki," by Sven Kirsten.

When you show up at your presentation tell them that one of the world's foremost authorities on tiki (point at the book, holding it up high so everyone can see it) has personally indicated to you that the marketing phrase, "The Spirit of Natural Adventure," does not represent tiki.

Then quote the following:

On 2009-06-11 14:05, bigbrotiki wrote:
The big problem is that there is nothing "natural" about Tiki, it is all about artifice, and make believe. That's the whole fun of it. And rum AIDES that make believe, it's not a health food product.

That might not be what they hope to hear, but they should want to hear the truth about something that could come back and bite them in the ass if they invest a lot of money on a misconception.

At that point you should be armed with alternative approaches that DO represent tiki (if they really care about tiki) or that represent "the spirit of natural adventure" (if that's what really blows up their grass skirts).

You have several suggestions here from people who:
a. understand tiki
b. know adventure (natural and otherwise), and
c. have an adequate familiarity with rum.

You should be all set.

I'm guessing that KT is for Katie, so when Sven tells you to be a man, I don't think he means you should grow a beard before you go in for your presentation. 8)

Aloha

C

Regarding the "natural" aspect, could this somehow be related to Martinique agricole rum? I would guess that would be the closest rum gets to a "natural" product.

On 2009-06-12 10:20, The Gnomon wrote:
Considering your lack of posts, unless you've been lurking forever, I'll presume that you are relatively new to Tiki Central.

Pick up a copy of a book of tiki titled, "Book of Tiki," by Sven Kirsten.

When you show up at your presentation tell them that one of the world's foremost authorities on tiki (point at the book, holding it up high so everyone can see it) has personally indicated to you that the marketing phrase, "The Spirit of Natural Adventure," does not represent tiki.

Then quote the following:

On 2009-06-11 14:05, bigbrotiki wrote:

That might not be what they hope to hear, but they should want to hear the truth about something that could come back and bite them in the ass if they invest a lot of money on a misconception.

At that point you should be armed with alternative approaches that DO represent tiki (if they really care about tiki) or that represent "the spirit of natural adventure" (if that's what really blows up their grass skirts).

You have several suggestions here from people who:
a. understand tiki
b. know adventure (natural and otherwise), and
c. have an adequate familiarity with rum.

You should be all set.

I'm guessing that KT is for Katie, so when Sven tells you to be a man, I don't think he means you should grow a beard before you go in for your presentation. 8)

Aloha

The original poster may have moved on with her life;) but why should that stop us from discussion? Anyway, we've got to assume the "client" wants to sell rum, not tiki. Accuracy to tiki and tiki modern is not the point. For purposes of a rum brand, tiki, in the mind of most, just means mysterious,primitive, and uninhibited. Don't you think?

S

that whole spirit of adventure thing, just makes me think of

Crocodile Dundee...

I'll pass on that rum, probably would taste like gator pee pee

W

"I'll pass on that rum, probably would taste like gator pee pee..."

And how would she know this? Oh, you haven't heard Miss Pea's spring break "Florida Punch" story? Ask her when she's drunk. That should be right about...Now.

This is thoroughly obnoxious and wrong on so many levels. First of all, I am a senior marketing communications professional and for a potential employer to make you jump through these hoops is totally unethical. I have been unemployed for a while now, and it really steams me when I am pumped for information and advice during job interviews (most recently in two interviews with the same employer where between the first and the second they actually started implementing some of my suggestions), and then they don't hire you. Basically, what you have done is provide them with professional consulting services for free.

However, this situation is the worst rip-off I've heard of -- requiring you to come up with a sample presentation is completely out of bounds. My brother owns one the top commercial art firms in the world and when employees of one company attempted to hold a competition among design firms for a new logo, he had to sit the company president down and explain to him why this was unethical (even in the architectural commission competitions you hear about, the competitors are pre-selected and paid for their work).

Which raises another suspicion, perhaps unfair. Given the paucity of personal information provided by Tiki_KT, and the fact that he or she just joined Tiki Central the same day they posted this topic, I have to wonder if this is someone who wants Tiki Central members to do their work for them, or who already has the job and is doing market research on the cheap.

T

Hello all,

Please let me reassure you that my request is completely above board.

The brief that I have been given by my potential employer is a live brief they are working on which is due to launch this summer, so any work and planning will be very much under way. They have just shared it with me to see how I would approach it, how I think, what my ideas are and of course it will give them an idea of my presenting style.

It's a great job and there will no doubt be some stiff competition, I was just posting on here to do a bit of extra research in order to give my final ideas some authenticity and to hopefully show in the interview that I have thought about my ideas and have some degree of initiative.

Thank you very much for all of your thoughts and feedback, once again I cannot underline enough that this is a genuine and sincere request.

Thanks,

Katie x

T

"If you are free to help please PM me with your thoughts on how this phrase makes react; how does it make you feel, what does it make you think of, what does it inspire in you"?

The first thing I think of is Bacardi when I hear that phrase.
Around here that's bad.
But for them it may be good as Bacardi sells alot of rum.

Maybe what they want is for you to say,
"Guys you got to be kidding"
Now here's what I came up with to sell your rum.

Although the ads they do these days, maybe stupid sells?
Good luck!!
Let us know how it goes.

W

People turn to Tiki Central to get free advice for commercial reasons all the time. Sometimes it's members, sometimes it's complete strangers.

Occasionally people more or less "use" us (the junk dealers who have found some Tiki artifacts they know nothing about and pretend to be fans in order to figure out what they're worth).

But more often than not people turn to us for information and opinions in a fair and polite manner.(When Robertiki was creating his cool Portland Tiki barThatch he regularly turned to Tiki Central for input and opinions.)

The world comes to Tiki Central cuz they know "from the eastest to the westest we're the badest we're the bestest."

On 2009-06-13 06:06, Tiki_KT wrote:
Hello all,

The brief that I have been given by my potential employer is a live brief they are working on which is due to launch this summer, so any work and planning will be very much under way. They have just shared it with me to see how I would approach it, how I think, what my ideas are and of course it will give them an idea of my presenting style.

It's a great job and there will no doubt be some stiff competition, I was just posting on here to do a bit of extra research in order to give my final ideas some authenticity and to hopefully show in the interview that I have thought about my ideas and have some degree of initiative.

Thank you very much for all of your thoughts and feedback, once again I cannot underline enough that this is a genuine and sincere request.

Thanks,

Katie x

If I was wrong in the suspicion I voiced at the end of my reply, I apologize. I hope you do a bang-up presentation and get the job, Katie. However, I am still unhappy that the potential employer is doing this to you. Even if the marketing campaign is in its beginning stages, they can still make use of the information you generate without giving you the job or proper compensation.

As for Woofmutt's comment, I am aware that people come here all the time looking for commercial assistance. But I think there is a big difference between someone asking for help when building a bar or trying to sell something and being aboveboard about what they are doing, and using deception to get other folks to do their work for them. But if other folks on Tiki Central don't mind, I guess I am being overly sensitive about this and should just shut up

T

On 2009-06-13 07:07, Dr. Zarkov wrote:

On 2009-06-13 06:06, Tiki_KT wrote:
Hello all,

Thanks,

Katie x

If I was wrong in the suspicion I voiced at the end of my reply, I apologize. I hope you do a bang-up presentation and get the job, Katie. However, I am still unhappy that the potential employer is doing this to you. Even if the marketing campaign is in its beginning stages, they can still make use of the information you generate without giving you the job or proper compensation.

As for Woofmutt's comment, I am aware that people come here all the time looking for commercial assistance. But I think there is a big difference between someone asking for help when building a bar or trying to sell something and being aboveboard about what they are doing, and using deception to get other folks to do their work for them. But if other folks on Tiki Central don't mind, I guess I am being overly sensitive about this and should just shut up

Hey no worries and thank you very much for your best wishes, all these positive vibes add up so hopefully that plus a kick ass presentation will get me the role.

The presentation is on Wednesday, I will be sure to come back and let you all know how I get on.

Thanks again to all of you out there on Tiki Central. x

Katie x

Dr. Zarkov, you raise some good points. In my position at my company, I hire and work with ad agencies. The last time I put the account up for review, I gave each prospective agency the same assignment to see how they would approach it, BUT: I paid each of them for the work. Not a whole lot, but they knew going in that they could do as little or as much work as they wanted and they would be paid X. It was also made clear, that my company would then own the ideas.

Do I pass the ethics standard? Marginally?

I'll tell you this, it was a great way to find out what working with each agency would be like. And the one I chose is doing great work for us and we've formed a close working relationship. In Katie's case she is one person, not a whole agency, so maybe it's different. But if she was told she would be paid something for her work, I think it would have been a good gesture.

Bongo Bungalow,

Yes, I think you pass the ethics standard splendidly. What you did is similar to what's commonly done with architectural competitions for big projects: The architects normally get 10% of the total cost of the building, so for a big public project that costs $100 million the winner would receive a $10 million commission, so they don't mind receiving a smaller fee to create an entry for the competition. This sounds very much like what you did with the advertising firms.

T

So how did it go?

T

The presentation went really well, thank you all so much for your help and advice.

Can you believe I am still yet to hear? According to my recruitment agent I am the favourite (I'm sure they say that to everyone) but the company has been working on an urget pitch and have not had the time to sit and make a decision. It's been two weeks!

That said I had a second interview with another agency on Tuesday for a job that pays more money with more responsibility, so fingers crossed!

Best wishes,

KT xx

TG

You know, of course, that you will have to tell us how everything turns out and must supply tons of pictures.

RH

Maybe just, "The Spirit of Adventure." Unless the rum pushes that it is made of all-natural ingredients.

Best luck on your interview.

T

This one's a cliff hanger... I'm nervous for her, like I'm waiting to hear if I got the job. Any word yet?

T

Aah Tikitony, it's so nice to know that people care!

I am still waiting....argh! Although I have just got back from yet another interview so I'm hoping something will stick sooner or later. I will be sure to keep my Tiki friends posted and when I am finally successful we can all raise a glass and have a toast to jobs, friends, fun and getting through this damn recession with smiles on our faces.

Lots of love and best wishes from London,

Kt xx

T

Hi guys,

For those of you that are interested I thought I would give you a little update.

Well, I delivered a killer presentation. Then went back for a second interview. Then I was called back for a third (and final) interview with the MD of the company to check that he was happy with hiring me. So all good.

Then they went and gave the job to a friend of a friend of the MD who had zero relevant experience.

Can you BELIEVE that?!

I am both disappointed and hopping mad.

But hey, onwards and upwards, right?

Love and best wishes to you all, please, if you are so inclined, can I urge you all to send some positive vibes my way - this is week nine without a job and I am starting to get a little scared.

Katie xxx

Bastards!
Their loss.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jul 30, 2009 8:32 PM

If thats the way they do things, its probably best you dont work there! It sucks, but maybe its for the best?

Pages: 1 41 replies