Tiki Oasis 10 official thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 319 replies

THRILLVILLE MOVIE NITE AT TIKI OASIS
Saturday, August 21, 10PM

Two short films:

MARTINI KINGS: THE BUDDY GRECO SESSIONS
(10:33 minutes run time)
Director - Joshua Dragotta
Take a peek inside the los angeles recording studio as brothers frank and tony marsico of the Martini Kings team up with lounge legend Buddy Greco for the recording of the Kings 13th album, sure to be a lounge classic!

PLUS!

SEPY DOBRONYI presents:
RAPA NUI
(Easter Island)
EXPEDITION

In 1968, Baron Joseph “Sepy” Dobronyi joined the New York Explorers Club for a trip to one of the world’s most remote islands, Rapa Nui (Easter Island.) He brought with him his 16mm camera to capture the mysterious stone monuments that litter the barren, volcanic landscape. Part documentary, and part travelogue, this films covers the entire island’s topography.

Dobronyi’s interview with Father Sebastian, the Franciscan Monk who lived on and studied the culture of Rapa Nui from 1935 until his death in 1969, gives keen insight into the life and demise of the amazing culture that chiseled, moved and erected 10 ton statues from volcanic rock. Father Sebastian catalogued the 700 statues on the island and is credited as having provided the technical details for this film.

Dobronyi narrates the expedition and the background soundtrack is wonderful field recordings of native music, and features performances of traditional dance.

Color, 32 minutes.
Digital transfer from the original 16mm print.

PLUS!
"A TRIBUTE TO TIKI TV"
Be there. Aloha.

Hi Everybody - Tiki Oasis is just about here and we are looking for anyone that can play a horn - trumpet, trombone, tuba or flute that can help us out with a number for about 10-15 minutes on Friday. If you can, and you are interested in having a blast and being part of a history making moment please get hold of me through this thread.

Thanks,

Jim Giddings
Stage Manager - Tiki Oasis

On 2010-08-09 20:24, Tiki from the Black Lagoon wrote:
Hi Everybody - Tiki Oasis is just about here and we are looking for anyone that can play a horn - trumpet, trombone, tuba or flute that can help us out with a number for about 10-15 minutes on Friday. If you can, and you are interested in having a blast and being part of a history making moment please get hold of me through this thread.

Thanks,

Jim Giddings
Stage Manager - Tiki Oasis

Jim,
I know a few gals that do a good job at blowing a skin flute. Probably no help at all.

Mr Smiley, I had no idea you were going to be at TO! Ok, now I'm excited. :D

K

Anybody coming to Tiki Oasis from the NYC area be sure to stop by the Painkiller Tiki Bar Monday 8/16 for our Tiki Oasis Send-Off Night!

TK

A sneak peek at some of the new Tiki Necklaces I'll have at Oasis! Lots of one-off colors!
These babies are over 3" tall and 1 1/2" wide!

See you all there!
Tiki King

http://www.tikiking.com Neat Tiki and Ukulele Stuff

[ Edited by: Tiki King 2010-08-10 14:47 ]

We hope to see some of you at our symposium Friday morning at 10:00!

"Beautiful Girls That Live Like Fish: The Story of Aquarama"

We've been working with the family that created Aquarama and have unearthed original video, audio and photographs that haven't been seen in over 40 years! We've also got other surprises in store including our special guest Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid who will answer all of your mermaid questions.

More details on our Facebook page here:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vintage-Roadside/74721179288

See you soon!

Jeff & Kelly

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Aug 10, 2010 2:29 PM

I'm the Symposium Mangler again this year, and I usually make up a list of the entire Tiki Oasis in chronological order. This helps me in missing everything important and ducking out of sight, hiding at the bottom of the pool when there's work to do.

BUT HERE'S THE DEAL - Most of the drinking symposiums are now marked "Sold Out".

DO NOT WORRY. People sign up but are too blotto to actually show up. We've had as many as 10-20 extra seats for every seminar, no matter how popular. So I'll have an extra line, the "Will Call" line of first come, first served people who want to get in but didn't get tickets in time.

Last year we got everybody in who wanted in. Just show up with the correct amount of cash for the ticket and we'll seat you last, there were even 2 empty front row seats last year for Martin's seminars, for instance. But I ain't promising anything.

And here's the giant master list of every event in order, you can copy and print, whatever. Tell me if I've made any mistakes with the dates. Aloha kids, and see ya there.

THURSDAY August 19th

Meet & Greet Party 6:30pm-1am Thursday August 19th
Registration Table 7-11:00pm
Free
Inside hosted by Luxuria Music featuring Switched on Audrey, Howie Pyro and Strike
Outdoors Performances:
King Kukulele
Sultry Savage Burlesque
Tikiyaki Orchestra with special guest Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid

FRIDAY August 20th

Beautiful Girls That Live Like Fish! 10-11:00am
Grand Hanalei Ballroom
$5.00

Keep A Breast Tiki Oasis Art Show
Open 11:00am - 4:00pm Every Day

Yoga A Go Go 11:00am-12:00pm
Grassy area by the pool
Free

Bathing Beauties Fashion Show 12:30-1:00pm
Poolside
Free

Tiki Go Go - Tropical Luau Buffet Table 1:00-2:00pm
Grand Hanalei Ballroom
$5.00

Tikimentary - In Search of the Lost Paradise 2:00-3:30pm
Grand Pacific
$10.00

Martin Cate - Rum & Chocolate 3:30-5:00pm
Grand Hanalei Ballroom
$25.00

Sip N’ Shop 4-6:00pm
Poolside Vending
Free!

Friday Night Music
5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday August 20th
Main Stage, Crowne Plaza
Wristband Required
Emcee - King Kukulele
Opening Ceremony
Lushy
Project Pimento
Retro Tiki Fashion Show
The Maikai Gents
Lady Borgia
Violetta Beretta
Tana the Tattooed Lady
Martini Kings
Kim Tsoy and the New Sauce

Swing Out Dance Party with the Hula Girls
Free Swing Lessons - 9:30PM
Party 10:00pm - 1:00am, Saturday August 21st
Grand Hanalei Ballroom
Wristband Required

Saturday August 21st

Tiki Oasis 2nd Annual Car Show 9:00-4:00pm
Chum will play sets: 10am, 1pm and 3pm
Bungalows
Free!

Tiki Tot Playroom 10:00am - 4:00Ppm, Saturday August 21st
Paradise Room
Free

Derek Yaniger & Others Book/Shirt Signings 10:00-11:00am
Grand Hanalei Ballroom
Free

Charles Phoenix Retro Slide Show 11:00am-12:00pm
Grand Hanalei Ballroom
$18.00

Aloha Cuisine 12:00-1:30pm
Grand Hanalei Ballroom
$25.00

Cocktail Garnish Class 12:00-1:30pm
Grand Pacific Room
$25.00 - Not included with Deluxe VIP Pass

Keep A Breast Artist Reception
Open 1 – 2:30pm
Lahaina Room
Free

Pin-Up Hair and Make-Up Tricks and Tips 2:30-4:00pm
Grand Pacific Room
$15.00

Martin Cate The Persuasive Power of Punch 3:30-5:00pm
Grand Hanalei Ballroom
$35.00

San Diego's Dr. Sketchy's Anti-Art School 3:00-6:00pm
Peacock II
$10.00

Saturday Night Music 5:30pm - 10:00 PM
Main Stage, Crowne Plaza Wristband Required
Performers in order of appearance
Emcee - Charles Phoenix
The Hula Girls
Clouseaux
Tiki Oasis Anniversary Costume Contest
Thee Swank Bastards
Meghan Mayhem
Tiki Oasis Extravaganza featuring King Kukulele
Ava Garters
The Lampshades
Mimi Le Meaux
Johnny Aloha
Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid
Ape

Late Night Movie with Thrillville 10:00pm - 1:00am
Grand Pacific
Wristband Required

Sunday, August 22nd

Tiki Tour with King Kukulele 9:30 - 10:30am
Poolside
Free

Tiki Farms Tiki Tot 10 year anniversary Party 10:30am-1:00pm
Paradise
Free

Uke Jam
1:30PM - 2:00PM, Sunday August 22nd
Atrium
Free

[ Edited by: Cammo 2010-08-10 15:52 ]

TK

Don't Forget! There are Trophies at Oasis for....

The Best Party Room
Coolest Vendor Booth
Most Swanky Dressed ( This one is for the best Formal get up.)
Best Tiki Style outfit
and the Kool and Krazy Kid award

So, go all out People!

I believe The Hula Girls are playing the swing dance party on FRIDAY night and not Saturday night.

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Aug 10, 2010 3:56 PM

Correct - After hours entertainment on Friday is the Hula Girls Swing Party, Saturday it's the Thrillville Movie Night, probably because NOBODY is gonna be able to walk, let alone dance, after 10:00 Saturday!

We also partner with the Comfort Inn which is just past the Hungry Hunter steakhouse (highly recommended for old school eating). This is on the same side as Crowne Plaza and would be less than a ten minute walk to Crowne Plaza.

On Google Maps, it looks like the Comfort Inn is on the opposite side of the freeway from the Crowne Plaza...am I missing something?

Thanks!

[ Edited by: TikiPanda 2010-08-10 20:33 ]

GT

Some fun ceramic art for Oasis 10, We don't want to take much space on the Oasis thread, So check out our thread here from time to time, As we will be posting pictures of some of the stuff we are selling --------> http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=24254&forum=18&start=480&503 Look at pages #33 - 34

Cheers! Gogo and Dani ( Go Tiki )

due to the tickets selling out, and just finances in general, I just gave up my room at the Kings Inn, if anyone needs a room with 2 beds, I just called like 10 min. ago, and you can probably steal it! It was about 220 dollars for the weekend, 20th-22nd!

For all those who did not get a Munktiki Tiki Oasis 10 event mug don't fret!
There will be plenty available for sale on Friday night Aug 20th. Buy as many as you want. If you cant make it to the event get your friends to pick you up a mug/chalice. There will be absolutely NO mail order though. Its only available at the event!

On 2010-08-11 11:12, stuckieshaft wrote:
There will be plenty available for sale on Friday night Aug 20th. Buy as many as you want. If you cant make it to the event get your friends to pick you up a mug/chalice. There will be absolutely NO mail order though. Its only available at the event!

I know its limited edition. How many were made?

C

On 2010-08-10 14:29, Cammo wrote:
BUT HERE'S THE DEAL - Most of the drinking symposiums are now marked "Sold Out".

DO NOT WORRY. People sign up but are too blotto to actually show up.

Here's a question to ponder--if you're too blotto to show up for a drinking symposium, the chances are when you wake up the next morning you'll probably assume you indeed did attend the symposium anyway (or a facsimile thereof).

On 2010-08-11 14:26, Mongoloid wrote:

I know its limited edition. How many were made?

V

Whoo! I'll be in line Friday night!

Baby Doe, could you please post a vendor map?

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Aug 11, 2010 5:12 PM

"Here's a question to ponder--if you're too blotto to show up for a drinking symposium, the chances are when you wake up the next morning you'll probably assume you indeed did attend the symposium anyway (or a facsimile thereof)."

Or - you could just get blotto at a cheap fleabag hotel local to you and pretend you went to the entire Oasis and had a great time.

But believe me, it ain't the same. This is gonna be a BIG %#@*&%! Oasis.

J

Just cancelled a Thursday 8/19 thru Monday 8/23 reservation at Comfort Inn across the street (hwy) from Crowne Plaza. We're staying at the Plaza.

Comfort Inn & Suites Hotel Circle SeaWorld Area 2201 Hotel Circle South, San Diego, CA
Phone: (619) 881-6800

What are the themes for Friday and Saturday? I'm picking out my outfits!

On 2010-08-12 15:59, burleyque wrote:
What are the themes for Friday and Saturday? I'm picking out my outfits!

I would think that Friday = Tiki outfit and Saturday = Tiki outfit; if there are such things, but in general, there's not....so, I would guess that it means that anything applies. Therefore, that would mean, Fri. and Sat., are a Tiki-based themes, and that it is that, and you wear accordingly, Tiki accoutrements, carry an empty container, and also, you party and tour around and drink. I think that about covers it for Fri. and Sat. Dig?

B

In terms of dress... really anything works at Tiki Oasis!

ON Saturday night we are encouraging folks to dress up - we will have our annual costume contest and we have awards for: Most Swanky Dressed and Best Tiki Style outfit... so if you want to go all out that can be an option for you!!

Hope that helps!
XO Baby DOe

B

Aloha! Here's a sneak peek at some of the items I'll be selling in Artist's Alley:

These are all one of a kind mugs, so if ya see one you like ya better
grab it before it's gone!

Shaken, Not Stirred mug. Limited edition of 25. Only got a few left!

Pendants and earrings!

Go here http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=37290&forum=21&10 to my gallery thread for more.

See ya at the big bash!

Bowie

Psst... hey kid, wanna TIki Oasis ticket? for free....?

You don't need to sell your soul or be sacrificed to a Tiki God in some crazy ritual, just...

Volunteer at Tiki Oasis!

Every year about this time the tropical winds blow some of our volunteers off course and there are cancellations, changes and sometimes new volunteer opportunities just appear out of nowhere!

The Volunteer Hut just has new shifts available and volunteers get a free weekend pass!

TIKI OASIS! Where else can you work a few hours a day, meet everyone at the party and drink on the job! For those that remember last year, YOU NO DRINK E'NUF MAI TAI, BRAH! I think we all had fun.

Every year volunteers tell me they had even a better time volunteering because of all the cool people you meet. First come first served!

Volunteer for Tiki Oasis ONE SHIFT and get in for FREE ($50 value). All volunteers receive free admission to the Tiki Oasis event as well as a thank you gift from Tiki Oasis. Total volunteer time on average is about 5 hours.

Here's what to do:
(hey, it might seem like there's a bunch of flaming hoops to jump through, but it's worth it. With over 80 volunteers this year, we gotta make da computah' do most of the work so we can drink mo da mai tai)

here's what to do:

1. join our facebook group. that's how we communicate with all the volunteers.
    http://bit.ly/TOVolunteers

2. go see the positions available on our Volunteer Schedule
    http://bit.ly/TO10VolunteerSchedule
    (look for the tab at the bottom "AVAILABLE SHIFTS"

3. take the Volunteer survey, so we can have all your info handy:
    http://bit.ly/TikiOasisVolunteerSurvey

4. And because we're down to the last week, message HukilauBrown at facebook
    facebook.com/hukilau.brown
    or
    Email: [email protected]
    and let him know you've completed the steps and you want to volunteer!

Mahalo and see you at the Oasis!

O
Otto posted on Sun, Aug 15, 2010 11:58 AM

Did you guys see Thor's banners?
they are pretty cool

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=37493&forum=17&hilite=thor

Coming soon to a Tiki Oasis near you: Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid.
(Note-If you want to be surprised, don't click)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rG-yzH6_Bw

Limited edition, had pulled, screen printed posters, featuring cover model, Miss Dinah DeRosa, for Tiki Oasis 10!

Two color; cyan and metallic silver on black card stock. $20 at Oasis, or purchase them on http://www.thehulagirlsband.com after Oasis!

You have to see them in person, the silver really jumps! Get one at The Hula Girls merch table on Friday night, in the Grand Ballroom, for the swing dance party at 10:00, or on Saturday after we play the main stage at 5:30!

Help. I can't find my ticket. What can I do?

Never mind. If you do lose your ticket the fine people at Tiki Oasis will get back to you and all you need is your ID to get in. Whew!! Let the party begin! :wink:

[ Edited by: Kontiki Kym 2010-08-16 14:03 ]

C

Volunteering is the way to go. Listen to Hukilau - he is wise and just.

It isn't really that hard or time-consuming and we really need more people this year. You get swag, free entry, I've been a volunteer every year and have had adventures beyond your imagination...

try it, you'll love it!

Almost time for Tiki Oasis. Thee Swank Bastards will be Playing the Main Stage on Saturday at 7pm. Thee Swank Bastards will also be playing Frankie's Room room party on Friday night after the main Stage goes dark and we will be playing the room Saturday afternoon 3 to 4pm. We are also talking about having a jam session Saturday after the main stage goes dark. Email shaun.w.coleman@gmail if you are interested in playing/jamming some traditional surf tunes with Thee Swank Bastards and other random people.

TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA JUNGLE JETSETTER DIGITAL USB COMPANION !!!

Finally, available at Tiki Oasis, the Jungle Jetsetter Digital USB companion designed by KIRBY, is a reusable USB Flash drive loaded with both the "StereoExotique" AND "Swingin' Sounds for the Jungle Jetset" albums, unreleased song demos, videos, iphone and computer wallpapers and more !

Load the files into your computer and then use the 2gig flash drive for storing and transporting your files, Tikiyaki Style !

Comes with a desk stand for displaying on your desk or wear it around your neck as a cool tiki pendant when jetsetting....never be without your important files !

Avaialble in limited quantity at The Tikiyaki Orchestra vending booth at Tiki Oasis

Special Tiki Oasis price - $50

THAT is awesome! Tikiyaki rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

too cool Jim.

wait and see how many people jump on the band wagon and steal this idea.
:o

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-08-16 12:26 ]

O
Otto posted on Mon, Aug 16, 2010 12:35 PM

On 2010-08-16 12:26, bigtikidude wrote:
too cool Jim.

wait and see how many people jump on the band wagon and steal this idea.
:o

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-08-16 12:26 ]

Exactly!

Standing on the shoulders of giants!

speaking of standing on the shoulders of Giants Lucas.
when is your new band gonna play at Oasis?
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=37452&forum=13&9

:o :wink:

Jeff(btd)

:wink:

re: Movie Night at Tiki Oasis
Sepy Dobronyi presents: RAPA NUI (easter Island) Expedition 1968
(Check the schedule for exact times)

Sepy Dobronyi on Rapa Nui 1968

In 1968, Baron Joseph “Sepy” Dobronyi joined the New York Explorers Club for a trip to one of the world’s most remote islands, Rapa Nui (Easter Island.) He brought with him his 16mm camera to capture the mysterious stone monuments that litter the barren, volcanic landscape. Part documentary, and part travelogue, this films covers the entire island’s topography.

Dobronyi’s interview with Father Sebastian, the Franciscan Monk who lived on and studied the culture of Rapa Nui from 1935 until his death in 1969, gives keen insight into the life and demise of the amazing culture that chiseled, moved and erected 10 ton statues from volcanic rock. Father Sebastian catalogued the 700 statues on the island and is credited as having provided the technical details for this film.

Dobronyi narrates the expedition and the background soundtrack is wonderful field recordings of native music, and features performances of traditional dance.

DVDs will be available for $15

V

Just a quick note - I've put together a preview gallery of what I'm bringing to Oasis. I'll be adding more photos later this week. Please take a peek:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=37537&forum=12&0

Mahalo, and I can't wait to see you all - THIS FRIDAY! gasp
Henrik "VanTiki"

V

Argh! Double post. Well - this gives me a chance to say how much I LOVE that Tikiyaki flash drive. Brilliant!

[ Edited by: VanTiki 2010-08-16 13:48 ]

Arrived at the Crown Plaza today. Got a great room location. We are hosting a Room Crawl/Welcome Wagon Thursday, 4 p.m, rm.1729. Serving "Ginger's Island" this year. Look for the Purple Orchid Tiki Lounge banner.

Hey Everyone!

As some of you know, I can't make the even this year, but I am sending my best Aloha wishes along with a few velvet paintings! My work will be available in the vendor's market courtesy of Hodadhank at the Freaky Boutiki booth. :) I wish you all the best Oasis yet and wish I could be there!

If you want to see pictures, I'm doing a mini-preview of my pieces this week on my "Other Crafts" thread here: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=26675&forum=18&start=120&125

Have a great time!
--Heather

The Vintage Roadside wagon is loaded up for Tiki Oasis! If you spot us along the way (we're the ones that look like modern-day Joad's from The Grapes of Wrath) give us a wave! Just a short 1100 mile drive and we'll be there.

We hope to see some of you at our Aquarama symposium - also stop by our booth and say hello.

Oh, and we hope you enjoy the bit of history we've tucked into the gift bags. You'll be among the first in 40+ years to see it!

I purchased two tickets to the Pinup Makeup and Hair class because I missed out last year. Now I hear this is included in the VIP pass, which I purchased. Anyone interested in buying them from me? Or, is there any way to get a refund?

T

On 2010-08-17 08:02, Krisdrama wrote:
I purchased two tickets to the Pinup Makeup and Hair class because I missed out last year. Now I hear this is included in the VIP pass, which I purchased. Anyone interested in buying them from me? Or, is there any way to get a refund?

Hey Kris,

Email Babydoe (you can find her email address in the Member List) & explain your situation. I did the same thing you did & she refunded me immediately.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 319 replies